logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> Dick Cheney vs Sandy Berger, Which one's more newsworthy?
Which is more newsworthy - Dick Cheney's careless shot, or Sandy Berger's unauthorized destruction of sensitive documents?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 24
Guests cannot vote 
Blackstone
post Feb 15 2006, 05:03 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,539

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Independent

As I was watching the news and looking at the paper today and seeing how the media are treating Cheney's accidental shooting of a fellow hunter as though it were a Major World Event, my mind lapsed back to the little incident where Sandy Berger had visited the National Archives with his top-secret security clearance, and subsequently piflered and destroyed some very important documents relating to the War on Terror, and then got nothing more than a slap on the wrist, and never gave any kind of explanation for doing it. And I thought how funny it was that an event of such magnitude was just kinda swept under the rug by the media.

So the question I have for debate is simple:

Which incident is more deserving of the media's attention, Cheney's accidental shooting of a hunting buddy, or Sandy Berger's unexplained and virtually unpunished destruction of these classified documents?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 22)
lordhelmet
post Feb 16 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #21

Millennium Mark

Sponsor
June 2005

Group: BANNED
Member No.: 4,185

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Private

QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Feb 16 2006, 11:15 AM)

Lordhelmet: Your link is interesting, especially since it says the CIA "outed" Plame to the Cubans. Now why would they do that?

And if it wasn't a crime to out Valerie Plame, then why didn't somebody in the Adminstration just come forward and say that s/he did it? As you pointed out, it cost the American people a lot of money to conduct Fitzgerald's investigation.

As far as Joe Wilson lying to the 9/11 Commission--I possess a copy of the report. I will have to look up Wilson's testimony to determine just exactly he is said to have lied about.
------------------------------------------

But back to the subject of the newsworthiness of Sandy Berger's behavior and Dick Cheney's:

Sandy Berger was not prosecuted for what he did. He came clean about it.

Dick Cheney and his Secret Service contingent did not tell the deputy sheriff what happened when initially questioned--which makes it look as though Cheney had something to hide.

Further, Cheney is a secretive person. I am sure that this intrigues the news media who feel that there must be something interesting and important that he's not telling.

If there is nothing for which Cheney is actually culpable, then it is the clumsy way he handled the situation that raised the red flags in the media and gave us nearly non-stop coverage of what you characterize as a non-issue. White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan certainly said as much, and he is most certainly NOT a Democrat.

But then...Do any of us really "know Dick"? tongue.gif

Berger was not prosecuted? He plead GUILTY!

Berger pleads guilty, Washington Post

Cheney did nothing wrong according to the police.

He's a secretive person? Good. We're at war. We don't need a blabbermouth VP at this time in our history. Furthermore, the role of the VP is to stay in the background that's why the press hammering for not having "more press conferences" is insane.

We have a President. Cheney is his backup and works behind the scenes primarily.

That's the way it should be.

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Feb 16 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #22

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 721

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Okay, my bad. blush.gif I must've had him mixed up with somebody else. I looked up the sentencing of Berger after you provided the link. Seems he was ordered to pay $50 grand as punishment, plus community service and additional costs. September 8, 2005 link

Berger must perform 100 hours of community service and pay the fine as well as $6,905 for the administrative costs of his two-year probation, a district court judge ruled.

From Wikipedia, link
On April 1, 2005, in connection with the documents investigation, Berger pled guilty to a misdemeanor charge of unauthorized removal and retention of classified material.

So he was found guilty of a misdemeanor.

But really, the fact that I didn't know what happened to the guy, and I'm usually an avid watcher of CNN, tells me that the press didn't regard it as such a big story; hence my assertion that the Veep story is bigger, at least now.

You're right--Cheney should probably stay in the background and not give so many press conferences--especially since the last few times he contradicted what his boss said, especially about the Iraqi insurgency being in its "last throes."

I stand by my opinion that Cheney's story is bigger. After all, somebody did get seriously hurt, there was an initial lack of cooperation with jursidictional law enforcement officials, and he is the Vice President.

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Feb 16 2006, 10:12 PM

+Quote Post
Dontreadonme
post Feb 17 2006, 03:46 AM
Post #23

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 359

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Libertarian

Due to the difficulty of maintaining focus on a subject such as this, we are moving this topic to Casual Conversation.
Carry on. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: December 4th, 2021 - 08:55 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.