logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Say Something Nice about President Trump, Sincerely or sarcastically, it's casual confabbing
AuthorMusician
post Jan 23 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Say something nice about President Trump with sincerity and/or sarcasm.

I'm reminded of my Dale Carnegie class after telling off an IT director to his retired military face that I'd warned him via email and in person that doing something would result in something else that would turn out very bad. It did, bringing a major revenue-generating system to its knees for over three very costly days, and there he was trying to pin it on me. What a sorry excuse for an IT director was the gist of it from me, and so the class where I was supposed to learn how to control my anger.

During the class I had to tell an officer-in-training for Focus on the Family something nice about him. I have the identical thing to tell President Trump:

Nice tie.

And I can add to it:

Gee, I've never seen a tie that long. You could use it to strangle Lady Liberty and Justice at the same time.

Also:

It sure was nice to see you walking to the White House with your hot mom surrogate.

Well, there's the sarcasm. Sincerity follows:

Mr. President, you are the most consistent one yet, being exactly the same after winning as before.

Well, I guess that could also be sarcasm. Maybe you'll do better on the sincerity side.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Jan 23 2017, 03:59 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 35)
AuthorMusician
post Apr 3 2017, 01:50 PM
Post #21

Sponsor
November 2003

I was expecting great comedy to be stimulated by a Trump presidency, but even more has developed. YouTube Vox has nailed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fUDIucr2eo

Caution: Commonly understood term for male bovine excrement used throughout. Please strive to not be too traumatized, children.

This also explains why The Daily Show became more popular than regular news among the newer generations (than mine). An additional, and perhaps the most encouraging, indication is that people gravitate to the truth about Trump's and minions' steady streams of ullbay itshay when it's exposed through comedy. With his approval rating at around 35% and likely dropping, all I have to say is:

Good Job, America! us.gif <Sousa march, confetti, balloons> happy.gif sorcerer.gif drumroll.gif

And of course, thank you Mr. President. tongue.gif

As for the Electoral College, it failed miserably at its primary reason to exist (avoid electing a populist demagogic tyrant wannabee as POTUS) and should therefore go straight into history's depository of really bad political ideas. But we're probably stuck with it for the duration of the USA.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Apr 3 2017, 02:01 PM

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Apr 6 2017, 03:58 AM
Post #22

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Apr 3 2017, 09:50 AM) *
I was expecting great comedy to be stimulated by a Trump presidency, but even more has developed. YouTube Vox has nailed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fUDIucr2eo

My favoritest bit of the above-linked YouTube vid was its inclusion of John Oliver (one of the "heirs" of Jon Stewart, who's the guy responsible for "why The Daily Show became more popular than regular news among the newer generations" and stuff) in it.

Reason?

Watch this (from the 0min9sec mark to the 0min23sec mark):

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=john+o...amp;FORM=VRDGAR

ps:
Personally speakin', ... the whole vid (i.e. all 1 minute and 16 seconds of it) is mighty funny.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Apr 8 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative

He's obviously not a Russian shill.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Apr 10 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #24

Sponsor
November 2003

I want to thank President Trump for making people aware of fake news. I'm not sure yet whether this comes as a direct result, but my PBS station has dropped depressing music in the morning for more news programs after 9AM (end of News Hour that goes for two hours (bonus!) from 5AM to 7AM, then repeats).

The depressing music was geared toward a college audience, so I have little to no appreciation for it. The news can be depressing too, but at least it doesn't numb my soul into oblivion. Guess it's what I'm accustomed to.

It's too early to tell if membership/donations are up, but the spring fund-raising drive went more smoothly than usual.

On a possibly related theme, Colorado Springs politics went more liberal in recent elections. The Springs is to Boulder as Breitbart is to HuffPo, normally. Now the Springs is looking more like The Denver Post.

Maybe this points to liberals needing extreme right-wing stimulation to get off the duff. Or maybe it's a universal human behavior -- let things get really bad before changing.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Apr 22 2017, 12:38 PM
Post #25

Sponsor
November 2003

President Trump has greatly simplified my daily perusal of national news. Nothing he says can be trusted, and all his minions have a great lack of redeeming qualities. His supporters among political commentators lack any credibility, which points to the fact that when your raw materials suck, so will your end product.

Ergo, I can just wait for the actual attempts at governing the country, as in proposals and actions. The rest isn't fluff. It's a very low grade of crap.

It isn't very funny either, as the shticks have become mundane. So complicated, so hard to tell when naval ships go south rather than north, Mars will be our bug-out planet, bring Palin in for photo ops with mediocre musicians, and what, Hawaii is an actual state?!

On the upside, this is probably what rock bottom looks like. Things can certainly get worse, but then it'll be a whole different context with a deeper, wider hole to drop into, a new level for the damned.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post May 17 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #26

Sponsor
November 2003

President Trump has exceeded my expectations. I figured he'd settle in to the long haul like other POTUS's have, but he has gone beyond incompetence to blithering, blathering idiocy instead. This is being overly generous to a man who very likely has screws loose and falls short of a full deck. He is losing the support of his staff, his party, and the minority portion of the electorate who voted for him, the last group being the slowest to figure it out. Not surprising, since even Nixon retained supporters in the electorate right up to and past his resignation.

And all Nixon did was obstruct justice, for the most part. Trump has beaten out Nixon already and will likely continue down his rabbit hole as long as he's in office. What happens to him once he leaves is anyone's guess, but remember that Nixon required a pardon from Ford to avoid slammer time. I don't think that's going to happen with Trump because he uckfays too many people around him in the uttbay.

That's not good in both business and politics. About the only thing nice left for me to say about Trump is:

Thanks for making it easy, relatively speaking, to get rid of you. At this rate, you'll be a bad memory by Labor Day, if not the Fourth. Then we'll get a conservative POTUS replacement, true, but hopefully a sane one. Maybe less clumsy than Ford was? However the timing works out, it behooves the GOP to get rid of Trump ASAP in order to salvage something in the 2018 election season. If this gets drawn out for years, like with Nixon, it'll help turn Congress over to the Demos, both houses probably. And the stain that Trump leaves on the GOP will look a billion times worse than Horn Dog Willie's on the blue dress.

Then comes 2020 and a GOP with two unmentionable former POTUS's. Or maybe GWB will look better by then? They might let him talk this time. Heh-heh-heh.

+Quote Post
lo rez
post May 22 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #27

Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,616

I will say this for President Trump - his photo ops make great album covers.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post May 23 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #28

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(lo rez @ May 22 2017, 04:28 PM) *
I will say this for President Trump - his photo ops make great album covers.

Ha! And head-banging is so appropriate.

While Trump is in the ME, can we get him to solve ISIS? Manchester would appreciate it.

Had a vision yesterday that Trump doesn't return from this trip. The details of how weren't clear, but could he be called back to his slot in the Legion of Doom? Perhaps drafted into the Masters of Disaster? Or might he hijack AF-1 to Russia (Cuba no longer works for this)? Vlad would get the premier version of the aircraft before the Trump cuts. Pence would be stuck with the backup. There's a Mel Brooks-like movie in this vision. Prezballs? Blazing Bouffants? Young Frankendrumpf?

OMG, nuke football -- suddenly not so funny.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: May 23 2017, 01:45 PM

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post May 24 2017, 11:27 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ May 17 2017, 04:52 PM) *
President Trump has exceeded my expectations. I figured he'd settle in to the long haul like other POTUS's have, but he has gone beyond incompetence to blithering, blathering idiocy instead. This is being overly generous to a man who very likely has screws loose and falls short of a full deck. He is losing the support of his staff, his party, and the minority portion of the electorate who voted for him, the last group being the slowest to figure it out. Not surprising, since even Nixon retained supporters in the electorate right up to and past his resignation.

And there are still large numbers of people who think Obama did a good job. Go figure....

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post May 25 2017, 02:08 PM
Post #30

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Hobbes @ May 24 2017, 07:27 PM) *

And there are still large numbers of people who think Obama did a good job. Go figure....

Yes, what did Obama ever do to give aid and comfort to our enemies? Nothing. Or how about taking health care away from tens of millions? Exactly the opposite. Did he ever invite Russians into the Oval Office and brag about classified information? Nope. Express admiration for dictators? Never.

It takes someone like Trump to pull this off (and so much more), and he's just gotten started. He has the money and the power -- now all he needs is an excuse. Duterte seems to be giving him ideas, and Trump's smart enough to pick up on them. Obama wasn't, not in that way. Just a crying little snowflake girl afraid of the big bad wolf wearing cheesy hats and powerfully long ties, pointing machine guns at him in a friendly sort of psychopathic way.

You go Trump! Political history awaits your imminent arrival.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post May 25 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Member No.: 1,155

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ May 25 2017, 08:08 AM) *
QUOTE(Hobbes @ May 24 2017, 07:27 PM) *

Yes, what did Obama ever do to give aid and comfort to our enemies? Nothing. Or how about taking health care away from tens of millions? Exactly the opposite. Did he ever invite Russians into the Oval Office and brag about classified information? Nope. Express admiration for dictators? Never.

It takes someone like Trump to pull this off (and so much more), and he's just gotten started. He has the money and the power -- now all he needs is an excuse. Duterte seems to be giving him ideas, and Trump's smart enough to pick up on them. Obama wasn't, not in that way. Just a crying little snowflake girl afraid of the big bad wolf wearing cheesy hats and powerfully long ties, pointing machine guns at him in a friendly sort of psychopathic way.

You go Trump! Political history awaits your imminent arrival.

I'm not defending Trump, or comparing him to Obama...merely pointing out the ever present truth that people on either side tend to support their guy regardless. It is far from a Republican only syndrome.

That out of way, are there all sorts of things to question/point out about Trump? Absolutely. I thought your analysis and stance on that was very fair---that he would come in, get acclimated, and from there on, probably be like just about any other President in office. There have certainly been lots of pitfalls in the 'get acclimated' phase. I do see progress, but he had, and still has, a LONG way to go in that department. I thought the trip to the Middle East would be a good indicator of where he is currently at in that, and that trip seems to have gone well. But other issues continue to pop up.

This post has been edited by Hobbes: May 25 2017, 03:54 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post May 25 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #32

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Hobbes @ May 25 2017, 11:53 AM) *
I'm not defending Trump, or comparing him to Obama...merely pointing out the ever present truth that people on either side tend to support their guy regardless. It is far from a Republican only syndrome.

If you're not comparing him to Obama and actually comparing Trump supporters to Obama's, how is this saying something nice about Trump sarcastically or seriously?

Seems to be a subject for a different thread that compares and contrasts POTUS supporters. That would be interesting on a bunch of levels, such as which POTUS lost the most support in the same time frame. Trump seems to be a master at this. He has alienation super powers!

But let's be fair to Trump. It took GWB until November of his first year to get blindsided by terrorism and almost eight years to destroy the economy. It wasn't long for him to turn a budget surplus back into deficits, so by all means, give this Trump guy a chance to do greater harm tongue.gif

Just be patient with us Democrats. You see, we actually believe that Trump & Crew can and will be successfully resisted. We believe that with diligent oversight, we can stop him from really screwing the pooch. I personally believe that his own party will haul in the reins PDQ, since not doing so will allow the Demos to take Congress in 2018, which means that once again we get to clean up the Republican messes.

I'm also thinking that if Trump does try something like martial law, our military, all members of which who have sworn to defend the US Constitution, will refuse to cooperate. Maybe not all, but a significant majority, like 3 million to 70 thousand (300 : 7). Huh, that ratio has historical and numerological meaning. There were the 300 Spartans and the lucky number. Significant in this context? Maybe -- time, she will tell.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: May 25 2017, 07:46 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post May 28 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #33

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ May 25 2017, 03:30 PM) *
QUOTE(Hobbes @ May 25 2017, 11:53 AM) *

If you're not comparing him to Obama and actually comparing Trump supporters to Obama's, how is this saying something nice about Trump sarcastically or seriously?

Seems to be a subject for a different thread that compares and contrasts POTUS supporters. That would be interesting on a bunch of levels, such as which POTUS lost the most support in the same time frame. Trump seems to be a master at this. He has alienation super powers!

But let's be fair to Trump. It took GWB until September of his first year to get blindsided by terrorism and almost eight years to destroy the economy. It wasn't long for him to turn a budget surplus back into deficits, so by all means, give this Trump guy a chance to do greater harm tongue.gif

Just be patient with us Democrats. You see, we actually believe that Trump & Crew can and will be successfully resisted. We believe that with diligent oversight, we can stop him from really screwing the pooch. I personally believe that his own party will haul in the reins PDQ, since not doing so will allow the Demos to take Congress in 2018, which means that once again we get to clean up the Republican messes.

I'm also thinking that if Trump does try something like martial law, our military, all members of which who have sworn to defend the US Constitution, will refuse to cooperate. Maybe not all, but a significant majority, like 3 million to 70 thousand (300 : 7). Huh, that ratio has historical and numerological meaning. There were the 300 Spartans and the lucky number. Significant in this context? Maybe -- time, she will tell.

Corrected the month in which GWB was blindsided by terrorism, September rather than November. I'm off to do my penance now.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: May 28 2017, 11:56 AM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Jan 12 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #34

Sponsor
November 2003

Thank you, thank you, thank you President Trump for running as a Republican and NOT a Democrat.

More thanks for your inability to hide who you really are and rubbing the nation's face in it. We really did need this to turn a corner that has been defying the turn for a very, very, very long time.

If history is getting ready to rhyme with 1976 (Ford vs. Carter after Nixon's resignation), our bicentennial year, Trump's opposite will be elected. Maybe this time the replacement will be better at politics than Carter was. It's for certain that the electorate won't be looking for a born-again, a-hum, again, as that thing has run its course. However, Carter would not have won without Nixon, and maybe Ford, so thanks also for VP Pence who will bumble along after the resignation (or bum rush) until the 2020 season.

Finally, thanks for the really long neckties. If ever I need to wear one again, I'll be able to do the full Windsor knot without ending up looking like a hobo clown. Nope, I'll look like you, except for the gray pony tail, ZZ Top beard, Hofner Shorty guitar strapped on (for sitting in recliner watching reruns and doing scales, arpeggio and melody practice) and rather gaunt body.

+Quote Post
Julian
post Jan 12 2018, 06:43 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Member No.: 496

Party affiliation: Other

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Jan 12 2018, 01:44 PM) *
Thank you, thank you, thank you President Trump for running as a Republican and NOT a Democrat.

More thanks for your inability to hide who you really are and rubbing the nation's face in it. We really did need this to turn a corner that has been defying the turn for a very, very, very long time.

If history is getting ready to rhyme with 1976 (Ford vs. Carter after Nixon's resignation), our bicentennial year, Trump's opposite will be elected. Maybe this time the replacement will be better at politics than Carter was. It's for certain that the electorate won't be looking for a born-again, a-hum, again, as that thing has run its course. However, Carter would not have won without Nixon, and maybe Ford, so thanks also for VP Pence who will bumble along after the resignation (or bum rush) until the 2020 season.

Finally, thanks for the really long neckties. If ever I need to wear one again, I'll be able to do the full Windsor knot without ending up looking like a hobo clown. Nope, I'll look like you, except for the gray pony tail, ZZ Top beard, Hofner Shorty guitar strapped on (for sitting in recliner watching reruns and doing scales, arpeggio and melody practice) and rather gaunt body.

That's ok, he's only alienating the whole of Africa - and a bunch of other places, not uncoincidentally those whose majority populations are not white Protestants - by wondering why immigrants from "shi!tty countries" want to come and not people from Norway.

Here's a clue, Donald - most Norwegians look at you what you're doing to America, then they look at Norway and they think, in terms of their relative resemblance to ordure, that their country looks a lot less like a fresh steaming pile than yours does.

But, panic not - the latest snowflake straw to be clutched at is the idea of President Winfrey. Why not save the trouble of those pesky elections and just have a reality TV show and then a phone vote (with proceeds to charity of the winner's choice, obviously not to the network running the show. OH no. Never that.)? I don't doubt for a second that Oprah or Ron Perlman or Kanye any of the myriad other celebrity liberals have threatened to run against the Donald next time out would make a better president than someone who can't even work out how to cross his hands to sing Auld Lang Syne, but really, America? Is that the level you've sunk to now?

Is it too much to ask for someone with experience of actually running anything? Other than their daddy's business, into the ground?

If Brexit wasn't such a source of angst over here, I'm sure the Brits would be paying much more attention to the West Wing: Dementia Hospital storyline as it plays out, but we have enough idiots in places of power over here to keep ourselves occupied.

FFS - Trump has even today called off his state visit to the UK because he doesn't want to open an embassy building (in the capital of one of his main international allies, of long standing) he doesn't like. Nothing to do with the fact it won't be a pomp and circumstance, scarlet tunic and bearskin, gilded carriage and stockinged footman, full state occasion. Nor to do with the fact his visit would be greeted by the largest peacetime gathering of people coming together to laugh and point at a naked emperor since the fevered dreams of Hans Christian Andersen came up with the idea. (We're British, we wouldn't riot - not too much - , we'd mostly just laugh and point. Humiliation is a much more powerful tool than violence over here. At least, I hope it still is...)

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Jan 12 2018, 11:59 PM
Post #36

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Julian @ Jan 12 2018, 02:43 PM) *
That's ok, he's only alienating the whole of Africa - and a bunch of other places, not uncoincidentally those whose majority populations are not white Protestants - by wondering why immigrants from "shi!tty countries" want to come and not people from Norway.

Here's a clue, Donald - most Norwegians look at you what you're doing to America, then they look at Norway and they think, in terms of their relative resemblance to ordure, that their country looks a lot less like a fresh steaming pile than yours does.

But, panic not - the latest snowflake straw to be clutched at is the idea of President Winfrey. Why not save the trouble of those pesky elections and just have a reality TV show and then a phone vote (with proceeds to charity of the winner's choice, obviously not to the network running the show. OH no. Never that.)? I don't doubt for a second that Oprah or Ron Perlman or Kanye any of the myriad other celebrity liberals have threatened to run against the Donald next time out would make a better president than someone who can't even work out how to cross his hands to sing Auld Lang Syne, but really, America? Is that the level you've sunk to now?

Is it too much to ask for someone with experience of actually running anything? Other than their daddy's business, into the ground?

If Brexit wasn't such a source of angst over here, I'm sure the Brits would be paying much more attention to the West Wing: Dementia Hospital storyline as it plays out, but we have enough idiots in places of power over here to keep ourselves occupied.

FFS - Trump has even today called off his state visit to the UK because he doesn't want to open an embassy building (in the capital of one of his main international allies, of long standing) he doesn't like. Nothing to do with the fact it won't be a pomp and circumstance, scarlet tunic and bearskin, gilded carriage and stockinged footman, full state occasion. Nor to do with the fact his visit would be greeted by the largest peacetime gathering of people coming together to laugh and point at a naked emperor since the fevered dreams of Hans Christian Andersen came up with the idea. (We're British, we wouldn't riot - not too much - , we'd mostly just laugh and point. Humiliation is a much more powerful tool than violence over here. At least, I hope it still is...)

Well, I do want to thank the Democratic Party for not running celebrities as much as the Republicans, if at all. But our electorate does suffer from celebrity worship enough that the shtick works now and then, never for the better IMO.

The first shock was Reagan, then Schwarzenegger in California, and now DJT. Democrats might want celebrity to run for a while, but the party seems to pull back well before Election Day. We run good old-fashioned rapscallions and scalawags like it should be. Some of them end up doing pretty well, again IMO, at least since FDR and during the civil rights era. Clinton (Mr. BJ) was the closest to celebrity. Obama did stand-up comedy pretty well. But Oprah for POTUS? It'll never fly, especially when she realizes her power would be greatly curtailed as a politician.

Oh yeah, and then there's Carter, the one who showed us all what a rich white guy can accomplish outside the White House, if he so desires. Best dang Christian I've ever seen, with his words and actions being perfectly in sync and what Jesus would have actually done. But he was a terrible politician, so there's that.

In contrast, LBJ was a really good politician, so much so that civil rights made a huge step forward. His Great Society didn't work out very well, but it did usher in stronger social safety nets. And now that we've gotten a taste of universal health care via the ACA, it'll be near impossible for people like Trump to muck it up -- in the long run.

I'm pretty sure that's why Trump got in -- the last gasp of WASPy wishes in a world turning more brown by the second. It couldn't have happened to a better scoundrel, and for that I am grateful, even sympathetic to how badly this will end for him. It's like watching a slow person crashing through the barricades and off the cliff into the Grand Abyss thinking that he won the race. You know, because everyone else stopped running but him. Oh yeah, and a few of his minions, but those people get zero sympathy from me. They should, and do, know better -- but think of all the shiny toys and elegant clothes and islands in the Bahamas!

Phew, it's getting too ripe in here. Off to watch reruns on Hulu while playing melodies on the Shorty! Keep things in perspective, eh?

BTW, I'm 1/4 Norwegian. My Norwegian grandmother would not let my mother speak English in the house, and my Swedish grandfather on her side let it be. Never argue with a Norwegian, or you might get popped in the nose. Suddenly. And it will hurt like the dickens for a good long time. Also avoid Normegians, as they are a signal that you are no longer in this universe. Normway is where dead cats from Cheers end up.

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Jan 13 2018, 12:08 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: May 24th, 2018 - 11:30 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.