logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> Cell Phones in school?
GoAmerica
post Nov 3 2003, 12:41 AM
Post #1

Group: BANNED
Member No.: 381

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Republican

The thread on Cameras in Schools got me thinking about this. This debate also came up after the shootings at Columbine.

The advantages are obvious:

1: If there is a school shooting, you have easy access to a phone.
2: If you need to call home because you forgot something, you don't have to waste money on payphones

Disadvantages:

1: Distraction. School is for learning and not for playing.
2: The new cell phones with cameras would be a big privacy problem.

So what's your view?
Should cell phones be allowed in school?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Corvus
post Nov 3 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #2

Century Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,528

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

No, I don't believe so. I got through school without ever using a mobile phone. How many kids really do use the thing to ring home, and don't use it to instead send text messages to other people, or keep themselves occupied playing games during a boring lecture?

If the kid doesn't have the money for a pay phone, and it's urgent, I'm certain the school admin/office section would accommodate them with one of their phones.

+Quote Post
doomed_planet
post Nov 3 2003, 02:06 AM
Post #3

Five Hundred Club

Sponsor
December 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 1,097

Party affiliation: None

QUOTE(GoAmerica @ Nov 3 2003, 12:41 AM)
  1: If there is a school shooting, you have easy access to a phone.

So what's your view?
Should cell phones be allowed in school?

Cell phones do not belong in the classroom. Perhaps a student
could store it in his/her locker while in class. It would be too much
of a distraction to have tons of cell phones ringing and occupying
kids' attention while the teacher is trying to teach.

P.S. Handy to have in case of a school shooting?
What are the odds (statistically speaking) of that?

+Quote Post
SuzySteamboat
post Nov 3 2003, 02:43 AM
Post #4

I'm in ur White House, packin ur courts.

Sponsor
July 2005

Member No.: 962

Politics: Very Liberal

When people forget to turn them off, yes, it's very annoying and mildly disruptive. But adults aren't the only people who have emergencies, or who need to be accessible at all times, and I think it's idiotic to say that just because someone is in school, that they don't. I think cell phones should be allowed in school, especially when teachers are allowed to have them.

+Quote Post
PavyDebate
post Nov 3 2003, 03:41 AM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE(Corvus @ Nov 3 2003, 12:50 AM)
No, I don't believe so. I got through school without ever using a mobile phone. How many kids really do use the thing to ring home, and don't use it to instead send text messages to other people, or keep themselves occupied playing games during a boring lecture?

If the kid doesn't have the money for a pay phone, and it's urgent, I'm certain the school admin/office section would accommodate them with one of their phones.

I tend to disagree with you your opinion. I think cell phones should be allowed in school, but only under special circumstances. Students should have to have them off all day long. Otherwise students might start playing games or text messaging friends during important classes.

And as stated earlier, I highly agree that it is annoying to hear ring tones going on and off all day long when you are trying to concentrate on your studies. But if cell phones were kept off all day long, we would not have this type of problem.

Cell phones should be allowed on before, and after school hours. Students might need rides home from school or sporting events. A student may decide to stay after school and get some help with his or her studies and might have to call their mom or dad to let them know.

Parents might also feel safer if their children have cell phones with them. In the case of an emergency, a parent would be able to contact their child immediately. This would cause less worrying on the parents part, and they would feel at ease knowing that their child is out of harms way.

+Quote Post
popeye47
post Nov 3 2003, 03:59 AM
Post #6

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 1,453

QUOTE(SuzySteamboat @ Nov 3 2003, 02:43 AM)
When people forget to turn them off, yes, it's very annoying and mildly disruptive. But adults aren't the only people who have emergencies, or who need to be accessible at all times, and I think it's idiotic to say that just because someone is in school, that they don't. I think cell phones should be allowed in school, especially when teachers are allowed to have them.

Just because teachers are allowed to have them doesn't mean that students have the same right. Someone has to be in charge and hopefully that is the teacher. Youngsters are so used to having everything their way,that they forget who is in charge. The student is there to get an education,not questioning whether they can have cellphones or not.

So my answer is that they should not be allowed to have cellphones in school. zipped.gif

+Quote Post
SoCaliente_1
post Nov 3 2003, 04:13 AM
Post #7

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 1,234

Politics: Private

students bringing phones to class should be made to turn them off during class. If they ring and disrupt they ought to be taken away.

Most, if not all classrooms are equipped with telephones for teachers. every parent knows or SHOULD know that in the event of a real emergency, in which a student needs be notified, a call to the main office first is the right course of action.

+Quote Post
Corvus
post Nov 3 2003, 04:18 AM
Post #8

Century Mark

Member No.: 1,528

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

QUOTE(PavyDebate @ Nov 3 2003, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE(Corvus @ Nov 3 2003, 12:50 AM)

I tend to disagree with you your opinion. I think cell phones should be allowed in school, but only under special circumstances. Students should have to have them off all day long. Otherwise students might start playing games or text messaging friends during important classes.

And as stated earlier, I highly agree that it is annoying to hear ring tones going on and off all day long when you are trying to concentrate on your studies. But if cell phones were kept off all day long, we would not have this type of problem.

Cell phones should be allowed on before, and after school hours. Students might need rides home from school or sporting events. A student may decide to stay after school and get some help with his or her studies and might have to call their mom or dad to let them know.

Parents might also feel safer if their children have cell phones with them. In the case of an emergency, a parent would be able to contact their child immediately. This would cause less worrying on the parents part, and they would feel at ease knowing that their child is out of harms way.

But... if they have the cell phones off during the day, the only time parents can contact them is after school. If the parents can wait until after school, they can just as easily wait until their child gets home.

There's also the problem of enforcing the "all cell phones off" rule when students can easily turn the sounds off.

Really, if it's urgent, I'm sure most school offices can receive any messages and would be willing to allow students to make calls, if they don't have any money for pay phones.

+Quote Post
SuzySteamboat
post Nov 3 2003, 04:26 AM
Post #9

Sponsor
July 2005

QUOTE(popeye47 @ Nov 2 2003, 10:59 PM)

Just because teachers are allowed to have them doesn't mean that students have the same right. Someone has to be in charge and hopefully that is the teacher. Youngsters are so used to having everything their way,that they forget who is in charge. The student is there to get an education,not questioning whether they can have cellphones or not.

So my answer is that they should not be allowed to have cellphones in school. zipped.gif

Popeye, it is hypocritical for a school to allow teachers to have them and not students. Students are human beings like everyone else, and they have emergencies as well, as well as many practical reasons for needing a cell phone. Yes, someone has to be in charge. How is allowing students to have cell phones undermining the teacher's authority? Then you label all students to have forgotten who was in charge. Youngsters are so out of control and disrespectful these days; I'm sure when you were in school, no one ever misbehaved. wacko.gif The last I heard, there wasn't any giant movement of students, disrupting classes to stage protests to allow them to have cell phones in school. Just because they're in school, you think they shouldn't question rules they think are unreasonable? I'm sorry, I wouldn't want to live in a society who schools its people to unquestionably accept everything. I lost my cell phone over a year ago, and I've had to spent a nice little bit of change to make calls ever since. It's nice to be able to call your parents and say "I didn't finish this test during the bell, so I'm staying after school to do so." Many students use the cell phones for good purposes, and the ones who don't should have them confiscated. I don't think it's reasonable to prohibit all students from having them based on the possible misconduct of a few.

+Quote Post
popeye47
post Nov 3 2003, 04:46 AM
Post #10

Five Hundred Club

QUOTE(SuzySteamboat @ Nov 3 2003, 04:26 AM)
QUOTE(popeye47 @ Nov 2 2003, 10:59 PM)

Popeye, it is hypocritical for a school to allow teachers to have them and not students. Students are human beings like everyone else, and they have emergencies as well, as well as many practical reasons for needing a cell phone. Yes, someone has to be in charge. How is allowing students to have cell phones undermining the teacher's authority? Then you label all students to have forgotten who was in charge. Youngsters are so out of control and disrespectful these days; I'm sure when you were in school, no one ever misbehaved. wacko.gif The last I heard, there wasn't any giant movement of students, disrupting classes to stage protests to allow them to have cell phones in school. Just because they're in school, you think they shouldn't question rules they think are unreasonable? I'm sorry, I wouldn't want to live in a society who schools its people to unquestionably accept everything. I lost my cell phone over a year ago, and I've had to spent a nice little bit of change to make calls ever since. It's nice to be able to call your parents and say "I didn't finish this test during the bell, so I'm staying after school to do so." Many students use the cell phones for good purposes, and the ones who don't should have them confiscated. I don't think it's reasonable to prohibit all students from having them based on the possible misconduct of a few.

I still think students shouldn't be allowed to have cellphones.

And I think you made a point in my favor. You said 'youngsters are so out of control and disrespectful these days'. You answered your question. Youngsters are disrespectful and out of control because they are used to getting their way. They want cellphones and we say,sure honey, whatever you want. We try to appease them instead of the teachers being the authority.

Yes we had less behavior problems when I was going to school compared to now. Why,because there were some rules and someone with some authority,unlike now. mad.gif wacko.gif

+Quote Post
SuzySteamboat
post Nov 3 2003, 04:56 AM
Post #11

Sponsor
July 2005

QUOTE(popeye47 @ Nov 2 2003, 11:46 PM)

And I think you made a point in my favor. You said 'youngsters are so out of control and disrespectful these days'. You answered your question. Youngsters are disrespectful and out of control because they are used to getting their way. They want cellphones and we say,sure honey, whatever you want. We try to appease them instead of the teachers being the authority.

Yes we had less behavior problems when I was going to school compared to now. Why,because there were some rules and someone with some authority,unlike now.  

When I said "youngsters are so out of control and disrespectful these days" I was being sarcastic. You seem to imagine schools nowadays as being a sort of zoo, with students in the classrooms jumping on desks and the teacher cowering defenselessly in a corner. The reason you believe students shouldn't have cellphones is because they want them, so to show them who's boss we shouldn't allow them? Your stance is to make a point, so no matter what valid reasons students have for wanting the cellphones, you simply want to deprive them of something they want because you think all kids are spoiled and selfish and need discipline.
That's not a very nice thing to do.
No one is trying to "appease" anyone. You obviously haven't been in school for a very long time, and I'm in school right now. I think this would make me a slightly better expert on what goes on in school, and it's nothing like you imagine. You are basing your opinions on an outlandish view of public schools, and that's not fair. Geez, no one is asking to abolish rules on student conduct, or drug policies, or anything that would make the schools unsafer and give the students more power. Students get in situations where they need to contact people immediately. Cell phones are a method of doing this. Taking away this method for everyone because of the possibility of a few abusing it is unreasonable. Taking away this method simply because you want to deprive them of something they want is childish. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Momof3
post Nov 3 2003, 06:17 AM
Post #12

That's Mom to you!

Member No.: 10

Politics: Private
Party affiliation: Private

My son graduated a yr. ago from high school. He was not allowed to a have a cell phone at that time. But in fact he did. He kept it on vibration. He did not have a car working at the time so on my lunch he would call and I would pick him up and take him to work. If he had to use a pay phone that was not his cell he would of had to have charged it to my phone. That would of cost even more money.
They now allow cell phones at his school and I think they should.
They are not allowed to have them on but in between classes and going to another they can check to see if there is a message.
And there were times I did leave a message to say I would be a couple mins. late and he felt more secured knowing I was ok but would be there a couple mins late.
You don't need that phone to be one. Just be able to check a message if there is one. I think it a good idea! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cephus
post Nov 3 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #13

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 896

Politics: Moderate

Most of us managed to get through school without cell phones, laptops, PDAs, etc. and it didn't kill us. And we had the same emergencies, people just called the office and someone went to the classroom and got us. Nobody is so busy that they need to be in constant contact with everyone every second of the day. Cell phones are handy, but hardly a requirement and they should not be permitted in schools, period.

+Quote Post
Cadman
post Nov 3 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #14

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 1,193

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: Democrat

For schools I dont have a problem with students having cell phones as long as they are not being used during class. I would not go as far as to say turn them off rather have on vibrate mode so that you know if you have a message you can check after class is over. Even though this could still be a distraction sometimes emergencies come up and why not use the technology we have to make life easier.

+Quote Post
Looms
post Nov 4 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #15

Senior Contributor

Sponsor
January 2004

Member No.: 1,416

QUOTE(Cephus @ Nov 3 2003, 10:24 PM)
Most of us managed to get through school without cell phones, laptops, PDAs, etc. and it didn't kill us.

At one point people lived with no electricity, and it did not kill them either. Should we get rid of everything that isn't life or death? Just because something is not essential for survival doesn't mean it's not convenient. There is no reason students should not have cel phones, as long as they keep them on vibrate during class.

+Quote Post
popeye47
post Nov 4 2003, 03:15 AM
Post #16

Five Hundred Club

QUOTE(SuzySteamboat @ Nov 3 2003, 04:56 AM)
QUOTE(popeye47 @ Nov 2 2003, 11:46 PM)

Yes we had less behavior problems when I was going to school compared to now. Why,because there were some rules and someone with some authority,unlike now.  

When I said "youngsters are so out of control and disrespectful these days" I was being sarcastic. You seem to imagine schools nowadays as being a sort of zoo, with students in the classrooms jumping on desks and the teacher cowering defenselessly in a corner. The reason you believe students shouldn't have cellphones is because they want them, so to show them who's boss we shouldn't allow them? Your stance is to make a point, so no matter what valid reasons students have for wanting the cellphones, you simply want to deprive them of something they want because you think all kids are spoiled and selfish and need discipline.
That's not a very nice thing to do.
No one is trying to "appease" anyone. You obviously haven't been in school for a very long time, and I'm in school right now. I think this would make me a slightly better expert on what goes on in school, and it's nothing like you imagine. You are basing your opinions on an outlandish view of public schools, and that's not fair. Geez, no one is asking to abolish rules on student conduct, or drug policies, or anything that would make the schools unsafer and give the students more power. Students get in situations where they need to contact people immediately. Cell phones are a method of doing this. Taking away this method for everyone because of the possibility of a few abusing it is unreasonable. Taking away this method simply because you want to deprive them of something they want is childish. dry.gif

One of these days when you mature more you will realize that an old fashioned person makes sense. Now at your age I don't really expect you to understand. I have a daughter who just graduated from high school, and yes I do know what goes on in schools. So please don't make assumptions when you don't know the whole story.

My stance is still the same regarding cellphones in schools. A lot of it was based on my daughters views. And contrary to what you say, discipline is definitely a problem in most schools. It isn't out of control,but teachers are not respected as they should be. mad.gif

+Quote Post
SuzySteamboat
post Nov 4 2003, 03:36 AM
Post #17

Sponsor
July 2005

One of these days when you mature more you will realize that an old fashioned person makes sense. Now at your age I don't really expect you to understand. I have a daughter who just graduated from high school, and yes I do know what goes on in schools. So please don't make assumptions when you don't know the whole story.

My stance is still the same regarding cellphones in schools. A lot of it was based on my daughters views. And contrary to what you say, discipline is definitely a problem in most schools. It isn't out of control,but teachers are not respected as they should be.

I'd need some stats to back up your assertion that "discipline is definitely a problem in most schools." Even if it were, taking away cell phones from people who want to use them for valid reasons in no way helps this "widespread" problem of teacher disrespect. How the hell are cell phones and teacher disrespect related? blink.gif Allowing students to have cell phones in school will somehow lead to more unstable classrooms? I don't understand the basis of your fears.
Thank you for using my age as a reason to dismiss my opinions as being wrong. You're, gratefully, only the second person on this site to do that. I'd expect more from a member of America's Debate, but I know no one's perfect. I'm so young and immature, what the hell do I know anyway? You wise old people know everything. mad.gif

+Quote Post
Jaime
post Nov 4 2003, 03:40 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

popeye47 - please avoid ageist remarks. Debate the issues and do not be condescending just because a member is willing to share their age with us.

+Quote Post
Looms
post Nov 4 2003, 04:17 AM
Post #19

Senior Contributor

Sponsor
January 2004

Member No.: 1,416

QUOTE(popeye47 @ Nov 4 2003, 03:15 AM)
One of these days when you mature more you will realize that an old fashioned person makes sense.

IMO, that statement is idiotic on levels I cannot even begin to touch. What exactly is an old fashioned person, and what makes sense about them? As far as I know there have been entirely different people through all time periods. That statement says absolutely nothing, and in fact is a way of you saying that a person exactly like YOU makes sense. mad.gif

Back to the topic, what happens if students have phones that are set on vibrate? What it the impact of that? Other than the fact that its something they want and don't have, so THERE! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
popeye47
post Nov 4 2003, 04:37 AM
Post #20

Five Hundred Club

QUOTE(Looms @ Nov 4 2003, 04:17 AM)
QUOTE(popeye47 @ Nov 4 2003, 03:15 AM)
One of these days when you mature more you will realize that an old fashioned person makes sense.

IMO, that statement is idiotic on levels I cannot even begin to touch. What exactly is an old fashioned person, and what makes sense about them? As far as I know there have been entirely different people through all time periods. That statement says absolutely nothing, and in fact is a way of you saying that a person exactly like YOU makes sense. mad.gif

Back to the topic, what happens if students have phones that are set on vibrate? What it the impact of that? Other than the fact that its something they want and don't have, so THERE! rolleyes.gif

To answer your question just in case you don't have a dictionary:

1old–fash•ioned \"old-"fa-shend\ adj 1 : out-of-date, antiquated 2 : conservative

In other words my ideas are so outdated that people like you love to make fun of us and use words like idiotic . I assume you were trying to impress me with all your liberal wisdom. And all I have is a few gray hairs and dumb as an ox.

And since I have been criticized and put down as an old worthless,old fashioned person, I probably will be reprimanded again for truthfully answering yours and Suzys questions. w00t.gif mad.gif sad.gif

Have a pleasant night and sweet dreams flowers.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: February 20th, 2018 - 05:28 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.