logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> This election killed public financing for all time?
quick
post Nov 4 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #1

Five Hundred Club

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,407

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Even more crucial to the way this campaign has transformed politics has been Mr. Obama’s success at using the Internet to build a huge network of contributors that permitted him to raise enough money — after declining to participate in the public financing system — to expand the map and compete in traditionally Republican states....

"The great impact that this election will have for the future is that it killed public financing for all time," said Mr. McCain’s chief campaign strategist, Steve Schmidt. "That means the next Republican presidential campaign, hopefully a re-election for John McCain, will need to be a billion-dollar affair to challenge what the Democrats have accomplished with the use of the Internet and viral marketing to communicate and raise money."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/us/politics/04memo.html

The message above is quoted from the linked NY Times article.

Questions for Debate:

1) Has this election killed public financing for all time in Pres' elections?

2) If public financing of Pres' elections is dead, where does that leave the parties in 2012?

3) What are the practical ramifications of this death of public financing for Pres' elections in terms of free speech rights; in terms of political pandering; in terms of special interest influence; and in terms of the cost of future Pres campaigns?

This post has been edited by quick: Nov 4 2008, 07:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Bikerdad
post Nov 4 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 715

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Questions for Debate:

Yes

2) If public financing of Pres' elections is dead, where does that leave the parties in 2012?
Raising lotsa money.

3) What are the practical ramifications of this death of public financing for Pres' elections in terms of free speech rights; in terms of political pandering; in terms of special interest influence; and in terms of the cost of future Pres campaigns?
That depends completely on how the next four years go. The Democrats will likely attempt to further restrict the fundraising options for the Republicans while broadening their own sources (that's part of what Card Check is all about). The cost of future campaigns will go up, simply because each side will have more resources.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Nov 4 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Probably not. Third-party candidates will probably use it.

Both will try to raise money via the Internet.

Since the donations made through the Internet tend to be relatively small, it levels the playing field for free speech, gets rid of political pandering in terms of special interest influence and has virtually no impact on the cost of future campaigns.

It's the alternative energy of presidential elections.

+Quote Post
Ted
post Nov 4 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #4

Ten Thousand Club

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 1,807

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

Questions for Debate:

Yes – after the Obama deception who would be foolish enough to do what McCain did? Its dead as a doornail.

The same ol same ol. Get money from wherever you can – and then expect the phone calls for favors later.

More corruption of an already corrupt political system where money buys access.

+Quote Post
EuroBlack
post Nov 7 2008, 01:53 AM
Post #5

Century Mark

Member No.: 5,095

Party affiliation: None

Questions for Debate:

Dunno. No. It's not in the Dems dna to kill it. and the reps don't have enough power to kill it.

I guess at the mercy of the fundraising capabilities of Sarah Pallin new tv-show with her as the white Oprah.

Well, of course Obama's millions and millions of donors have completely silenced Fixed Nonews and all rightwing radio! My Fokks screen was on black (wink) for the last week or so. Prepare yourself for more of that.

This is just another bogus statement, by .... I mean, Steve Schmidt?? You listen to that guy? He utterly failed, why should his opinion on anything matter?

Besides, what media were poor, white, Ohioans exposed to in October, what with all the living on the street and all that?

This post has been edited by EuroBlack: Nov 7 2008, 02:06 AM

+Quote Post
Aquilla
post Nov 11 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 421

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

Absolutely. Not only did Obama buy this election, he apparently isn't going to even be held accountable for it by the FEC. This from Politico.......

The Federal Election Commission is unlikely to conduct a potentially embarrassing audit of how Barack Obama raised and spent his presidential campaign’s record-shattering windfall, despite allegations of questionable donations and accounting that had the McCain campaign crying foul.

Adding insult to injury for Republicans: The FEC is obligated to complete a rigorous audit of McCain’s campaign coffers, which will take months, if not years, and cost McCain millions of dollars to defend.

Obama is expected to escape that level of scrutiny mostly because he declined an $84 million public grant for his campaign that automatically triggers an audit and because the sheer volume of cash he raised and spent minimizes the significance of his errors. Another factor: The FEC, which would have to vote to launch an audit, is prone to deadlocking on issues that inordinately impact one party or the other – like approving a messy and high-profile probe of a sitting president.

Okay, so let's see. McCain keeps his word, takes public financing and now he has to spend millions more because he's getting audited on $84 MILLION. Obama breaks his word (he lied), raised over $600 MILLION, much is not accounted for and he gets off scott-free. Do the math. So yeah, public financing is DOA.

Obviously they are going to have to raise big bucks from big donors.

While I'm sure the Messiah won't allow it to influence him one little bit... whistling.gif Cause he said it wouldn't and he never lies.... I do think there is a real danger for corruption, kinda like the way it works in Chicago politics... Except of course when Obama was there.

The next election for President is going to cost each party over a BILLION dollars.

Note to Oprah: Start writing those checks girlfriend......

Aquilla

+Quote Post
BoF
post Nov 12 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #7

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE(Aquilla @ Nov 11 2008, 05:28 PM) *
Obama breaks his word (he lied)...

We now know the substance of those food fights you were organizing during primary season Aquilla - grapes, sour.gif grapes and you are the one having to eat them. May I bring you another bowl. tongue.gif

You are obsessing over a perceived lie.

Here you were a few days ago on the "lie" trip.

QUOTE(Aquilla @ Nov 3 2008, 07:45 PM) *
I notice you didn't address the part of my post that dealt with Obama lying about accepting public funds.......

QUOTE(Aquilla @ Nov 3 2008, 08:47 PM) *
Obama lied, pure and simple. He lied about that, how can we believe him about anything else?

QUOTE(Aquilla @ Nov 3 2008, 09:31 PM) *
He lied, Turnea (good name for you since you try to spin everything).... A lie is a lie,

We know you know how to spell "lie," how to "shout it out" in all caps, etc., but try something new. Otherwise, it's going to be a long four years and you are going to get awfully damned boring... smile.gif

This post has been edited by BoF: Nov 12 2008, 01:02 AM

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Nov 12 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #8

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

All I can figure is that there will be a way for candidates to run for the Presidency, even under the current circumstances. Perhaps this is the culmination of the system that has been operating for years and years and years, and Republicans have the official complaining rights this time because a Democrat benefitted from it. Perhaps it is time for some real reforms to be made, but like the Republicans we don't want to unduly restrict our freedom in the process.

(BoF, I do believe that the election was decisive enough for some Republicans to feel aggrieved without our rubbing their noses in it, don't you?)

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Nov 12 2008, 12:33 AM

+Quote Post
BoF
post Nov 12 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #9

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Nov 11 2008, 06:31 PM) *
BoF, I do believe that the election was decisive enough for some Republicans to feel aggrieved without our rubbing their noses in it, don't you?)

I'm not in particularly interested in rubbing anyone's nose in it, but I'm tired of hearing this thing about Obama's alleged lying being carried over from one thread to another.

This post has been edited by BoF: Nov 12 2008, 12:52 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: June 21st, 2018 - 12:21 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.