logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> A peculiar visitor here., An introduction indeed.
JP Cusick
post Oct 13 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #1

Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,134

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Democrat

Hi all.

I am active on many internet forums so I am not new to such an interface.

The registration here was strict and I see the rules here are strict too.

I am a real life 2012 candidate for the US Senate from my State of Maryland, see link here = Maryland Board of Elections - 2012 Primary State Candidates List.

My campaign platform is to reform the Child Support laws, see link here = Vote JP platform.

So some people could view me as being SPAM depending on however one might define SPAM but I do not consider myself as being SPAM.

I do want to discuss the issue and discuss my own politics and stuff so this is my intro.

us.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Gray Seal
post Oct 13 2011, 05:48 PM
Post #2

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 335

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: None

Welcome JP Cusick

Reforming child support laws is badly needed. These are state laws for the most part. There is some federal interference via presidential declaration which occurred when Clinton was President. Child support should not be an issue at the federal level. That is the only issue to address at the federal level...remove any law or regulation.

You will need more positions which address many activities of the federal government to have a successful campaign for the Senate.

I would be glad to participate in any discussion you have on any subject.

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Oct 13 2011, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 225

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Private

JP, here is something you might want to look at. This kind of thing if applied nationally could get every citizen who was under a legal requirement contributing to child support.

Much of the money will be garnished by the state to pay delinquent child support, back taxes, overdue student loan payments and other debts.

A good place to start would be a one dollar gas tax and its carbon equivalent that would be equally kicked back to every citizen. You could carry this kind of thing further with the idea of a national commons in which various activities were taxed for usage and then returned equally to the citizens. All would be subject to cs garnishment.

On a whole different track if we turned prisons into places of work where you were paid at least minimum wage that would be an all around win win with cs garnishment being one of the winners.

+Quote Post
JohnfrmCleveland
post Oct 13 2011, 07:57 PM
Post #4

Master Debater

Sponsor
September 2009

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 8,090

Politics: Very Liberal

QUOTE(JP Cusick @ Oct 13 2011, 01:03 PM) *
Hi all.

I am active on many internet forums so I am not new to such an interface.

The registration here was strict and I see the rules here are strict too.

I am a real life 2012 candidate for the US Senate from my State of Maryland, see link here = Maryland Board of Elections - 2012 Primary State Candidates List.

My campaign platform is to reform the Child Support laws, see link here = Vote JP platform.

So some people could view me as being SPAM depending on however one might define SPAM but I do not consider myself as being SPAM.

I do want to discuss the issue and discuss my own politics and stuff so this is my intro.

us.gif

Welcome to AD. I happen to be an attorney that does family law on the low end, so I'll be participating in those threads.

John

+Quote Post
JP Cusick
post Oct 13 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #5

Contributor

QUOTE(Gray Seal @ Oct 13 2011, 01:48 PM) *
Welcome JP Cusick

I thank you for the welcoming.

Reforming child support laws is badly needed. These are state laws for the most part. There is some federal interference via presidential declaration which occurred when Clinton was President. Child support should not be an issue at the federal level. That is the only issue to address at the federal level...remove any law or regulation.

The federal interference is already very widespread, link here = U.S. Dept of Health & Human Services - Administration for Children and Families.

I agree that President Clinton sold out the USA and our Democratic Party principles when he signed that ugly Republican legislature on Welfare reform, but the dirty deed is done now.

You will need more positions which address many activities of the federal government to have a successful campaign for the Senate.

One would think so but I find it to be quite the opposite.

Most political campaigns are very shallow and just name-recognition is all many incumbents run on.

The successful campaigns really do often have little more than a catchy saying as like "Yes we can" or "9-9-9" or "Peace with honor" and if a candidate's platform gets too complicated then we get lost into our own created confusion.

QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 13 2011, 03:19 PM) *
On a whole different track if we turned prisons into places of work where you were paid at least minimum wage that would be an all around win win with cs garnishment being one of the winners.

We do NOT want to turn American prisons into slave-labor camps, and the prison inmates would love to be given jobs even for $1.00 per day.

If we want to create jobs then we have a 9% unemployment rate of non-criminal workers already available.

But more so the idea that some people want to create labor-camps for parents so we can physically force parents into paying our Court ordered Child Support might be a BIG sign that this system is going way too far overboard.

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Oct 13 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #6

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 927

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

QUOTE(Gray Seal @ Oct 13 2011, 09:48 AM) *
Welcome JP Cusick

I would be glad to participate in any discussion you have on any subject.

I disagree- we need a father's bill of rights and to end child support as we know it- there is no way in gods green earth that a woman should get over 25k in her lifetime from child support. If she can't afford them, she shouldn't get custody- period.

+Quote Post
Gray Seal
post Oct 13 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #7

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 335

That sounds like reform to me. smile.gif

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Oct 13 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #8

Elite Senior Contributor

QUOTE(Gray Seal @ Oct 13 2011, 01:33 PM) *
That sounds like reform to me. smile.gif

I was incensed when I heard of a performer arrested for 420k dollars in back child support- what in gods name does the court think that a woman needs 420k dollars to raise a child? It is simply a lottery ticket for a lazy woman to use her uterus to extort money from her meal train. Personally, any woman that recieved over 300 dollars a month in child support, I don't care how many children she has, I would make her pay it back with 50% interest, and garnish 60% of her gross income just to see how she likes it. Yeah, I am angry. I have seen way too much abuse by CSSD in my lifetime, and it forced my dad into an early grave. A woman should NEVER be allowed to live off child support.

+Quote Post
Ataal
post Oct 13 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #9

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 674

Party affiliation: Libertarian

QUOTE(CruisingRam @ Oct 13 2011, 02:41 PM) *
I was incensed when I heard of a performer arrested for 420k dollars in back child support- what in gods name does the court think that a woman needs 420k dollars to raise a child? It is simply a lottery ticket for a lazy woman to use her uterus to extort money from her meal train. Personally, any woman that recieved over 300 dollars a month in child support, I don't care how many children she has, I would make her pay it back with 50% interest, and garnish 60% of her gross income just to see how she likes it. Yeah, I am angry. I have seen way too much abuse by CSSD in my lifetime, and it forced my dad into an early grave. A woman should NEVER be allowed to live off child support.

I'm sure if my father would have read this, he would crack open a beer, and probably use a four-letter metaphor followed by the word "yeah."

He and his father started up a company many years ago. There was no such thing as a weekly, or even bi-weekly, paycheck. He got paid when they got paid by their customers. So, what he did was, paid several months upfront. There were times when he paid 6-8 months upfront. He got receipts, signed by my mother, for all of it. This went on for several years. One day, they go out of business and he's out of work for a few months. Which just so happened to be a month over what he paid in advance for. So, my father goes down to talk to them. See if he can work something out, etc... He brought in all of his receipts to show he is up to date and that he's willing to work with them.

I've heard this story so many times and my dad gets pretty angry every time he thinks about it. He said the lady looked through his receipts and had to catch herself from laughing. She thought he was trying to pull one over on her. She then stated that it has to be paid month to month. Any money over the court appointed amount is charity. Instead of one month behind on child support, he was over two years behind. Thousands instead of hundreds.

I don't know if the laws have changed since then or if that's only a Utah thing, but it took a long time for my father to pay all that back. I love my mother, but she should have given all that garnishment back to him.

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Oct 13 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #10

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 225

Party affiliation: Private

QUOTE(JP Cusick @ Oct 13 2011, 02:17 PM) *
QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 13 2011, 03:19 PM) *

We do NOT want to turn American prisons into slave-labor camps, and the prison inmates would love to be given jobs even for $1.00 per day.

If we want to create jobs then we have a 9% unemployment rate of non-criminal workers already available.

But more so the idea that some people want to create labor-camps for parents so we can physically force parents into paying our Court ordered Child Support might be a BIG sign that this system is going way too far overboard.

I'm not talking about slave labor camps. I'm talking about job opportunities for prisoners that give them increasing purchasing power and job skills and among other things allow them to play some responsible roll with their families. Along with that it could help keep a lot of jobs at home that are currently being shipped overseas. It's not like there isn't any precedent. A friend of mine had a job doing prison dry cleaning while he was incarcerated and was able apply the skill on the outside.

Seems like a win win win all the way around.

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Oct 14 2011, 02:20 AM
Post #11

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

Welcome to ad.gif , JP Cusick!

I'm looking forward to reading your posts. Thank you for being brave enough to identify yourself as a candidate here. I will probably have many questions for you during the next several months.

+Quote Post
Bikerdad
post Oct 14 2011, 02:30 AM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 715

Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Welcome. FWIW, while you're correct that the CS system needs to be "reformed", your reforms amount to nothing more than a dirty bandage.

Child support should ONLY be awarded to an innocent spouse who gets custody. Which means bringing back fault based divorce. Which also means that if wombmomma didn't marry babydaddy, no child support.

Child support, as currently constituted, is an incentive to bad behavior. Once you grok that, you might be able to put together a reform that comports with justice. As it is, my guess is that your platform will manage to turn off the feminists ( "what, no minimum child support, how mean") and the manosphere ("It don't take 1.8 million dollars a year to raise a kid!" - Random NBA BabyDaddy ) and pretty much everybody in between.

+Quote Post
JP Cusick
post Oct 14 2011, 02:33 PM
Post #13

Contributor

QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 13 2011, 06:52 PM) *
I'm not talking about slave labor camps. I'm talking about job opportunities for prisoners that give them increasing purchasing power and job skills and among other things allow them to play some responsible roll with their families. Along with that it could help keep a lot of jobs at home that are currently being shipped overseas. It's not like there isn't any precedent. A friend of mine had a job doing prison dry cleaning while he was incarcerated and was able apply the skill on the outside.

Seems like a win win win all the way around.

In China they have their prisoners working at jobs because they view giving a prisoner "3-hots-and-a-cot" as outrageous, and the self righteous American gov has long time condemned China for those slave-labor camps which so very many Americans would like to see done here.

If we make prisoners to work even if we pay them a salary above the minimum wage but we deny such workers the simple basic human rights as like the ability to buy their own food or their own housing or the right to have a family then that is slavery and it would be cruel and inhuman.

And you are suggesting this for "PARENTS", not violent criminals but for dead-broke parents, to be put into work camps for their crime of parenting.

The cost of incarceration in the USA is around $25,000 per inmate per year, so for that cost we could give each parent a full time 40 hour week minimum wage job where they could live free and paying taxes and from that same $25,000 we could pay off the parents' Child Support orders in full, and then we would still have some cash left over to keep in the prison system for holding real criminals.

See Wiki link here = The Child Support Industry & Criticism.

I say the parents do NOT need any big-Daddy gov or laws dictating to parents as to their children and it was never needed to begin with.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 14 2011, 07:37 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

Welcome, John.

Child Support is an important issue, which has been undergoing change in many states. A large potential voting block, but one that has never seemed to have a corresponding campaign to latch on to. Even some of the recipients of the current system know that it needs to change. My sister commented as such several times, even though she was the beneficiary. There also needs to be some way to ensure that child support is actually spent on the child, too. There are plenty of stories of the one paying support having to buy clothes, etc for their child, because they don't have any---indicating baby momma is spending all the money on herself, and not on the child. There should be some way to control that. The court system, as you say, inherently assumes the father is a deadbeat, and the mother is a saint....which is certainly not always the case. I look forward to seeing what you contribute to debates here.

+Quote Post
JP Cusick
post Oct 14 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #15

Contributor

QUOTE(Hobbes @ Oct 14 2011, 03:37 PM) *
Welcome, John.

My real name is James Patrick Cusick, and as such I try to go by my two initials of JP.

But "John" was a close guess.

Child Support is an important issue, which has been undergoing change in many states. A large potential voting block, but one that has never seemed to have a corresponding campaign to latch on to. Even some of the recipients of the current system know that it needs to change. My sister commented as such several times, even though she was the beneficiary. There also needs to be some way to ensure that child support is actually spent on the child, too. There are plenty of stories of the one paying support having to buy clothes, etc for their child, because they don't have any---indicating baby momma is spending all the money on herself, and not on the child. There should be some way to control that. The court system, as you say, inherently assumes the father is a deadbeat, and the mother is a saint....which is certainly not always the case.

I do NOT want the gov to start supervising the Custodial parents as the State does NOT belong in the parenting business.

The laws now cheat and mistreat the noncustodial parents so we do not need some equality by violating the Custodial parents too.

I look forward to seeing what you contribute to debates here.

It turns out that this forum has me rather severely restricted and I see no way around that.

As I said in the OP that some people might view me as SPAM because I am not anonymous and I do have my own agenda.

It appears that posters here expect to discuss this subject out on the main board but I am restricted from starting a thread and so I am stuck here.

I have looked over the forum and I do not want to make posting onto various topics just to be posting when I have no interest or nothing to add into those other topics.

The rules appear unnecessarily too restrictive on this forum.

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Oct 14 2011, 09:32 PM
Post #16

Elite Senior Contributor

So I started a thread just dealing with your issue JP- enjoy

+Quote Post
JP Cusick
post Oct 15 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #17

Contributor

QUOTE(CruisingRam @ Oct 14 2011, 05:32 PM) *
So I started a thread just dealing with your issue JP- enjoy

This would be that one linked HERE.

+Quote Post
Julian
post Oct 17 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

QUOTE(JP Cusick @ Oct 14 2011, 10:28 PM) *
It turns out that this forum has me rather severely restricted and I see no way around that.

As I said in the OP that some people might view me as SPAM because I am not anonymous and I do have my own agenda.

It appears that posters here expect to discuss this subject out on the main board but I am restricted from starting a thread and so I am stuck here.

I have looked over the forum and I do not want to make posting onto various topics just to be posting when I have no interest or nothing to add into those other topics.

Welcome to ad.gif JP

Don't worry - that's a just a protection for the rest of us from fly-by-night posters who turn up, open a thread and then disappear from view. Not that you're in that category, you understand.

You have to contribute below the line (within the ad.gif rules) a few times before you can start creating new threads of your own. Them's the rules. But it's also good from your point of view, surely? If you're to be taken seriously as a candidate, you ought to be able to frame debates and engage with issues across the board, not only on your specialist subject area, no?

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Oct 17 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #19

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(JP Cusick @ Oct 14 2011, 05:28 PM) *
Welcome, John.

My real name is James Patrick Cusick, and as such I try to go by my two initials of JP.

But "John" was a close guess.

Child Support is an important issue, which has been undergoing change in many states. A large potential voting block, but one that has never seemed to have a corresponding campaign to latch on to. Even some of the recipients of the current system know that it needs to change. My sister commented as such several times, even though she was the beneficiary. There also needs to be some way to ensure that child support is actually spent on the child, too. There are plenty of stories of the one paying support having to buy clothes, etc for their child, because they don't have any---indicating baby momma is spending all the money on herself, and not on the child. There should be some way to control that. The court system, as you say, inherently assumes the father is a deadbeat, and the mother is a saint....which is certainly not always the case.

I do NOT want the gov to start supervising the Custodial parents as the State does NOT belong in the parenting business.

The laws now cheat and mistreat the noncustodial parents so we do not need some equality by violating the Custodial parents too.

I look forward to seeing what you contribute to debates here.

We've all abided by the rules and waited a while before being able to post our own threads. It's no big deal. It gives us a chance to first get to know each other a little in other threads. In the past there have been posters who joined us for no reason but to ride their own hobby horse, only to flame out in a very short time.

I hope you will see fit to join us in discussions besides the one that comprises your platform. Candidates who sound well-informed on a variety of subjects tend to gain the confidence of would-be supporters. On the other hand, one-subject politicians, although they may gain temporary attention ("The rent is too damn high!") tend to become a flash in the pan.

+Quote Post
JP Cusick
post Oct 18 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #20

Contributor

QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Oct 17 2011, 02:55 PM) *
We've all abided by the rules and waited a while before being able to post our own threads. It's no big deal. It gives us a chance to first get to know each other a little in other threads. In the past there have been posters who joined us for no reason but to ride their own hobby horse, only to flame out in a very short time.

I hope you will see fit to join us in discussions besides the one that comprises your platform. Candidates who sound well-informed on a variety of subjects tend to gain the confidence of would-be supporters. On the other hand, one-subject politicians, although they may gain temporary attention ("The rent is too damn high!") tend to become a flash in the pan.

It turns out that I too am one of those ride my "own hobby horse" and my flame here has indeed run out.

I still get email notifications if anyone wants to post on here but there is no reason for me to stay here.

I am active on many Internet forums and I do not participate on any subject just to debate and debate without purpose or conclusion.

And it really makes no sense to me that you or this forum or anyone to not want any short term participation or single subject members because that is a significant part of humanity.

Obeying rules is a far different virtue rather than paranoid restrictions. This forum can act like a privileged private Country Club since it appears that way, and so be it.

It is time for me to move on, but I will still reply here if any one wants to talk to me as a lone ranger, and as me being one of those kind of persons that are not wanted here.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: August 14th, 2018 - 08:57 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.