logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> Your handle: What's the story?, some interesting names in here
lordhelmet
post Mar 9 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Millennium Mark

Sponsor
June 2005

Group: BANNED
Member No.: 4,185

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Private

IPB Image

I thought it would be interesting to ask the membership how you came up with your "handle" or nickname for America's Debate.

Does anyone care to share why you selected the name that you selected?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Amlord
post Mar 9 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 572

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

As mine has been the source of much confusion...

My handle is my initials A M L

My last name begins with Lor

That gives us AMLor The "d" makes it make a bit of sense.

Hence AMLord.

It is lost in antiquity why I did not capitalize each of the A M and L and only capitalized the A.

My handle should be A. M. Lord.

Which is ironic since I am certainly NOT a morning person...

My avatar, the lion, is because I am a Leo (astrologically). Sometimes I even act like one... whistling.gif

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Mar 9 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

I'm a freelance writer when between tech gigs and play guitar on the streets of Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City during the warm months. Let's just say that I would not have selected this career path voluntarily, but you do what you can to bring in the bucks. It's more fun than greeting people at Wal*Mart.

I've got two books published, both nonfiction. I'm in the last stages of my first fiction work and will be going through the agent->publisher route that I avoided for the first couple of attempts. The technical book sold a lot better than the second nonfiction, but eh, yah live and yah learn. I want the fiction book to bring in significant moolah.

If the tech gigs are still scarce around here this spring/summer/fall, I'll be shakin the bushes for small venue wallpaper music gigs. Not sure where this will go. Tried the music biz in the 80s and got sick of it all, but now I'm older, wiser and better, not necessarily faster. Been working on a CD for the gigs.

Anyway, if anyone here has a bug up the rear to get published, I suggest the following blog for the real skinny on agents and publishers, plus practical advice on how to approach writing and making queries:

Miss Snark's Literary Agent Blog

Bottom line: Had to change and the handle reflects this transition that's a work in progress.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Mar 9 2006, 02:00 PM

+Quote Post
moif
post Mar 9 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #4

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

Party affiliation: None

So, one day my (then new) GF and I were standing by a traffic light and waiting for the green man and making funny noises at each other. One of these noises was the sound 'moif' which we found so funny that we kept repeating it to each other all day long... then all week, all month, all year.
With time, the noise came to mean the other person, and so my GF and I still, 13 years later, refer to each other as 'moif'.

The word has no real meaning but could be seen as a mutation of the word 'mouse' (in Danish, mus).

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Doclotus
post Mar 9 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #5

Stirred, not shaken

Sponsor
April 2004

Member No.: 2,898

Politics: Slightly Liberal

QUOTE(Amlord @ Mar 9 2006, 08:30 AM)
Which is ironic since I am certainly NOT a morning person...

Heh, I thought it was because you were an AM radio junkie smile.gif

+Quote Post
lordhelmet
post Mar 9 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Millennium Mark

Sponsor
June 2005

QUOTE(lordhelmet @ Mar 9 2006, 07:57 AM)

I thought it would be interesting to ask the membership how you came up with your "handle" or nickname for America's Debate.

I was looking for a name that would be appropriate given the fact that I can (sometimes) be pretty aggressive on line. Darth Vader didn't hack it. But, the spoof of Darth Vader in the Mel Brooks classic movie "Spaceballs" was perfect.

Here you have a guy that initially presents the image of Vader in the movie and then is quickly revealed to be the vertically challenged actor Rick Moranis who, during the movie, plays with his toys and cracks jokes while periodically playing the role of the "heavy".

Some of the lines from that flick involving Lord Dark Helmet are here:

Spaceballs Quotes

The "Lord Dark Helmet" character that Moranis plays is a classic in my opinion. It's right up there with his Doug McKenzie persona.

Take off, eh!

So now, you know the rest of the story. Good daY!

+Quote Post
Billy Jean
post Mar 9 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #7

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 805

Politics: Independent

Billy Jean is NOT your lover! w00t.gif

I'm a drag king-male impersonator. For eight years I was exclusively a Michael Jackson impersonator and so the name is obvious, Except I spell Billy with a "y" instead of an "ie". It's the more masculine. Billy Jean has been my stage name, my alter ego for over 11 years of being on stage. Alot of people wouldn't know who the heck Denise is. I love Michael Jackson, I think he has issues, who doesn't, but his talent and influence is undeniable. thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by Billy Jean: Mar 9 2006, 03:13 PM

+Quote Post
Lesly
post Mar 9 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #8

'Bryos before Hoes!

Sponsor
May 2004

Member No.: 2,838

Suffering from a severe case of writer’s block, a lack of idle time after work hours and the capricious removal of access to websites @ work, this is one quick and easy response I can put together at the moment. =\

Lesly’s the name. Everyone gets it wrong. Lesley. Leslie. Leslye. Even my own father spells it wrong. He writes it Lezly.

I take the following story with a grain of salt. My mother is given to exaggerating truth and fiction. According to her, she liked Lesley and wanted to use it but removed the second e for fear that the government would reject it altogether as sounding too American.

I read somewhere that the name has Dutch origins and means vined castle. I prefer this story but use the former to help people remember the correct spelling.

This post has been edited by Lesly: Mar 9 2006, 04:05 PM

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Mar 9 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

Pigpen is my husband's callsign.

I'm often called Mrs. Pigpen in the real world, too. online2long.gif When he was 'hitman' I was the 'hit chick', which was a lot cooler. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Vibiana
post Mar 9 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #10

Century Mark

Member No.: 5,011

Politics: Moderate

I used to be Catholic. I chose Vibiana as a screen name because she is the patron saint of single laywomen (which I am) and the mentally ill (which I am not, at least, I don't THINK I am. mrsparkle.gif )

+Quote Post
Doclotus
post Mar 9 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #11

Stirred, not shaken

Sponsor
April 2004

Member No.: 2,898

Politics: Slightly Liberal

Doclotus has been my nome de plume on the Internet since 1994. It is a bit of a double entendre but only really in my world.

Early in my IT career I did break-fix workstation grunt work for a real estate firm. I was pretty good at what I did, so most of the people that I helped started calling me Doc. My glasses at the time likely were the inspiration I suppose as I kind of looked like Anthony Edwards character on ER back then.

When I started playing around more on the internet, I decided I wanted to create a moniker that would be unique enough that it was unlikley to be duplicated. I played with a bunch of different names but nothing stuck. Then I toyed with the idea of combining my nickname with the technology I worked most with at the time (Lotus Notes), and the name doclotus was born. Apparently I guessed well, because I can only recall one time where I saw the name being used by anyone else.

It was also a convenient name in my early gaming days as I tended to play monks a lot, so doclotus kind of fit well.

Not terribly interesting, I know, but that's where it came from smile.gif

+Quote Post
Yogurt
post Mar 9 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #12

Century Mark

Member No.: 5,162

Likewise the Spaceballs theme. It's also been my handle for years in MMROPGs
Yogs

+Quote Post
niftydrifty
post Mar 9 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #13

Century Mark

Member No.: 4,177

QUOTE(lordhelmet)

Around 5 years ago, I was in a band for about 6 months that was having a hard time selecting a name. Actually, the band was having a hard time doing anything. But anyhow, one day, while discussing names, the songwriter in the band blurted out "Nifty Drifty! What about Nifty Drifty?" Knowing this guy, the way he was, and the way he said it, it was so random, I just thought it was hilarious. It was (and is) a terrible band name. Most in the band hated it. but I and he began to refer to the band as "Nifty Drifty," anyway. And then I wrote "The Nifty Drifty Theme." The naysayers hated this, too. These events killed that band, pretty much. Oh well.

But the name lives on. Long live the name.

This post has been edited by niftydrifty: Mar 10 2006, 02:00 AM

+Quote Post
crashfourit
post Mar 9 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #14

Admin of other Sites

Sponsor
June 2006

Member No.: 2,885

Mine is crashfourit (pronounced with an English pronunciation: crash "for" it). I was originally crashit4 but I changed it to what it is currently because one sight did not like numbers in a screen name. dry.gif I made my original screen name when I crash a motherboard, operating system (accidentally by doing a defrag and lost two weeks of school work while at it sad.gif ) and a few other computer related items. Since then I crashed another motherboard, burned up a CDROM, and accidentally crashed my car in a culvert parallel to the road on the right side. wacko.gif blink.gif

My newer version plays with English homonyms (four/for) so it could be said like a command, "Crash for it!" (kind of like "Go for it!" but catchier thumbsup.gif ).

+Quote Post
lordhelmet
post Mar 9 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #15

Millennium Mark

Sponsor
June 2005

QUOTE(Yogurt @ Mar 9 2006, 12:41 PM)

Likewise the Spaceballs theme. It's also been my handle for years in MMROPGs
Yogs

May the Schwartz be with you, Yogurt!

Make sure you keep up with that merchandising, merchandising, merchandising!

+Quote Post
Ultimatejoe
post Mar 9 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Studley Do-Right

Member No.: 497

Party affiliation: Other

Just to make it clear to everyone, my name came from a girl named Bryn who I knew in residence during my first year of university. She gave me all sorts of nicknames (feeling Joe) was too boring based on my "irregular" personality. I've been "Blue-haired Joe," "Shoeless Joe," and lastly "Ultimate Joe" because I'm an avid Ultimate Frisbee player.

It is NOT a vanity issue.

+Quote Post
Amlord
post Mar 9 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Member No.: 572

When I was introduced to the sport in college (early '90s) it was Ultimate Disc.

Frisbee was a term that was severely frowned upon...

By the way, we had a horrible team, the Disc I's (or was it the Disc Guys, or the Disguise?). hmmm.gif Those days are gone forever...

+Quote Post
Fife and Drum
post Mar 9 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #18

Senior Contributor

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 2,098

Politics: Slightly Conservative

QUOTE(UltimateJoe)
Ultimate Frisbee player.

Most excellent game.

I’ve been tagged with the Fife and Drum moniker, or close variants, on a few occasions.

Junior year of High School our soccer team was in a heated battle for district. In a qualifier the week before I had been intentionally kicked in the back of my knee by a goon and it was bandaged up. In the first half of this game I had gone up for a header and knocked heads leaving a wound that should have been stitched. We came into the locker room down 2 - nil and I was whisked off to get my head bandaged.

I came limping into the locker room with the rest of the team, bandaged from head to toe, blood every where and as captain gave my “troop rousing” speech and continued to bark the theme while limp/running during the second half. We went on to win 3-2 and after the game the co-captain told me “Man, that was a great half time speech, you were like the guys carrying the flag and playing the flute and drums from the revolutionary war”. I asked “You mean the fife and drum?” They started calling me Fife until the variant of Barney Fife started.

Years later while managing a second level tech support team (any one who has done this can attest to the chaos) we were having a particular bad month. Upper management was sitting on their hind ends afraid to make a few major decisions that was creating the chaos and impacting the morale of our team. I always put my crew before me and marched into a meeting with the uppers and blasted away within ear shot of my team.

Upon returning the team lead, an ex Army Ranger (who knew his history) told me that it was like watching/listening to the fife and drum corps, which are unarmed (the corporate equivalent of yelling at upper management), march into battle for the morale of the team.

Thought it would be an appropriate handle for this themed site.

+Quote Post
Know Paine
post Mar 9 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #19

Junior Contributor

Member No.: 5,807

My name is based on the name Thomas Paine, whose views I tend to agree with. His thoughts are clearly explained, and his methods of getting to the root of a problem is admirable. His justification for American independence, as explained in his work "Common Sense," is a remarkable explanation of the origin and purpose of government, the case for democracy, the case against a constitutional monarchy, and the viability of independence.

Ever since he published his views on religion, which was highly critical of Christianity, his reputation as a national hero was smeared. I feel that everyone, especially American citizens, should know who he is, and at the very least read Common Sense. Thus, I feel that we should all at least Know Paine.

My avatar is a statue of him, located in New Jersey, depicting him with his gun on his lap and his pen in his hand. I find that depiction very poetic.

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Mar 10 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #20

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

Elspeth is a medieval form of the name Elizabeth, which means "consecrated to God." As such, I felt it to be the ideal name for a fantasy roleplaying character I created for playing AD & D (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) computer games.

The particular character is a paladin, a knight-in-shining-armor who fights evil for the sake of goodness. I would like to be a hero in everyday life, but I'm just an ordinary, middle-aged woman with Quixotic dreams who settles for battling dragons and demons that appear on the computer screen.

The nice thing about this online name is that it is unusual enough that I do not have to put a number after it to distinguish myself from any other.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: December 4th, 2021 - 08:34 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.