logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> A New Beginning?, A gathering of ideas
Trouble
post Jan 4 2020, 07:28 AM
Post #1

Five Hundred Club

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,142

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: None

I want to thank the creators for fixing the forums. It is a New Year and there is much to talk about. The problem is there is too much occurring too quickly and to understand things at any level calls for more than one set of eyes and ears. We need more than one perspective. The Chinese proverb is now in effect. The period of interesting times has come. There is smoke in the air and it is time to circle the wagons. Let's make sense of reality because frankly, it is getting a little strange. The old tools of rhetoric and dialectic have grown dusty. It is time to blow off the dust and get to work. Come, let's make this a year to remember. There is more than enough material to make this a hall of learning again. I'm excited, what about you? Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Gray Seal
post Jan 8 2020, 04:51 PM
Post #2

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 335

Politics: Undisclosed

It will be glorious to have some lively, constructive discussions here again on ad.gif!

+Quote Post
Trouble
post Jan 9 2020, 05:44 AM
Post #3

Five Hundred Club

It is good to see you Gray Seal. The Golden Tufted Cockatoo has given us much to ponder!

+Quote Post
Blackstone
post Jan 13 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #4

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 5,539

Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Gray Seal @ Jan 8 2020, 11:51 AM) *
It will be glorious to have some lively, constructive discussions here again on ad.gif!

I certainly hope so. I noticed that even before the interruption, posting was starting to get pretty sparse (not that I'd been contributing much either, being a bit preoccupied elsewhere). I didn't know if everyone was running off to Twitter or something.

And Trouble's absolutely correct about the new times we're in. The old playbook is definitely being thrown out. And it's only going to get even more interesting with all the new ways that the Internet (and other IT plus AI) will evolve in the coming years. Buckle up good.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jan 15 2020, 04:26 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

Politics: Conservative

QUOTE(Gray Seal @ Jan 8 2020, 10:51 AM) *

Agree!

+Quote Post
JohnfrmCleveland
post Jan 24 2020, 12:54 AM
Post #6

Master Debater

Sponsor
September 2009

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 8,090

Politics: Very Liberal

QUOTE(Trouble @ Jan 4 2020, 03:28 AM) *
I want to thank the creators for fixing the forums. It is a New Year and there is much to talk about. The problem is there is too much occurring too quickly and to understand things at any level calls for more than one set of eyes and ears. We need more than one perspective. The Chinese proverb is now in effect. The period of interesting times has come. There is smoke in the air and it is time to circle the wagons. Let's make sense of reality because frankly, it is getting a little strange. The old tools of rhetoric and dialectic have grown dusty. It is time to blow off the dust and get to work. Come, let's make this a year to remember. There is more than enough material to make this a hall of learning again. I'm excited, what about you? Thank you.

Just came back to see if this was a ghost town or not. Looks like somebody is still manning the general store.

+Quote Post
Julian
post Apr 1 2020, 03:03 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

QUOTE(JohnfrmCleveland @ Jan 24 2020, 01:54 AM) *
QUOTE(Trouble @ Jan 4 2020, 03:28 AM) *

Just came back to see if this was a ghost town or not. Looks like somebody is still manning the general store.

Yep.

I'm wondering how to check everyone's ok, now many or most of us are locked down in isolation (whether government- or self-imposed) because of the coronavirus pandemic.

We're all well in my house, but it's frustrating and a little worrying not to be able to look in on elderly relatives, not to mention go out for a meal, a drink, a film or play, or any of the other little joys that we take for granted in normal times that you suddenly miss when they are no longer available.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Apr 27 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative

The period of interesting times has come.

You ain't just whistling Dixie Trouble!

Consider how much has happened since you wrote that.
Since this is casual, thought this video was funny but also spot on:

Explaining the pandemic to my past self

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Apr 27 2020, 06:13 PM

+Quote Post
net2007
post Apr 29 2020, 12:24 AM
Post #9

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 7,629

Party affiliation: Republican

Hello there! I didn't realize that the website was back up until recently. Needless to say, I gave up hope and figured the site was down for good. I'm noticing that the post here are still very spread out though. I think for things to really get back to active status, we'd need site updates and outreach to expand membership. Jamie and Mike haven't been willing to let the site go entirely, they're still willing to pay the bill for the domain space so I can only hope this means that they plan to become active at some point because the site could definitely use the boost.

I haven't been debating much in the last few months other than posing some occasional Quora questions and doing some replies to other user's questions but Quora is very heavily censored. Even the users can delete your responses if they don't like what you have to say so it's been discouraging.

Anyway, miss you guys! Is everyone doing okay with all things considered, like the world going crazy with Covid-19?

This post has been edited by net2007: Apr 29 2020, 12:47 AM

+Quote Post
droop224
post Apr 29 2020, 03:33 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,073

Politics: Very Liberal

Thatís hilarious Mrs P. Almost as funny as a Trump briefing. w00t.gif what up peeps Iím still alive doing well.. teleworking my *** NOTICE: THIS WORD IS AGAINST THE RULES. FAILURE TO REMOVE IT WILL RESULT IN A STRIKE. *** off!! Remember America Debate radio... itís a good time for a comeback... zoom edition!!

... we still doing strikes for buttocks...

This post has been edited by droop224: Apr 29 2020, 03:34 AM

+Quote Post
moif
post May 2 2020, 11:05 AM
Post #11

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

Hello every one. Its been a while.
I hope you're all doing well flowers.gif

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post May 2 2020, 03:08 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

YAY!
This feels like a reunion.
I guess it is a reunion. laugh.gif
Good to see ya all.

There's some good news in Georgia (though it's pretty early to open the champagne bottle).
Looks like even with things open the disease is following a downward trajectory.

Here in Colorado they've opened things a bit...my county will open around the 8th.
Our family in Italy is still in shut down as far as I know. I don't think my aunt has left the house in over two months (folks over 60 are fined for going outside).
Can't imagine what that is like. At least I get to go to the grocery store, and outside for walks.

+Quote Post
Trouble
post May 3 2020, 03:52 AM
Post #13

Five Hundred Club

I am glad people can come here once again. Welcome all!

Well I have some good news. I got tested and was negative for the virus. However the lungs are still suffering some after effects from pneumonia so I am on the list for anti body testing.

QUOTE(MrsPigpen)
You ain't just whistling Dixie Trouble!

Consider how much has happened since you wrote that.
Since this is casual, thought this video was funny but also spot on:

Explaining the pandemic to my past self

Actually the original conversation idea wasn't too far off from that video, like how do you explain the Trump presidency to a future person? If the future is written by someone name Clinton or Schiff you might get a different outcome than someone who wore a Magahat. You might get different opinion again if you look at all the signed legislation and the up and coming. This is one of those periods where one just has to live through it to describe it sort of a moments.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post May 3 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

QUOTE(Trouble @ May 2 2020, 11:52 PM) *
I am glad people can come here once again. Welcome all!

Well I have some good news. I got tested and was negative for the virus. However the lungs are still suffering some after effects from pneumonia so I am on the list for anti body testing.

That's great, Trouble! Although it sucks you had pneumonia. sad.gif
A lot of the SWA staff were really sick before the covid "officially" arrived.
They've been testing (folks who test positive can get the sick leave reimbursed) but only one person (so far) actually had it.

+Quote Post
DaytonRocker
post May 13 2020, 11:50 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 547

:::THUD::::

What'd I miss?

+Quote Post
net2007
post May 14 2020, 03:50 AM
Post #16

Millennium Mark

QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ May 2 2020, 10:08 AM) *
YAY!
This feels like a reunion.
I guess it is a reunion. laugh.gif
Good to see ya all.

There's some good news in Georgia (though it's pretty early to open the champagne bottle).
Looks like even with things open the disease is following a downward trajectory.

Here in Colorado they've opened things a bit...my county will open around the 8th.
Our family in Italy is still in shut down as far as I know. I don't think my aunt has left the house in over two months (folks over 60 are fined for going outside).
Can't imagine what that is like. At least I get to go to the grocery store, and outside for walks.

smile.gif I'm glad to hear that. Things will slowly but steadily get better, I just fear that the media will keep working overtime to keeps us divided and fearful. The virus is certainly no joke but the effects of the shutdown go way beyond economic concerns. I may do a post on this topic before long if I can, I'll only have access to the internet through my smartphone for a while though so writing something substantial on that would take some time.

droop224
Thatís hilarious Mrs P. Almost as funny as a Trump briefing. w00t.gif what up peeps Iím still alive doing well.. teleworking my *** NOTICE: THIS WORD IS AGAINST THE RULES. FAILURE TO REMOVE IT WILL RESULT IN A STRIKE. *** off!! Remember America Debate radio... itís a good time for a comeback... zoom edition!!

... we still doing strikes for buttocks...

Hey, some people really liked those briefings! tongue.gif

I'd like to see the radio program come back, something like that would really get America's Debate moving again.

+Quote Post
moif
post May 18 2020, 01:30 PM
Post #17

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

QUOTE(net2007 @ May 14 2020, 05:50 AM) *
I'd like to see the radio program come back, something like that would really get America's Debate moving again.
Or a You Tube channel live stream?

+Quote Post
net2007
post Jun 2 2020, 01:39 AM
Post #18

Millennium Mark

QUOTE(moif @ May 18 2020, 08:30 AM) *
QUOTE(net2007 @ May 14 2020, 05:50 AM) *
Or a You Tube channel live stream?

That doesn't sound like such a bad idea either!

+Quote Post
LoneWisdom
post Jun 22 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #19

Century Mark

Member No.: 8,384

Good to see those making their way back. flowers.gif

+Quote Post
net2007
post Jul 27 2020, 07:57 AM
Post #20

Millennium Mark

Hey, I just wanted to drop in and do an update. I had a couple ideas for replies and started working on them but they're very involved and my life and mind have been torn in multiple directions these days. Think of how chaotic America is right now.... Sometimes I think my personal situation is as complicated as our country. laugh.gif

I've also been battling a couple of heath problems that hit me back to back so a LOT has happened since I was debating here last year. I did just finish my first substantial writing on Quora in a while though and occasionally do writings that are less involved so I'm hoping to jump back to what I was writing at AD before long. it'll just take a while before I finish what I was writing here once I start back up again.

Anyway, miss you guys! Stay safe!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: November 24th, 2020 - 08:46 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.