logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Say Something Nice about President Trump, Sincerely or sarcastically, it's casual confabbing
AuthorMusician
post Jan 23 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Say something nice about President Trump with sincerity and/or sarcasm.

I'm reminded of my Dale Carnegie class after telling off an IT director to his retired military face that I'd warned him via email and in person that doing something would result in something else that would turn out very bad. It did, bringing a major revenue-generating system to its knees for over three very costly days, and there he was trying to pin it on me. What a sorry excuse for an IT director was the gist of it from me, and so the class where I was supposed to learn how to control my anger.

During the class I had to tell an officer-in-training for Focus on the Family something nice about him. I have the identical thing to tell President Trump:

Nice tie.

And I can add to it:

Gee, I've never seen a tie that long. You could use it to strangle Lady Liberty and Justice at the same time.

Also:

It sure was nice to see you walking to the White House with your hot mom surrogate.

Well, there's the sarcasm. Sincerity follows:

Mr. President, you are the most consistent one yet, being exactly the same after winning as before.

Well, I guess that could also be sarcasm. Maybe you'll do better on the sincerity side.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Jan 23 2017, 03:59 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Mrs. Pigpen
post Jan 23 2017, 10:02 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

I like how he doesn't change his appearance based on ridicule.
Most people would, by this point, stop being orange...or get a better lid
(the super affluent folk can get plugs these days and not look like Chia pets...but bald too is in vogue...or just a really good hair hat).

But he won't cave to peer pressure. thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Jan 25 2017, 02:19 PM
Post #3

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ Jan 23 2017, 06:02 PM) *
(the super affluent folk can get plugs these days and not look like Chia pets...but bald too is in vogue...or just a really good hair hat).

Speaking of pressure, the word trump has a meaning as a a slang term in Merry Ole England:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux848MsW_b4

As far as I know, he is the first POTUS with this distinction. Note that it's not the bouquet but the amplitude of the sound that's important.

Perhaps at some later day we'll have a President Raspberry, but until that time comes to us in all its tween glory, President Trump wins the wind award.

It really makes me wonder who was advising what alternative the family could use for Drumpf.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Jan 25 2017, 04:41 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Jan 26 2017, 09:11 PM
Post #4

Sponsor
November 2003

Dearest President Trump:

You need a makeover, which will make you look more presidential and less like a college kid going to his first real job interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ajUDl7JrA

The principle here is to dress for success, but if you don't care and feel there are no more successes to be had in your life, it's time to retire. There's no shame in that; we all have to give it up for the newer generations eventually.

You basically have good material to work with from the appearance perspective.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Jan 29 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #5

Sponsor
November 2003

The Trump presidency is looking more like Vietnam with each passing day in this sense: The presidency is becoming the central point upon which diverse political factions are coming together. So you've got feminists joining with sexual-orientation-rights types joining with immigration policy liberals joining with associated business interests joining with anti-torture activists joining with fiscal conservatives joining with political conservatives who understand the consequences of actions like killing the filibuster.

Vietnam brought these or similar factions together in the 1960s and 70s. It took several years before the common wisdom became anti-war, that particular war, but the Trump presidency has done it in just one week. It's not anti-war this time but anti-stupidity, or maybe anti-short-sightedness. Saying outrageously asinine things is obviously a lot different than turning them into policies.

So we witness things like a tariff on Mexico being proposed and quickly rescinded. We see things like the ACA being attacked but then supported, then attacked again and then supported again. We behold as anti-immigration is pushed forth and pulled back as the legalities are challenged. Perhaps the most impacting thing this past week was the attack on truth by the alt-facts argument that was dead way before arriving.

Although certainly not intended, the Trump presidency has performed a positive service for the country by showing just how unworkable alt-right ideas are in today's world. It has exposed the truth behind those who push relentlessly against our fundamental principles, such as the freedom of the press. A powerful stimulus for the resistance growing beyond factions is fear about what will come to pass should this presidency get its ways, and that fear crosses political boundaries as well.

Add to this instant fact-checking and the high availability of historical data, along with the universally understood advantages/disadvantages of the Information Age, and we witness the compression of time this go-round. Also the rather pathetic attempts at putting the information genie back in the bottle, such as calling the press the real enemy and trying to to put gags on scientists. Yeah right, go suck eggs Mr. B. All you're doing is telling us that you can't handle the truth. Nor can President Trump, but his problem is a lot more personal.

So what will be happening in the weeks to come? Might we see a surge in private funding for women's reproductive health centers? Full independence of PBS and NPR? Actual universal health care? States standing for their rights (beyond the right to be racist)?

Maybe it'll be more anti-democratic moves against cities or the declaration of martial law. Maybe there will be more wars starting. This is a time of higher than usual uncertainty and fear of the future. And like Vietnam did with Johnson and Nixon, it could bring the country together in its opposition to the Trump presidency.

But a whole lot faster this time . . . future shock to the Nth power.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Jan 29 2017, 08:57 AM

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Jan 31 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #6

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 225

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Private

Let's say Trump has increased an interest in politics or as the late English writer Samuel Johnson offered "The knowledge that one is to be hanged the next morning wonderfully concentrates the mind." flowers.gif

There is also a certain logic that asks if human beings are the main affliction of this planet wouldn't a fast major reduction of that affliction be a benefit. Trump has given a new stark vision of that possibility. hmmm.gif

MORE TREES, LESS PEOPLE!

TOOLS FOR NEED, NOT GREED!

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Jan 31 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Sponsor
November 2003

I'm not sure what I admire more, that Trump & Co. act the way they do or the great acting these people do in their comedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U0NhUg44cA

This is what happens when reality emulates fiction: The comedy writes itself, which frees the talent to concentrate on selling the premises via annoying talk show mannerisms.

So the nice thing to say is, what a stimulus for higher quality in comedy you've become, Mister President! And the sarcastic thing to say is exactly the same. It depends on which voice you use, Brian's or Stewie's.

+Quote Post
net2007
post Feb 2 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #8

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 7,629

Party affiliation: Republican

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Jan 23 2017, 10:54 AM) *

I'm reminded of my Dale Carnegie class after telling off an IT director to his retired military face that I'd warned him via email and in person that doing something would result in something else that would turn out very bad. It did, bringing a major revenue-generating system to its knees for over three very costly days, and there he was trying to pin it on me. What a sorry excuse for an IT director was the gist of it from me, and so the class where I was supposed to learn how to control my anger.

During the class I had to tell an officer-in-training for Focus on the Family something nice about him. I have the identical thing to tell President Trump:

Nice tie.

And I can add to it:

Gee, I've never seen a tie that long. You could use it to strangle Lady Liberty and Justice at the same time.

Also:

It sure was nice to see you walking to the White House with your hot mom surrogate.

Mr. President, you are the most consistent one yet, being exactly the same after winning as before.

Well, I guess that could also be sarcasm. Maybe you'll do better on the sincerity side.

I'd tell him that his hair has great aerodynamic flow. tongue.gif Trump should get at least one hair joke from everyone, he isn't bald yet he does a comb over, hmmm.gif

On a serious note, he wants to get to work fast which is a good sign. Unless of course, you don't agree with what he's doing.

I'd also agree with you that he's the same as he was during the election. In some ways that's a good thing although I was hoping he'd lay off of the Twitter account some.

+Quote Post
Looms
post Feb 4 2017, 06:33 PM
Post #9

Senior Contributor

Sponsor
January 2004

Member No.: 1,416

Party affiliation: None

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Jan 23 2017, 10:54 AM) *

Nice tie.

And I can add to it:

Also:

He's the first president in my lifetime that is fulfilling his campaign promises and doing exactly what he said he would. He doesn't give a rat's bum about political correctness and doesn't hesitate to call Islamic terrorism what it is or to take action against it. He seems to understand that the duty of the US government is to US citizens and not the rest of world. He is very much pro-Israel and will not hold them on a leash for the sake of the "Palestinians".

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Feb 9 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #10

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

Say something nice about President Trump with sincerity and/or sarcasm:

I am looking forward to a future season of "The Apprentice" erring on C SPAN as first Congressmen and then Senators compete for air time as they try to protect their long term political futures by not being the Senator who casts the deciding vote that will allow The President of The Senate to say, "Donald J. Trump, You're Fired!"

I believe that my High School American History teacher stated that when President Johnson was impeached in 1868, the final Senator to vote, voted to not impeach him. Then, he was successfully primaried out of the Senate in his next election cycle, He went on to tell us that his final attempt to stay in public office was an unsuccessful run for dog catcher.

I truly believe that this President will be impeached, and his defense when he is called to stand trial in the Senate, will be to Tweet that he is above the law and cannot be compelled to stand trial while he is the President.

If our current Pressident succeeds in unifying both Houses of Congress to oust him without dissent or division; they may find more common ground in the next few years!

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Feb 9 2017, 07:50 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Feb 12 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #11

Sponsor
November 2003

The Trump presidency has brought out details of our laws that I wasn't aware of before. For example, I didn't know that a US Senator could be silenced if the things being said about another Senator were to be deemed disparaging to his/her character. I also didn't know that it's illegal for regular citizens to talk with foreign officials under certain conditions. Both of these laws are infrequently used. Makes me wonder what new things I'll learn before this presidency is over.

Directly related, it seems the anti-Trump movement has overtaken the TEA movement. I'm fairly certain it's because there's something for everyone, except current Trump supporters. Will this translate in a Washingtonian power shift? Maybe not because there is something for everyone, and that could very well become a splintering of the electorate into many pieces. There's something to be said about keeping a political movement focused on a couple of issues. So this makes the 2017-18 election season more interesting than most mid-terms, since the formerly obvious change was to vote in Democrats, giving Congress to them over the current Republican powers. This season, third-parties might be the more popular choices within the electorate.

Unrelated directly to Trump but directly to the anti-Trump movement are the millennials coming of age. Teens will be heading into their twenties, and twenty-somethings will be closer to the dreaded commencement of middle age. So more mature brains and the inevitable loss of peak physical condition could impact voting choices. Not sure if we'll see the return of yuppies or something similar, but the younger part of the electorate will be a couple years older. It makes a difference on how people see the world. Add to this how millenials have rejected a lot of the materialism, the concept of marriage, and living with the yearning for an America that never existed.

So thanks, President Trump, for being the catalyst of interesting times.

+Quote Post
phaedrus
post Feb 20 2017, 10:50 AM
Post #12

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 1,175

Say something nice about Trump...ok....I'm trying....give me a minute....

He understands the wave of nationalism sweeping America and Europe. He is one of the few people that realize globalism is receding and making a nice try at capitalizing on it. He understands that illegal immigration is...well...illegal. He is wanting to do something to stop that, I don't think a 20 billion dollar wall is going to get us there, especially if your counting on Mexico to pay for it but kudos on your optimism. I don't think CNN is fake news but it's fun to watch him taunt the press because we all know that the press is never going to be important to a President who is trying to get controversial measures through, kudos on your audacity there.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Feb 20 2017, 11:33 AM
Post #13

Sponsor
November 2003

Acting again as a catalyst for interesting times, President Trump has stimulated this take on Putin, Russia, and the influence both have had on the current political climate in the USA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0utzB6oDan0

I especially like the dancers at the end. They are so dang solid and healthy, robust like the future babushkas of the steppes I grew up with in Minnesota. Think Amy Klobuchar.

Maybe the Trump presidency will bring back a 1930s vibe for the American standard of feminine beauty. Rather than being all about that bass, no treble, how about being all about balance and shape? Strength and health? No more stupid extremes.

+Quote Post
LoneWisdom
post Feb 20 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #14

Century Mark

Member No.: 8,384

Politics: Undisclosed

President Trump has exposed the loony. The inane response by them is astounding, like thinking delusional and paid protestors are somehow more significant than the movement initiated by the TEA Party, responding to the methods used to impose the ACA on Americans, that gave Republicans full control of enough states to make a Constitutional Convention possible.

Violent protests should be met with arrest, swift prosecution, conviction, and incarceration. Paying and brainwashing people to protest does not equate to a majority movement. We'll see how the voters feel in the next mid-term where I expect Republicans will end up with a super majority in the Senate, but it's up to the voters, not hysterical protestors and their news media promoters.

The left doesn't seem to learn anything and they're dragging the country down. President Obama's administration appears to have taken the country back to the spoils system, in violation of the Pendleton Act, not to mention steering fines on the private sector to the left's organizations and public sector unions.

President Trump is keeping the loons distracted while real progress is being made to unwind the damage done by the previous administrations. Here's to hoping real responsible journalism replaces what the world is witnessing today. Government drifting away from the sustainable is an indictment against the loony.

+Quote Post
Bikerdad
post Feb 22 2017, 03:27 AM
Post #15

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 715

Party affiliation: Undisclosed

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Jan 25 2017, 08:19 AM) *
QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ Jan 23 2017, 06:02 PM) *

Speaking of pressure, the word trump has a meaning as a a slang term in Merry Ole England:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux848MsW_b4

As far as I know, he is the first POTUS with this distinction. Note that it's not the bouquet but the amplitude of the sound that's important.

Oh, no doubt, he's the first POTUS with the distinction of having potentially demeaning slang already attached to his name. Never mind DICK Nixon, or JOHN Kennedy, or JOHN Adams, or WILLY Clinton or ....

Nice to see that while I've been away, y'all have been "keepin' it classy" here in CASUAL conversation.

+Quote Post
Gray Seal
post Feb 22 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #16

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 335

The best good thing to say about Trump is that he is not Hillary Clinton. Policy looks good in a few places, shaky in others, and dreadful in others. At least Trump has a few areas where he may outshine Obama or what Clinton would be doing.

Trump is not significantly controlled by the hidden government. People part of that system are greatly upset. This is a good thing.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Mar 1 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #17

Sponsor
November 2003

It came to me this morning:

President Trump's nickname in history, like Honest Abe, should be The Deplorable Showman.

Has a nice ring to it, will probably use it somewhere. I'm thinking space alien biker gang horror story in which they go to this little Californian town and tear up the romaine lettuce fields, then along comes Jane The Revelator and kicks alien biker tush to overdriven '60s surfer licks.

The Deplorable Showman, leader of the pack, strikes back with killer BLTs slathered in GMO mayonaise and singing Tishomingo Blues while Jane The Revelator desperately works her Brannonian Blaster to send all the space aliens back to where they came from: the planet Wal*Streight next to the Broodwhey Nebula where The Deplorable Showman gets nabbed for extreme camera mugging and responsibility sloughing, along with excessive pouting and resisting reality.

Working title: Space Walls.

Only in Trump's America, so thanks for this vision, Donald alien.gif

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Mar 21 2017, 09:29 AM
Post #18

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

He has caused me to Google such words as twitterpated and impeach.

I have never owned or been persuaded to use a "smart" phone... Nonetheless, Donald Trump has demonstrated that getting out of bed in the morning, sitting down on his throne, and letting his thumbs do the talking as he "thinks aloud" is not a good idea. Having "millions of followers" who retweet and comment on his daily output of excrement may be his best defense as to why he though his phone was being tapped. Perhaps someone needs to point out to him that his tweets make it apparent that his telephone is smarter than he is...and tried hard to warn us. Perhaps future politicians will go back to jotting notes on paper with a pencil!

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Mar 21 2017, 09:30 AM

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Mar 21 2017, 12:32 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Mar 21 2017, 04:29 AM) *
I have never owned or been persuaded to use a "smart" phone... Nonetheless, Donald Trump has demonstrated that getting out of bed in the morning, sitting down on his throne, and letting his thumbs do the talking as he "thinks aloud" is not a good idea. Having "millions of followers" who retweet and comment on his daily output of excrement may be his best defense as to why he though his phone was being tapped. Perhaps someone needs to point out to him that his tweets make it apparent that his telephone is smarter than he is...and tried hard to warn us. Perhaps future politicians will go back to jotting notes on paper with a pencil!

A write-up on this subject:
Everthing is (expletive) and it's the Internet's fault

(caution: bad language)

Civilization was built on people’s ability to suppress their baser instincts—their tendencies towards tribalism and narcissism, their penchant for slaughtering each other over superficial and imagined differences. It took millennia of education and advancement for us to learn how to not do this. Much of this education and advancement revolved around a respect for science, public debate, rational argument, putting multiple institutions in power to balance one another, and so on. We’ve barely even gotten it right the couple hundred years we’ve had it.

The problem is, as far as I can tell, the internet and its technologies don’t deliver us from tribalism. They don’t deliver us from our baser instincts. They do the opposite. They mainline tribalism into our eyeballs. And what we’re seeing is the beginning of that terrifying impact.

Everyone is pessimistic and fearful at the moment. Doesn’t matter what country you’re from or what side of the political spectrum you’re on.
(snip)

This is despite the fact that war, violent crime, and authoritarianism are at their lowest points in world history, and education, life expectancy, and income are at their highest in world history.2

It doesn’t matter, everyone thinks the world is going to hell in a handbasket anyway.

And if everyone is feeling this way at once, despite the realities, it can’t be because the radical left is winning or the radical right is winning or the patriarchy or communists or Muslims or anarcho-fascist-ballerinas are winning.

It can only be because our information is losing.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Mar 21 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #20

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Mar 21 2017, 05:29 AM) *
Perhaps future politicians will go back to jotting notes on paper with a pencil!

President Trump has said that for important stuff, he prefers paper/ink and couriers. There are a few ways to take this:

- It's just more idle bull crap from the evil Michael Scott.

- He's using Twitter to draw attention away from his real agenda, which is in the couriers' pouches.

- Our POTUS has multiple personalities that he can't keep straight.

- I really haven't woken up from a medically-induced coma, and this whole thing is my subconscious making up stories based on The Office USA.

For the sake of the country, I hope it's the last one. However, I've been watching seasons of the show via Amazon video, and I don't think that's how the mind works. For example, Pam has not morphed into a space alien yet, nor has Dwight been appointed to Secretary of Conspiracies, so . . .

But how can I explain the nutcracker woman or the name Spicer? Or that guy from S. Carolina who is obviously from the planet Dweeberon? Or the rest of this bad dream?

I don't know, but the Trump presidency has made The Office USA very relevant and even funnier than the first time around. Way to go, Prez Donnie!

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Mar 21 2017, 04:31 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: July 22nd, 2018 - 07:58 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.