logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> ...preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, "fair questions" for Presidential candidate debates
Curmudgeon
post Aug 28 2015, 03:08 PM
Post #1

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 729

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

I would prefer to post this in Election 2016, but...

US Constitution, Article II, Section 1

Before he enter on the execution of his office, he shall take the following oath or affirmation: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."

I don't know how to feed questions to the networks, but "Presidential Debates" seem to be here to stay, as well as complaints that the questions are "unfair."

I would like to see Presidential campaign promises matched against Constitutional References:

Example:
QUOTE(John Kasich)
...if I Were King in America, I would abolish all teachers lounges. ( link )

Question: Mr. Kasich, Article I Section 9 of The United States Constitution states in part: "No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States..." "Why did you use the phrase, "If I were King in America?"

(Not to mention the "unfair question," "Were you able to accomplish that as Governor of Ohio?")

Topic to discuss: Match a candidate's campaign promise with an apparent Constitutional conflict.

If we can get enough questions together, perhaps someone can feed this thread to a network that is hosting a "Presidential Debate."

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Aug 28 2015, 03:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
AuthorMusician
post Aug 29 2015, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Topic to discuss: Match a candidate's campaign promise with an apparent Constitutional conflict.

Just about everything that Trump says comes with conflicts with the Constitution. Reporters have been trying to nail him down on the details, but he just brushes them off. This appeals to a large part of the Republican Party, which is putting the Party leadership into conniption fits and isn't setting well with anyone in the media.

I'm not sure if this would work, but it gets to the point: Mr. Trump, do you consider yourself a demagogue or a prima donna?

Those two nouns have multiple meanings, both positive and negative. The usual connotation goes to the negative, one as being a fake populist and the other as being a huge, gorgeous pain in the rump.

Would Trump be quick enough to pick up on the positives while discounting the negatives? Or would he ramble all around the subject without ever giving any sort of answer? A third possibility is that he would deny being either one, perhaps defining himself in a manner that screams amateur politician.

Follow up question: Mr. Trump, would you ever hire anybody who has no experience in the field?

Expansion question: What would be the criteria you'd use if you hired such a person?

This questioning addresses the concern many voters have that he wants to be POTUS while having zero experience in civil politics (as opposed to corporate politics). Trump does have campaigning experience, which turned out to be fruitless. He does have experience at building corporate empires. The fundamental skills and talents involved in his actual experiences could transfer to national politics, but would he have the smarts to draw the parallels?

Here's a question for any candidate: We know that Brian Williams and Bill O'Reilly have had trouble with accurately remembering their experiences. This turns out to be a common human weakness. How do you confront this human behavior, and how do you keep your stories about your experiences as accurate as possible?

It's a bit of a trick question, since it makes assumptions on universal human behavior that haven't been determined to be always, or even usually, true. Ergo, the premises can be questioned right off. But the question could prompt introspective answers. A candidate could say that he or she keeps a daily journal to make sure that memories don't become fictions. Or the candidate could say that meditation and yoga exercises keeps her or him grounded in reality. A lot of different answers are possible and plausible, so it'd reveal more about what makes the candidate tick.

There's also an assumption that the candidate does indeed want to keep the stories accurate. It'd be interesting to find out who among them do not have this concern.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Aug 30 2015, 07:06 AM
Post #3

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Aug 29 2015, 12:01 PM) *
Just about everything that Trump says comes with conflicts with the Constitution.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious...

I listen to Trump discuss Mexico as though it was an employment agency that he would not recommend. That may appeal to certain racists, but I think on a local level the INS has been very effective. There were several local Mexican Restaurants that were employing undocumented Mexican immigrants. (No green card, no native born children, no immigration applications in process, no Social Security Cards, etc.) I do not recall if it was the INS or the IRS that sued, but the judge awarded full ownership of the restaurants to the legally employed workers. "Mr. Trump, much of the money that foreign workers earn here has to be spent here... Why don't you simply encourage Congress to provide adequate funding to the INS and the IRS to ensure that jobs created in America go to American Citizens or to resident aliens with Green Cards? "

Trump likely only said once that he would build a wall across the entire border with Mexico and send the bill to Mexico. (Although it seems as though it is on a 5 minute loop on every television network.) I believe I was taught that we fought a war with Mexico which was likely settled with a treaty that defined that border. As I recall, the Rio Grande river is a major portion of that border... The obvious question: "Mr. Trump, on which side of the Rio Grande river would you build your wall, and how would you resolve the issue of water rights?" (And the obvious follow up question, "In which nation's court system would you sue Mexico to make Mexico pay for the wall?")

Speaking of Treaties, Trump claims that he would implement a 35% tariff on goods crossing the Mexican border. "Mr. Trump, are you aware that NAFTA is a treaty between three nations which is being used as a basis for trade agreements between other nations? What part of the Constitution do you think allows a President to ignore treaties which have been ratified by the Senate?"

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Aug 30 2015, 07:17 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: June 21st, 2018 - 08:46 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.