logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Riots? Emigration? Assasinations? Really?
Bikerdad
post Oct 18 2012, 12:40 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 715

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Reportedly, Twitter is abuzz with threats of rioting if Obama loses the election. FWIW, I don't use Twitter, so I can neither confirm nor deny the assertion.

Will the most divisive campaign in modern American history culminate in massive riots in our major cities? Right now, supporters of Barack Obama and supporters of Mitt Romney are both pinning all of their hopes on a victory on November 6th. The race for the presidency is extremely tight, and obviously the side that loses is going to be extremely disappointed when the election results are finalized. But could this actually lead to violence? Could we actually see rioting in communities all over America? Well, the conditions are certainly ripe for it.
The election is nearly four weeks away, and many Obama supporters are already threatening to riot if Obama loses. The following are some very disturbing messages that were posted on Twitter recently that have been reposted on Twitchy.com….

Romney supporters are not really threatening to riot, but many of them are proclaiming that they may leave the country if Obama wins.

On the other hand, some top cops have this to say: “We’re Not Anticipating Civil Unrest On Election Night”

Last, Twitter has become an very public outlet for mumblings and mutterings of assassination.

Obama Supporters Threaten To Kill Romney If He Wins Election

Questions for Debate:

1} Do you think there is a non-trivial probability that the election will trigger rioting?

2} If so, what sort of scenario do you think is most likely to trigger riots?

3} Again, "if so", do you have any concerns about said hypothetical rioting directly impacting you?

4} On a scale of 1-10, how seriously should the assasination talk be taken? Have you personally heard any such talk regarding either candidate?

5} At some point, folks actually do start responding to political developments with their feet. (See France for an example). If Obama wins, do you think that point is here for many conservatives?

6} I just did a cursory review of both Daily Kos (crappy site layout) and HuffPo (much better site layout) and didn't see anything on their front pages or election pages regarding conservatives threatening to either riot or assassinate Obama if Romney loses. Is the riot/assassination talk heavily tilted in one direction, or is it bipartisan?

7} There was some similar concern over the 2004 elections, which obviously turned out to be unwarranted. Do you think the potential is higher this time around than 2004, or lower? Why?

(btw, is there a lefty equivalent to Twitchy? )
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Mrs. Pigpen
post Oct 18 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

It seems like every election cycle since the widespread use of the internet: Assertions of riots, assassination (they said this about Obama's election too), or that the guy in charge "won't leave if he loses" (he'll declare a national emergency to become a dictator, yadda yadda...)

1} Do you think there is a non-trivial probability that the election will trigger rioting?
No

NA

3} Again, "if so", do you have any concerns about said hypothetical rioting directly impacting you?
NA

4} On a scale of 1-10, how seriously should the assasination talk be taken? Have you personally heard any such talk regarding either candidate?
Assassination talk should never be dismissed outright, but how many people "predicted" Obama's assassination? I'd give it about a 3. Doesn't rise to the level of 'Bush in the crosshairs' or the facebook 'should Obama be assassinated' poll.

5} At some point, folks actually do start responding to political developments with their feet. (See France for an example). If Obama wins, do you think that point is here for many conservatives?
Where would they go? John Galt's lost Island in the Pacific? If they think anywhere else would be better, I'd recommend they (to quote my dad, RIP) "wake up at 4 AM and milk a few cows before buying that farm". Little will change whether Obama is elected or Romney is elected. At best, it's the devil you know versus the devil you don't. Furthermore, they'll need to relinquish their citizenships too if the primary bone of contention is taxes, or they will still have to pay.

6} I just did a cursory review of both Daily Kos (crappy site layout) and HuffPo (much better site layout) and didn't see anything on their front pages or election pages regarding conservatives threatening to either riot or assassinate Obama if Romney loses. Is the riot/assassination talk heavily tilted in one direction, or is it bipartisan?

I haven't been following the "riot talk" so I wouldn't know. From what I do know of human nature though each side will be more likely to show what reflects better on his/her personal ideology and less likely to reveal that which reflects poorly. I'm sure there is plenty of 'talk' all around, and in the age of the worldwide web and pseudo anonymity, no conversation is particularly private (as you've mentioned on another thread). My mom, for instance, hates Obama and has said as much to me in conversation if Romney doesn't win (not that she would shoot him, but she kind of hopes someone would. Nice.).

7} There was some similar concern over the 2004 elections, which obviously turned out to be unwarranted. Do you think the potential is higher this time around than 2004, or lower? Why?
No more, perhaps less.

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Oct 18 2012, 11:25 AM

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Oct 18 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #3

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 225

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Private

I think if it is a close race I expect some form of republican thuggery. I need only the example of the 2000 year election. Having the Supreme Court once again available as coup enabler should give them some additional motivation. With the suppression of the vote, the birther conspiracy and the willingness to throw the country under the bus legislatively to achieve victory it appears the party sees power as an entitlement and feels very little constraint on itself to take that power back. They also have most of the heavy duty NRA folks and militias and religious military hot heads who dream dreams of violence.

This post has been edited by Dingo: Oct 18 2012, 12:57 PM

+Quote Post
Julian
post Oct 18 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

Before I address your questions, I do use Twitter, though I tend to use it as entertainment rather than for serious debate, either as a reader or a Tweeter. At best, it can uncover some big stories and develop them really quickly. At worst, it's the ignorant mob in full flow. Most of the time, it's both, simultaneously.

Rioters will riot - whatever they use as an excuse is just that.

But I'd say there is a big difference between 'rioting' - people causing disturbance and damage because they have no other way of making themselves heard - and 'looting' - people stealing and trashing stuff just because they want to. Unfortunately, the former usually attracts the latter, and the media and establishment almost always try to paint the former as being no better than the latter. Rioting causes the same amount of damage, but it usually has a point to make (which you can agree or disagree with), where the only points of looting is the theft and/or vandalism.

There are sections of all Western societies that are almost permanently marginalised and disaffected - usually the poorest people in the biggest cities. America and Europe seems to have been making these people more numerous, through austerity measures, recession, etc. These are usually the tinderboxes where rioting breaks out.

On the bright side, I think (like a real tinderbox) there needs to be an almost literal spark - rioting is far more common in hot weather than in the cold. So having presidential elections in November, as you do, mitigates against them.

No. The Atlantic is so wide that any unrest in the USA would have to be so big that a broken window would be the least of my worries.

I'd say 2. Again, Twitter is essentially a trivial/transient site. I don't think anything said on Twitter should be taken seriously by anyone (including anything that gets described as "cyber bullying"). Usual rules on active incitement to or credible threats of violence should apply, but beyond that, I don't think anyone should take very much on Twitter very seriously, and in no circumstances should they take anything on Twitter seriously (including threats and incitement) without pretty hefty corroboration. Twitter is basically a forum for bar-room banter on a global scale.

America is just about the most right-leaning large-scale nation on Earth. Other places - like, say, Singapore - may be politically appealing, but as a refuge for hard-done-by conservatives, it simply isn't workable as it's just too small to take very many. Politically, the American right needs to understand that - they simply do not have enough fellow-travellers elsewhere in the world to provide a safe haven from liberalism.*

This is in contrast to the American left, who can go almost anywhere in the developed world where they can speak the language and integrate almost seamlessly (provided they can meet immigration criteria).

*The likes of Atlantic Bridge seem to be doing what they can to turn the UK into a safe haven for, at least, economic conservatives, though social conservatives would still be shocked at our general levels of decadence.

Honestly? I think the Right-leaning extremists likely to make threats of assassination have been around a lot longer, and have been in the sights of the likes of the FBI for a lot longer, than anyone on the left likely to want to assassinate anyone. so through practice alone they're much more likely to be operating in secret rather than boasting about it on Twitter or anywhere else. Certainly this is true of any kind of organised operation - the possibility of a lone nut from anywhere on the spectrum justifying their actions in terms of their position on the spectrum is high, especially in an internet-enabled world where it is easy as pie to find like minds with distance no object.

About the same, I'd say - a non-zero probability that has to be examined for threat, but not one to lose much sleep over.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Oct 18 2012, 02:32 PM
Post #5

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Party affiliation: Democrat

Probably not. We were talking about this after I dropped off our mail-in ballots yesterday at a county office with a drop-off box. We have two of them. Rioting sounds an awful lot like physical labor, and with an overweight population, I doubt such an activity would be appealing. I'll be surprised if Romney wins, but I won't be angry over it. I'll just expect that 20% cut in my taxes for next year, and if he gets rid of the mortgage deduction for the middle class, that's going to hurt the household. Or maybe not -- we've been in this house for 14 years, so maybe that deduction isn't much anymore. Lydia has been taking it all along because her income has been a lot more stable than mine since 2001. Too old to go to war, too old to be hit by vouchers, too young to hang up the career, so onward we go . . . forward would be cool.

I do think we'll be seeing protests though, especially if the SCOTUS gets stacked and women stand to lose their right to choose. Maybe unemployed people will march on Washington or something. It's a little difficult to predict if we'll actually invade more countries, but that could still be the neocon agenda. Many of the people from the GWB admin will be populating the Romney admin.

Basically though, I expect another four years of President Obama and crew with a steady climb out of high unemployment toward perhaps a leveling global economy that becomes highly resistant to booms and busts. My terminal optimism would kick in. Oh, and I just landed my third good-paying gig for this year. The mood on Election Day will be a lot brighter than before, and if this is reflecting a positive trend toward greater employment, I don't think many will want to raise a ruckus over either guy winning. People will be too busy planning for a great Thanksgiving and even better Christmas celebration.

+Quote Post
scubatim
post Oct 18 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #6

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 8,004

Politics: Very Conservative

QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 18 2012, 07:54 AM) *

I think if it is a close race I expect some form of republican thuggery. I need only the example of the 2000 year election. Having the Supreme Court once again available as coup enabler should give them some additional motivation. With the suppression of the vote, the birther conspiracy and the willingness to throw the country under the bus legislatively to achieve victory it appears the party sees power as an entitlement and feels very little constraint on itself to take that power back. They also have most of the heavy duty NRA folks and militias and religious military hot heads who dream dreams of violence.

You say this as if 1) using the legislative system is a bad thing and 2) the Republican Party is the only party that has done so. Do you really believe this crap?

Was in the process of responding to the questions when I lost my internet connection, so edited to add:
Highly doubtful....but don't underestimate the ignorance of a few...

I don't remember riots the first time Obama was elected, can't imagine a re-election would be any different. I can't come up with a logical reason why we would see riots if Romney is elected. I can imagine demonstrations for either side, but those can be productive so I wouldn't object if groups wanted to have a rally of some sort.

Simply put....no.

There are a lot of things we can say that typically shouldn't be taken seriously. People commonly say something like 'I could have just killed him!' when it is obvious that such a statement was not intended to be taken literally. There are other statements that regardless of intent, need to be taken seriously, at least serious enough to warrant further investigation by the proper authorities. Threatening to assassinate the President of the United States would fall under that category.

None that I would consider sane or credible.

I haven't heard it at all except this thread...

Don't remember that.

This post has been edited by scubatim: Oct 18 2012, 03:43 PM

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Oct 18 2012, 03:31 PM
Post #7

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 927

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-7805482/...a-30894885.html

One of Romney's pampered princesses wants to "swing" on Obama. Why isn't he in jail? hmmm.gif

Of course, I would seriously like to see that pampered princess really swing at anyone, especially a large black man. I don't think it will work out all that great for Tag. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
scubatim
post Oct 18 2012, 03:48 PM
Post #8

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 8,004

Politics: Very Conservative

QUOTE(CruisingRam @ Oct 18 2012, 10:31 AM) *
http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-7805482/...a-30894885.html

One of Romney's pampered princesses wants to "swing" on Obama. Why isn't he in jail? hmmm.gif

Of course, I would seriously like to see that pampered princess really swing at anyone, especially a large black man. I don't think it will work out all that great for Tag. rolleyes.gif

He isn't in jail because he never threatened the President. If you actually listen to the statement, it is obvious.

Your second statement has me baffled. Who is this big black man you are referring to and why would the color of skin make any difference?

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Oct 18 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative

QUOTE(CruisingRam @ Oct 18 2012, 11:31 AM) *
I don't think it will work out all that great for Tag.

It's Tagg with a double consonant ending. Like Biff, Skipp, or Mitt.

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Oct 18 2012, 05:04 PM

+Quote Post
Bikerdad
post Oct 18 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #10

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 715

Questions for Debate:

Yes. Small, but non-trivial.

A Supreme Court trip would certainly feed to it. A big popular vote win for Obama combined with a clear electoral win for Romney could do it.

None. Zero. Zilch. While I'm not living in Sun City, I expect the probability of rioting here to be about as low as it is in Sun City.

4} On a scale of 1-10, how seriously should the assasination talk be taken? Have you personally heard any such talk regarding either candidate? 2. No.

5} At some point, folks actually do start responding to political developments with their feet. (See France for an example). If Obama wins, do you think that point is here for many conservatives? Some, but not many. The point made about "where to go" is a valid one. Canada and Australia are about the only places, and we've seen how many folks promising to go to Canada if X wins actually do so. When I read that, I rolled my eyes. At least in the short term, few if any on the losing side will pull up stakes. Long term, well, take a look at the flight from California and Michigan.

6} I just did a cursory review of both Daily Kos (crappy site layout) and HuffPo (much better site layout) and didn't see anything on their front pages or election pages regarding conservatives threatening to either riot or assassinate Obama if Romney loses. Is the riot/assassination talk heavily tilted in one direction, or is it bipartisan? The riot talk is heavily tilted. The probability of conservatives rioting if Romney loses is bupkus, nada, unless the election fraud is so glaringly blatant that it throws us into a Constitutional crisis. Even then, I don't think you'll see riots, just massive demonstrations. I invite folks on ad.gif who disagree with this to point out the last time conservatives in this country rioted, and then we can contrast the frequency of conservative riots vs liberal riots. The assassination talk, while I haven't seen any highlighted from the Right, I'm sure some is out there.

Higher. The passion in '04 was residual butthurt over 2000 plus the War on Terror / Iraq / Afghanistan. This time its the economy and racial resentment. Much nastier combination.

Now, to contrast that, we now have a wider platfom for the mutterings and mumblings that used to be heard only by those within the immediate circle of bitter, angry speakers, circles that rarely would be large enough to reach any critical mass. So, is it actually a spike in such talk, or is it merely an artifact of the increased visibility afforded by new technologies? As an added wrinkle, the new technologies have also, as we've seen with the Arab Spring, supported the coalescence of mobs and riots much quicker than the last time we went through serious civil unrest.

I don't expect to see riots, but they wouldn't surprise me.

QUOTE(Dingo)
Having the Supreme Court once again available as coup enabler should give them some additional motivation
You do know that the leading news organizations in this country paid to do the full recount, and determined that Bush won the vote in Florida? The "coup enabler" was the Florida Supreme Court, which thankfully was smacked down by the US Supreme Court.

+Quote Post
Ataal
post Oct 18 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #11

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 674

Party affiliation: Libertarian

If Oakland(or any city, for that matter) can have riots after a football game, I don't see it outside the realm of possibility that it could happen after a very important election.

If Obama wins by popular vote, but loses through the electoral college, I can see it happening in some areas.

I certainly wouldn't want to be in any downtown areas after the election. Even if there wasn't any rioting, per se, people tend to start fights when angry.

Very low. 1 at the lowest, 3 or 4 at the absolute highest.

It would be an extremely low blow for conservatives. Most conservatives I know easily put Obama at the top of the worst presidents in history, or at the very least, recent memory, even when Carter is considered. So, with that said, how can we have the worst president and a majority of people still voting for him? In their eyes, a gerbil could win against Obama. So, what does that say for the Republican party? Either Romney was the worst possible candidate they could come up with, or the country is moving in a direction they would, to put it mildly, rather not live in.

What do they do about it? It's tough to say. Here are my guesses:

1. More Tea Party type rallies. Town hall meetings. Etc...

2. A third party might just find its way into the ranks. Libertarian is the most likely suspect here. It would mean a good decade or more of Democratic control, but it might be fruitful in the long term.

3. Do nothing. Keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. I think many conservatives need to come to the realities of the 21st century and either change their social issue philosophy, or place them at the very, very bottom of their priority lists.

Well, typically, protesters, are left-leaning. That's a far cry from a rioter, but when you look at the difference in actions, the left is more likely to physically get something done. Marches, protests, etc... The right holds meetings, a barbecue at a park, pumps their fist at the TV, etc.. Less effective and wish they would do more sometimes.

I don't even remember the concern in 2004. I would have expected more after the 2000 election. Maybe even 2008. But, 2004? I just can't see anyone rioting for Bush or Kerry. Obama supporters, I can see that, though. Of the friends I know that are Obama supporters, they're more loyal than Apple "fanboys." And, that's pretty scary. In fact, many of them place Obama as a better president than Clinton. You could easily make that claim about their personal lives(lewinsky and gang compared to Obama's family), but I don't know how you can say with a straight face that Obama has done a better job as president. I dislike Clinton quite a bit, but even I know better.

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Oct 19 2012, 03:27 AM
Post #12

Elite Senior Contributor

QUOTE(Bikerdad @ Oct 18 2012, 12:47 PM) *
QUOTE(Dingo)
Having the Supreme Court once again available as coup enabler should give them some additional motivation
You do know that the leading news organizations in this country paid to do the full recount, and determined that Bush won the vote in Florida? The "coup enabler" was the Florida Supreme Court, which thankfully was smacked down by the US Supreme Court.

The recount was in process. The Supreme Court ended it. Democracy was smashed and a possible coup engineered. As to who would have won, lots of different groups did their own studies and came to different conclusions. The wider recount appeared to lean toward Gore.

+Quote Post
trumpetplayer
post Oct 19 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #13

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 7,739

QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 18 2012, 10:27 PM) *
QUOTE(Bikerdad @ Oct 18 2012, 12:47 PM) *
QUOTE(Dingo)

The recount was in process. The Supreme Court ended it. Democracy was smashed and a possible coup engineered. As to who would have won, lots of different groups did their own studies and came to different conclusions. The wider recount appeared to lean toward Gore.

But it wasn't a recount. It was the attempt to overturn an election that was by all rights won by Bush under the veil of "voter intent" (in certain areas). The Florida election laws WERE followed and the only coup that was attempted was from Gore and the media by trying to overturn and subvert those laws and political process. SCOTUS was dead on correct regarding this issue and has the Florida State Supreme Court been more interested in law rather than politics this would have been a dead issue. BTW these are matters of fact and decided law now. Gore lost, he lost on every recount (even though some of these were illegal) trying to create more votes.

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Oct 19 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #14

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Member No.: 5,438

Politics: Slightly Liberal

Maybe slightly above non-trivial but it does not keep me up at night.

Evidence of voter suppression, voter intimidation, anything where it appears that individual votes are not being honored.

No. I live in an affluent coastside town in a quiet residential area. Our local police station is also one block away.

1 or 2. The threat, as with all threats against the President, should be assessed. I've not personally heard any such talk.

No. Where would they go?

Lower. The stakes were different last time, with rioting concerns focusing on Obama's race. we've cleared that hurdle so, despite that there is a lot of emotion running high about the economy and lack of jobs, there's not that blind hatred to focus on.

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Oct 19 2012, 09:32 PM
Post #15

Elite Senior Contributor

QUOTE(trumpetplayer @ Oct 19 2012, 08:37 AM) *
SCOTUS was dead on correct regarding this issue

You're a right wing republican. You couldn't possibly have any opinion other than one that agreed with the 5 republican judges to squash the recount. My reading is that a statewide recount would have given it to Gore. You can argue with the folks who did the studies and insist that a more limited recount was procedurally called for. In a democracy the whole state votes but be my guest and make angels dance on the head of a pin. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Oct 19 2012, 11:07 PM
Post #16

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Member No.: 5,438

Politics: Slightly Liberal

QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 19 2012, 02:32 PM) *

You're a right wing republican. You couldn't possibly have any opinion other than one that agreed with the 5 republican judges to squash the recount. My reading is that a statewide recount would have given it to Gore. You can argue with the folks who did the studies and insist that a more limited recount was procedurally called for. In a democracy the whole state votes but be my guest and make angels dance on the head of a pin. tongue.gif

The SCOTUS ruling and the recounts were a farce. In a matter of that much gravity, the best we could do was subvert the unknown will of the people with judges, and trying vainly to determine voter intent (hanging chads, anyone)? I have no idea who should actually have gotten FL's electoral votes; I further submit no one really knows.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Oct 20 2012, 02:11 AM
Post #17

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(vsrenard @ Oct 19 2012, 07:07 PM) *
QUOTE(Dingo @ Oct 19 2012, 02:32 PM) *

The SCOTUS ruling and the recounts were a farce. In a matter of that much gravity, the best we could do was subvert the unknown will of the people with judges, and trying vainly to determine voter intent (hanging chads, anyone)? I have no idea who should actually have gotten FL's electoral votes; I further submit no one really knows.

Right, but no big dot deal came of this. We on the left grumbled a lot about it and expected the right to come on through with their claims to be able to do it better, and then we got 9/11/01.

And the whole shebang changed.

War came along. And then another war. And then a mighty huge cluster F***. And a lot of dead soldiers. And a lot of, well, we now know what we got.

But not a revolt. Not a violent reaction. Nope, none of that happened.

And it won't happen again. We are too freaking fat to roll like that.

Which has to have the right wing really worried. Who is going to fight their wars now?

OMG, it could be the Romney boys and their children!

Heh, never in a trillion years. Illegal immigrants looking for a path to citizenship . . . that's the ticket.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: June 19th, 2018 - 09:44 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.