logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> How did you find America's Debate?
How did you find America's Debate?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 77
Guests cannot vote 
Mike
post Nov 20 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

***I AM NOT A LIBERTARIAN***

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

The last "How did you find America's Debate" topic (here) was started waaaaaaaay back in 2002. It's about time that we start a new one.

It's nice to know how people find us, so thanks for participating!

Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Start new topic
Replies (40 - 59)
Ataal
post Nov 15 2007, 05:06 AM
Post #41

Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 674

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Libertarian

Well, I joined this site in 2003 so I can't remember the exact keywords I used to find it, but I'm sure it was probably along the lines of "political" "debate" "forum".

I used to be a regular poster to the Everlore forums, an Everquest gaming community. In fact, a few of the posters from that site came here, including Izdaari and Rattlesnake. Both of which I haven't seen here in a while though.

+Quote Post
Victoria Silverw...
post Nov 15 2007, 05:29 AM
Post #42

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 608

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Green Party

I followed a link supplied by JonBon (who has been away for quite a while, I believe.)

+Quote Post
BecomingHuman
post Nov 15 2007, 06:23 AM
Post #43

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 948

Party affiliation: Natural Law Party

Wow, has it really been 4 and a half years since I joined AD? Thats scary, I think I'm going to browse my early, early posts and see how radically my opinions have changed over the years.

Anyway, I still remember exactly how I found AD. I typed "Ann Coulter discussion" into Google and eventually wound up at an AD thread discussing some crazy thing she did four years ago.

+Quote Post
Macura
post Nov 25 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #44

Junior Contributor

Member No.: 5,909

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Mike @ Nov 20 2005, 04:58 PM) *
The last "How did you find America's Debate" topic (here) was started waaaaaaaay back in 2002. It's about time that we start a new one.

It's nice to know how people find us, so thanks for participating!

Mike

I took a right at Moveon.com

Actually I believe it was a like from a long forgotten site.

+Quote Post
moif
post Nov 25 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #45

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 424

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: None

QUOTE(Victoria Silverwolf @ Nov 15 2007, 06:29 AM) *
I followed a link supplied by JonBon (who has been away for quite a while, I believe.)

I sent him that link devil.gif

I followed some guy whose name I forgot (was it GoAmerica?) from another forum.

+Quote Post
TedN5
post Nov 25 2007, 02:52 AM
Post #46

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 4,454

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

I became involved with Internet political discussions after 9/11 and posted regularly on a USA Today discussion site before and during the Afghanistan invasion. I generally took a position supporting the invasion and sympathetic to the US military's strategy against some right wing fanatics who wanted an overwhelming invasion and bombing campaign. After the Taliban were overthrown and the failure to capture or kill bin Laden, the Bush Administration began talking up the need to invade Iraq and I became super critical in on-line discussion and joined a peace group to try and prevent an invasion. The USA Today discussion site was important as a way to frame arguments and observe the war hysteria that was being created. The invasion took place and I continued to oppose the war, the occupation, and what I considered to be war crimes. Suddenly in late 2004, without notice, USA Today shut down their discussion server(s). Needing an alternative, I googled for Iraq discussion and found America Debates. Frankly, I have never found it as satisfying as the other totally open forum but it meets my needs. I still participate marginally in the Iraq forums but consider the damage done to be unredeemable and have transferred most of my attention to preventing a bombing campaign against Iran and to educating people on global warming issues.

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Nov 25 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #47

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 927

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

I was refered here from, of all places- a mopar only site (for those not hot rod savvy- a mopar is a chrysler-dodge-plymouth powered vehicle, and to a lessor extent, jeep and amc) - those sites are usually very right wing, and though I have some very right wing views myself, I know edit when I see it, even when it comes from philosophies I would like to agree with. That other member was here, I can't remember his name, and he linked me- he said something to the effect of "you have to be pretty high browed or you will sink instead of swim" w00t.gif

This post has been edited by Jaime: Nov 25 2007, 09:31 PM
Reason for edit: Edited to remove profanity filter bypass

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Nov 26 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #48

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Party affiliation: Democrat

I found this site they way I find most sites worth anything, through a Google search. Except it was probably something else back then, circa 2001, 2002, Momma's maybe. That one I found by searching on the keyword "search" probably in Yahoo.

I'm pretty sure the keywords were "political" and "debate" so nothing very profound. I doubt that I used "America".

My motivation was that I was bored with my routine and needed something stimulating. Yep, this has certainly helped in that area. It's a favorite break from the daily grind.

+Quote Post
xstephigracex33
post Jan 10 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #49

Group: New Members
Member No.: 8,242

Party affiliation: Republican

I was doing a research project for a class and just came across this site

I thought it was neat and then a while later I joined. thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
NebraskaMom
post Feb 1 2008, 03:01 PM
Post #50

Junior Contributor

Member No.: 8,080

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

I found this by googling my name and "forum" and found a debate about our baby being seized. I like the site, but I rarely have time to post.

+Quote Post
Moto
post Aug 18 2008, 06:41 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 8,664

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Private

My keywords are probably the oddest ones to have found this site but they were "Groomer Has It"! blush.gif I was searching to find out info about that show and it led me to a post on your site by one of your regular members.

I've just been reading around here and there. And what most impresses me is how the site is operated and moderated. I'm a moderator on a web site and it's so difficult to get people to stop misbehaving/attacking and crossing the lines on the rules of engagement. So this site is pretty inspiring in that regard.

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Aug 18 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #52

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 225

Party affiliation: Private

QUOTE(Moto @ Aug 17 2008, 11:41 PM) *
My keywords are probably the oddest ones to have found this site but they were "Groomer Has It"! blush.gif I was searching to find out info about that show and it led me to a post on your site by one of your regular members.

I've just been reading around here and there. And what most impresses me is how the site is operated and moderated. I'm a moderator on a web site and it's so difficult to get people to stop misbehaving/attacking and crossing the lines on the rules of engagement. So this site is pretty inspiring in that regard.

Welcome Moto!

Having posted on other forums I am aware that AD has developed a broad reputation as a forum that has strictly enforced protocols and boundaries. Once you have a culture it tends to be self-selective. You can be edgy in your disagreements but you become aware of the limits.

The important thing is AD doesn't restrict the range of opinions here. There is no left or right bias.

This post has been edited by Dingo: Aug 18 2008, 02:52 PM

+Quote Post
Warren
post Dec 30 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 10,262

Politics: Moderate

I found this site while perusing comments on http://www.markfiore.com, a great animated political cartoon site. It is a bit out there at times, but certainly worth the visit.

My 1st post!

Warren

+Quote Post
rsixing
post Dec 30 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #54

Contributor

Member No.: 10,234

Politics: Slightly Liberal

I have been debating on another political forum and decided to find another to pursue different political perspectives. So far so good. thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
cicero
post Dec 30 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #55

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 8,824

I typed debate forum and America's Debate caught my eye. I wanted a place where people really debated and not just called each other names and other childish things. Things people say on the internet, but would never say to someone’s face kind of thing and I was tired of that (e.g. Yahoo). So, I found Americas Debate and have enjoyed it since.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Dec 31 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #56

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

Before our daughter turned the office into a dressing room, Paladin Elspeth and I had two computers on two desks in one room. I tended to check my bank balances, pay my bills, and go on line to work a current crossword puzzle.

Paladin Elspeth liked to play role playing games, and stumbled across AD somewhere unknown. She started reading her posts to me over the top of her computer, and I found it easier to walk around and read what she was reacting to...

In the middle of a random night, I decided that she needed someone to help defend her position... I soon learned that she has a much better command of the language, of issues, of how to defend herself, but I had formed friendships...

At the moment, we have three computers on two floors, components in the master bedroom and the kitchen, and someday we probably need to invest in one that actually works on a reliable basis...

PE has since discovered World of Warcraft, and I have discovered Sudoku... flowers.gif

+Quote Post
kevmo
post Jul 26 2009, 04:32 AM
Post #57

Contributor

Member No.: 10,598

I did a search for "safe place to debate" + politics because it seems like politics is coming up more and more at work and I think this would be a more suitable place to invite people than Free Republic cool.gif , where I'm a long term member, because the aim of the site is different. A sight seeking to open safe debate would need to be heavily moderated. us.gif

+Quote Post
ThaSkateguy
post Dec 20 2009, 03:29 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 10,833

QUOTE(kevmo @ Jul 25 2009, 10:32 PM) *
I did a search for "safe place to debate" + politics because it seems like politics is coming up more and more at work and I think this would be a more suitable place to invite people than Free Republic cool.gif , where I'm a long term member, because the aim of the site is different. A sight seeking to open safe debate would need to be heavily moderated. us.gif
All I can truthfully say, is this place needs a "Fightin forum"----With no edit button, no delete button, and no Moderators. ---Let Freedom ring through out the land.

QUOTE(ThaSkateguy @ Dec 19 2009, 12:20 AM) *
All I can truthfully say, is this place needs a "Fightin forum"----With no edit button, no delete button, and no Moderators. ---Let Freedom ring through out the land.
But I fear, I may actually be in this forum alone. Or, no one wants to talk to the New guy. I'll give it a couple of more days.

+Quote Post
entspeak
post Dec 20 2009, 03:32 AM
Post #59

Mammal

Sponsor
May 2007

Member No.: 2,568

QUOTE(ThaSkateguy @ Dec 19 2009, 09:29 PM) *

But I fear, I may actually be in this forum alone. Or, no one wants to talk to the New guy. I'll give it a couple of more days.

Talk... to the new guy... Huh? Are you able to start debates yet? Are you participating in debates yet? Are the debates new debates?

And I don't think you'll be seeing a "Fightin' Forum" anytime soon. wink.gif

+Quote Post
kevmo
post Jan 4 2010, 06:18 AM
Post #60

Contributor

Member No.: 10,598

QUOTE(ThaSkateguy @ Dec 19 2009, 07:29 PM) *

There's plenty of that on the web elsewhere. But maybe your idea will fly, who knows? One thing to keep in mind is that there still is this format where one can post topics that are for members only of various political parties. But most of us just skip right past that little notification and get right into it. If there were a free-for-all forum with no moderators, there's a likelihood that some folks from that part of the neighborhood would wander over to the moderated side of the tracks and get booted or something like that.

Maybe you expect a bit too much from an introductions type of thread. I still consider myself new but there are plenty who want to post to me because there are far more liberals than conservatives on this site. I was surprised to find that one of my techniques, posting to lurkers when I'm frustrated with the hands-over-the-ears responses from others, that it became a forum topic all by itself. So don't fret, just say what's on your mind and there will be some who respond to it. Here's one suggestion: Post the same topic, whatever it is, on this site + on a conservative site (suggest Free Republic here) + a liberal website (Maybe Democratic Underground) and then see how your experiences differ with each site, then post your experience here. It could be a good learning experience.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: October 19th, 2018 - 04:40 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.