logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> IMPORTANT NOTICE

This forum is for declared Libertarians ONLY. If you have not declared yourself as such, DO NOT post here.

> Recruiting new members for the Libertarian party., What's the best way of explaining our ideals to potencial members?
ZeeSaga
post Sep 10 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #1

Anarcho-Pacifist

Sponsor
November 2009

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 10,613

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Independent

LIBERTARIANS ONLY

What is, in your opinion, the best way to win over people to vote for/ join the Libertarian Party?

How do we best present our ideals without scaring away a public who has become so use to such an ever present and imposing government that they think anything other than that is extreme?

LIBERTARIANS ONLY
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Dontreadonme
post Sep 10 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 359

Party affiliation: Libertarian

What is, in your opinion, the best way to win over people to vote for/ join the Libertarian Party?

Two words: Eminent Domain. Explain to the citizens the corrupt power that local officials have in determining who holds sovereignty over one's own property, the property owner or developers that add to the tax base of the community, and thus....the power of the official.

Additionally, since many Libertarian minded people reside out of convenience and ignorance in the Republican Party, we must show how the Republicans have given mere lip service to actual freedoms of the individual and of the collective. For those that reside in the Democrats [who haven't already defected to the Greens], illustrate the individual sovereignty, civil and sexual rights that are given that same 'mainstream' lip service by the Democrats.

How do we best present our ideals without scaring away a public who has become so use to such an ever present and imposing government that they think anything other than that is extreme?

As much as I advocate drug legalization, the Libertarian Party and the convention [which is the only insight many people have of the LP, when they bother to tune into C-SPAN] should back away publicly just enough to not look like the party of drug legalization. In my forested, outside the commuter-belt region, there is a large population of people [Catholics] who supported Ron Paul like crazy, but for his stance on abortion. I queried several on Paul's other advocacy issues and got a blank stare in return. Co-opting Ron Paul [willingly or not] at the local level may get through to some people.

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Sep 11 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #3

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 927

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

I would like to start by saying I think the time is really ripe for a third party. I was impressed over how well Ron Paul did despite his lack of charisma and the noise machines of both parties. I think his showing demonstrated that it is possible, we just need to adjust. BTW- thanks for the topic ZeeSaga- we had this very conversation/debate at the libertarians on campus last month. thumbsup.gif

1) Find a charismatic and pragmatic figurehead that has Obama/Clinton/Reagan style charisma, but into the libertarian platform and party.
2) Don't be uber-married to every part of the party platform.
3) This is where I disagree with DTOM- to a part anyway- I would stay with the marijuana legalization, but go incremental on the other drug legalization. Should stick with the government out of private decision making genre'- in other words, completely repudiate all social conservative ideology- this would help the party claim back a bunch of the non-religoius right republican party.
4) Don't be the party of "no" either- don't just say you are going to cut every social program and safety net on the country. This is a real problem for the libertarian party. Incremental is key here- go fiscally conservative instead- Save Social Security for instance instead of doing away with it- by making it retirement insurance again instead of folks counting on it as retirement itself. It is insurance in case you are ruined by a national economic crash. Makes the party seem more reasonable and sane.
5) Don't hang up on over-privatization that seems to really kill us when made public- you know, privatize police and fire departments- it has been proven that certain areas don't really do better when privatized, and costs more money in the long run, and costs us real freedom
6) Really, really hit hard, really make the public aware of the idea of "corporate personhood" and make this a priority of stripping our legal system of this notion. Corporate power is very bad and the main source of lack of real freedom in this country, and the more we hit on that, the more the public will flock away from the corporate sponsored Republicrats. thumbsup.gif

Incremental is the key. Show folks the nation can be free and safe at the same time. Don't go extremist on all the free market stuff and the social program stuff, mend it instead of end it should be the message at first. Go with the message of stopping the mission creep whenever a new program or government agency is formed, stop the creep first, then go after the program itself later, if necessary.

+Quote Post
ZeeSaga
post Sep 13 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #4

Anarcho-Pacifist

Sponsor
November 2009

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 10,613

Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Dontreadonme @ Sep 10 2009, 03:51 PM) *

Two words: Eminent Domain. Explain to the citizens the corrupt power that local officials have in determining who holds sovereignty over one's own property, the property owner or developers that add to the tax base of the community, and thus....the power of the official.

Additionally, since many Libertarian minded people reside out of convenience and ignorance in the Republican Party, we must show how the Republicans have given mere lip service to actual freedoms of the individual and of the collective. For those that reside in the Democrats [who haven't already defected to the Greens], illustrate the individual sovereignty, civil and sexual rights that are given that same 'mainstream' lip service by the Democrats.

As much as I advocate drug legalization, the Libertarian Party and the convention [which is the only insight many people have of the LP, when they bother to tune into C-SPAN] should back away publicly just enough to not look like the party of drug legalization. In my forested, outside the commuter-belt region, there is a large population of people [Catholics] who supported Ron Paul like crazy, but for his stance on abortion. I queried several on Paul's other advocacy issues and got a blank stare in return. Co-opting Ron Paul [willingly or not] at the local level may get through to some people.

I never thought of eminent domain being such a hot button issue capable of changing peoples minds about their party of choice, but I'll run it by some people. I do think the best way to go about changing peoples party preference is showing them that their party really isn't as strongly for what they say they are for, i.e. the democrats say they are for equal rights for homosexuals while they really don't try to do anything about it. And with republicans, they say they are for small government but all anyone has to say is BUSH and it becomes apparent they are not. These are just 2 examples of where those 2 parties drop the ball on their issues but there are plenty other examples. This is where I try to prove the Libertarian party is different.

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Sep 14 2009, 04:33 AM
Post #5

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 927

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

QUOTE(ZeeSaga @ Sep 13 2009, 12:31 PM) *
QUOTE(Dontreadonme @ Sep 10 2009, 03:51 PM) *

I never thought of eminent domain being such a hot button issue capable of changing peoples minds about their party of choice, but I'll run it by some people. I do think the best way to go about changing peoples party preference is showing them that their party really isn't as strongly for what they say they are for, i.e. the democrats say they are for equal rights for homosexuals while they really don't try to do anything about it. And with republicans, they say they are for small government but all anyone has to say is BUSH and it becomes apparent they are not. These are just 2 examples of where those 2 parties drop the ball on their issues but there are plenty other examples. This is where I try to prove the Libertarian party is different.

Zeesaga, the hot button issue is and should be "freedom' and who can give is the most, in the real world, freedom. Somebody charismatic enough to unite both the left and right axis of the libertarian political quadrants. Nanny statism, GW fascist statism, religious right state ism, they are all enemies of freedom.

Then, not living and dying by an orthodox near-religious platform. Give some wiggle room for some centrist ideology as well.

There is a BIG tent in this country when it comes to freedom, the libertarian party is in the position to make the most freedom for our country, and it simply needs to be articulated AND we need to gather ALL aspects of libertarian thought under a "big tent" and try to keep as many in that tent as possible, and allowing some of the near anarchist left and the near anarchist right wings of the party huddle near the edges.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: December 17th, 2018 - 07:01 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.