logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> China -- friend or foe?, Kill the Commies?
j10pilot
post Nov 21 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #1

Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,735

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: None

About once a month, I enter a state of trance where I just think about really, really serious stuff. What I thought about for the past couple of days is the thorny issues between the United States and China. The more I think about it, the more I realize that some of the issues cannot be solved by simply tossing out the words "freedom" and "democracy."

So here are the questions for discussion:

1. Is China an enemy of the United States?

2. Is the future of the relationship between China and the U.S. determined solely by the actions of China?

3. If China becomes a democracy, would the situation be any different?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 24)
theironman
post Feb 28 2006, 04:26 AM
Post #21

Group: BANNED
Member No.: 5,910

Politics: Private

And so presents the conundrum that is China...

China has re-invested its surplus American dollars (a result of their substantial trade surplus) in U.S. Treasury Bonds, thereby partially financing the massive budgetary shortfall. On the other hand, the U.S. is the main destination for Chinese goods, providing an essential source for Chinese growth. Therefore, this is a relationship of healthy interdependance outside of military-strategic objectives, which are at significant odds.

2. Is the future of the relationship between China and the U.S. determined solely by the actions of China?

Both. Relationships are binary creatures, whereby both parties affect the health of that relationship.

Democracy no affect on the relationship. The U.S. has no problem in dealing with various non-democratic countries when its interests are served that way..

+Quote Post
j10pilot
post Mar 10 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #22

Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,735

Whoa, my baby is still alive and well.

Enlightening replies, fellows, the good thing about debates is that there really is no right or wrong, what matters is what YOU perceive to be right or wrong. Keep up the good work.

+Quote Post
Jaime
post Mar 10 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Politics: Independent

QUOTE(j10pilot @ Mar 10 2006, 12:43 PM)
Whoa, my baby is still alive and well.

Enlightening replies, fellows, the good thing about debates is that there really is no right or wrong, what matters is what YOU perceive to be right or wrong. Keep up the good work.

These types of posts are best saved for PMs. All debate posts must be constructive and add to the debate.

TOPICS:

+Quote Post
lederuvdapac
post Mar 19 2006, 01:23 AM
Post #24

Mr. Free Market

Sponsor
August 2006

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 2,573

Politics: Independent

I don't think China should be an enemy to the United States in any way shape or form. Yes, they are a competitor but that doesnt necessarily mean they are an enemy. With the reemergence of globalization in the past couple years, we have learned that the global market brings free market nations closer. Whats good for China is whats good for the United States. The more trade and more relations we have between our nations, the better off we will be.

No not at all. It takes two to tango as they say and the US has an important role. We have to encourage investment by US firms in China and Chinese firms in the US. The more markets we create, the more growth we will have and the better prices we will have for consumers.

I think the situation would be different but it really shouldnt affect it. China is an economic powerhouse because it has adopted the free market and hopefully civil rights will follow the economic freedoms they have given. Eventually as the quality of life improves for the people of China, technology will make it impossible for China to shut off its populace.

This post has been edited by lederuvdapac: Mar 19 2006, 01:24 AM

+Quote Post
xxb
post Apr 3 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #25

Group: New Members
Member No.: 5,890

Can I say something as a chinese?

No,of couse. At least we chinese common ppl don't want to be. Though sometimes the U.S. seems aggressive to us, it still is the most powerful country in the world and the successful example of China. In fact ppl here don't want to be enemy of any country(except Japan in some younger's views, maybe). We just want to have a peace life and earn enough money to make our family live better.

No. The reationship depends on both. And most of us wish it will be better in the future.

It's really hard to say. And many ppl are disputing for it here in China. It seems that democracy can bring us a more incorrupt government (we hate the corrupt communist bureaucracy so much!), but Mongolia or the nations in South America are democracy and all are not good examples of China. Meanwhile, most chinese are peasants who are not well educated and easy to be instigated. If they have the right to vote, a radical nationalist may be voted to be the president and China will be more aggressive to other countries. That won't be good for both China and the U.S. . The democracy won't bring advantages for the ralationship until most of chinese can become bourgeois(well, it's just a dream of chinese, won't be the reality in short days).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: December 4th, 2021 - 06:58 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.