logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> What are you currently listening to?, Song-wise, that is
akaCG
post Feb 14 2011, 04:33 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

As of the last two days or so, I've been bewitched, bothered, and bewildered by Fiona Apple's version of "Why Try To Change Me Now?". I'm almost pretty sure that I'm almost ready to decide that I almost like her version of it better than Frank Sinatra's.

Aw, heck. Enough pussyfooting. 'Far as I'm concerned, hers blows Frank's version away.

So, without further ados, ...

Here she is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uf1n1wUfxE

Anyways, ...

Question(s):

Have you been "obsessing" about any songs lately? If so, care to share?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
moif
post Feb 14 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #2

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: None

I never stop obsessing about music. There is always a track thats playing in the back of my head , often I stick them in my signiture but thats only when I'm obsessing about it as I write a post. Today I'm currently obsessing over a techno remix of Ghostbusters, I particularly like the middle bit from circa 1:05.

I'm also rather dippy about some really cheap, but very jolly remakes of old 1980's hits by a German team known as Novaspace. The originality is mediocre, but the speed and energy is brilliant and this stuff just makes me want to dance. Beds are burning & Dancing with tears in my eyes.

Its not all techno however, yesterday evening I was floating on waves of sound as I listened to Carver's 'The Minotaur'

+Quote Post
Julian
post Feb 14 2011, 01:42 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

Just lately I've been most keen on the recent album releases by:
Skunk Anansie, particularly the opening track Your God Loves Only You and Over the Love
Irish Rockabilly revivalist Imelda May; particularly the internet-only remix of the track Inside Out on her new ablum Mayhem
Paloma Faith, particularly the tracks New York (Radio Edit) and Upside Down, which has a ridiculously catchy sampled intro.

Typing them out like that, I notice they're all female vocalists. I can't remember the last time my earworm of choice came from a male-fronted band - it was probably the track Kingdom of Rust by Doves two years ago

This post has been edited by Julian: Feb 14 2011, 01:45 PM

+Quote Post
lo rez
post Feb 14 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #4

Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,616

Janelle Monae is topping my list right now. This one's called Tightrope.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Feb 14 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative

My favorite band is Social Distortion. Lately I've been listening to their latest release. Mike Ness remains awesome. I can't believe how long they've been around, and they're still doing tours.

+Quote Post
BoF
post Feb 14 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

Party affiliation: Democrat

I have about 900 LPs. Over thr past 12 years I have ben digitizing them in a program called DART.
http://www.dartpro.com/index.html

Recently I've completely restored LPs by Jimmy Reed (one of his Bluesway efforts “Soulin’” and as far as I can tell one that hasn’t appeared on commercial CD) and Howard Roberts's "Guilty."

Last week I restored an early of Roomful of Blues effort simply called "Roomful of Blues," and this week I'll be finishing another early RoB album, "Hot Little Mama."

The late Porky Cohn, my favorite trombone player, was on the second LP.

Restoring a song makes it necessary to listen to a song at least twice - once while recording and again after running the restoration tools. I usually listen to all the songs again in the car, after burning them to CD.

So, I’m always obsessed with whatever I’m working on in DART.

This post has been edited by BoF: Feb 14 2011, 03:25 PM

+Quote Post
entspeak
post Feb 14 2011, 04:36 PM
Post #7

Mammal

Sponsor
May 2007

Member No.: 2,568

Politics: Independent

My most recent music purchase is a remake of The Psychedelic Furs "Ghost in You" by Matthew Puckett - trying to figure it out on guitar.

Most of the music I listen to is somewhat electronic in nature and I'm a huge fan of remixes and remixing (a hobby).

I love this remix of Silversun Pickups "Lazy Eye" as well as this remix Trent Reznor did of his own "The Frail" - should I ever direct Shakespeare's The Tempest, this will be the opening song.

I am also listening to:

Sigur Rós

Peter Fox and Seeed

Stars

Ray Montagne

Yann Tiersen

Mumford and Sons.

+Quote Post
pheeler
post Feb 14 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #8

Professional Chem Nerd

Sponsor
October 2003

Member No.: 925

Politics: Slightly Liberal

As far as new music goes, Come Around Sundown by Kings of Leon is a better album than the one that got the Grammy. I especially love the song Pony Up. The singer's voice is so perfectly hoarse and soulful to contrast the almost prog instrumental. The Immortals is another noteworthy song.

I'm always obsessed with a Zeppelin riff, right now it's Heartbreaker. I'll learn the rhythm part, try the solo and give up as usual I predict.

+Quote Post
quarkhead
post Feb 15 2011, 06:14 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Original Sufferhead

Sponsor
February 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 328

Politics: Very Liberal

Well right now I'm in the final tracking stage of my next release, to be titled Division Street. So I'm listening to my own tracks rather a lot right now. As I get to the mixing stage, I will throw on some reference material, chosen not for its place in my musical pantheon, but for its engineering brilliance. Aja by Steely Dan is a perfect record for referencing mixes, it's almost perfectly recorded and mixed.

Some of the material for my album is available for listening - with songs in various stages of completion - here.

I'm excited tonight because I just found out one of my songs is being considered for placement in a reality TV show - I don't know which one, but could be an opportunity for some royalties! I just hope it's not one of those bottom-of-the-barrel shows. Oh, who am I kidding, aren't they all? But hey, if it gets my music out there, I don't mind!

As far as other artists, there are a few I've been listening to more than others:

Tinariwen - these guys are simply awesome.

Devotchka - from Colorado, their music was in Little Miss Sunshine and in Gears of War II

Anais Mitchell - great acoustic guitarist, wonderful songwriter, she's just awesome. Great lyrics.

Brother Ali - this guy has an outrageous flow.

Joanna Newsom - Amazing harpist, songwriter - she's the whole package.

+Quote Post
Belshazzar
post Feb 15 2011, 06:27 AM
Post #10

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 11,406

QUOTE(quarkhead @ Feb 15 2011, 01:14 AM) *
Joanna Newsom - Amazing harpist, songwriter - she's the whole package.

I have a love/hate thing with her. I think I could get into Newsom if her voice didn't sound like the lovechild of Bjork and Bob Dylan getting run over by an 18-wheeler. BTW, the Fela avatar is awesome. Water No Get Enemy and Roforofo Fight are two of my favorites.

I am still obsessed with the Chicago Underground Duo right now.

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Feb 2 2012, 11:13 PM
Post #11

Sponsor
August 2012

In another thread, I made a recommendation to "kmsouthern", to check out the musical film "Latcho Drom".

I thought I'd include some YouTube selections therefrom in this thread, for anyone interested.

Starting with my favorite, ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teKeUmQC2dI

... following with ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SbnIO4fcCI

... and, finally, one especially for "kmsouthern":

"A Train Stop in Hungary"

Enjoy.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Feb 2 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #12

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

What am I currently listening to?

I am sitting in the church office, listening to the choir rehearse. (No way to link that I am aware of...)

As usual when I first sit down at a computer, I turned the speakers off so that I would not have to listen to the Microsoft version of "We're in the money." every time the screen changes...

+Quote Post
BoF
post Feb 3 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #13

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Feb 2 2012, 05:24 PM) *
What am I currently listening to?

I am sitting in the church office, listening to the choir rehearse. (No way to link that I am aware of...)

As usual when I first sit down at a computer, I turned the speakers off so that I would not have to listen to the Microsoft version of "We're in the money." every time the screen changes...

It seems you prefer “The Sound of Silence.” laugh.gif

Here is how you turn Windows sounds off.

+Quote Post
moif
post Feb 3 2012, 01:41 AM
Post #14

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

Politics: Undisclosed

I am currently listening to...

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Feb 3 2012, 06:11 AM
Post #15

Sponsor
August 2012

"Thank you" for your "contribution" to this thread, "Curmudgeon".

You were listening to a church choir while you wrote that?

Hmmm ...

QUOTE(moif @ Feb 2 2012, 08:41 PM) *
I am currently listening to...

Etta girl!

smile.gif

That was a nice one, "moif".

This post has been edited by akaCG: Feb 3 2012, 06:13 AM

+Quote Post
entspeak
post Feb 3 2012, 06:16 AM
Post #16

Mammal

Sponsor
May 2007

Member No.: 2,568

Currently listening to Innerpartysystem.

This post has been edited by entspeak: Feb 3 2012, 06:16 AM

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Feb 3 2012, 06:54 AM
Post #17

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(akaCG @ Feb 3 2012, 01:11 AM) *
"Thank you" for your "contribution" to this thread, "Curmudgeon".

You were listening to a church choir while you wrote that?

Hmmm ...

Curmudgeon was listening to our church choir, in which I sing. The choir was practicing as we always do on Thursday evenings. We were singing one of the many renditions of "Gloria In Excelsis Deo" as he was using the church's computer. It's an old church, and sound carries.

We are clearly home now. It's nearly 2 a.m. When I listen to music, I like traditional stuff, mostly songs with a Celtic flavor, or a Simon & Garfunkel song, like "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7aUNZQVpQ

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Feb 3 2012, 07:06 AM

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Feb 3 2012, 07:52 AM
Post #18

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

QUOTE(BoF @ Feb 2 2012, 07:29 PM) *
It seems you prefer "The Sound of Silence." laugh.gif

Here is how you turn Windows sounds off.

Thanks, I may look up the directions someday and follow through, but at the moment we have five computers at home that are shared by three people, and three computers at church that are shared by about 40 people.

When I was first trained on how to operate a factory with computers in 1974, they were industrial computers which used the 60 cycle AC power supply as a "clock" that enabled the program to restart once per second. It was a decade later that I purchased a Commodore 64 for one of my daughters, and another half dozen years before I purchased a "functional" home computer. That computer, and every one that I have owned since, came with speakers. My family has learned to turn the sound back on if I have been using a computer...

By the time I retired, I had done the hard wiring on many computers as we built a worldwide control network. Later, as a maintenance man, I checked out the wiring loops on numerous computers installed by "outside contractors."

On the job, I was trained to listen to the sounds of the factory and notice when something stopped. If I need an alarm clock to wake me up, I set the television to turn off when I need to wake up.

The last time that I had my hearing tested was likely 15 years ago, and I had suffered over a 50% hearing loss. It annoys me when I am playing Freecell or Sudoku and every mouse click or key stroke is accompanied by a random uninformative noise. I was harassed on the job for over thirty years by people who enjoyed seeing me jump when they spoke to me from behind me.

When I retired, I suffered a series of brain seizures...

About once a month, I will plug in the speakers on my computer, turn on the volume, and listen to A Prairie Home Companion rerun.

If I am checking my bank balance, reconciling the budget, or posting to America's Debate, the constant click of the keyboard is more than enough sound to keep me awake.

I am fortunate enough to be married to a young woman whose voice I have often described as being so soothing to me, that it feels like fingers untying the knots in my brain as it gently strokes my nerves. When I hear her sing, her voice strikes me as what I would want an angel to sound like.

Over a lifetime, I owned about three records, but never purchased a record player. I have a couple of CD's, and I listened to both of them at least once. When the remote for the DVD player got misplaced a couple weeks back, I tried to play the movies on one of my computers. I usually have two monitors turned on at a time if I am at home. I found that watching a movie locked the mouse on the screen that was showing the movie as if I would not be trying to multi-task while I watched a movie. It was a Charlie Chan movie that was playing in Chinese with Chinese subtitles... As I gave up and returned the video, I realized just how much I expect a computer to do real work for me rather than entertain me.

The television is playing behind me, and I watch the moving picture about as frequently as I watched the vibrating speaker on Dad's radio as a child...

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Feb 3 2012, 07:59 AM

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Feb 3 2012, 08:25 AM
Post #19

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 927

Party affiliation: Other

http://www.nativefm.com/

When you live "on da big Island"- it's all you got really.

+Quote Post
kmsouthern
post Feb 3 2012, 03:40 PM
Post #20

Nerd Goddess Extraordinaire

Sponsor
July 2005

Member No.: 885

Politics: Very Liberal

I'm teaching a dance funk class in just under an hour, so I'm listening to my playlist and jammin'. Got a little Isley Brothers (Shout), More Bounce to the Ounce for my Soul Train line at the end of class, Atomic Dog, and some non-funk songs spanning 50s to today (gotta throw in stuff to reach all audiences)!

Since I teach Zumba now, I tend to listen to a lot of Latin rhythms (cumbia, bachata, merengue, salsa...) more frequently than anything else. I'm a music lover, so I'll listen to just about anything (techno and hard core metal/rock is about the only things I don't like at least somewhat), but I'm an old soul when it comes to my favorites: Michael Jackson, Motown and smooth R&B, with a little bit of early 90s intellectual hip-hop/rap...oh and musicals smile.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: June 23rd, 2018 - 02:53 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.