logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> Your handle: What's the story?, some interesting names in here
lordhelmet
post Mar 9 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Millennium Mark

Sponsor
June 2005

Group: BANNED
Member No.: 4,185

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Private

IPB Image

I thought it would be interesting to ask the membership how you came up with your "handle" or nickname for America's Debate.

Does anyone care to share why you selected the name that you selected?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 35)
Wertz
post Mar 10 2006, 02:53 AM
Post #21

Group Icon

Advanced Senior

Sponsor
January 2003

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 181

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: None

QUOTE(Vibiana @ Mar 9 2006, 11:19 AM)
I used to be Catholic.  I chose Vibiana as a screen name because she is the patron saint of single laywomen (which I am) and the mentally ill (which I am not, at least, I don't THINK I am.  mrsparkle.gif )

I was previously unfamiliar with Ste. Vibiana. The patroness of single laywomen and the mentally ill, eh? That about sums up the Church's attitude toward women. w00t.gif

Oh - for those who don't already know, Wertz is my surname.

This post has been edited by Wertz: Mar 10 2006, 02:53 AM

+Quote Post
Jobius
post Mar 10 2006, 04:30 AM
Post #22

Five Hundred Club

Sponsor
September 2007

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 5,538

Politics: Independent

A bunch of my friends used to get together on Thursday nights and play a networked game called MIDI-Maze. Around the same time, Orbital had a techno song called The Mobius, featuring a sampled quote from Worf on Star Trek: The Next Generation: "There is the theory of the mobius: a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop." At some point, I chose The Jobius as my screen name in the game (my first name is Joe), and it stuck.

My avatar is a möbius strip, and the darkest line looks a bit like the way I write the "J" when I sign my name.

+Quote Post
Victoria Silverw...
post Mar 10 2006, 06:11 AM
Post #23

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 608

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Green Party

Long before there was an Internet, I made up "Victoria Silverwolf" as the name of my alternate personality. (Yes, I live in a fantasy world.) Over the decades, she has somehow transformed herself into a vegetarian Goth werewolf. Don't ask me, she just lives in my head. huh.gif

I vary my avatars from time to time, but I usually use either a wolf (obvious) or something representing her Goth nature. (Morticia Addams, Vampira, the Corpse Bride, or Carroll Borland from Mark of the Vampire.)

My signature line comes from an anonymous graffito I saw at a science fiction convention. It pretty much sums up my philosophy.

+Quote Post
entspeak
post Mar 10 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #24

Mammal

Sponsor
May 2007

Member No.: 2,568

QUOTE(Amlord @ Mar 9 2006, 12:46 PM)
When I was introduced to the sport in college (early '90s) it was Ultimate Disc.

Frisbee was a term that was severely frowned upon...

I was introduced to it back on the UC Berkely campus when I was in... what... the 7th Grade?... yes... so that was early 80's and they called it simply, "Ultimate."

entspeak...

In 1996 – my god that's already 10 years ago! – I was racking my brain for a nickname to use for my very first email address. Ents came to mind – I'd read the Lord of the Rings trilogy earlier that summer. As described by Treebeard, Old Entish "is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time to say anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." I thought it would make a perfect, if somewhat ironic, email nickname considering the "hasty" nature of emails. It has been one of a couple of nicknames I've used online... mael being another and kashiwagi, yet another – both are fictional characters from literature and I've mainly used them for online gaming.

I still have the email address – though, now I have 6 others as well.

This post has been edited by entspeak: Mar 10 2006, 03:27 PM

+Quote Post
jaded110
post Mar 10 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #25

Group: New Members
Member No.: 5,940

Party affiliation: Democrat

This is an old name(I created it for LiveJournal)

Jaded is a Green Day song.

1:10 is actually the time I created the LJ account. Hence, jaded110.

+Quote Post
Christopher
post Mar 11 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #26

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 1,696

Party affiliation: Private

I am of course named for the 1970 SS Limited Custom Edition CHRISTOPHER.
An exceptionally rare model featuring sleek lines and minimal add ons --no hair on my head shifty.gif -- to reduce drag.
I am set to run in SuperPerfectMode -- unfortunately there are some glitches which is the reason for the limited edition. mrsparkle.gif

Oh and byethabye Frisbee Golf is THE game.

This post has been edited by christopher: Mar 11 2006, 11:08 AM

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Mar 11 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #27

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 927

Party affiliation: Other

CruisingRam was my very first, and remains my only, alias on the internet. I am a big mopar (for you non-motorheads- the old chrysler corp parts department) fan, and race cars of this genre. I drive dodge trucks only- and they are called a "ram". Lot's of guys 4x4 thier "rams"- but here in Alaska, the hiway in the winter is challenging enough. I drive my "ram" 75 miles each direction to my "retirement" property- so I go "cruising up to the property in the ram"- so "CruisingRam".

+Quote Post
gero
post Mar 11 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #28

Group: New Members
Member No.: 5,941

Politics: Slightly Liberal
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

ge-- is the first 2 letters of my first name, and ro is the first 2 letters of my last name.

Now I feel boring...LOL

+Quote Post
psyclist
post Mar 12 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #29

Senior Contributor

Sponsor
September 2005

Member No.: 4,200

Well, I like racing bikes. I used to be "cyclist" on the message board: www.straightdope.com which I don't follow anymore but is still a good site. In America, especially prior to Lance Armstrong, and even more so in Texas where I used to live, cycling isn't exactly a "man's" sport. (Despite the fact that we suffer more than anyone and the Tour de France is the hardest physical event in the sporting world). So in order to add a bit of masculinity to the name, I combined "psycho" and "cyclist" and got, psyclist.

My other name on WoW and elsewhere is "Namejs" that Latvian King who united Vidzeme, Kurzeme, and Latgale which is now present day Latvia. He understood that the regions must stop acting independently and fight together in order to repel the Strangers . In the spirit of 'united we stand, divided we fall', he said: "We must stand together against the Strangers...and when they're gone we can squabble amongst ourselves."

I'm 50% Latvian and Namejs' pessimistic quote sounds exactly like something I'd say. (Even though I'm an optimist).

This post has been edited by psyclist: Mar 13 2006, 01:01 AM

+Quote Post
DaytonRocker
post Mar 13 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #30

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 547

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: Republican

During the week, I'm a bona fide nerd and family man. Every other weekend, not so much.

So, I wanted a screen name that would not reveal my highly secret undisclosed location that is nowhere near Lat/Lon: 40.0° N 84.6° W and reflects my truly introverted lifestyle when I'm not working as a controls and software engineer.

Oh yeah - and IHaveAnEnormousPenis was already taken. mrsparkle.gif

+Quote Post
Lesly
post Mar 13 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #31

'Bryos before Hoes!

Sponsor
May 2004

Member No.: 2,838

QUOTE(DaytonRocker @ Mar 12 2006, 07:22 PM)
Oh yeah - and IHaveAnEnormousPenis was already taken.  mrsparkle.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Trouble
post Mar 14 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #32

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 1,142

Mine is pretty simple. I have always had a mischievious look about me and have a history of getting blamed for things.

I have one of those born guilty faces that has lead to all sorts of (ahem) adventures. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Amlord
post Mar 14 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 572

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

QUOTE(Trouble @ Mar 14 2006, 02:14 PM)
Mine is pretty simple. I have always had a mischievious look about me and have a history of getting blamed for things.

I have one of those born guilty faces that has lead to all sorts of (ahem) adventures. ohmy.gif

You have the best avatar on the board too, IMHO (and my son's: he loves monkeys).

+Quote Post
Trouble
post Mar 14 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #34

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 1,142

My favourite avatar would be Hobbes'.

QUOTE(Amlord)
You have the best avatar on the board too, IMHO (and my son's: he loves monkeys).

Thanks but I think a moving gif avatar or one that changes pictures would be more exciting than the one I have.

+Quote Post
deathalive
post Mar 16 2006, 04:06 AM
Post #35

Century Mark

Member No.: 2,915

Mine came about in 8th grade; back when I was heavy on philosophy. It came from what I feel are the two greatest paradoxes in this world: Life and Death= deathalive

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Mar 16 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #36

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

Does anyone care to share why you selected the name that you selected?

hmmm.gif In my working days, I would complain about not being called by my name and I would get told I should be happy that I wasn't "called late for dinner." That I was never able to get anyone to call me by name was driven home on my last day of work. Someone spoke to me by name, and I was asked, "Why did they call you that?" I explained that it was the name my mother wrote on my birth certificate. She woke my dad up that day and said, "It's time to go to the hospital." Dad left for the hospital. A neighbor drove mother to the hospital. Mother had worked for years for the doctor that delivered me, and when she was told that he had died before he could sign the birth certificate...she started to sign his name. By the time my father reached the hospital, I had been born, the doctor had died, and I had been given the name of the doctor who delivered me. I think I know what name I was supposed to have, but I never really learned to respond to that name.

When I was growing up in Grand Rapids, one of my favorite newspaper columnists was "The Old Curmudgeon." He rode to and from work on the Cherry Street Bus, and always included something in his column that he overheard on the bus.

I've looked up the definition numerous times, but a curmudgeon is basically a grouchy person. with a connotation that he is typically an old man.

I have reached an age where I told my daughter on my last birthday that she could buy an over the hill candle for my cake, as they don't seem to make them with ages older than I was turning.

I have fought a lot of strange battles in my life. (And won a few.)

On the day that I joined AD, I had listened to Paladin Elspeth read what she was writing in response to what I perceived as a personal attack on her. I was having a bad enough day as it was, and I felt that I needed to join in and defend my wife. :knight in rusty armor smiley: (Having read and listened to several hundred of her posts, I now realize that she is far more capable of defending herself than I ever will be.)

Anyway, I had to choose a name that I was comfortable with, and I was basically uncomfortable with the fifty odd nicknames I had acquired over a lifetime, so I chose Curmudgeon on the spur of the moment because I was feeling like a very grouchy old man that day.

I was on the site only a few hours when I got welcomed aboard as "Mudge." flowers.gif In my PMs, I am called that far more often than I am called Curmudgeon, so I have learned to respond to that as well.

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Mar 16 2006, 10:25 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: December 4th, 2021 - 07:51 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.