logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> What's new with you, Share new or old personal stories, facebook stuff.
net2007
post Nov 23 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #1

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,629

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

I'm hoping this can become a way to get to know the members of AD without so much focus on the politics. We tend to debate what's new in the world or the politicians we support. This is intended to only be political if something that has happened has effected your life in some way. Otherwise I think this can be a great way to know some things about our members.

Since photographs are easier to share from Facebook I also think putting a face or photograph to some of these experiences would be fantastic if members here are up for that much, otherwise just getting to know each other through simple stories could go as far as putting our debates into context, or putting a person behind them in a real way.

I really hope this forum can stick around in the long term as our lives continue to develop and change.

I have a great experience of my own to share soon to get this started.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18  
Start new topic
Replies (340 - 348)
Curmudgeon
post May 1 2017, 10:03 AM
Post #341

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 729

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(net2007 @ Apr 23 2017, 05:04 PM) *
I think it's worth it though, as some of you probably know magnetic tape does not last. If you have important family footage, back it up or have it done professionally or you'll lose those memories.

Last year, I was going to tape the debates as usual...and I learned that blank VHS tapes are no longer manufactured or sold...

I had a lot of my early computer files backed up on tape (with my first computer) and then floppy disks (They no longer make drives for them) and I just backed up everything on my old computer so that I can stay current when I fire up the computer the shop is building for me (Wednesday if all goes well.) I had priced the parts out for what I wanted last year and it was over a grand. The manager at the shop looked over my specs and quoted $600 and tax....

Tomorrow I am going for a brain scan to see what is impacting my vision...

I'm seeing double, falling often, and I decided that when I come out of brain surgery, I want a working computer with all my current records. This machine is telling me that I need to update to Windows 10 and renew my license for MS Office... In a few daysit will likely go out to the garage... flowers.gif

I've woken up in hospitals too often the past twenty years with no clue where I am, who my wife is, what a doctor is, what color the ceiling is...or even that what I am looking up at is a ceiling...

I'll check in again when I am back to functioning normally

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post May 2 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #342

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ May 1 2017, 05:03 AM) *
Last year, I was going to tape the debates as usual...and I learned that blank VHS tapes are no longer manufactured or sold...

laugh.gif
Yeah, it's....been a while Curm. smile.gif

I'm seeing double, falling often, and I decided that when I come out of brain surgery, I want a working computer with all my current records. This machine is telling me that I need to update to Windows 10 and renew my license for MS Office... In a few daysit will likely go out to the garage... flowers.gif

I've woken up in hospitals too often the past twenty years with no clue where I am, who my wife is, what a doctor is, what color the ceiling is...or even that what I am looking up at is a ceiling...

I hope you are doing well.
Also hope PE is back to health now?
Please let us know how the scan went, when you are able.

+Quote Post
net2007
post May 2 2017, 03:42 PM
Post #343

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 7,629

Party affiliation: Republican

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ May 1 2017, 06:03 AM) *
QUOTE(net2007 @ Apr 23 2017, 05:04 PM) *
I think it's worth it though, as some of you probably know magnetic tape does not last. If you have important family footage, back it up or have it done professionally or you'll lose those memories.

I had a lot of my early computer files backed up on tape (with my first computer) and then floppy disks (They no longer make drives for them) and I just backed up everything on my old computer so that I can stay current when I fire up the computer the shop is building for me (Wednesday if all goes well.) I had priced the parts out for what I wanted last year and it was over a grand. The manager at the shop looked over my specs and quoted $600 and tax....

Those health concerns sound hard to deal with, I hope you get feeling better soon. sad.gif

The change in formats for data storage is a real pain to deal with. It's getting better and we can store more data, (more reliably) but honestly, I think they drag their feet some in order to make you have to buy updated technology every few years. External hard drives are good for general data storage, I have a couple 2 terabyte hard drives with identical data on both just in case one hard drive fails, or my primary computer crashes.

+Quote Post
Trouble
post May 4 2017, 06:03 AM
Post #344

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 1,142

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: None

My mother had a rough winter. She went in for stint and a few days later was scheduled for open heart surgery in December. That was not easy to go through but it went alright. The hard part was the clotting which we were unprepared for once we got home.

As I have no siblings and my father passed on many years ago I have been pretty busy. Suffice to say the parent-child dynamic never really ends and when it was my turn to help her out she couldn't mentally handle it all that well. I've done everything these past months. The good news is after a million and one appointments later she finally had a good health review. I'm hoping from here on she can regain her independence and I can focus on my own health issues. I hope to have more time to myself again so I can improve my health and pay more attention to debating.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post May 4 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #345

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

QUOTE(Trouble @ May 4 2017, 01:03 AM) *
My mother had a rough winter. She went in for stint and a few days later was scheduled for open heart surgery in December. That was not easy to go through but it went alright. The hard part was the clotting which we were unprepared for once we got home.

As I have no siblings and my father passed on many years ago I have been pretty busy. Suffice to say the parent-child dynamic never really ends and when it was my turn to help her out she couldn't mentally handle it all that well. I've done everything these past months. The good news is after a million and one appointments later she finally had a good health review. I'm hoping from here on she can regain her independence and I can focus on my own health issues. I hope to have more time to myself again so I can improve my health and pay more attention to debating.

I'm sorry Trouble, that sucks. It's hard when parents get older and there isn't any other family or people to help out.
That's some serious caregiver work strain.
I'm glad to hear your mom is doing better and hope you get more time to do things for yourself. flowers.gif
It would be great to see you around but are you sure you want to debate more?
Might not give you much positive energy or much needed solace! laugh.gif

I had a patient last year I did home health for.
She lived very close by on my Island, and her younger daughter lived on the mainland about an hour away. Her other daughter was special needs and lived with her, so she was in no position to help...she actually needed help herself. This woman was 92 years old! I started visiting every day (off the clock). Long story short I was there for wound care but it didn't take long to realize (after looking at her lab reports and symptoms) the doctors had diagnosed her incorrectly. When we figured out what was wrong her symptoms improved quickly.
I have no doubt I saved her life.
It was a really rewarding experience I spoke to her daughter recently and she said she's doing great...93 years old now.
I really hated to leave that Island and hope we can go back when my husband is done with this assignment.

He has wanted to retire for a long while, but going into the Reserves pushed things back.
He's back on active duty orders now and finally got enough time in.
Assuming nothing happens, our assignment here will be over in a little over a year and then he can retire and it's on to other life adventures. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: May 4 2017, 12:11 PM

+Quote Post
Beladonna
post May 12 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #346

Resident Beach Bum

Sponsor
July 3, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 545

Party affiliation: Democrat

It has been years since I posted here at America's Debate. I checked in time to time and read a few post but life just got extremely busy with work and free time just seemed to go away.

I look back at all the debates we had on this board and how proud I was of how they were conducted. We respected each other. We had to know the facts. You had to cite the facts. We held each other to the facts.

What happened? I don't mean to this board. I mean to America. I feel like I live in a alternate world. Left means right and up Is down and people in positions of power act deranged while others who I thought were protectors of our processes stand silent or support.

So, what's new in my life. Well, while I participated in debate on this board I'd never actually participated in the political process in real. Now, I write my senators and congressman regularly. I will be participating in the 2018 election doing everything in my power to take power back from Republicans. I will march. I will call my representatives. I will walk door to door. I will resist!

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post May 12 2017, 08:31 PM
Post #347

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Wow! It has been a long while.
...good to see you back Belladonna.
Hope you'll get a chance to debate some.
flowers.gif

+Quote Post
Julian
post May 19 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #348

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

Busy busy busy...

Too busy to post on ad.gif.

Politically, at least, it's been difficult to lift my eyes to the horizon and pay attention to anything happening in the US, what with Brexit and the impending 'snap' General Election over here. The Labour Party have a great manifesto (the best in years, IMO) but are heading for a drubbing at the polls because their leader, Jeremy Corbyn, doesn't come across well on TV. He's scruffy and an unpolished performer, but most people agree he's a lot more honest than most politicians.

He's up against Theresa May, a soulless android who has managed to rise to the top of government mostly by not saying anything except meaningless platitudes (this years general election campaign is brought to you by the words "strong" and "stable"), and - unfortunately - this kind of empty but metronomic repetition of bland (and faintly sinister) soundbites* plays well with people who pay only passing attention to politics.

And, increasingly in my personal experience, more and more people here are actively avoiding all politics. My partner Liz is one, so are at least two o my work colleagues. I'm sure it's not a new thing, but what is new (to me at least) is the openness with which those avoiding even thinking about politics are happy to say so. The interesting thing is the lack of comeback most of those of us who do think and read and talk about it have; we know the current crop of front rank politicians are comparative pygmies who have stumbled into the corridors of power when those with more charisma and apparent talents failed, or tripped, or got caught out by events, or left politics in disillusionment. So the usual things to say ("of course politics is important - if you don't take part, you don't have the right to complain" and so on) don't have their previous traction.

*not even long enough to be "soundbites". More like "soundnibbles".

Personally, Kitty is growing up fast; she starts in the reception year of primary school in September, and turns 4 in July (nobody on ad.gif should forget her birthday; it's Independence Day!). It seems only moments ago she was a babe in arms, but now she's a bright, active and funny little girl who has no fear and is super chatty.

I turned 49 last October and, the week before, I joined a slimming club locally (Slimming World, which is a UK-originated version of Weight Watchers, I guess). So far, I've lost 4 stone (56 pounds) and my target, which I hope to reach by this summer, is to lose another 42 pounds to get down the the same weight I had when I was at college. I've lost almost 10 inches from my waist measurement already, and I can buy trousers (pants to you) in high street clothing stores for the under 50s. Pretty much any store that sells men's clothing will have something in my size now, where I sued to be restricted to sweat or combat pants. Mind you, I'm not spending a lot on a new wardrobe. There doesn't seem to be much point, not least because I still have a way to go to get where I want to be (i.e. to a BMI rated as 'normal'!); most of the clothes that now fit me have come from charity shops ("thrift stores"?) second hand. I've been surprised by how much stuff can be found in these, and how high the quality is on a lot of it.

I feel pretty good already - I can keep up with Kitty (though feel like I've been thumped after she's gone to bed). My adult onset asthma has cleared up almost completely - which is odd, because when I was first diagnosed, I don't remember my weight being brought up as a possible cause. Also, I used to get fungal skin infections a lot and they've almost gone; my hips don't ache after walking for more than 20 minutes or so, to the point where I have joined a gym again and find that I can run - albeit quite slowly and erratically - for 4 or 5 minutes at a time and still be able to talk during and immediately afterwards. People tell me I'm looking great (and not just loved ones - strange women who catch my eye in the street will actually smile at me now, rather than pretend they haven't seen me) and - while I wouldn't say I was in the shape of my life - I am certainly starting to see the possibility that I might yet get there and be even fitter and healthier than I was when I was 20, by the time I turn 50 this October.

I'm still doing some acting, and that's looking up a little too. I've always been involved in amateur theatre, mostly acting but some directing too. For the past three or four years, I've been working with a small company that has some big ideas; the main director has written several plays now, all of which are pretty good and some are of a very high standard (I'm convinced he's destined for proper recognition and reward for it). He's even written a part or two just for me (which is pretty flattering).

Just in the past six months or so, he's switched the company from straight amateur theatre to profitshare, which technically makes anyone involved a professional actor. So far, it's all been small-scale, fringe theatre stuff, but in September we're doing Great Expectations in the biggest local theatre. It seats 630 and we're selling tickets at marked prices of 13. If we sell more than about 120 we cover the costs, and everything after that gets split 10 ways between cast and crew. The book is on the new academic year's English and Drama syllabus (i.e. all kids between 14 and 16 will be studying it, because everyone has to do English as a compulsory subject) so we should sell half the seats at least just to local schools. So I'll be able to call myself a professional actor, come September, and earning enough from it to need to declare it for tax purposes (at least once in my life, which has always been an ambition).* Cool, or what?

*I can already do that as a director - a small play toured England last spring and I got paid beer money, but it all counts, right?

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post May 19 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #349

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

QUOTE(Julian @ May 19 2017, 06:04 AM) *
Busy busy busy...

Too busy to post on ad.gif.

Politically, at least, it's been difficult to lift my eyes to the horizon and pay attention to anything happening in the US, what with Brexit and the impending 'snap' General Election over here. The Labour Party have a great manifesto (the best in years, IMO) but are heading for a drubbing at the polls because their leader, Jeremy Corbyn, doesn't come across well on TV. He's scruffy and an unpolished performer, but most people agree he's a lot more honest than most politicians.

He's up against Theresa May, a soulless android who has managed to rise to the top of government mostly by not saying anything except meaningless platitudes (this years general election campaign is brought to you by the words "strong" and "stable"), and - unfortunately - this kind of empty but metronomic repetition of bland (and faintly sinister) soundbites* plays well with people who pay only passing attention to politics.

And, increasingly in my personal experience, more and more people here are actively avoiding all politics. My partner Liz is one, so are at least two o my work colleagues. I'm sure it's not a new thing, but what is new (to me at least) is the openness with which those avoiding even thinking about politics are happy to say so. The interesting thing is the lack of comeback most of those of us who do think and read and talk about it have; we know the current crop of front rank politicians are comparative pygmies who have stumbled into the corridors of power when those with more charisma and apparent talents failed, or tripped, or got caught out by events, or left politics in disillusionment. So the usual things to say ("of course politics is important - if you don't take part, you don't have the right to complain" and so on) don't have their previous traction.

I've noticed the same thing. I think the last election "done it". If Kasich had won things would've turned out differently, he was the least devisive candidate but we're (as Scott Adams mentioned recently in his blog) becoming more a direct democracy than a republic. To our detriment. It isn't fun to think about...I'd much rather watch videos of funny cats myself.

Personally, Kitty is growing up fast; she starts in the reception year of primary school in September, and turns 4 in July (nobody on ad.gif should forget her birthday; it's Independence Day!). It seems only moments ago she was a babe in arms, but now she's a bright, active and funny little girl who has no fear and is super chatty.

Squee! Hurray for Kitty. Happy birthday in advance. smile.gif

I turned 49 last October and, the week before, I joined a slimming club locally (Slimming World, which is a UK-originated version of Weight Watchers, I guess). So far, I've lost 4 stone (56 pounds) and my target, which I hope to reach by this summer, is to lose another 42 pounds to get down the the same weight I had when I was at college. I've lost almost 10 inches from my waist measurement already, and I can buy trousers (pants to you) in high street clothing stores for the under 50s. Pretty much any store that sells men's clothing will have something in my size now, where I sued to be restricted to sweat or combat pants. Mind you, I'm not spending a lot on a new wardrobe. There doesn't seem to be much point, not least because I still have a way to go to get where I want to be (i.e. to a BMI rated as 'normal'!); most of the clothes that now fit me have come from charity shops ("thrift stores"?) second hand. I've been surprised by how much stuff can be found in these, and how high the quality is on a lot of it.

I feel pretty good already - I can keep up with Kitty (though feel like I've been thumped after she's gone to bed). My adult onset asthma has cleared up almost completely - which is odd, because when I was first diagnosed, I don't remember my weight being brought up as a possible cause. Also, I used to get fungal skin infections a lot and they've almost gone; my hips don't ache after walking for more than 20 minutes or so, to the point where I have joined a gym again and find that I can run - albeit quite slowly and erratically - for 4 or 5 minutes at a time and still be able to talk during and immediately afterwards. People tell me I'm looking great (and not just loved ones - strange women who catch my eye in the street will actually smile at me now, rather than pretend they haven't seen me) and - while I wouldn't say I was in the shape of my life - I am certainly starting to see the possibility that I might yet get there and be even fitter and healthier than I was when I was 20, by the time I turn 50 this October.

I'm still doing some acting, and that's looking up a little too. I've always been involved in amateur theatre, mostly acting but some directing too. For the past three or four years, I've been working with a small company that has some big ideas; the main director has written several plays now, all of which are pretty good and some are of a very high standard (I'm convinced he's destined for proper recognition and reward for it). He's even written a part or two just for me (which is pretty flattering).

Just in the past six months or so, he's switched the company from straight amateur theatre to profitshare, which technically makes anyone involved a professional actor. So far, it's all been small-scale, fringe theatre stuff, but in September we're doing Great Expectations in the biggest local theatre. It seats 630 and we're selling tickets at marked prices of 13. If we sell more than about 120 we cover the costs, and everything after that gets split 10 ways between cast and crew. The book is on the new academic year's English and Drama syllabus (i.e. all kids between 14 and 16 will be studying it, because everyone has to do English as a compulsory subject) so we should sell half the seats at least just to local schools. So I'll be able to call myself a professional actor, come September, and earning enough from it to need to declare it for tax purposes (at least once in my life, which has always been an ambition).* Cool, or what?

*I can already do that as a director - a small play toured England last spring and I got paid beer money, but it all counts, right?

That's awesome, Jules. I really have to start doing something more proactive myself. I've been going the opposite route...getting tired and not exercising as much as I should and so forth. This new job of my husband's is sort of taking a toll on me. Small talk (particularly guarded small talk) really isn't my thing. I'm not super social by nature and I always have to be "on" these days. I don't even get to decide who comes to parties in my own home anymore.

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: May 19 2017, 01:58 PM

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: May 24th, 2018 - 11:20 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.