logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear, Did you go? Did you watch? Your opinion?
entspeak
post Oct 31 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Mammal

Sponsor
May 2007

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 2,568

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

The Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear was held on a section of the National Mall on Saturday.

Did you go and, if not, did you watch?

What were your impressions?

What are your thoughts on Stewart's "Moment of Sincerity" monologue?

This post has been edited by entspeak: Oct 31 2010, 03:55 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 25)
AuthorMusician
post Nov 2 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #21

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

The only things that I know about the artist formerly called Cat Stevens is:

Lots of #1 hits.

I've known many musicians who have tried covering those hits, and only one who could actually pull it off convincingly.

He got nabbed in an airport for the crime of looking Muslim. As I remember it, the security guards didn't know who he was until someone mentioned that he had once called himself Cat Stevens. Oh him! Good Christian name.

As for his opinions on his own religion, he's entitled to them. He has the right to express opinions on other religions too, as we all do. I frankly don't care what he has to say on that level. He's a musician, not a theologist. It's like Bill Maher, whose takes on religion I can't respect because they are so sophomoric, except with a pleasant singing voice rather than humor. Not great, but not bad either. Bob Dylan without the nasal crap and a better handle on melody.

Let's see, he played along with a game. Shows good sportsmanship. Not an egotistical twerp afraid his music might be hurt by the interruptions. He didn't go into an insane rant of any sort. Most important, he did not blow up.

If he's a terrorist, he's very bad at it. Since he is so bad at it, I have to conclude that he is not a terrorist because he isn't even trying. Then I have to conclude that those who think he is have to be taking some sort of medication that alters perception. Or they are on the side of Keep Fear Alive!

Pfft. About as convincing as running around with a sheet over your head pretending to be a ghost. I may not like what Islam teaches regarding the powers to declare fatwah, which is one of the reasons I'm not in that religion. I have other reasons for not being a member of literally every other organized religion in the world, so don't go cheering that I have suddenly seen the light. I know about the light, and that isn't it.

The light, if anyone cared to pay attention, was all over that rally. I liked it when Father Guido Sarducci called for some kind of sign regarding what religion was the right one and didn't even get a pigeon flyover. The comic irony that I detected was not the lack of flyover but the light actually being all around, if anyone cared to pay attention that is.

Heh, then later there were pigeons flying around. Coincidence or just a whole lotta pigeons in that city? At least they were American birds and not Canadian honkers that crap indiscriminately on our nation's Mall and need to be cleaned up after, which was the charity to which the profits of this rally went.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Nov 2 2010, 02:13 PM

+Quote Post
Amlord
post Nov 2 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 572

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Nov 1 2010, 01:18 PM) *
Agreed. I watched most of the live streaming and did find that one line from Stewart's speech to be the most important point. I suppose if a movement comes of this, it'll be to stop paying so much attention to the talking heads who don't know what they're talking about. Just give us the news and drop the breathless commentary.

Seems the rally has confused some of the talking heads:

What Is this Thing?

If you have to explain something to just about everyone that is watching, then it isn't getting through.

I did like Stewart's closing. He is right. Political talk has taken on a life of its own. Instead of politics being a process where we choose leaders, it has become a constant mud slinging contest. Look at some of the ads run this cycle. There was one where a candidate actually told people that his opponent would eat your children. Seriously.

Stewart and Colbert's approach was a little too hodge podge to accomplish what they set out to do however. Even though parts of it were good, enough of it was of the "huh?" variety to throw the whole thing off.

+Quote Post
Dontreadonme
post Nov 2 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 359

Party affiliation: Libertarian

QUOTE(Amlord @ Nov 2 2010, 10:10 AM) *
If you have to explain something to just about everyone that is watching, then it isn't getting through.

I'm pretty certain that your taking the meaning wrong. Stewart is observing the MSM and establishments confusion over an event that they cannot pigeonhole.

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Nov 2 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #24

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

Saturday, in response to Stewart's comments about the cable networks noise machine, Olbermann twitters:
"It wasn't a big shark but Jon Stewart jumped one just now with the "everybody on Thr cable is the same" naiveté"

Two days later, on his "Countdown" program, Olbermann announces:
"I am unilaterally suspending [the "Worst Person in the World"] segment with an eye towards discontinuing it."

Stewart jumps shark, shark bites Olbermann. Heh.

+Quote Post
entspeak
post Nov 2 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #25

Mammal

Sponsor
May 2007

Member No.: 2,568

Party affiliation: None

It seems to have become a theme for the media: when they feel or say something, they report that "many people" are feeling or saying that thing - I find that hilarious!. Watch that CNN video and tell me that the tone of Holmes was not canned confusion. Methinks the anchor doth protest too much. Watching the media reaction to this rally is like watching the reaction of an addict upon entering a room where all his family and friends are gathered for an intervention... "I don't know why y'all are here." Hilarious!

This post has been edited by entspeak: Nov 2 2010, 02:57 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Nov 2 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #26

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Nov 1 2010, 01:18 PM) *
Agreed. I watched most of the live streaming and did find that one line from Stewart's speech to be the most important point. I suppose if a movement comes of this, it'll be to stop paying so much attention to the talking heads who don't know what they're talking about. Just give us the news and drop the breathless commentary.

Seems the rally has confused some of the talking heads:

What Is this Thing?

I did like Stewart's closing. He is right. Political talk has taken on a life of its own. Instead of politics being a process where we choose leaders, it has become a constant mud slinging contest. Look at some of the ads run this cycle. There was one where a candidate actually told people that his opponent would eat your children. Seriously.

Stewart and Colbert's approach was a little too hodge podge to accomplish what they set out to do however. Even though parts of it were good, enough of it was of the "huh?" variety to throw the whole thing off.

Who said everybody didn't get it? I got it and you did too. The political talking heads got confused, that's all.

Yep, this wasn't a slick highly rehearsed Broadway musical. It was a bunch of professionals who got together and, with likely only one rehearsal, put on a three-hour show. Kid Rock performed a song still in the cooking stage. The Roots backed him up flawlessly, and Crow's harmonies made the song a lot better than it really was. That was the musical highlight, but as with any performance, it can get better. Maybe if this is done again for 2012, the whole thing will be more polished. For now, it's not a bad start.

Also, neither Colbert nor Stewart are used to live performance before a huge crowd in the afternoon. Contrast that with the Roots, Crow and Rock. That's normal fare for them, and it showed.

Musicians also have the advantage of common language (C harmonizes with E and G all the time no matter what). Comedians have a common language in the technical sense, but exactly what is going to work won't be known until show time. All musicians know what sounds good, perhaps not what will be popular all the time, but what will take a loser song and make it better in a cooperative manner. Also known as jamming.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: October 22nd, 2018 - 09:02 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.