logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> GOP Holds First Straw Poll For 2008, Too early to tell?
Victoria Silverw...
post Mar 12 2006, 09:06 AM
Post #1

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 608

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Green Party

Maybe this isn't particularly meaningful, but it may be of some interest.

Link

The climax of a three-day gathering of Republican activists from 37 states came Saturday evening in Memphis as Frist won an early test of strength for 2008 GOP presidential contenders.

. . .

The shocker of the evening was that Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney placed second, besting far better-known rivals Arizona Sen. John McCain and Virginia Sen. George Allen. Romney finished with 14 percent of the vote.

Third place was shared by Allen and President Bush, each of whom won 10.3 percent of the ballots cast. Bush, who of course is not eligible to run again for president, was the write-in candidate that McCain was pushing through the weekend.

Some questions for debate:

1. How much, if anything, does this "beauty contest" mean for the 2008 elections?

2. Is Frist the "heir apparent" to the 2008 GOP Presidential race?

3. Is Romney a rising star to watch?

4. What was McCain's reason for promoting writing in the President's name as a symbolic gesture? Will he benefit from this "show of loyalty"?

This post has been edited by Victoria Silverwolf: Mar 12 2006, 09:07 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
BornInZion
post Mar 12 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,919

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

John McCain (D, AZ) wink.gif is a media hound, and he seems to have adopted the media's view of the situation. He probably thinks that the constant media references to Bush's job approval numbers indicates that Bush will be on the '08 ballot. The antique media is acting that way, as are most Democrat leaders. Just more party affiliation confusion from Senator McCain.
Cheers!

+Quote Post
RedCedar
post Mar 12 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 5,739

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(BornInZion @ Mar 12 2006, 11:27 AM)
John McCain (D, AZ) wink.gif  is a media hound, and he seems to have adopted the media's view of the situation. He probably thinks that the constant media references to Bush's job approval numbers indicates that Bush will be on the '08 ballot. The antique media is acting that way, as are most Democrat leaders. Just more party affiliation confusion from Senator McCain.
Cheers!

What a hodge podge of candidates!

Frist wins as a right-wing-christian fanatic, Mitt wins 2nd as a near-liberal, conservative, Maassachussetts governor.

I think it isn't relevant for the election but shows that the Republicans are really 2 parties in one. If we actually had true democracy in this country and not tyranny of two parties, these two candidates would face each other in the general election.

+Quote Post
Politaca
post Mar 20 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #4

Junior Contributor

Member No.: 5,763

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

1. How much, if anything, does this "beauty contest" mean for the 2008 elections?
I am not quite sure what you mean by "beauty contest" however there is data that shows that a certain look most often gets voted in as president. People trust people that have a pleasing look. Bush had it, Kerry did NOT. Frist definitely has it too. He is the prototypical politician.

It is hard to tell, but if you remember the excellent speech that he gave at the GOP Convention and his place on the speaking roster for that event, it looks like he has the party pushing for him.

4. What was McCain's reason for promoting writing in the President's name as a symbolic gesture? Will he benefit from this "show of loyalty"?

The Republican Party knows that McCain is a pretty unstable guy and can't be trusted. While he has many loyal followers, he has bashed to party one too many times. McCain is out for McCain.

+Quote Post
BoF
post Mar 21 2006, 04:24 AM
Post #5

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 3,423

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(Politaca @ Mar 20 2006, 10:20 AM)
I am not quite sure what you mean by "beauty contest" however there is data that shows that a certain look most often gets voted in as president.† People trust people that have a pleasing look.† Bush had it, Kerry did NOT.† Frist definitely has it too.† He is the prototypical politician.†

It is hard to tell, but if you remember the excellent speech that he gave at the GOP Convention and his place on the speaking roster for that event, it looks like he has the party pushing for him.

The Republican Party knows that McCain is a pretty unstable guy and can't be trusted.† While he has many loyal followers, he has bashed to party one too many times.† McCain is out for McCain.

MSNBC has its own straw poll. Frist isnít doing well. I think he ripped his pants with his Terri Schiavo stance. McCain is doing very well--34%.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11765003/

I am curious about your claim that McCain is unstable. What is your definition of unstable? Did you simply buy into accusations made by the Bush/Rove machine in the 2000 South Carolina Republican Primary?

íSome of George W. Bush's supporters have questioned Republican presidential candidate John McCain's fitness for the White House, suggesting that his five years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam drove him insane at the time.í

http://www.bartcopnation.com/dc/dcboard.ph...=8&topic_id=522

Note: I will vote for a Democrat over McCain, but I think he's been slandered enough and I will speak up for him when I think someone is treating him unfairly. dry.gif

This post has been edited by BoF: Mar 21 2006, 04:31 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: April 8th, 2020 - 07:41 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.