logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> POTUS Impeachment Watch 2018 . . . ?, The kind that uses eyes, calendars and chronometers
AuthorMusician
post Feb 12 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

I suppose the topic of impeachment of the current POTUS started a microsecond after it became clear he had won the Electoral College but lost the citizens' vote by around three million. It could have started earlier, but now it's looking so bad that removal from office is actually in the best interests of the nation, a matter of national security -- or so it seems.

Here's the guy who predicted a Trump win and also predicts his impeachment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGd7h-Tpy7E

As Lichtman points out, a mathematical model can't be constructed, which he used to predict the EC win, because the event of impeachment hasn't occurred enough times in USA history. So, what do we watch and how long will it take -- if it indeed is to happen?

Lichtman says it may take a lot longer than a lot of citizens want, but will it be into Trump's second term as it was for Clinton and Nixon?

Why do you think President Trump will or will not be impeached?

When will impeachment happen to President Trump, it at all?

If impeachment does happen, what do you think President Trump and/or Congress (Senate) will do about it?

If impeachment does happen, how do you see this working out, positive and/or negative, for the nation and world?

If impeachment does not happen, how do you see this working out, positive and/or negative, for the nation and world?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 22)
AuthorMusician
post Jul 22 2018, 10:14 AM
Post #21

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Jul 21 2018, 01:34 AM) *
An extremely rude question about President Trump is an article that popped into my mailbox from The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists.

On MSNBC, they have been reporting that his latest "leak" that he had an affair with a Playmate and his attorney recorded the conversation was a tape which the court had ruled represented attorney client privilege and ergo could only have been leaked to the press by Cohen or Trump.

I have no idea who benefits when we turn off the news and watch Doctor Who or the X-Files. I only know that 24/7 coverage of "The Donald" seems to be bad for our tempers, our mental health, and the world in general.

Donald's proposal that a federal law should be passed to force waitresses to surrender their tips to restaurant owners did not go over well with waitresses or customers.

Realistically, I have to believe that Donald Trump will be the first President to be removed by impeachment or the 25th amendment,. The only question will be which party will be in charge when it happens...

Polling still seems to represent the opinions of people who answer their land lines. I'd see what the newspapers have to say...but I don't know where I can find one outside of visiting the library...

I still see paper-based news in Safeway and gas stations -- certainly not all of them -- and talk occasionally with folks who read them on a fairly regular basis. And yeah, it's upsetting no matter what the source. Still, I like digital news better except for the cartoons. And I sometimes miss the ink stains on my hands from the morning rag, along with the really bad photo reproductions. This is not the America I grew up in, thank goodness. It's more interesting.

Discussion has devolved for some into calling uncomfortable stories fake news or the story tellers rusky trolls, but for others it's still attempting to make sense out of insane situations. Kissing Vlad's ring (sphincter) is one of the recent examples, but it makes perfect sense within certain contexts.

I don't think we'll be hearing much about impeachment before midterms unless it's from Republicans who can't take it any longer. Democrats seem to be focusing on local issues, although there's been some noise about dismantling ICE. If it isn't affecting local people who vote, it's likely not worth pursuing. Meanwhile, letting Trump be Trump while Republicans deal with this bouncing cannon strikes me as a pretty good strategy.

The unreliability of polls is a good thing in that the doubt reduces automatic thinking. Other metrics have to be looked at for predicting election outcomes, and the fact has to be faced that nobody really knows much about anything when it comes to making prognostications. Ergo, go vote? Let your little light shine? Or crawl into a hole and hide?

Maybe Trump is good for the nation in that otherwise apathetic citizens will try to help fix this abomination. You know, before he drums up an excuse to use war powers and declare martial law.

Another plus seems to be working its way through: the realization that the Republican Party has moved itself to the right way too far. Democrats have known this since Reagan, but now the [snide joke alert] slow learners are catching up.

Then again, it could all be going to hell in a handbasket full of deplorable sadists. Maybe learning Russian won't be so bad? Naw, that'd suck in so many ways -- even American Nazis would hate it.

+Quote Post
Ted
post Aug 28 2018, 03:29 AM
Post #22

Ten Thousand Club

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 1,807

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

[quote name='AuthorMusician' date='Feb 12 2018, 12:26 PM' post='100035328']
I suppose the topic of impeachment of the current POTUS started a microsecond after it became clear he had won the Electoral College but lost the citizens' vote by around three million. It could have started earlier, but now it's looking so bad that removal from office is actually in the best interests of the nation, a matter of national security -- or so it seems.

Here's the guy who predicted a Trump win and also predicts his impeachment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGd7h-Tpy7E

As Lichtman points out, a mathematical model can't be constructed, which he used to predict the EC win, because the event of impeachment hasn't occurred enough times in USA history. So, what do we watch and how long will it take -- if it indeed is to happen?

Lichtman says it may take a lot longer than a lot of citizens want, but will it be into Trump's second term as it was for Clinton and Nixon?

As Dershowitz says show me the Statute

Nver happen

But if dems are stupid enough to try that's GREAT. Reward stupidity

anyone remember what happened in the midterms when repubs tried to impeach Bill?

the republicans LOST seats ....so ya dems - go for it

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Sep 9 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #23

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Ted @ Aug 27 2018, 11:29 PM) *

As Dershowitz says show me the Statute

Nver happen

But if dems are stupid enough to try that's GREAT. Reward stupidity

anyone remember what happened in the midterms when repubs tried to impeach Bill?

the republicans LOST seats ....so ya dems - go for it

Apparently, the Dems are smart enough to not go for impeachment in their midterm campaigns, so the Repubs are trying to do it for them:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/politics...out-impeachment

This is a losing strategy for the Repubs because the general consensus in the electorate is already for getting rid of Trump, and saying that the opposition will try to do what the electorate wants is in effect giving voters a strong reason to go with Demos.

The only part of the electorate that will react as Repubs wish are already Trump supporters. It's just preaching to the choir for those voters -- of course they don't want impeachment because Trump has done so much for them, which includes, um, I don't know what. Allowing racists to express themselves? Bringing peace to the ME? Erecting a big beautiful border wall? Keeping the Obama economic revival alive?

It doesn't matter what Trump supporters believe he has done for them, which in objective reality is not a whole lot. Midterms are usually about local issues, although getting rid of Trump, or at least greatly hamstringing him until 2021, could be a big deal this time.

Another interesting thing is that a Trump impeachment actually has a lot of objective evidence to support it, including what the POTUS says or tweets, whereas the Clinton impeachment did not.

Anyway, looks like the Dems are waiting this out, since nothing's going to happen impeachment-wise until 2019 no matter what. First things first -- gotta get the House and hopefully the Senate before nailing Trump to the metaphorical wall.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: October 16th, 2018 - 07:31 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.