logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> The implosion of the Green Party, V.P. candidate knows who to vote for
nebraska29
post Jul 4 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #1

Only siths speak in absolutes.

Sponsor
November 2005

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 1,871

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

In a recent interview, the newly nominated Green Vice Presidential candidate has stated that if the election is close, that she will vote for Kerry!

"If the race is tight, I'll vote for Kerry," LaMarche said. "I love my country. But we should ask them that, because if Dick Cheney loved his country, he wouldn't be voting for himself."

This is the sound a political party makes as it commits suicide.

http://www.counterpunch.org/stclair07022004.html

Questions for debate:

1.)Excusing the crude term of suicide, does LaMarche's comments signal the end of the Green party?

2.)How important will her statement be to other Greens who are weighing voting for Kerry?

3.)Did the Green party really exist outside of Ralph Nader?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
AuthorMusician
post Jul 5 2004, 05:39 AM
Post #2

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

1.)Excusing the crude term of suicide, does LaMarche's comments signal the end of the Green party?

For this election season? Could be. Forever? Probably not.

2.)How important will her statement be to other Greens who are weighing voting for Kerry?

Could swing the votes to Kerry. Last Prez election I was into the Libertarian party, actually "joined" (by donating a twenty), but voted for Gore because it looked so close.

This was an emotional thing for me because my vote wasn't going to be counted anyway (Colorado is Republican). Just wanted one more "no W" stat on the books. Besides, Gore was an Internet Super Highway pioneer tongue.gif , while Browne was, well, a salesman. I kinda hoped that a Gore win would revitalize telecom, but that didn't happen -- either way. No Gore win, telecom tanked.

Coincidence? Hard to tell. Have my doubts. Believe we lost vision in 2000.

I really do believe that when it comes to actually making the choice this time around, the issues will not have to do with one idealism over another but in where the country ought to head. Yes, the lesser of two evils, but lesser still.

And of course it will be up to the individuals making choices in the voting booths. I don't think anyone is going to be thinking that their stinking little vote doesn't really count this time around.

3.)Did the Green party really exist outside of Ralph Nader?

Sure. Greens make up a worldwide organization that happens to have some US presence. As ecological issues become more important (and they will inevitably), the Green party will have more influence. Perhaps not as having directly elected officials, but more likely as providing advisors for officials.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: January 21st, 2020 - 03:56 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.