logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Let's talk about "Retard" and "Shucking and Jiving&, Anti-Social Social Media Mavens?
nighttimer
post Oct 25 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
February 2007

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 504

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Because to them attention is like air, two of the Right's leading pin-ups, Ann Coulter and Sarah Palin shared their political insights with the rest of America this week.

After the third and final debate between President Obama and former Governor Mitt Romney, Coulter tweeted, I highly approve of Romney's decision to be kind and gentle to the retard.

Coulter has been condemned as being thoughtless and heartless by families with special needs children. Naturally, she has thus far refused to apologize.

As if someone like Coulter who craves attention like a crack whore craves her next hit could possibly be shamed or embarrassed by her brain-dead remarks.

Not to be outdone, Sarah Palin, the resident Fox News commentator whose political expertise hinges on losing a presidential race and quitting her job governor of Alaska, popped off about the current event that has conservatives in a mouth-foaming frenzy, the attacks on the American embassy in Benghazi and what and when the Obama Administration knew about it being a terrorist attack.

Palin wrote on her Facebook page, "Why the lies? Why the cover up? Why the dissembling about the cause of the murder of our ambassador on the anniversary of the worst terrorist attacks on American soil? We deserve answers to this. President Obama's shuck and jive shtick with these Benghazi lies must end."

I don't buy for one second that even the spectacularly stupid Sarah Palin is unaware of the racial connotations of a phrase like "shuck and jive." She knows exactly what it means and that is why she said it.

The Urban Dictionary defines the term as: To "shuck and jive" originally referred to the intentionally misleading words and actions that African-Americans would employ in order to deceive racist Euro-Americans in power, both during the period of slavery and afterwards. The expression was documented as being in wide usage in the 1920s, but may have originated much earlier.

"Shucking and jiving" was a tactic of both survival and resistance. A slave, for instance, could say eagerly, "Oh, yes, Master," and have no real intention to obey. Or an African-American man could pretend to be working hard at a task he was ordered to do, but might put up this pretense only when under observation. Both would be instances of "doin' the old shuck 'n jive."

It has been adopted into non-Afroamerican speech, with a reference to behavior adopted in order to avoid criticism.

Nothing like a tasty little bit of race bait just before the election. rolleyes.gif

The questions for debate:

1. Should Ann Coulter apologize for anyone offended by her description of Obama as a "retard?"

2. Is Sarah Palin race-baiting by describing the president's responses to the Benghazi incident as a"shuck and jive schtick?"

3. Is describing someone as a "retard" or "shucking and jiving" offensive or fair criticism?

4. As neither Coulter or Palin hold any office or wield any influence are they relevant to this election?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Amlord
post Oct 25 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 572

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Oct 25 2012, 09:02 AM) *
Nothing like a tasty little bit of race bait just before the election. rolleyes.gif

Yes, but the question is: why are you engaging in it?

1. Should Ann Coulter apologize for anyone offended by her description of Obama as a "retard?"

Ann Coulter has written "Treason" "Demonic" "Godless" "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)". I highly doubt she's going to apologize for the term "retard".

2. Is Sarah Palin race-baiting by describing the president's responses to the Benghazi incident as a"shuck and jive schtick?"

I'm pretty sure I've heard Sarah Palin use the term "shuck and jive" before. Just because something can have a racist connotation doesn't mean it does have a racist connotation.

3. Is describing someone as a "retard" or "shucking and jiving" offensive or fair criticism?

Calling the President a retard is stupid and is simply Ann Coulter's way of being inflammatory. "Shucking and jiving" is actually a pretty close description of the last four years. The President doesn't take responsibility for much of anything. In fact, the President's own Press Secretary has used the term last year. I guess Jay Carney is a closet racist too.

Oh and you didn't emphasize "schtick" which is well known to be a put down to African American Jews. rolleyes.gif Why is Palin emphasizing the President's Jewishness? Oh wait, she's not.

It isn't "offensive". This is politics for goodness sake. Grow a thicker skin.

4. As neither Coulter or Palin hold any office or wield any influence are they relevant to this election?

No, they don't. Except to liberals who apparently hang on their every word and tweet.

+Quote Post
Vanguard
post Oct 25 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,505

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Oct 25 2012, 01:02 PM) *
Because to them attention is like air, two of the Right's leading pin-ups, Ann Coulter and Sarah Palin shared their political insights with the rest of America this week.

After the third and final debate between President Obama and former Governor Mitt Romney, Coulter tweeted, I highly approve of Romney's decision to be kind and gentle to the retard.

Coulter has been condemned as being thoughtless and heartless by families with special needs children. Naturally, she has thus far refused to apologize.

As if someone like Coulter who craves attention like a crack whore craves her next hit could possibly be shamed or embarrassed by her brain-dead remarks.

Not to be outdone, Sarah Palin, the resident Fox News commentator whose political expertise hinges on losing a presidential race and quitting her job governor of Alaska, popped off about the current event that has conservatives in a mouth-foaming frenzy, the attacks on the American embassy in Benghazi and what and when the Obama Administration knew about it being a terrorist attack.

Palin wrote on her Facebook page, "Why the lies? Why the cover up? Why the dissembling about the cause of the murder of our ambassador on the anniversary of the worst terrorist attacks on American soil? We deserve answers to this. President Obama's shuck and jive shtick with these Benghazi lies must end."

I don't buy for one second that even the spectacularly stupid Sarah Palin is unaware of the racial connotations of a phrase like "shuck and jive." She knows exactly what it means and that is why she said it.

The Urban Dictionary defines the term as: To "shuck and jive" originally referred to the intentionally misleading words and actions that African-Americans would employ in order to deceive racist Euro-Americans in power, both during the period of slavery and afterwards. The expression was documented as being in wide usage in the 1920s, but may have originated much earlier.

"Shucking and jiving" was a tactic of both survival and resistance. A slave, for instance, could say eagerly, "Oh, yes, Master," and have no real intention to obey. Or an African-American man could pretend to be working hard at a task he was ordered to do, but might put up this pretense only when under observation. Both would be instances of "doin' the old shuck 'n jive."

It has been adopted into non-Afroamerican speech, with a reference to behavior adopted in order to avoid criticism.

The questions for debate:

As a kid I heard it all the time and even used it myself. I no longer like it and wish public figures would no longer use it. She should simply stop using the word and forget about apologies. The political world no longer accepts apologies for what they are anyway. It would simply become a farce and fodder for the next joke... sad.gif

I use this phrase now more than I ever did though still not that frequently. I like it and really don't care when its used unless it becomes apparent it is used too frequently in the context of when speaking of someone black. What bothers me about Palin's use of the phrase is that on Benghazi Obama really isn't shucking and jiving in the best sense of the phrase and least not yet anyway. This prompts me to wonder if Palin is deliberately using this in a racially derogatory way. Shame on her if that's the case. He really isn't "shucking and jiving" on this one but rather avoiding what is now becoming a bigger scandal than what I'm sure he wanted just before election day. He and his team have really blown it on this one and now the hens are coming home to roost. I would imagine Biden if asked would be the one to shuck and jive his way through this cover up. We'll see.

The former - yes, and the latter - it depends.

I like much of Coulter's schtick though admittedly I haven't heard from her much. Her influence isn't any more or less than the talking head liberal pundits on the other side of the fence who also blather on about their "pet" thoughts. As for Palin, her prose has never resonated with me and I'll switch the channel when she's on.

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Oct 25 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #4

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Member No.: 5,438

Politics: Slightly Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

Should she? Yes. Will she? No.

I don't know. "Shuck and jive" is not something I've ever said, nor have I heard anyone say it personally. Thus from my perspective, it comes off as racist. However, it may be a phrase others use in a non-racist way. However, Palin has said many inflammatory, racist comments before so it would not surprise me if this is an incidence of race-baiting.

Yes to the former. To the latter, it depends. Criticism can be fair but put together in a poor way.

Anyone who has a voice in national media has the potential to wield influence, but I'd say these two have past their expiry date. Their comments are incredibly predictable and sadly lacking in depth or nuance.

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Oct 25 2012, 03:57 PM
Post #5

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(vsrenard @ Oct 25 2012, 10:40 AM) *

Should she? Yes. Will she? No.

I don't know. "Shuck and jive" is not something I've ever said, nor have I heard anyone say it personally. Thus from my perspective, it comes off as racist. However, it may be a phrase others use in a non-racist way. However, Palin has said many inflammatory, racist comments before so it would not surprise me if this is an incidence of race-baiting.

Yes to the former. To the latter, it depends. Criticism can be fair but put together in a poor way.

Anyone who has a voice in national media has the potential to wield influence, but I'd say these two have past their expiry date. Their comments are incredibly predictable and sadly lacking in depth or nuance.

Ann Coulter would have a lot of apologizing to do if she suddenly became concerned that offensive remarks hurt other people. I expect a huge meteor to hit the earth before she ever apologizes for what she says. If she did apologize, she would be damaging her bread-and-butter career of publicly putting down people and maybe have to earn a more honest living.

2. Is Sarah Palin race-baiting by describing the president's responses to the Benghazi incident as a "shuck and jive schtick?"
I think so. But maybe she should just go back to shooting wolves from helicopters when she's not at her hair appointment. What's "sauce for the [gander] is sauce for the [goose]," after all. And maybe the media should stop publicizing every dumb and offensive remark that so-called celebrities utter.

It is considered offensive by people who have special needs kids to have their children called "retards." Call a non-mentally challenged student a "retard" and you stand to get a middle finger flipped at you, accompanied by some profanity suggesting that you do something to yourself. That is not generally considered to be a friendly response. And even some mentally-challenged students will respond in like manner. Even Dick Cheney did that to a Senator on the Senate floor once.

The Harvard Law Review would be surprised to find that a mentally-challenged student was elected President of their Law Review and then became a university professor of law.

It is outside the ethnic, cultural background of Ms. White Bread Palin to use the term "shucking and jiving" when referring to people with whom she usually associates, so I'm concluding that when referring to the President, she chose to use different language to describe his activities. Maybe she's still hurting from 2008; I don't know. Getting in a jab probably makes her feel better. She's lucky there's someone willing to publicize her remarks.

Now maybe if John McCain had become President and then died, Sarah Palin might be grating cheese for her macaroni and wearing an apron while she spoke to the press about something similiar to the attacks in Benghazi, but I doubt that even she could be counted upon to be fulfilling a stereotypical female housewife role while President. And wouldn't people call it misogynistic if some cynical pundit suggested that she would!

Sarah Palin was merely trying to find a clever way to say that Obama was lying, and instead, she just found an offensive way.

So no, it isn't fair. But it is what it is, and these Republicans and self-identified conservatives don't really care who they offend or how, just as long as they get on those airwaves with what they have to say. Perhaps it is better to let it stand than to attempt some lame "IF I offended somebody" crap. Better to see them for who and what they really are: spiteful and vindictive.

They still have soapboxes for some reason, but they are definitely on the periphery, and were it not for FOX News neither of them would be heard very often at all.

-----------------------------------

And just to spite Ms. Coulter and Ms. Palin with their comments on the President being "retarded" and "shuckin' and jivin'," let me include today's headline:

Colin Powell Endorses Obama again, http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2012...679z4dDOzsFq0xY

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Oct 25 2012, 04:13 PM

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Oct 25 2012, 05:38 PM
Post #6

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 225

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Private

That's her bread and butter. That's the kind of thing she gets paid handsomely to do. Rush Limbaugh etc. etc. There are tons of these folks enriching themselves in this fashion. I've been on plenty of forums and one thing I've learned is republican conservatives consistently get excited and high off her verbal fumes.

What else has she got? She didn't even realize North Korea was not an ally. Thanks McCain for being willing to put this public policy ignoramus one heart beat away from the presidency. This is the guy who makes "Security" his byword.

A one word answer to that should suffice - context.

Probably, but I couldn't tell you in what way except to energize their conservative republican base. Let's just say they know how to get a lot of media attention and it is not by sober disinterested analysis.

A thought. Too bad we can't arrange for some folks to decamp to a space colony before we self-destruct. It would be nice to have somebody left to work on the question that given the mountain of disreputable folks who attained such persistent political popularity, was perhaps democracy not a very good fit for homo sapien sapiens?

This post has been edited by Dingo: Oct 25 2012, 06:37 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Oct 25 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

In a polite society, sure. However, she has sunk to the bottom of the pit and can't help herself any longer. She has the horrible condition of having lost all sensibility about nearly everything. However, she still knows how to make the big bucks by trashing liberals and Democrats, and pretty much everybody but Republicans.

Palin is worse off than Coulter. Still, both roll in the bucks, so for a certain segment of the political spectrum, they are really smart. I see it as lucky, since the long con requires more skill than either possesses.

They are both meaningless expressions by today's vernacular, one being from the grade school playground and the other from history. They were both used specifically to be offensive, but both offenders missed the mark by several country miles.

Yeah, about as relevant as a talking yard sign. Not quite there, but close.

When I first heard about these comments, my immediate thought was. "Sticks and stones, but really? Retard and shuck/jive? Is that all that's in there?" These two ladies have hurt themselves more than their target. Then I thought, "Stupid is as stupid does."

And there's no cure for stupid. They are both stuck with it from here on out.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Oct 25 2012, 08:46 PM

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Oct 26 2012, 03:12 AM
Post #8

Sponsor
February 2007

QUOTE(Amlord @ Oct 25 2012, 09:50 AM) *
QUOTE(nighttimer @ Oct 25 2012, 09:02 AM) *

Yes, but the question is: why are you engaging in it?

Don't ask an asinine question that has nothing to do with the topic, Amlord. Set aside your slobbering fanboy worship of Coulter and Palin for a moment and perhaps you'll notice there was no racial baiting by me in the OP. Until you produce evidence to the contrary we can ignore that outburst and move on to something actually relevant to the debate.

QUOTE(Amlord)

Ann Coulter has written "Treason" "Demonic" "Godless" "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)". I highly doubt she's going to apologize for the term "retard".

And you're okay with that? ermm.gif

QUOTE(Amlord)

I'm pretty sure I've heard Sarah Palin use the term "shuck and jive" before. Just because something can have a racist connotation doesn't mean it does have a racist connotation.

Which also means it could have a racist connotation and even Sarah Palin knows it. If that's the best defense you can offer for Palin's race-baiting, it's no defense at all.
QUOTE(Amlord)

Calling the President a retard is stupid and is simply Ann Coulter's way of being inflammatory. "Shucking and jiving" is actually a pretty close description of the last four years. The President doesn't take responsibility for much of anything. In fact, the President's own Press Secretary has used the term last year. I guess Jay Carney is a closet racist too.

Palin citing someone else using a derogatory phrase doesn't make her usage any more acceptable. If anything, when you consider how she got her panties in a wad when jumped all over former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel for calling unspecified liberal Democrats "f***ing retarded" and demanded Obama fire him, why is she not joining in the criticism of Coulter when she specially called the president "retarded."

I'll tell you why. Because Palin is a rank hypocrite. She'll never criticize Coulter for doing the exact same thing as Emanuel, because Coulter is on her team.

Just so you're clear on this, "shucking and jiving" is a racist description, Amlord. Of the last four years and anything else. You wouldn't say it about a White politician and saying it about a Black one definitely makes it so.

QUOTE(Amlord)
Oh and you didn't emphasize "schtick" which is well known to be a put down to African American Jews. rolleyes.gif Why is Palin emphasizing the President's Jewishness? Oh wait, she's not.

I'm not Jewish and I will leave it to someone who is to decide how they feel about Sarah "Blood Debt" Palin once again biting off Yiddish terminology.

However, I am Black, and I can speak with some authority to the offensiveness of a White person telling a Black person not to "shuck and jive."

QUOTE(Amlord)
It isn't "offensive". This is politics for goodness sake. Grow a thicker skin.

So if Coulter and Palin decide to simply cut to the chase and call Obama a "nigger" that wouldn't be offensive to you. Just politics. Got it.

Growing a thicker skin is not a defense against incivility, ignorance and race-based hatred as exemplified by two of the Right wing's favorite centerfolds. If calling someone a "retard" isn't offensive, are we now free on ad.gif to dismiss any debate we disagree with as "retarded" and the debater as a "retard?"

No, they don't. Except to liberals who apparently hang on their every word and tweet.

Liberals aren't buying Coulter or Palin's cruddy little books. Conservatives are and especially White conservative men. They always whine about how mean liberals are, but don't have any problem with it when it's one of their own engaging in such vile and disgusting speech.

You say Obama is guilty of "shucking and jiving." I say Palin is guilty of finally being open with her bigotry. Coulter? We all knew she was a publicity whore who will say anything as long as it gets her a little attention. And sells another crappy book to another White conservative.

+Quote Post
Aquilla
post Oct 26 2012, 06:27 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 421

Somebody's grumpy in Obamaville today. hmmm.gif Wonder what it could be. Maybe that old shuck ain't jiving quite as well as it was four years ago. So, let's try that race card thing again. sleeping.gif

For the record, I did use that term to describe Bill Clinton from time to time back in my debate days on AOL although I really preferred the "shazamm defense" as a description of his actions when he got caught in a lie (which happened nearly every day). I dunno, probably offended a bunch of southern white gas station guys who joined the Marines with that one. ermm.gif

As far as Ann Coulter and Sarah Palin are concerned.... who really cares?

Aquilla

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Oct 26 2012, 06:38 AM
Post #10

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Aquilla @ Oct 26 2012, 02:27 AM) *
Somebody's grumpy in Obamaville today. hmmm.gif Wonder what it could be. Maybe that old shuck ain't jiving quite as well as it was four years ago. So, let's try that race card thing again. sleeping.gif

For the record, I did use that term to describe Bill Clinton from time to time back in my debate days on AOL although I really preferred the "shazamm defense" as a description of his actions when he got caught in a lie (which happened nearly every day). I dunno, probably offended a bunch of southern white gas station guys who joined the Marines with that one. ermm.gif

Aquilla

Yep, not much care at all, not even from the peanut gallery. It's really sad to see minds go to waste like this, although Palin didn't have much to lose in the first place. Coulter is a different story with the same sad ending. I'm having a hard time envisioning them as senior citizens, and I hope that's not a premonition. Even nattering nabobs deserve a shot at old age and its accompanying humiliations.

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Oct 26 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #11

Sponsor
February 2007

QUOTE(Aquilla @ Oct 26 2012, 02:27 AM) *

Not grumpy. Just tired of how racially-loaded invective and hatred is vomited up by publicity whores like Coulter and Palin while supposedly respectable and mainstream conservatives simply wave it away as insignificant.

Coulter has boasted that because of "her looks" she can get away with saying things a conservative male can't. Maybe so. It certainly appears conservative men are so enamored of limp blonde locks, skinny legs and a protruding Adam's apple that they fall silent in sheer awe of the Coultergeist's "hotness."

Suckers. dry.gif

QUOTE(Aquilla)

Obviously you don't (no surprise there). You're fine with ignorance and bigotry as long as it comes from your team, but as far as the Hillbilly from Wasilla goes, John Franklin Stephens does care. The 30-year-old Special Olympian with Down's Syndrome cares quite a bit.

After I saw your tweet, I realized you just wanted to belittle the president by linking him to people like me. You assumed that people would understand and accept that being linked to someone like me is an insult and you assumed you could get away with it and still appear on TV.

I have to wonder if you considered other hateful words but recoiled from the backlash.

Well, Ms Coulter, you, and society, need to learn that being compared to people like me should be considered a badge of honor.

No one overcomes more than we do and still loves life so much
thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
lo rez
post Oct 26 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #12

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 10,616

Party affiliation: Independent

To stop these monsters one-two-three
Here's a fresh new way that's ttrouble free
It's got Paul Anka's guarantee!
(Guarantee void in Tennessee)

Just don't look. Just don't look.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Oct 26 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative

QUOTE(lo rez @ Oct 26 2012, 09:47 AM) *

And here I was trying to construct a haiku. laugh.gif

I think Romney is a retard. I'm not going to apologize. Taking these people seriously makes them serious.

+Quote Post
Aquilla
post Oct 26 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Oct 26 2012, 08:33 AM) *
QUOTE(Aquilla)

Obviously you don't (no surprise there). You're fine with ignorance and bigotry as long as it comes from your team, but as far as the Hillbilly from Wasilla goes, John Franklin Stephens does care. The 30-year-old Special Olympian with Down's Syndrome cares quite a bit.

Actually, point of order here. I think you have your hillbilly mixed up with the blonde bimbo. I think John Stephens was referring to Ann Coulter's "retard" remark (which I do find highly offensive regardless of who says it). I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though, any more than I do over stupid things Bill Maher (a friend Ann Coulter by the way) says. The two of them deserve each other (just please, please don't pro-create).

So, what to do about it? I suppose we could have a food fight over it here about which
"side" is more offensive, your mashed potatoes or my grits. Might be entertaining for awhile, but with the price of food these days.......

Aquilla

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Oct 26 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #15

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ Oct 26 2012, 09:54 AM) *
QUOTE(lo rez @ Oct 26 2012, 09:47 AM) *

And here I was trying to construct a haiku. laugh.gif

I think Romney is a retard. I'm not going to apologize. Taking these people seriously makes them serious.

It's usually noisiest before the fall. However, this whole Twitter deal and Facebook have opened up a side of celebrity that wasn't seen so clearly before. Right now people can't help but look at the dirty laundry and tweet to each other about how badly it smells. There's also the freak sideshow appeal of dull wits coming through sharp tongues, rubbernecking at train wrecks, and I wish I could think of a word or metaphor for people who fake laugh when cornered.

Ah well, less than two weeks now. I suppose things will get stranger before the dust settles.

+Quote Post
BoF
post Oct 26 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #16

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

Here's what surprises me. Sarah Palin has a Down's Syndrome child. Yet she has not criticizes Coulter's use of the word "retard." I would suggest that Palin has a severe case of "same team" syndrome.

+Quote Post
Aquilla
post Oct 26 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(BoF @ Oct 26 2012, 01:16 PM) *
Here's what surprises me. Sarah Palin has a Down's Syndrome child. Yet she has not criticizes Coulter's use of the word "retard." I would suggest that Palin has a severe case of "same team" syndrome.

Good to see you back, BoF. Hope you're feeling ok.

I would think Sarah Palin would be offended by the term, but didn't think it would serve any purpose to get into a cat fight with Ann Coulter over.

Aquilla

This post has been edited by Aquilla: Oct 26 2012, 07:06 PM

+Quote Post
Amlord
post Oct 26 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Member No.: 572

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Oct 25 2012, 11:12 PM) *
So if Coulter and Palin decide to simply cut to the chase and call Obama a "nigger" that wouldn't be offensive to you. Just politics. Got it.

That word is so passe. I also heard it ten times in the last week come out of my son's IPod by black musicians. The "N word" simply doesn't carry the same meaning as it did when you and I grew up.

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Oct 25 2012, 11:12 PM) *
Growing a thicker skin is not a defense against incivility, ignorance and race-based hatred as exemplified by two of the Right wing's favorite centerfolds. If calling someone a "retard" isn't offensive, are we now free on ad.gif to dismiss any debate we disagree with as "retarded" and the debater as a "retard?"

Growing a thicker skin is the ONLY defense. Should I be insulted by what you think my opinions are? Should I be insulted if someone thinks I'm dumb, or a racist, or hate women or want poor people to starve? No, because they aren't true and I know it. My thick skin protects me from being offended by your opinion of me.

Coulter does what she does. She throws out bombs to get a reaction. As Pavlov predicted, here you are reacting.

Newsflash: Everyone in the country knows that Barack Obama is half-black. If that affects their vote, then it has already affected their vote. Palin's use of a fairly obscure (but not unknown) term to describe the administration's treatment of Benghazi is not a racial epithet, even if you and Rachel Maddow and other MSNBC types are offended, unless she intended it as a racial epithet.

Words that used to be inflammatory have entered into the vernacular. They don't mean the same thing with the same context as before. Which is why we can say bitch and crap and various other things on TV now.

QUOTE(BoF @ Oct 26 2012, 02:16 PM) *

Perhaps she isn't offended by it? "Retard" is a pretty common school yard insult these days.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Oct 26 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative

QUOTE(Aquilla @ Oct 26 2012, 03:06 PM) *
I would think Sarah Palin would be offended by the term, but didn't think it would serve any purpose to get into a cat fight with Ann Coulter over.

It would serve the same purpose that all of the rest of their commentary serves.
A cat fight between those two? Candidly? Even I would pay money to see that one. Especially if Sarah could beat the Bejesus out of Coulter, and I'm sure she could.

It would generate far more revenue than Palin's reality show. Throw down the gauntlet now, Sarah! A percentage of the proceeds from sponsors could be used to fund the debt. innocent.gif

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Oct 26 2012, 07:51 PM

+Quote Post
Bikerdad
post Oct 26 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 715

QUOTE(Amlord @ Oct 26 2012, 01:45 PM) *
Perhaps she isn't offended by it? "Retard" is a pretty common school yard insult these days.
"These days"?!? It's been a common schoolyard insult for generations.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: September 21st, 2018 - 10:15 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.