logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> The status of freedom in the United States, freedom versus authoritarianism
Gray Seal
post Apr 9 2019, 02:25 PM
Post #1

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 335

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: None

Is this a choice between rights and democratic capitulation?

What is the value of freedom in the United States to most voters?

I am not sure most people even know what freedom means. I do not think we teach it in our schools. Freedom is just a word we sing in some of our patriotic songs.

We seem to have voters who see government as a means of gaining advantage. Protecting freedom does not appear to be high on anyone's list of importance.

People are squabbling over who gets to be in charge; whose values get to be forced upon others.

Government continues to get bigger. Regulation continues to amass. Values are christened in our legislatures.

What does freedom mean to you?

Why are people most decidedly choosing authoritarian government over government protecting freedom?

Is this a good idea? Why or why not?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Hobbes
post Apr 11 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

The ability to do mostly what I want so long as it doesn't infringe on other's rights to do the same.

Why are people most decidedly choosing authoritarian government over government protecting freedom?

Everybody wants their definition of freedom enforced on others.

Nope. It's usually not even tyranny of the majority, which would still be a bad idea, but often tyranny of the minority. Every group, regardless of size, wants their little issue addressed and enforced by government...and government abides because they need to do that to get their votes.

it's all part of The Inevitable Fall of Democracy.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Apr 20 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #3

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Being of the generation that had the Vietnam draft to deal with, the idea that freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose makes a lot of sense. It also falls in line with the idea that to get on the good side of God, you need to get rid of your wealth.

But then there's the freedom to choose: your occupations, your physical location; what you live in, where you go to get stuff and to repair stuff, what you wear -- and all that takes money to accomplish. In this sense, the wealthier you get, the more freedom you have.

For example. I'm very concentrated on music now that I'm retired. But in order to pursue this occupation, it takes money. I have N amount of money/credit, so I can move ahead but not as fast as sometimes I want. Other times, it's better to review what I've already got, which requires time.

So add to wealth the dimension of time. You might be the richest person in the world, but you also might not have any time to freely pursue your desired occupations.

Another way to look at freedom is not being concerned about anything. The ultimate type of this freedom is death.

Fear.

It depends on what's feared. Fear of terrorism probably doesn't lead to any good outcome, but fear of tainted food supplies does. You know, if you're free enough to do anything about that fear.

BTW, a government with authority is necessary. It isn't the same as an authoritarian government, which goes way overboard usually due to an overload of crisis. It's like volume in music: Some volume is always needed, but too much volume is downright painful.

It will also cause deafness, kinda like too much authority causes death.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: May 23rd, 2019 - 03:49 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.