logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Is Buying New Cars Worth It?, Scotty Kilmer doesn't think so
AuthorMusician
post Feb 22 2019, 03:18 PM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Who is Scotty Kilmer? He's a mechanic who does a lot of YouTube vids. Here's the one that made me think of starting this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zL7P-etsDI

Kilmer points out that new cars have lots of microprocessors in them, 50 to 100 or thereabouts, and that makes troubleshooting a lot harder for even trained mechanics. Those microprocessors are supposed to be responsible for better gas mileage and more power. They are all tied together via a wiring bus, just like PCs, Macs, servers, mainframes -- virtually every smart device in existence.

But traveling involves getting dirty and wet, and microprocessors don't like that. The wires are microscopic on the chips and skinny low-voltage/low-amperage things otherwise.

Kilmer also thinks buying used Toyotas is the way to go and used Hondas if the Toys aren't available. He argues that a new car depreciates too quickly, which is an old principle I knew way back in the 1960s. I also knew that if you get the right deal, a new car is worth it because you know exactly what it's been through over the years. No surprises, such as the vehicle having been underwater in a flood.

Which of the following options are the best way to go, and why?

- Buy new

- Buy used

- Public transportation/cabs/uber et al

- Bring back the horse and buggy

- Walking
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Hobbes
post Apr 23 2019, 01:44 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

Haven't bought a new car in quite a while....both of my vehicles are used, and paid for!

That does make them cheaper, but also missing out on the various new features that the new cars have. Some of those are safety features which can lead to cheaper insurance, helping offset the cost of the new car.

It can be easier to get financing for new cars, and the payment on a used car could be about the same as the lease on a new car. The difference of course being the payments end, the lease needs to roll over into other payments later.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Apr 23 2019, 11:54 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

Which of the following options are the best way to go, and why?
- Buy new

This is what we did. Very recently too.
Obviously there are drawbacks...my "red zoomer" (aka a red colored ford edge) overheated on our way from Florida to Colorado.
It actually overheated within about an hour of our trip. This was fun with kids and dogs and all of our most important stuff we were carrying to make sure it was safe...to our new retirement home.
The Ford Edge (which wasn't very old) had systems to light up and tell me pretty much everything..."the air in your left front tire is a bit low there..." and so forth.
But it failed bigly when my engine overheated and caused catastrophic failure.
By contrast, the VW bug I owned when I was 16 and it had over 150,000 miles on it, would've never let me down like that.
And it had manual everything (not even power steering).

- Buy used
This seems to be what the smart people are doing. For the most part, we're not in this category.
We did buy a used car for our oldest son (he's in college), after he totaled his car...insurance paid for it.

- Public transportation/cabs/uber et al
We live on a mountain, so this isn't really a possibility for us.

- Bring back the horse and buggy
Too much poo and maintenance.

Walking
Heh, if you're near something. In our case it would take all day just to make it down the mountain. It's already an hour round trip to get groceries. smile.gif

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post May 5 2019, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

The last vehicle I bought new was a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport. It lasted long enough, got shifted to the oldest grand kid, and I don't want to know what happened to it afterward. The grand kid has gone through half a dozen other vehicles since.

I don't think used cars are the way to go unless you know a lot about their histories and are careful to avoid the ones that have known problems like failing automatic transmissions. This means buying used is always going to be a gamble, but maybe not as much as new cars. The quality has gone down across the board as the manufacturers concentrate on sales points unrelated to longevity.

So scratch off new cars too.

I'm now thinking of public transportation, including taxi cabs and maybe the smartphone stuff, with renting a vehicle when needed. Did something like this in my 20's when living in Minnesota and having just a motorcycle. Minneapolis had a good enough bus system that I could get to and from work, but it was such a royal pain that I bought a new '79 Malibu station wagon once I could. Station wagons made good camouflage back then, never got a ticket because I looked miserable enough as is. Minivans have since taken their place.

It had very little anti-pollution stuff, a three-speed manual transmission and a V-6. Sold it for scrap at 130,000 miles, and the engine was still oil-tight and ran great. Transmission was good too, so I got a good scrap price. Frame and body was in sad shape, lots of off-pavement miles. One rather stiff rear-ender that bent the frame, but behind the rear axle. Still driveable, very ugly, but also easy to get right-of-way because I obviously did not give a hoot. Learned that while driving my '55 Chrysler in N. MN and when cruising around Chicago. The worse you looked, the more people would get out of your way.

Anyway, we're moving to Grand Junction soon, which has public transportation, an actual taxi company (maybe two), and rentals. Also apartment rents a lot lower than in this area.

This scheme definitely will not work in the mountains or anywhere that's remote. But I bet more people will be looking at the cost of vehicle ownership more closely as it becomes plain that cars are no longer made for the long haul. They are more like Bic lighters than Zippos, except less reliable and a helluva lot more expensive.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: May 26th, 2019 - 10:58 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.