logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> intro access forbidden
access forbidden
post Jul 27 2011, 06:14 AM
Post #1

Junior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,962

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

hello this is access forbidden, but you can call me axxy for short, or forby, or axfo, but not axhole.

freedom of speech requires anonymity.

the best way to find out about a poster on an internet forum is to search their posts
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
Amlord
post Jul 27 2011, 01:46 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 572

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

Welcome aboard, but since you have no other posts than this one, all I can conclude is that you want to remain anonymous. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Jul 27 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

I have an active imagination. innocent.gif

You're a twenty-something male, libertarian. You live in a town with a college campus nearby and you're a semi-vegitarian. You have an allergy to something. You like animals, but you don't own any at the moment.

How close am I? shifty.gif

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Jul 27 2011, 04:22 PM

+Quote Post
BoF
post Jul 27 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #4

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 3,423

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(access forbidden @ Jul 27 2011, 01:14 AM) *

... and anonymity requires measure of cowardice.

This post has been edited by BoF: Jul 27 2011, 04:15 PM

+Quote Post
access forbidden
post Jul 27 2011, 04:41 PM
Post #5

Junior Contributor

QUOTE(BoF @ Jul 27 2011, 04:14 PM) *
... and anonymity requires measure of cowardice.

A black American slave named Frederick Douglass escaped from the American South to the free north. He had to use forged identity papers in order to make it out.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/w...derick_Douglass

Is it cowardice to disguise your identity in order to survive and achieve a better society?

+Quote Post
BoF
post Jul 27 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #6

Sponsor
October 2004

QUOTE(access forbidden @ Jul 27 2011, 11:41 AM) *
Is it cowardice to disguise your identity in order to survive and achieve a better society?

Martin Luther King, Jr., the Freedom Riders, the people who sat-in at Woolworth's lunch counters, and others involved in the civil rights movement didn't get results through anonymity.

Jackie Robinson and Branch Rickey didn't integrate baseball by keeping a low profile.

You are not going to achieve a better society by posting here or anywhere else on the internet.

I doubt you are going to achieve a better society by avoiding your 1st Amendment right to free speech.

I am an outspoken Barack Obama supporter in the red state of Texas.

I will not shut up or go underground because some damned goat roper doesn't like what I'm saying.

This post has been edited by BoF: Jul 27 2011, 05:52 PM

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Jul 27 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #7

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

Usually, introductions are not somewhere to debate with the poster. On the other hand, you stated:
QUOTE(access forbidden @ Jul 27 2011, 02:14 AM) *

We all have anonymity on this site. I use it to bounce ideas off other posters. I feel however, that Freedom of Speech obligates us to exercise it. Unless we are willing to sign our names to letters to our legislators and leaders, they feel free to ignore the message we are sending.

When I am standing on a corner protesting the wars on a Saturday afternoon, someone always drives by with a shouted message to "Get a job." or "Go back to Russia." They are not willing to stop and discuss our differences of opinion. They are anonymous because they are driving by, and the State Congressman who is standing with us as we protest laughs it off with us. We talk among ourselves, "What does that even mean?" "Has he left any job applications?" "Has he turned on a radio to learn that the Soviet Union collapsed?" Shouting anonymously at a street corner from a speeding car is not exercising Freedom of Speech."

Freedom of Speech is sitting at this lunchroom table, exchanging ideas, developing an opinion, and then contacting your Congressman, your Senators, the President, writing a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, etc. All of these actions require a name, an address, a telephone number, an e-mail address, a way to respond to you. Freedom of Speech means that you have the right to include that information and not fear governmental reprisal for your action.

I have had co-workers who used to drop a tea bag in an envelope, address it to "Congress." and drop it into a mailbox with neither a stamp nor a return address. They were always confident that, "Congress will get the message." Did they take time off to vote? No. Well, they are now represented by John Boehner who thinks that "A Tee Party is a foursome."

The Congressional web site has been crashing lately, the news is reporting that the Congressional Telephone system is overloaded and people are getting busy signals. Yesterday and today, we hand delivered signed messages expressing our dissatisfaction with Congressional inaction on the debt ceiling to Congressman Bill Huizenga's local office. Today, the office was locked and vacant, so we slid our signed messages under the door, and we will drop a letter to the newspaper pointing out that the office is hard to locate, has no name on the door, has no posted hours, etc. It will not be an anonymous letter to the editor, that would be electronically discarded by their online filter. Will I accomplish anything? Will my voice be heard? I don't know this Congressman well enough yet to know, but I would encourage you to express your opinion in writing to those that represent you and sign your name! If enough of us exercise our Freedom of Speech, the message may get out that voters don't just sip Perrier water and play video games; they think, they communicate, and they do influence our government!

Enjoy your anonymity here, develop your personality, develop your opinions, but please don't think that Anonymous is a wealthy and influential author simply because he has been widely published!

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Jul 27 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #8

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

We can only get to know each other in a limited way by posting anonymously here or other places on the Internet.

We can represent ourselves in any way we please if there is no risk whatsoever in revealing our identity to others.
But is it really freedom if we fear to be identified with what we really think?

That's why Curmudgeon and I are activists. I suppose that someday we might find the limits to what we can talk about, but so far we have been able to express ourselves according to our principles in this society. Not being afraid to disclose who we are lends credibility to what we say, at least in the non-cyber world.

We have a measure of freedom, not total freedom. But so far, we have been able to express ourselves here and in the real world without being oppressed. It is a freeing experience to express what we believe in public. It is part of our exercise in what we call "democracy" (sort of) by contacting our municipal, state, and national leaders. We also feel it is our responsibility if our leaders are to know the will of their constituents.

Welcome to the forum. thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Jul 27 2011, 08:52 PM

+Quote Post
Julian
post Jul 28 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Party affiliation: Other

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Jul 27 2011, 08:10 PM) *
We all have anonymity on this site.

We don't all choose to exercise it though, 'Mudge wink.gif

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Jul 28 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #10

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Julian,

I try to exercise anonymity on this site because:
QUOTE( The Rules)
Posting email addresses, postal addresses, telephone numbers, or any other sort of identifiable personal information, yours or otherwise, is prohibited. This is for your protection and ours.

+Quote Post
access forbidden
post Jul 28 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #11

Junior Contributor

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Jul 28 2011, 03:09 PM) *
Julian,

I try to exercise anonymity on this site because:
QUOTE( The Rules)
Posting email addresses, postal addresses, telephone numbers, or any other sort of identifiable personal information, yours or otherwise, is prohibited. This is for your protection and ours.

the government has made sure to pressure the ISP companies to keep records on us including logging of numbers and geolocation, so we are not anonymous, therefore not free. Everything we say must be said knowing that the FBI's Carnivore program may be listening.

+Quote Post
BoF
post Jul 28 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #12

Sponsor
October 2004

QUOTE(access forbidden @ Jul 28 2011, 04:58 PM) *
the government has made sure to pressure the ISP companies to keep records on us including logging of numbers and geolocation, so we are not anonymous, therefore not free. Everything we say must be said knowing that the FBI's Carnivore program may be listening.

If you are that paranoid, maybe you shouldn't be getting on the internet period.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Jul 29 2011, 01:57 AM
Post #13

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

QUOTE(access forbidden @ Jul 28 2011, 05:58 PM) *

This is a serious post which reflects numerous of my previous posts. I am not trying to laugh at you, I am trying to make you feel more comfortable on this forum, while recalling what my brother's therapist once told him:

Remember that just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that no one is actually out to get you.

The vet that microchipped our cat recently assured me that our government is not yet doing that to humans.

From personal experience, it is possible to purchase a house which is not visible to satellites. I don't recommend it. The previous owner had used a Post Office Box. Our house had no Zip + 4 assigned to it. Utility bills were addressed to a non-existent address at the other end of a cross street that ends in our driveway. FEDEX deliveries are routinely routed to a warehouse until they give up and turn the delivery over to the Post Office. After a dozen years, our mortgage has been sold a dozen times, and the current bank thinks that my wife and I live at the same address in two different cities. It doesn't help that the bank's hierarchy is so paranoid that their employees are not allowed to access the Internet...

A couple of things that you may wish to try:

1. Instead of using a wireless router, purchase a hardwired router. It is cheaper, faster, and more secure. Once I went hard wired, the dark black government looking sedan that used to regularly park in front of the neighbor's yew hedge moved on. I am able to type certain phrases like "blue light and "yellow cake" without having my computer crash immediately.

2. Learn, once you log onto the Internet, to press CTRL-Shift-P (Press all three of those keys simultaneously.) This will open an "in-private" Internet session. Close the other Internet window. You will be treated as though you had never accessed the Internet from that computer before. You will have no cookies, no favorite sites, etc. It will also leave no history once you close your browser. It is making things much more comfortable for me when I am using a Laptop at McDonalds, working from a motel room, logging on from church, etc.

+Quote Post
access forbidden
post Jul 29 2011, 02:47 AM
Post #14

Junior Contributor

QUOTE(BoF @ Jul 28 2011, 10:47 PM) *
If you are that paranoid, maybe you shouldn't be getting on the internet period.

What's the difference between paranoia and prudence based on research?

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Jul 29 2011, 01:57 AM) *
1. Instead of using a wireless router, purchase a hardwired router. It is cheaper, faster, and more secure. Once I went hard wired, the dark black government looking sedan that used to regularly park in front of the neighbor's yew hedge moved on. I am able to type certain phrases like "blue light and "yellow cake" without having my computer crash immediately.

2. Learn, once you log onto the Internet, to press CTRL-Shift-P (Press all three of those keys simultaneously.) This will open an "in-private" Internet session. Close the other Internet window. You will be treated as though you had never accessed the Internet from that computer before. You will have no cookies, no favorite sites, etc. It will also leave no history once you close your browser. It is making things much more comfortable for me when I am using a Laptop at McDonalds, working from a motel room, logging on from church, etc.

It is impossible to take you seriously because you seem to be combining some serious comments with joke posts.

+Quote Post
BoF
post Jul 29 2011, 02:59 AM
Post #15

Sponsor
October 2004

QUOTE(access forbidden @ Jul 28 2011, 09:47 PM) *
What's the difference between paranoia and prudence based on research?

Ok, if you are that prudent, maybe you shouldn't be posting on the internet.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Jul 29 2011, 03:46 AM
Post #16

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

QUOTE(access forbidden @ Jul 28 2011, 10:47 PM) *
QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Jul 29 2011, 01:57 AM) *

It is impossible to take you seriously because you seem to be combining some serious comments with joke posts.

Yet, if you look through some of my older posts, you will be able to find that I was merely highlighting some of my personal experience...

I have spent years communicating with politicians, fighting a nuclear power plant, etc. My father hired employees for the Manhattan Project. My oldest brother spoke to me of what it was like, as a spy, to walk across the Bering straights in the winter in order to enter Russia, gather information, and exit sometime around a year later. I have been on some form or other of government watch list all of my life. I have no High School transcripts, no college transcripts, and except for personal recollection and Social Security records, no history of employment. When I tried to obtain my birth certificate, I had to explain why there were two copies on file. When I ordered a software program called Elf Bowling, a video game which among other things allows Santa to use Mrs. Claus' bra as a slingshot to shoot elves at low flying airplanes, from a company 250 miles away; it was rerouted through Trenton, NJ where according to the tracking software, it was held for six weeks enroute. Apparently the FBI wanted to ensure that it could not be used by terrorists to actually take out low flying aircraft. That's not a joke, it is actual personal experience.

I would love to hear why you are so paranoid, and try to help you find some coping mechanisms. (If you're going to cheat on your boss, change cars!)

Just don't ask me to use a telephone...

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Jul 29 2011, 04:55 AM

+Quote Post
access forbidden
post Jul 30 2011, 07:57 AM
Post #17

Junior Contributor

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Jul 29 2011, 03:46 AM) *
I have spent years communicating with politicians, fighting a nuclear power plant, etc. My father hired employees for the Manhattan Project. My oldest brother spoke to me of what it was like, as a spy, to walk across the Bering straights in the winter in order to enter Russia, gather information, and exit sometime around a year later. I have been on some form or other of government watch list all of my life. I have no High School transcripts, no college transcripts, and except for personal recollection and Social Security records, no history of employment. When I tried to obtain my birth certificate, I had to explain why there were two copies on file.

I would love to hear why you are so paranoid, and try to help you find some coping mechanisms. (If you're going to cheat on your boss, change cars!)

There is the feeling about your posts that you are trying to distract people with a clown act. Then you tell me I am paranoid, which is an insult, but in the same sentence you say you want me to reveal more to you.

People who call others paranoid are in denial of the reality that they are not as free as they think they are.

You are aware of course of the mid-level CIA agent who made a statement for the press a few years ago that the American people could no longer expect to be anonymous. Why do you want to ridicule people who point this out to you?

This post has been edited by access forbidden: Jul 30 2011, 07:59 AM

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Jul 30 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #18

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

I am aware that the rules ban:
Personal attacks, name-calling, or belittling another member. This includes telling other members to shut up or be quiet, as well as telling other members they are not qualified to post their opinions.

I described your posts as paranoid because that's how they appeared to me, and I was trying to let you know this is a safe place to express your opinions. I have been described in so many ways that paranoid is not a word that I considered an insult. I just looked it up and learned that paranoia is a mental illness. You have taught me something... You had made a statement that being anonymous was essential to exercising Freedon of Speech. That struck me as being overly afraid of our government, and paranoid was the first adjective that came to my mind. I apologize. I was once diagnosed by a psychiatrist with a mental illness, prescribed medication for it, and I accepted that he knew what he was talking about. I was taking an IQ test when the Proctor stopped and told me that I had been misdiagnosed. He phoned the diagnosing psychiatrist, explained his reasoning, and I was told to stop using the medication. I have often been a patient, never a doctor.

I am not trying to distract people with a clown act. My father left the circus around 1915, and while his description of life in the circus was often humorous, I prefer solid walls and an address that I can usually remember.

In my experience, government agencies at all levels, newspaper editors, etc. all require that you include a name, an address, a phone number, etc. so they have a way to respond to your grievances. If you fail to provide that information, they have no way to contact you, and the message goes into "the circular file."

I was offended by a photograph of Kenneth B. Horn, State Representative, 94th District. I wrote to him. He had the opportunity to look at the information I provided in an e-mail which I sent to him and not respond at all because I was not from his District. He chose instead to respond by telling me that I needed to learn how to phrase my messages differently. I will monitor his District next year, see who his opponent is, and provide him/her with a copy of my message and Ken Horn's response. Freedom of Speech works both ways. He had the right to ignore my message. He had the right to explain why he was posing not next to an American Flag, but next to a supporter wearing a shirt made from an American Flag. He chose to tell me that I needed to learn how to write...

There are times when it is still futile. Over a period of the past half century, I have frequently been told by teachers, employers, friends, ministers, etc. that, "An FBI agent was asking questions about you." I have tried to find out what is in my file. All I need to provide to obtain that information is a list of what I expect to find there, and a check to cover the anticipated costs of redacting and printing the files... I have a right, in other words to a copy of only the information which I already know that they have on me... I purchase postage stamps. I write letters.

I will continue to write, participate in marches, assemble on street corners and protest whatever burr is under my saddle. My friends and I joke about the people who are pro-war, but who are afraid to stand up and express their opinions. They shout from speeding cars, apparently afraid of the beating they might get from pacifists if they stopped to air their opposition. It has been several years since the police stopped the car, rolled down the window, and took my photograph. It has likely been twenty years since the police stopped me and asked me why I was carrying an umbrella as I walked to work.When I tried to get a copy of that police report, "It never happened."

Have you posted in any other threads yet?

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Jul 30 2011, 03:23 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: June 19th, 2018 - 06:48 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.