logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> 2016 in Review, Best summary IYO
AuthorMusician
post Nov 14 2016, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

I submit the following from one of the best political comedians in our country who happens to be from the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSDUsMwakI

CAUTION: Liberal use of the F word, so if you're hyper sensitive or four years old, might want to skip it.

(Sorry four-year-olds, but you need to get used to it because of our almost sort-of elected President Elect Trump, and besides, you've known this word for half your lives or longer anyway.)

And for the majority, who happened to have voted for Hillary R. Clinton, there's solid advice on who to donate to under your drunk uncle's or aunt's name for his or her Christmas present.

Then there's Kate McKinnon's wonderfully good rendition of Cohen's Hallelujah. She even gets a wink in there for someone special while proving that good music is usually pretty simple stuff done honestly and with feeling.

Think it's time to put a safety pin on the old Carhartt hat, faded from black to gray in the intense light of the mountains. That's both real and symbolic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Looms
post Nov 23 2016, 11:15 PM
Post #2

Senior Contributor

Sponsor
January 2004

Member No.: 1,416

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Nov 14 2016, 04:47 AM) *
CAUTION: Liberal use of the F word, so if you're hyper sensitive or four years old, might want to skip it.

(Sorry four-year-olds, but you need to get used to it because of our almost sort-of elected President Elect Trump, and besides, you've known this word for half your lives or longer anyway.)

And then...

Think it's time to put a safety pin on the old Carhartt hat, faded from black to gray in the intense light of the mountains. That's both real and symbolic.

blink.gif Irony is dead.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Nov 24 2016, 07:38 AM
Post #3

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(Looms @ Nov 23 2016, 07:15 PM) *

:blink: Irony is dead.

Perhaps some explanation is in order:

Safety Pins Show Support for the Vulnerable A number of groups have asked us to wear safety pins as a way to say. "It's safe to talk to me about your fears in a nation where Right Wing groups are trying to attack newly won rights for same sex marroage, long established rights to Religous Freedom, etc. My father was an immigrant to this country, but we have the "ALT-Right proudly claiming that Donald Trump will lead us back to being a white super race in charge of the world. Native Americans were here long before Columbus, and yet somehow an oil pipeline has devolved into a war on Indian rights. An amendment to the Colorado Constitution to ban slavery was defeated. Donald Trump is scary enough that PE and I are seriously starting to ask, "What country should we move to while we still have an income?"

Safety pins are not solely for fastening baby diapers, and in reality... Friends who want to be environmentally conscious by not using disposable diapers have found that cloth diapers and plastic baby pants are nearly impossible to find.

+Quote Post
Looms
post Nov 25 2016, 04:04 AM
Post #4

Senior Contributor

Sponsor
January 2004

Member No.: 1,416

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Nov 24 2016, 02:38 AM) *

blink.gif Irony is dead.

Safety Pins Show Support for the Vulnerable A number of groups have asked us to wear safety pins as a way to say. "It's safe to talk to me about your fears in a nation where Right Wing groups are trying to attack newly won rights for same sex marroage, long established rights to Religous Freedom, etc. My father was an immigrant to this country, but we have the "ALT-Right proudly claiming that Donald Trump will lead us back to being a white super race in charge of the world. Native Americans were here long before Columbus, and yet somehow an oil pipeline has devolved into a war on Indian rights. An amendment to the Colorado Constitution to ban slavery was defeated. Donald Trump is scary enough that PE and I are seriously starting to ask, "What country should we move to while we still have an income?"

Safety pins are not solely for fastening baby diapers, and in reality... Friends who want to be environmentally conscious by not using disposable diapers have found that cloth diapers and plastic baby pants are nearly impossible to find.

You misunderstand me, sir. NO explanation was in order. It wasn't funny because I misunderstood; it was funny because I know EXACTLY what it means. That's why it was ironic, a quite decent explanation of how non-(those things Trump talked about grabbing) view people who's fee-fees get hurt by words, followed by a commitment to wear something that proclaims you to be a walking safe space.

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Nov 24 2016, 02:38 AM) *

blink.gif Irony is dead.

You misunderstand me, sir. NO explanation was in order. It wasn't funny because I misunderstood; it was funny because I know EXACTLY what it means. That's why it was ironic, a quite decent explanation of how non-(those things Trump talked about grabbing) view people who's fee-fees get hurt by words, followed by a commitment to wear something that proclaims you to be a walking safe space. Also, just curious, what in the world are you actually afraid of? Seriously, what frightens you so, to make you want to leave the country? I'm a first generation immigrant Jew...surely I need to be more afraid that you are, right? You think you may be blowing this out of proportion JUST A BIT?

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Nov 25 2016, 01:48 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

I linked to this article on another thread, but it's worth linking to again, I think.
Simply an analysis of fact, without the hyperbole.
Yes, I understand people are afraid of Trump and I'm not discounting this fear.
As funny and clever as that John Oliver piece was, from the look of things (so far) we're not really sitting on a plane with a wombat at the controls.

Let's look at what he we know at this point in time....

-He is NOT going to attempt prosecute Hillary
-He is semi-reversing his stand on global warming.
-He is not going to arbitrarily rescind the entire (ironically named) Affordable Healthcare Act.
-He set up an (equal opportunity) online poll to determine which policies are most important to Americans.

He does seem to favor de-centralization of government power (giving more power to the localities and states...iow, AWAY from his purview of power).
Wherever one might stand on that, it's hardly the stand of a dictator...it's the opposite.

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Nov 25 2016, 01:50 PM

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Nov 30 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ Nov 25 2016, 08:48 AM) *
I linked to this article on another thread, but it's worth linking to again, I think.
Simply an analysis of fact, without the hyperbole.
Yes, I understand people are afraid of Trump and I'm not discounting this fear.
As funny and clever as that John Oliver piece was, from the look of things (so far) we're not really sitting on a plane with a wombat at the controls.

Let's look at what he we know at this point in time....

-He is NOT going to attempt prosecute Hillary
-He is semi-reversing his stand on global warming.
-He is not going to arbitrarily rescind the entire (ironically named) Affordable Healthcare Act.
-He set up an (equal opportunity) online poll to determine which policies are most important to Americans.

He does seem to favor de-centralization of government power (giving more power to the localities and states...iow, AWAY from his purview of power).
Wherever one might stand on that, it's hardly the stand of a dictator...it's the opposite.

If political opinions needed to have anything to do with reality, there would be nothing to talk about.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: May 27th, 2018 - 04:59 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.