logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Bill O'reilly Fired Following Allegations of Sexual Harassment, The End of an Era in Cable News.
net2007
post Apr 23 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #1

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,629

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/business...llegations.html

Bill O'Reilly's reign as the top-rated host in cable news came to an abrupt and embarrassing end on Wednesday as Fox News forced him out after the disclosure of a series of sexual harassment allegations against him and an internal investigation that turned up even more.

When they say top-rated, it was for more than 16 years. Sometimes the ratings of the Factor exceeded that of the best (non-news) programming such as AMCs The Walking Dead. O'Reilly, in large part, helped build the Fox News Channel to what it is today, (a major news network giving conservatives a voice).

My opinion on this is that if these allegations are true, which seems very likely, that O'Reilly should have been ousted. That kind of thing is a distraction from a healthy workplace environment and clearly disrespectful towards woman. Having said that, there are some underlying footnotes here.

There are those who wanted to see O'Reilly go for political reasons, who are relieved by this news because they don't like what he has to say, and don't like the fact that he challenges the left. This is evident in the fact that some are talking as much about his political views being ridiculous as they are about the women who were affected. This comes in combination with the fact that the outrage didn't seem to be there (to this degree) over Bill Clinton's sex scandals. Most of the time there was admission that the allegations were true but many wanted to see him remain in office and defended him wholeheartedly.

In my eyes, it would make sense to discuss the character of the accused and given that politics are obviously a huge part of the daily lives of pundits and politicians, it makes sense that it'd be mentioned as well. However, I think some get lost when politics in itself becomes the determining factor. hmmm.gif

Questions for Debate...

1. If you're a woman or know a woman who was a victim of sexual harassment do you have any insight
on the severity of cases like this?

2. Where does Bill O'Reilly go from here, do you believe he can recover from this?

3. Fox News has remained number 1 in viewership for 61 consecutive quarters, does this hold or will Fox see a dip in ratings?

4. Do you believe that political bias has anything to do with the strong reaction some are having to O'Reilly's departure?

On a personal note...

I'm a little late on this one due to time constraints in my personal life but decided to go forward with it. I may take a few days in between replies but I'd rather that then not have debates. I can be stubborn tongue.gif

This post has been edited by net2007: Apr 23 2017, 09:08 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
AuthorMusician
post Apr 24 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

1. If you're a woman or know a woman who was a victim of sexual harassment do you have any insight

I know some men who got caught at it, but since that's not relevant to the question, the answer has to be no. I did know a woman who was raped by her father, but that was quite a bit different. About the only thing similar is the attitude that women exist primarily to sexually service men. Add a stint in a Nazi POW camp to that, and out comes a warped sexual predator beyond repair.

2. Where does Bill O'Reilly go from here, do you believe he can recover from this?

He probably won't be able to get a paid gig due to him being let go because of sponsor backlash, so maybe he'll just live off his $25 million severance. Maybe he will write a book about how hard this is, like the former CEO of HP did. Maybe he'll run for public office like she did. Or maybe he'll write more about history, but without staff to do the grunt work for him and loss of celebrity status, probably not.

My prognostication is that he fades away into the sunset.

3. Fox News has remained number 1 in viewership for 61 consecutive quarters, does this hold or will Fox see a dip in ratings?

Since he was the most popular commentator, the odds are toward dipping. The whole news empire might be in trouble if more accusations come out about other men working there.

4. Do you believe that political bias has anything to do with the strong reaction some are having to O'Reilly's departure?

I wouldn't call it political bias but delight that a scoundrel finally got nailed.

It is interesting that it wasn't his overly bloated salary that did it, but the cost of his escapades to the company. And that cost was only $13 million, so maybe there's something bigger in the works that actually will lead to the downfall of Fox News. If it's true that sexual harassment is throughout the corporate culture, that could be the something bigger. I suppose that women have become emboldened to come forward, and as with so many other men who have been nabbed, the problem isn't so much the behavior but the cost of getting caught that counts in corporate land.

However, the men I've known who have been caught were simply fired. Cost didn't seem to have an impact, but maybe it was the potential of cost that did.

Anyway, the idea is that women will mess you up if you still think the country is like it was in Mad Men, circa 1960 and before. Billy O didn't get it, but he still made scads of dough before his downfall, and by contract got a sweet deal during the swirling spiral into the tubes. I guess the lesson here is to get caught early, as I don't think such deals are long for the corporate world. Way too high of an overhead.

Billy O is 67, just a little younger than Trump, a little older than I am. Think I'm seeing the end of an era.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Apr 25 2017, 01:24 AM

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Apr 25 2017, 01:38 AM
Post #3

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Apr 24 2017, 12:43 PM) *

I wouldn't call it political bias but delight that a scoundrel finally got nailed.

Were you delighted when Bill Clinton (who was, after all, not just a cable news guy at the time, but, like, ... the President of the United States and stuff)... "finally got nailed"?

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Apr 25 2017, 11:34 AM
Post #4

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(akaCG @ Apr 24 2017, 09:38 PM) *

Were you delighted when Bill Clinton (who was, after all, not just a cable news guy at the time, but, like, ... the President of the United States and stuff)... "finally got nailed"?

You apparently don't know how this works -- sexual harassment in the work place and getting fired because of it. Didn't President Clinton finish out his two terms without getting fired? Yes, as a matter of fact he did. Did he force himself on female coworkers and attempt to destroy their careers if rebuked? Maybe in the minds of right-wing types, but not so much in the minds of his employers (voting public).

But that's moot because you do not understand the question or the answer that you've referenced. I was not answering for myself but interpreting why some other people have reacted strongly to Billy O getting canned.

To make things clear, I have not felt delighted that a smarmy twerp finally got nabbed, but more toward not being at all surprised, given his track record of being far too expensive to keep around. It took advertisers to put on the fatal pressure, which might have happened due to consumer pressure for them to do so.

While I find that idea interesting, I won't feel delight until it's shown to be true. I've seen one commentator express the possibility that Billy's downfall could have been a proxy for Trump's downfall, and that it could happen if consumer disinterest kills the Trump business empire. But then there's the history of consumer boycotts not doing much of anything, so no delight from that.

Come to think of it, I've felt far more delight with a new set of Fender bullets on my Strat and getting the setup right on the tremolo bridge. It really should be called a vibrato bridge, but it's still the same no matter what it's called. Tremolo changes volume; vibrato changes pitch. The Strat bridge loosens or tightens the strings while playing, thereby changing the pitch. Vibrato. Some amps do tremolo. The late great Danny Gatton used the volume knob on his Tele to do tremolo wah-wah effects. I found that to be quite delightful.

Unlike Clinton and Billy O being at all the same in any manner that matters. You know, one being the POTUS that balanced the budget (with Gingrich) and the other being the schmuck who raked in the bucks for being wrong a lot of the time but relatively harmless and unsuccessful at changing the country.

Do note that the people elected HRC, not DJT. The EC and around 70,000 (versus around 3,000,000) got that schmuck into office, and if we're lucky, he'll be relatively harmless and unsuccessful too.

So far so good.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Apr 25 2017, 11:58 AM

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Apr 25 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

I don't think anyone can have any special insight into the severity of cases like this unless they have some idea what a "case like this" is.
There's little way for any of us to know.
I've seen quite a lot of harassment cases. I've seen cases where people lied about harassment, cases where people had false memories about harassment, and cases of actual very egregious harassment.
Hard to say which one this is.

I'm usually much more suspect of high profile accusations against celebrities.
The question for me is typically "cui bono?" when there is a lack of hard evidence.
If there are a string of complaints that adds credibility, but only so much in a high profile case...because the celebrity is obviously a large target.
I don't know enough about this particularly case to speak knowledgably about his guilt.
Nor am I interested enough to invest the time it would take to properly inform myself (assuming there is enough public information available to make that possible, which I doubt).

I doubt it. His career is over, but he's old enough and rich enough to retire.

I doubt it.

Which reaction? I'm sure political bias is the motivation for each reaction (whether favorable, "Yeah! Get rid of that old creep" or unfavorable, "Hey! Keep that guy!')

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Apr 25 2017, 03:11 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Apr 28 2017, 01:34 PM
Post #6

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ Apr 25 2017, 11:01 AM) *
The question for me is typically "cui bono?" when there is a lack of hard evidence.
If there are a string of complaints that adds credibility, but only so much in a high profile case...because the celebrity is obviously a large target.
I don't know enough about this particularly case to speak knowledgably about his guilt.
Nor am I interested enough to invest the time it would take to properly inform myself (assuming there is enough public information available to make that possible, which I doubt).

Couple of things:

First, the status of celebrity has to do more than with people liking you. You also have to sell stuff, such as tickets to movies and/or concerts. Mr. O sold advertising on the Fox network. When he lost that ability, he lost his celebrity, regardless of whether his fans wanted him to stay on or his detractors wanted him gone.

The decision to fire him was therefore money, not politics. The same can be said about his rise to celebrity status.

Second, this is indeed what we know. Regarding the accusations/law suits, it all might be moot. Maybe he just got too old for selling stuff on TV. Maybe too many customers have died off. There's also a chance that consumer pressure did him in, but that I doubt.

However, lowering viewership will mean lowering ad revenue in a death spiral for fox News. We will see.

+Quote Post
net2007
post Apr 28 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #7

Millennium Mark

I know some men who got caught at it, but since that's not relevant to the question, the answer has to be no. I did know a woman who was raped by her father, but that was a quite a bit different. About the only thing similar is the attitude that women exist primarily to sexually service men. Add a stint in a Nazi POW camp to that, and out comes a warped sexual predator beyond repair.

He probably won't be able to get a paid gig due to him being let go because of sponsor backlash, so maybe he'll just live off his $25 million severance. Maybe he will write a book about how hard this is, like the former CEO of HP did. Maybe he'll run for public office like she did. Or maybe he'll write more about history, but without staff to do the grunt work for him and loss of celebrity status, probably not.

My prognostication is that he fades away into the sunset.

Since he was the most popular commentator, the odds are toward dipping. The whole news empire might be in trouble if more accusations come out about other men working there.

It is interesting that it wasn't his overly bloated salary that did it, but the cost of his escapades to the company. And that cost was only $13 million, so maybe there's something bigger in the works that actually will lead to the downfall of Fox News. If it's true that sexual harassment is throughout the corporate culture, that could be the something bigger. I suppose that women have become emboldened to come forward, and as with so many other men who have been nabbed, the problem isn't so much the behavior but the cost of getting caught that counts in corporate land.

However, the men I've known who have been caught were simply fired. Cost didn't seem to have an impact, but maybe it was the potential of cost that did.

Anyway, the idea is that women will mess you up if you still think the country is like it was in Mad Men, circa 1960 and before. Billy O didn't get it, but he still made scads of dough before his downfall, and by contract got a sweet deal during the swirling spiral into the tubes. I guess the lesson here is to get caught early, as I don't think such deals are long for the corporate world. Way too high of an overhead.

Billy O is 67, just a little younger than Trump, a little older than I am. Think I'm seeing the end of an era.

Apparently, he's already trying to stay active on some level...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bill-ore...article/2620992

Furthermore, he's saying he wants to expand this step by step, eventually getting into video broadcast and having guest.

It's not on the scale of working for Fox News but I think this is too soon regardless, he would need to come to terms with what his wrongs were if he were to make a significant and meaningful comeback and in the chance that he's innocent he'd need to clear things up to come back on a large scale. More or less I agree with you on that point, though on some level he'll go on and do what he can to keep his voice relevant. As with Trump, he's not to be underestimated whether you like him or hate him.

The way you're characterizing O'Reilly "scoundrel" is something I think is right in the sense that he shouldn't have been acting like that with his coworkers. However, I thought he was okay as a journalist. The reason for that is because as a conservative he was okay with challenging conservatives and journalist should be willing to do that if they favor one constituency over another. Sean Hannity and Rachel Maddow are the types who aren't near as willing to do that, it's all about how crappy the opposition is. This becomes a moot point when the one being objective is also guilty of sexual harassment, so in short, I don't take joy in O'Reilly's downfall here but think it was very justifiable given the circumstances.

You're not thinking political bias is involved in the position some are taking, but I couldn't disagree more on that one. Here're a couple examples of clearly bias reactions that completely miss the point of what happened....

Kyle Kulinski is a Radio Host who describes himself as a liberal and Social Democrat and is also part of The Young Turks network. His response to Bill O'Reilly getting fired touches on the case at hand some, but it comes with completely off topic rants about how he opposes O'Reilly on political issues, more or less explaining why he thinks O'Reilly's political views are ridiculous. When watching this I ask myself what the Iraq War has to do with women being mistreated, and whether or not his longtime opposition and scrutiny of O'Reilly has influenced his opinion here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRayWMSb5o

This one is much worse...

Former MSNBC and TYT host Cenk Uygur did an entire segment where he gloated and went as far as to brag about how his show has outlasted the O'Reilly Factor. Again I ask, what does that have to do with the women who were affected in this case? He seemed more excited than upset, is he glad that this happened because it helps him promote his message?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ladxq_G12t8

Social Media is also littered with similar types of commenting, the typical (ha ha look what happened!) type of stuff that you see when an opposing party loses an election and people spew out comments that come from an internal dislike or hatred of another group. When things like this happen concern is understandable and criticism is needed but I think that those responses should happen for the right reasons. In this case, given who O'Reilly is I think in some cases the critical reactions are coming from somewhere other than a concern over woman's right.

Also, If a conservative believes O'Reilly is guilty and (as an example) also believes someone like Bill Clinton was guilty, yet defends O'Reilly and criticizes Clinton, then they're likely part of the problem with bias in America. Although as of now, I'm not reading about many people who say he's guilty who are also suggesting that what he did doesn't concern them.

Mrs. Pigpen

I don't think anyone can have any special insight into the severity of cases like this unless they have some idea what a "case like this" is.
There's little way for any of us to know.
I've seen quite a lot of harassment cases. I've seen cases where people lied about harassment, cases where people had false memories about harassment, and cases of actual very egregious harassment.
Hard to say which one this is.

I understand, as with a controversial police brutality case where a civilian dies and there's conflicting evidence as to whether or not the person was dangerous, exercising caution when developing an opinion is smart. In cases like that I tell myself that I wasn't there to see exactly how it went down so consider the possibility I could be wrong.

For me, this one is a little more clear than some of those types of cases. Along with woman's testimonies, there is a great deal of foreshadowing which I take notice of.....

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017...-audiobook.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Who_Trespass

By no means is this proof but he wrote a book with pornographic scenes which included a character (a journalist) who would commit violent acts against those who would threaten his career. I'd rather not read the book to see the full context, but enough sources confirm that the book is pretty vile and ironically relevant in the sense that he's okay with saying things that are offensive towards women and has depicted a character who has reason to fear losing his career.

It's complicated though, there are those who have been out to get O'Reilly for political purposes. Conservative anchors and analyst are routinely targeted by left wing fanatics and those who would gain from the downfall of any prominent conservative.

If you want to know what a case like this is, lets assume (for the sake of argument) that the allegations are true. As a woman what do you feel the proper response should have been and how damaging is this to the workplace?

This post has been edited by net2007: Apr 28 2017, 06:53 PM

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Apr 29 2017, 01:10 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

QUOTE(net2007 @ Apr 28 2017, 01:44 PM) *
For me, this one is a little more clear than some of those types of cases. Along with woman's testimonies, there is a great deal of foreshadowing which I take notice of.....

By no means is this proof but he wrote a book with pornographic scenes which included a character (a journalist) who would commit violent acts against those who would threaten his career. I'd rather not read the book to see the full context, but enough sources confirm that the book is pretty vile and ironically relevant in the sense that he's okay with saying things that are offensive towards women and has depicted a character who has reason to fear losing his career.

Careful, Net. Look at the image you have chosen for your gravatar here. Are you anything like that character? How often do authors of fiction imitate their characters, I wonder? I don’t know the statistics, but I’m pretty sure (outside of Basic Instinct fiction land) there is little if any parallel between authoring a book about murders and being a murderer…likewise with other crimes.

That said, there are some celebrities I can't stand and don't think they are good people. O'Reilly is one of them. He comes across as a smug douche canoe to me. Mel Gibson is another celebrity I don't like much. I liked Bill Cosby a lot and he was apparently an offender. In my response above regarding celebrities I actually had Cosby in mind.
On that note, what is up with "Bills"? Clinton, Cosby, O'Reilly, and I just watched the "Sex Junk" Bill Nye video and feel lobotomized after that. Wow was that creepy. Watching him jam to that was like watching Orville Redenbacher huff a can of spray paint and dance at a rave. "Science" guy didn't just jump the shark, he jumped a Sharknado. His personal character and judgement is forever tainted in my mind. So, in a similar vein if I see a celebrity in action doing something that supports the charge narrative (Mel Gibson's history with the law, for example) I'm more inclined to believe the charges. If someone accused Nye of something now I would now be inclined to believe it, though I liked him before this video**. I'm less inclined to believe a person is guilty for simply coming across as smug and unlikeable.

It's complicated though, there are those who have been out to get O'Reilly for political purposes. Conservative anchors and analyst are routinely targeted by left wing fanatics and those who would gain from the downfall of any prominent conservative.

I agree.

If you want to know what a case like this is, lets assume (for the sake of argument) that the allegations are true. As a woman what do you feel the proper response should have been and how damaging is this to the workplace?

It would be very difficult to work in that type of environment. I wouldn't do well in the entertainment industry at all, for that reason. The whole thing seems very seedy and shallow with a lot of unpleasant people. If I had a similar problem in a military environment I would file an IG (Inspector General) complaint. Not sure how it works in the entertainment industry….I’m assuming one would go to the supervisor, and then up and up the chain. I'd try to gather evidence before making the charge. If I truly thought said person was dangerous I wouldn’t settle for a sum of money to keep my mouth shut I'd continue to press with the charges until I saw some result.

**I am inclined to not believe the charges against Bill Cosby, because he always came across as a nice family man with a good sense of humor, the charges are very old, and there doesn't seem to be hard evidence that I am aware of. But if he'd shown a video of Fat Albert that went something like, "Hey hey hey it's fat Albert, And I'm gonna sing a song for you...and it's gonna have some butt stuff too..."
I'd think differently. That is essentially what Nye just did. Good grief we live in strange times. ermm.gif

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Apr 29 2017, 03:01 PM

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Apr 29 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative

<off-topic>

QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ Apr 29 2017, 09:10 AM) *
... I just watched the "Sex Junk" Bill Nye video and feel lobotomized after that. Wow was that creepy. Watching him jam to that was like watching Orville Redenbacher huff a can of spray paint and dance at a rave. "Science" guy didn't just jump the shark, he jumped a Sharknado. His personal character and judgement is forever tainted in my mind. ...

The following, I'm afraid, are quite unlikely to help change your assessment thereof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlk4Lt__Sn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHmtn6gAioQ

And, last but most definitely not least, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR4KP6I--eY

</off-topic>

+Quote Post
net2007
post May 2 2017, 03:20 PM
Post #10

Millennium Mark

QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ Apr 29 2017, 09:10 AM) *
QUOTE(net2007 @ Apr 28 2017, 01:44 PM) *

Careful, Net. Look at the image you have chosen for your gravatar here. Are you anything like that character? How often do authors of fiction imitate their characters, I wonder? I don't know the statistics, but I'm pretty sure (outside of Basic Instinct fiction land) there is little if any parallel between authoring a book about murders and being a murderer likewise with other crimes.

That said, there are some celebrities I can't stand and don't think they are good people. O'Reilly is one of them. He comes across as a smug douche canoe to me. Mel Gibson is another celebrity I don't like much. I liked Bill Cosby a lot and he was apparently an offender. In my response above regarding celebrities I actually had Cosby in mind.
On that note, what is up with "Bills"? Clinton, Cosby, O'Reilly, and I just watched the "Sex Junk" Bill Nye video and feel lobotomized after that. Wow was that creepy. Watching him jam to that was like watching Orville Redenbacher huff a can of spray paint and dance at a rave. "Science" guy didn't just jump the shark, he jumped a Sharknado. His personal character and judgement is forever tainted in my mind. So, in a similar vein if I see a celebrity in action doing something that supports the charge narrative (Mel Gibson's history with the law, for example) I'm more inclined to believe the charges. If someone accused Nye of something now I would now be inclined to believe it, though I liked him before this video**. I'm less inclined to believe a person is guilty for simply coming across as smug and unlikeable.

I agree.

It would be very difficult to work in that type of environment. I wouldn't do well in the entertainment industry at all, for that reason. The whole thing seems very seedy and shallow with a lot of unpleasant people. If I had a similar problem in a military environment I would file an IG (Inspector General) complaint. Not sure how it works in the entertainment industry….I’m assuming one would go to the supervisor, and then up and up the chain. I'd try to gather evidence before making the charge. If I truly thought said person was dangerous I wouldn’t settle for a sum of money to keep my mouth shut I'd continue to press with the charges until I saw some result.

**I am inclined to not believe the charges against Bill Cosby, because he always came across as a nice family man with a good sense of humor, the charges are very old, and there doesn't seem to be hard evidence that I am aware of. But if he'd shown a video of Fat Albert that went something like, "Hey hey hey it's fat Albert, And I'm gonna sing a song for you...and it's gonna have some butt stuff too..."
I'd think differently. That is essentially what Nye just did. Good grief we live in strange times. ermm.gif

"Careful, Net. Look at the image you have chosen for your gravatar here. Are you anything like that character? How often do authors of fiction imitate their characters, I wonder? I don’t know the statistics, but I’m pretty sure (outside of Basic Instinct fiction land) there is little if any parallel between authoring a book about murders and being a murderer…likewise with other crimes."

My AD Avatar? That would be a picture of me tongue.gif

I understand completely though, I wanted to state first and foremost that the book isn't proof of guilt. Given the fact that this is not the type of case that will likely go to court to have forensic evidence that backs a guilty verdict, I'm going with my best judgment on this. Cumulative knowledge is what I'm going on here, where each piece of substantiation makes up a piece of the puzzle.

First and foremost there are the multiple testimonies which I agree could be suspect given who he is. The fact that this has been a reoccurring thing doesn't help his case, if it had been an isolated incident I think sabotage would have been more believable. Although (as hinted at earlier) it's important to point out that liberals sometimes do go for the jugular of prominent conservatives and play dirty while doing it. O'Reilly has had to deal with this in a number of ways whether or not he's guilty of sexual harassment, so if I were to look at this logically I'd say multiple women complaining about his behavior over the years is concerning and adds a piece to an incomplete puzzle.

Additionally, I consider that the Murdochs were willing to let go of their golden goose after the internal investigation. As everyone knows O'Reilly has been crucial to The Fox News Network so there had to be a very good reason for their decision. That "good reason" could have been solely a concern over losing advertisers and maintaining the image of Fox News, but I'm confident that he would have maintained loyal viewers and maintained his ratings. O'Reilly has weathered a lot of scrutiny so my gut tells me that there's something more to it.

O'Reilly's character is also one where he's been okay with openly insulting others, that's common knowledge and works against him further. The PC culture has a habit of making mountains out of molehills and there are those who have sensationalized much of what he's said, but when I look at all of this together. His temperament, the testimonies, prior comments he's made, and interesting reveals such as an eerily relevant book he wrote, I came to the realization that to believe he's innocent takes a greater leap of faith than believing he's guilty. To believe he's guilty I only have to dismiss what O'Reilly says, to believe he's innocent I have to dismiss much more, if that makes sense.

I agree with you on Bill Cosby, personally, I liked him growing up so it was hard to get my head around the allegations against him. Also, Bill Nye The Science Guy? (Not Again dry.gif), I wasn't aware of this video but have already had a change of heart on him. I watched him a lot growing up and then found out how intollerant he is of conservative opinions. He's extremely liberal, which is fine but when it comes with the divisive attitude that so many liberal celebrities push, that kind of thing splits their audience along ideological lines. I knew and liked him as Bill Nye The Science Guy, not Bill Nye the PC hack bringing us junk jams. The entertainment industry has become crazy indeed!

This post has been edited by net2007: May 2 2017, 09:39 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: May 27th, 2018 - 05:24 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.