logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> What I Have Learned/How My Views Have Changed
Jaime
post May 30 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

Have your political views changed since joining America's Debate? Have you come to any great realizations, or have learned anything worth noting?

Feel free to post your thoughts and observations from the last year in this topic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Victoria Silverw...
post Jun 1 2005, 04:44 AM
Post #2

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 608

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Green Party

I keep getting pushed, more or less against my will, harder and harder to the left. I'd like to be a moderate; but the culture of the United States has moved so far to the right over the last couple of decades that all I see are two conservative political parties in control of everything, and I'm not fond of having to choose "very conservative" over "extremely conservative."

I've learned that the members of America's Debate are more libertarian than the general public. (Take the issue of same-sex marriage, which has much more support here than in the "real world.")

I've learned that I am very ignorant about many things.

+Quote Post
VDemosthenes
post Jun 2 2005, 03:06 PM
Post #3

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 4,252

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: Libertarian

My views since joining in January have changed quite a bit.

I now support stem-cell research but I am still one of the biggest pro-lifer's out there allowed to walk the streets.

I'm fairly sure homosexuality is more of a genetic choice than a person's choice.

(Disclaimer: I still couldn't imagine myself or anyone close to me being homosexual)

My conviction homosexual's should not marry has also grown stronger.

I've been forced from radical right-wing conservative-like tendencies to a more Moderate Conservative-Libertarian political stance.

Hmm, a general observation of debate sites: they always seem to host more men than women but A.) the women are always smarter than the men and B.) there are too many Independents! zipped.gif mad.gif

Just kidding, all the Independents know I love them... flowers.gif Oh hush up and have an ale. beer.gif

This post has been edited by VDemosthenes: Jun 2 2005, 03:51 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Jun 2 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #4

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

I've been here a while and have learned quite a bit over the past year as people post on the various subjects.

Most recently, a better understanding of the law, lawyers and judges has developed from those either in the business or close to it. I probably would not have done any research at all had it not been for AD, being as I'm about as interested in law as I am in yard work, which is pretty low.

I'm finally eating more fruit, a New Years resolution thread joke made, but now a reality. What is up with that, self-hypnosis? Someone sending out a little prayer? Whatever, it worked. I actually crave fruit these days.

Some things have been pounded in deeper, like a basic distrust of the government, especially when proposing going to war or liberation or whatever. More recently the distrust has grown from certain domestic proposals.

Our European participants have been enlightening on how things work in their countries, and a little on how perceptions of world events are different from different perspectives. Maybe more people from other countries will be participating for all of our benefits.

During the past election season, AD posts pointed me to many information sources I would not have been aware of otherwise. Just knowing what's available is enriching.

Well, I better water the garden now. Whoppeee!

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Jun 2 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #5

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

I have learned that there are many gifted members at this site, and their arguments are well-researched and thoroughly reasoned out. I admire so many posters here who represent the left, the right, and in between. Some posts are so well-crafted as to be elegant, and I wish that my powers of concentration were much better now so as to appreciate them more fully.

Sometimes I feel inadequate as a result. I feel that all I have is an instinct of what is right and what is wrong with a pretty decent vocabulary (most of the time) to express it. How much nicer it is to read a post that is filled with links that render the thought from a cabochon to a fully-faceted gem! flowers.gif

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Jun 2 2005, 07:04 PM

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Jun 2 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #6

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

Have your political views changed since joining America's Debate? Have you come to any great realizations, or have learned anything worth noting?

My political views hardened. My wife and I joined the Democratic Party. We put in volunteer time at the party HQ last year.

I had often in my life been told that I wrote well, but it was never anything that I saw personally. I had tried to sit down and write a novel, for instance, but never got past plot development. I can't describe people well, and I often fail to see how they interact.

Somewhere though, in the past couple of years, I have learned how to edit my letters of complaint. For example, I had read in the newspapers that I was entitled to one free credit report a year under new federal guidelines being phased in across the country. My local Credit Union had heard nothing of the sort and told me I was wrong. I got the information from my old Credit Union across the state, and compiled the following message for my current Credit Union:

FTC web site explaining the new law is at:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/freereports.htm

Your Access to Free Credit Reports

Soon you’ll be able to get your credit report for free. A recent amendment to the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. The FCRA promotes the accuracy and privacy of information in the files of the nation’s consumer reporting companies. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the FCRA with respect to consumer reporting companies.
(From the web site)

Michigan has been phased in, and Michigan residents may request one annual Credit report from each of three Credit Reporting Bureaus, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

You may obtain a free copy of your consumer credit report by contacting
the Annual Credit Report Request Service:

By Phone: (877)322-8228

Online: www.annualcreditreport.com

By mail: Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

And I can say with a straight face, that I am sharing this message with friends... (Having gone so far as to cross the continent to visit with friends from AD last year.) In these days when I am shy in person, and stuttering and losing my temper on the telephone, it is truly a blessing to have a way that I can communicate, and remember occasionally that I have something worth saying.

Thanks flowers.gif

+Quote Post
ConservPat
post Jun 7 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 415

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Independent

I've been further libertarianized this past year in AD. I plan on officially signing up with the Libertarians before the next election. I distrust the government even more. I don't like the Republicans or the Democrats, I find myself only really liking a few politicians. My cynicism toward the government, that I at first rejected, has grown at an amazing rate. I also am more outraged when our government breaks the laws, before I was moderately annoyed, now I'm angry. My view of the drug war has hardened, drugs for everybody, all of them...So as I said, I'm more L/libertarian.

CP us.gif

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Jun 7 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #8

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 927

Party affiliation: Other

Yes- the last election and the debates here have definately moved me firmly to the libertarian party, and I am now an officer of the "libertarians on campus"- and it is a joy to see the young faces so full of thier visions of utopian societies- only to have them dashed by cynical old men such as myself, all while trying to explore what is truly the best course for the most free society, and how to wrest power from the parties of the corporate elite LOL

The anti-sin proponents here, those that wish to legislate morality, probably have radicalized me more than ever. thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
turnea
post Jun 7 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #9

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

Member No.: 133

I think it's safe to say I've gotten progressively worse since joining this site. tongue.gif

This is a realization that happened a couple of years ago, but my position on abortion has softened significantly.

It's still annoying to see false statements like referring to a fetus as a "potential life" (sort of an oxymoron in biological terms) but I now realize that the decision on whether that life is worth protecting is a judgement call.

Blame Mrs. P.

That said I have become less the fiscal conservative I think, edging myself into firmly progressive waters on social spending. If we could find a national healthcare system that works, I'd support it.

Most people on this site become more libertarian, I just weird that way. I'm more in favor of the drug war than ever though it's being fought ineptly.

Foreign policy wise, I seen that certain international complaints against the US are perfectly reasonable.

I've also seen that many of them are downright crazy.

In the end I figure I've become more defined in already vaguely held stances rather than shifting greatly.

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Jun 7 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #10

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 927

Party affiliation: Other

There- you said it Turnea- I couldn't quite put my finger on it

In the end I figure I've become more defined in already vaguely held stances rather than shifting greatly.

Yes, I have sharpened my beliefs by evidence put forth by poeple on this board- that is it-

Thanks man! thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
SirAjh
post Jun 8 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,946

I've actually become more conservative since visiting this site. Yes, I'm still a liberal democrat, but I've come to see things is more perspective. I think both points of view should listen to each other because sometimes the other side makes more sense on some issues.

I also feel this libertarian magnetic pull. Although I would like to be a libertarian, I don't think it is possible for me because I favor social programs to help people.

From my understanding a liberterian is an economic conservative and social liberal.

+Quote Post
Christopher
post Jun 8 2005, 05:47 AM
Post #12

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 1,696

Party affiliation: Private

"I sort of consider myself a sovereign state. I don't recognize other governments within my borders" Repairman Jack

I used to crack jokes about various Constitution Freemen militia types--till I received a phone call from a kettle calling me black. cool.gif

While I try to respect the opinions of others I find that those who believe they have a right to dictate to me what to think and how to act--especially those who chirp about--"well the all knowing, all seeing, always righteous, majority of society hath proclaimed" or even worse justify by their personal religious views--bring me to just short of blind rage. But much like Jack Torrance I think I have it all under control and can get past it. whistling.gif

I freely admit I want the world to reflect how I see things-- So I will just have to try and unseat those who currently hold the reins. Not to replace them with another party system or entrant that will merely and inevitably become what was overthrown but to make it almost imossible for any one group to ever again gain control. So I hope the opportunity for “moderates” or “centrists” can lead somewhere if only to blessed gridlock—Remember America is only truly safe when Congress is not in session. us.gif

I came here a disaffected Republican and tried to be a big L libertarian--but most libertarians and lib organizations are worthless. Talk talk talk and never a decent idea to be found--at least anything that will ever get voters here to ever support them. just when you think they are going to finally pull it off and start another 3rd party assault on the ying/yang 2 party system they have to go and ruin it all by trying to get people to support selling the Grand Canyon for bungee jumping facilities and Old Faithful as the centerpiece of a condominium development.
The Libs here at AD are often the exception to the rule but don't really seem to be all that involved outside of maybe some donations to various organizations.

You should be able to hear my forehead clunk against my keyboard.

Repeatedly.....

What have I learned?
That as much fun as AD is it sadly does not reflect society at large and sometimes seems a waste of time. Many of my fellow citizens are more accurately portrayed by sites such as Free Republic and Daily KOS. Collective group think of the lowest sort. luckily I have a collection of bright shiny objects and we may be able to distract them long enough for the short attention span to kick in and then.......we can rule the world. mrsparkle.gif

That’s why this place is so nice to come to. It gives me hope that all will be well because you don’t need the masses to really do anything and that a few committed individuals can change the whole world.

That often what passes for debate is just 2 sides trying to either shout each other down or using selectively revealed research to support how they see the facts. Yet even when this is very apparent both sides here will still try to reach the other honestly and earnestly. That gives me hope, truly it does. Although I must admit that the day I learn I changed the opinion of some of the more obstinate members here I will run for President of the World the very next day. laugh.gif

I have also learned to never post when I am as tired as I usually am when I get the free time to come here.

My views have not really changed. I am as stubborn as always but no longer have any faith in any party. Much like Turnea said (In the end I figure I've become more defined in already vaguely held stances rather than shifting greatly.)

+Quote Post
lordhelmet
post Jun 8 2005, 06:24 AM
Post #13

Millennium Mark

Sponsor
June 2005

Group: BANNED
Member No.: 4,185

Politics: Undisclosed

QUOTE(Jaime @ May 30 2005, 03:34 PM)

Feel free to post your thoughts and observations from the last year in this topic.

I think that since joining AD I have gained more insight into the thought processes behind people who hold a wide range of ideas.

Have my views changed? Not really but on a few topics, my understanding of the issues has been increased. My views may possibly change on some issues since my point of view has been evolving since I was an adult.

The value, for me, has been the freedom to discuss/debate/argue a point of view in a "safe" environment. These sort of discussions among friends, colleagues, or even family could easily cause a fiasco in some cases. This freedom has allowed me to refine my ideas and in some case test those that perhaps I wasn't sure on in a "trial balloon" fashion.

It's also reaffirmed some of my core beliefs.

+Quote Post
Wertz
post Jun 8 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Advanced Senior

Sponsor
January 2003

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 181

Since joining America's Debate, I've definitely gained more weight - though I'm not sure if the two are related.

Allegedly, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I've at least modulated and moderated a few of my positions since I started posting here (about two years and nine months ago!). I've become even less enamored of the Democratic Party and, though I hadn't thought it possible, much less enamored with the Republican Party. I've certainly gained more respect for libertarianism, though I have not yet been moved to register with any political party (that's one trick I doubt this old dog will ever learn).

As a result of participating here, I've gained even more respect for the military than I already had, but far less respect for the way they're treated.

My position on the Second Amendment has become even stronger through debates - and I feel it should be amended to establish the individual right (which I still don't think it does in its present form). The Fourteenth Amendment should also be revised to make it clear that it refers to human beings and undo the worst act of "judicial activism" in our nation's history.

As evidenced by the above, I've had my feelings confirmed that the Constitution needs a bit of a re-write - though most of the revisions I'd suggest (making it clear that a wall of separation between church and state was intended from the outset, for example) would never fly with the yahoos that currently run this once-great country. I'd also like to see the judiciary protected from a lot of the current assaults on their authority and, prior to a lot of discussion here, I'd never have dreamed that the Constitutional balance of powers would be something that would actually need to be protected. Go figure.

I've also become a bit more of an isolationist - especially having seen what intervention can do in the totally wrong hands and the impact that it has had on the direction a lot of our political discourse has taken.

Most of my positions on social issues have remained fairly constant - though they've been considerably sharpened. One change, I suppose, is that I am now even more lukewarm about gay marriage - particularly since I think all marriage is a pretty flawed idea - and has become an almost entirely failed institution. Who wants to emulate that?

I have learned that I have more political positions than I imagined. Who knew one could feel passionately about seatbelts and speed limits? I've also learned that the religious right is far, far more dangerous than I ever imagined such an extremist minority could be.

One of the greatest insights I've had due to this place is that it is impossible to predict most people's views on anything. Just when you think you have some participant pegged as some sort of pigeon-holed partisan, they come out with something totally startling - sometimes refreshingly unexpected, sometimes a bit disappointing - but always stimulating. And, believe it or not, I think I've become a tad less judgemental of my peers.

Finally, as the last couple of years have seen a serious decline in media coverage of actual news and an even stronger shift toward corporatism, America's Debate has become one of my most valuable resources in terms of cutting through a lot of the spin (even if it's only been a matter of seeing how ridiculous some of that spin is by watching it being parroted here) and finding alternate views distilled from elsewhere on "teh internets".

While my participation flagged a bit this year due to a variety of those "circumstances beyond our control", I have remained an avid viewer of the site - and would like to thank everyone for making this place the oasis that it is - and Jaime and Mike for creating it in the first place. flowers.gif

+Quote Post
BoF
post Jun 8 2005, 10:54 AM
Post #15

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE(lordhelmet @ Jun 8 2005, 12:24 AM)
The value, for me, has been the freedom to discuss/debate/argue a point of view in a "safe" environment.  These sort of discussions among friends, colleagues, or even family could easily cause a fiasco in some cases.  This freedom has allowed me to refine my ideas and in some case test those that perhaps I wasn't sure on in a "trial balloon" fashion.

This is true. Try being a “liberal” in Texas, George W. Bush’s backyard. Well, it’s really my backyard, because I was here first, but you get the idea. Actually, I go head-to-head, toe-to-toe, tooth-to-tooth and eyeball-to-eyeball with anyone (including friends and what family members I have left) who will give me a spirited argument in a Texas style shoot-out reminiscent of the confrontation between Chris Matthews and Zell Miller. I'm exaggerating, but I enjoy playing to the Texas stereotype occasionally y'all. The only people I don't bother with are those sightless souls who blandly parrot the line about "not talking about religion or politics." If they don't want to move to the other side of the coffee shop, I will. If I write a letter-to-the-editor someone doesn't like, I consider that their problem.

I’ve got an idea LH--you move to Texas and I’ll move to Michigan. laugh.gif

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Jun 2 2005, 01:50 PM)
My political views hardened. My wife and I joined the Democratic Party. We put in volunteer time at the party HQ last year.

My views have also hardened, not just in the last year, but the past four plus years. I did not like George W. Bush when he was Governor of Texas and like him increasingly less. It surprises even me that my distaste for the man grows daily.

I have been a Democrat since 1960. I was a senior in high school and John F. Kennedy was running for president. Starting with George McGovern’s bid in 1972, I have worked in a number of presidential and congressional as well as state and local races. My favorite currently elected politician is Lon Burnham, who represents my state legislative district. Theory wise it's that strain of Midwestern thought exemplified by Hubert Humphrey, George McGovern, Walter Mondale and Paul Wellstone.

What I’ve learned since August of last year, when I joined AD, is that Bush’s popularity and that of the Republican Party has migrated to parts of the country I could not have guessed. sad.gif

This post has been edited by BoF: Jun 8 2005, 11:34 AM

+Quote Post
moif
post Jun 8 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #16

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

Yes, but I'm not sure if its specifically because of this site or rather because of the internet in general...

Over the course of the last several years I have steadily lost my faith in the United States. As a younger man I looked towards America as being on 'our side'. In my perception we stood together against the tyranny of the Soviet Union and those forces of religious darkness and oppression that clouded over so much of the rest of the world.

Then I got internet access and actually 'met' Americans and the first thing I discovered was just how negative so many Americans regarded Europe (and me as a consequence). It came as a great surprise to be met with so many cruel comments about the second world war, about European, (and in particular French cowardice) and about the balance of power between the USA and the EU. I had always assumed the Americans were our allies because they were like us and bcause they liked us.

I see now was wrong. America is not our friend and whilst there are voices of moderation in the USA, the general attitude in the USA appears to be an underlying hostility towards Europe and everything we believe in. As a consequence I became equally hard in my criticism of the USA.

Coming to AD has not really shifted my general political perceptions, but it has changed the way I express myself and how I perceive my own position on many issues. It has also helped me clarify in my head what it is I believe in. Where as once, even as late as two years ago, I would sanction pre-emptive military action, today I am totally opposed to it. Once upon a time I believed that force could grant stability. Now I realise this is the same old self perpetuating myth that led to all the wars of history.

It still sits oddly with me, but I am become a jaded pacifist as a result of my internet interactions.

+Quote Post
lordhelmet
post Jun 8 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #17

Millennium Mark

Sponsor
June 2005

QUOTE(BoF @ Jun 8 2005, 06:54 AM)

I’ve got an idea LH--you move to Texas and I’ll move to Michigan. laugh.gif

Sure, no problem.

Make sure we make the switch in time for me to vote against Lon Burnham though.....

+Quote Post
Nemo
post Jun 8 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #18

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 4,789

Party affiliation: Undisclosed

I have learned (and much to my chagrin) that patience does not increase with advancing age. As to this, the philosopher Epictetus advised to learn to suffer fools, accounting it half of all wisdom.

+Quote Post
lordhelmet
post Jun 8 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #19

Millennium Mark

Sponsor
June 2005

QUOTE(moif @ Jun 8 2005, 07:50 AM)
Then I got internet access and actually 'met' Americans and the first thing I discovered was just how negative so many Americans regarded Europe (and me as a consequence). It came as a great surprise to be met with so many cruel comments about the second world war, about European, (and in particular French cowardice) and about the balance of power between the USA and the EU. I had always assumed the Americans were our allies because they were like us and bcause they liked us.

I see now was wrong. America is not our friend and whilst there are voices of moderation in the USA, the general attitude in the USA appears to be an underlying hostility towards Europe and everything we believe in. As a consequence I became equally hard in my criticism of the USA.

You've got your cause and effect backwards. I'm currently in a European town that was largely destroyed during WWII by allied bombing. And it's rebuilt. And beautiful. The Americans through the Marshall Plan largely funded the entire project.

Everyone knows I'm an American, yet, I've not enountered any people attacking me.

Hostility toward Europe? Well, some have some hard feelings against some specific European governments....like FRANCE who were complicit with Hussein.

During Reagan, who was it who said that Reagan was a greater threat to Peace than the expansionist USSR? Which country protected Western Europe from being swallowed up by the evil empire?

And the Bush bashing buy the European press started way before the Iraq war. It started IMMEDIATELY upon his election.

I think that you should put your views in perspective.

This post has been edited by lordhelmet: Jun 8 2005, 07:06 PM

+Quote Post
Jaime
post Jun 8 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

It REALLY sucks I have to post a moderation note in a thread that is supposed to be FUN. This is not a debate thread. Please share your feelings on what you have learned or how you have changed since joining AD and that's it. down.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: June 20th, 2018 - 11:40 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.