logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Buying New Cars Worth It?, Scotty Kilmer doesn't think so
AuthorMusician
post Feb 22 2019, 03:18 PM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Who is Scotty Kilmer? He's a mechanic who does a lot of YouTube vids. Here's the one that made me think of starting this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zL7P-etsDI

Kilmer points out that new cars have lots of microprocessors in them, 50 to 100 or thereabouts, and that makes troubleshooting a lot harder for even trained mechanics. Those microprocessors are supposed to be responsible for better gas mileage and more power. They are all tied together via a wiring bus, just like PCs, Macs, servers, mainframes -- virtually every smart device in existence.

But traveling involves getting dirty and wet, and microprocessors don't like that. The wires are microscopic on the chips and skinny low-voltage/low-amperage things otherwise.

Kilmer also thinks buying used Toyotas is the way to go and used Hondas if the Toys aren't available. He argues that a new car depreciates too quickly, which is an old principle I knew way back in the 1960s. I also knew that if you get the right deal, a new car is worth it because you know exactly what it's been through over the years. No surprises, such as the vehicle having been underwater in a flood.

Which of the following options are the best way to go, and why?

- Buy new

- Buy used

- Public transportation/cabs/uber et al

- Bring back the horse and buggy

- Walking
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: March 18th, 2019 - 01:40 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.