logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> Memorial Day, A copy of my Myspace entry...
Titus
post May 28 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #1

What's crackalackin?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,872

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: None

Well, I should be in bed, but rarely do I ever catch my muse and ask her to play for me.

This weekend, many of us will be enjoying ourselves and taking advantage of an extra day off on Monday, the reason being the Memorial Day holiday. Many will enjoy what's become known as the "first day of Summer" by having barbecues, having fun at the beach, or enjoying other fun activities.

And while fun will be had by many here at home, others will also take the time to remember men and women of our nation's armed forces. Men and women of days long past and those days closer to present.

It is not uncommon for all of us to get caught up in our own lives that we seem to take days set aside like this and plan fun things to do, and forget albeit briefly, why we're able to do so. Nor is it out of some maliciousness that we do so. That is why we have a day called "Memorial Day", so that for just one moment we can remember the fallen heroes of past and present conflicts, that our memories of these people and their sacrifice are not lost to us and our ever increasingly busy lives.

These memories may be of loved ones, families, friends, or neighbors. They may be of fellow soldiers, sailors, airmen, or marines. They are our memories of heroes who fell so that we may be able to stand. The memory of seeing a son walk out the front door of his home, only for the last time. The memory of a woman who spent countless nights tending to a soldier's wounds, and seeing her face at night years later, and wishing to thank her. They may be of a comrade who stood fast with you through an icy hell in Bastonge, who shared Christmas chow with you, and the next day was gone.

These are our memories, both collective, and personal. These are the memories of hearing stories as children about how we gained our freedon so many years ago because of the bravery and courage those who would not have their fate be dictated to them. Stories of brothers who killed one another generations later, and of brothers reconciled. Stories of men and women who's sorrow at the sight of thousands die at the hands of cowards turned to conviction, volunteering to fight terror wherever it may be.

These words are not meant to beat one's conscious into submission in order to get a few token gestures at remembrance and damper any fun had this weekend. These fallen souls of wars long past are always with us, enjoying what we enjoy, smiling with us, taking pride in the fact that their sacrifice is reflected in every smile, every laugh, every content belly at a barbecue.

What these words are meant to do, is only to remind you just a bit more to take a moment and say thank you to those spirits, who keep watch over us in death, as they did for our nation in life. For as so long as we give that little bit of recognition and gratitude, we will never forget them, we will remember them. They will stay in our memories.

Happy Memorial Day to all my friends serving around the world and here at home, notably, Crystal Mortensen (U.S. Army), David Schoultz (U.S. Navy), Corie Jones (U.S. Air Force - way to sneak up on a guy like that!! -), Dustin Duffy (U.S. Army) Lydia Duffy (U.S. Army) and Victor Rivera (U.S. Nat'l Guard -who's on a different kind of mission right now! Rat Bastard!), thank you to all of you serving wherever you may be, and thank you to the fallen Americans who's sacrifice is not forgotten.

If the Army and the Navy, ever gaze on Heaven's scenes,

They will find the streets are guarded by, United States Marines.

**Edited to add one note: A special thanks to all AD members who served their country, past and present. Thank you.***

This post has been edited by Titus: May 28 2006, 11:04 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
psyclist
post May 28 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #2

Senior Contributor

Sponsor
September 2005

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 4,200

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Thanks Titus, I was actually going to start a similar thread.

Regardless of your political leanings or feelings toward the Iraq war, there are real people over there who deserve our thoughts and prayers. Soldiers are a special breed of people who are willing to put their life on the line for something they believe in. A noble trait that few poses.

May God bless all the soldiers of world who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for a higher cause they believe in.

Thanks Mike

This post has been edited by psyclist: May 28 2006, 11:24 PM

+Quote Post
Dontreadonme
post May 29 2006, 01:14 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 359

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Libertarian

Thank you for the profound words Titus, and thank you for starting a thread that can hopefully bring us all back together a little bit.
I have a small collection of verse about soldiers and sacrifice that make me pretty misty when I read them. Sadly, that occasion only comes around when I stumble upon them again, or a freind has fallen, or Memorial and Veteran's Day come around.
Here is one.........

Just a Common Soldier

(A Soldier Died Today)

by A. Lawrence Vaincourt

He was getting old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast, And he sat around the Legion, telling stories of the past. Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done, In his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

And tho' sometimes, to his neighbors, his tales became a joke, All his Legion buddies listened, for they knew whereof he spoke. But we'll hear his tales no longer for old Bill has passed away, And the world's a little poorer, for a soldier died today.

He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife, For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life. Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way, And the world won't note his passing, though a soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth, their bodies lie in state, While thousands note their passing and proclaim that they were great. Papers tell their whole life stories, from the time that they were young, But the passing of a soldier goes unnoticed and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution to the welfare of our land A guy who breaks his promises and cons his fellow man? Or the ordinary fellow who, in times of war and strife, Goes off to serve his Country and offers up his life?

A politician's stipend and the style in which he lives Are sometimes disproportionate to the service that he gives. While the ordinary soldier, who offered up his all, Is paid off with a medal and perhaps, a pension small.

It's so easy to forget them for it was so long ago, That the old Bills of our Country went to battle, but we know It was not the politicians, with their compromise and ploys, Who won for us the freedom that our Country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger, with your enemies at hand, Would you want a politician with his ever-shifting stand? Or would you prefer a soldier, who has sworn to defend His home, his kin and Country and would fight until the end?

He was just a common soldier and his ranks are growing thin, But his presence should remind us we may need his like again. For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise, Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days. Perhaps just a simple headline in a paper that would say, Our Country is in mourning, for a soldier died today.

Rest In Peace, Jason

This post has been edited by Dontreadonme: May 29 2006, 01:16 AM

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post May 29 2006, 02:36 AM
Post #4

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

It is proper to remember the fallen.

It is my hope that they have found rest on the other side, and that their families find comfort in their memories.

I also hope that because of their sacrifices, fewer will have to follow them in death from war and injustice. May they rest in peace.

+Quote Post
Wertz
post May 29 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Advanced Senior

Sponsor
January 2003

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 181

I posted this here on this day last year and don't have much to add:

There are those who profit from war, there are those for whom war means great political gain, and there are doubtless those who get off on the violence associated with war. But, generally speaking, no one likes war, no one wants war. Yet, throughout our history, we have had men and women ready to go to war - when our lives and liberty or those of our allies were being threatened, when it was the only recourse to stop a powerful, murderous brute from perpetrating inhuman acts, and sometimes when it was merely for the power and gain of our own brutes.

Regardless of the reasons, regardless of our own agreement or disagreement with particular acts of war, these men and women have been willing to put their lives at stake to defend our country, our allies, our ideals, and their comrades in arms. And, in doing so, many of them have fallen. This is their day. I hope that, during all of the swimming and sunning and barbecues, during the travel and reunions and family squabbles, we all take time to think of them, to pray for them, to acknowledge their sacrifice, and to admire them.

"We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us" is a quote frequently attributed go George Orwell. While he never said anything quite like it, the sentiment is true. We all want peace, but without those "rough men" we would not have it, without those "rough men" it would be under constant threat.

May the hearts of those who have died so that freedom might live now lie peaceful and calm. To those of you willing to make that sacrifice, who have served or are serving: you have much to be proud of - and we are proud of you. Thank you.

us.gif us.gif us.gif

This post has been edited by Wertz: May 29 2006, 03:25 AM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post May 29 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #6

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Remembering . . .

+Quote Post
Lesly
post May 29 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #7

'Bryos before Hoes!

Sponsor
May 2004

Member No.: 2,838

Received from a friend:

It is the VETERAN, not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the VETERAN, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN, not the politician,
who has given us the right to vote.

It is the VETERAN,
who salutes the Flag.

It is the VETERAN,
who serves under the Flag.

This post has been edited by Lesly: May 29 2006, 05:59 PM

+Quote Post
Amlord
post May 29 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 572

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

God bless those who have made the ultimate sacrifice standing up for what we all believe in.

us.gif

+Quote Post
TedN5
post May 29 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #9

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,454

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Today I honor those who gave their lives to establish the Republic, to save the Republic from an insurrection, and to defend democratic nations in 2 constitutionally declared war. I also remember those who honorably sacrificed their lives under the leadership of misguided politicians in the Indian wars, the Spanish-American war, the Philippines, Central American interventions, Vietnam (some of them my friends), and now Iraq. I also remember the victims of aggressive wars launched or supported by the US - uncounted thousands of native Americans, at least 20,000 Filipinos, thousands in Central America and the Caribbean, at least 3,000,000 in South East Asia, and now well over 100,000 in Iraq. I also commemorate the lives of unnecessary victims of US tactics in just wars -including those in Dresden, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki. In no way do I endorse the militarism that dominates our country today and that is so similar to the Prussian militarism that helped lead Germany down such a destructive path.

+Quote Post
Jaime
post May 29 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

You ad.gif ers have done a marvelous job at articulating your thoughts on today. I can't add anything in that regard.

Endeavoring for freedom is a monumental and ever changing task. There are a number of folks out there who deserve a little recognition for their efforts also. I'd like to extend my thanks to all the wives and husbands who keep the hearth warm while their loved one is serving away from home. Thank you to the children who don't get to have their mommies and daddies tuck them in every night and who may not quite understand why. Thank you to the mothers and fathers who stay up late worrying about their 'babies' serving overseas. Thank you to those who send care packages with the cherished reminders of home. Thank you to all of you who get up everyday, go to work, pay your taxes, only to repeat it again.

Freedom is no small effort and we're all in this together.

Enjoy your BBQs. cool.gif beer.gif wub.gif us.gif

+Quote Post
crashfourit
post May 29 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #11

Admin of other Sites

Sponsor
June 2006

Member No.: 2,885

Party affiliation: Republican

I have heard a song once. I don't rember the name of it or who wrote it, but one line went like this:

"All had to stand, but some had to fall." Which reminds me of one saying, "Freedom is never free."

I think is very sad that Thomas Jefferson got it right, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

May we remember those who had to fall to give us freedom and liberty.

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post May 30 2006, 02:46 AM
Post #12

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 504

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

In this place where valor sleeps, we are reminded why America has always gone to war reluctantly, because we know the costs of war. We have seen those costs in the war on terror we fight today. These grounds are the final resting place for more than 270 men and women who have given their lives in freedom's cause since the attacks of September the 11th, 2001. With us here are veterans who fought alongside them -- and who have come today to pay their respects. They are joined by veterans of World War II, Korea, Vietnam, and other conflicts across the globe, whose friends and comrades also lie in this sacred ground. As we pray for their fallen friends, we also remember those who went to war and are still missing, and we are determined to account for them all.

In this place where valor sleeps, we find strength in knowing that those serving freedom's cause have acted with principle and steadfast faith. Second Lieutenant Jack Lundberg was killed two weeks after D-Day, at the end of World War II. He wrote his Mom and Dad a letter to be opened in the event he did not come home. He wrote, "I am sorry to add to your grief ... but we of the United States have something to fight for -- never more fully have I realized that. The United States of America is worth the sacrifice."

That same feeling moves those who are now fighting the war on terror. First Lieutenant Mark Dooley was killed by a terrorist bomb last September in the Iraqi city of Ramadi. Before he left for his tour, he gave his parents a last letter, just in case. He wrote: "Remember that my leaving was in the service of something that we loved, and be proud. The best way to pay respect is to value why a sacrifice was made."
~ President Bush

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20060529-1.html

I hate it when they say, ‘He gave his life for his country.’ They don’t die for the honor and glory of their country. We kill them.

~Rear Admiral Gene R. LaRocque

us.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: December 2nd, 2021 - 04:56 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.