logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> IMPORTANT NOTICE

This forum is for declared Democrats ONLY. If you have not declared yourself as such, DO NOT post here.

> Thanks for the suggestion..., Relax, enjoy a favorite beverage...
Paladin Elspeth
post Feb 26 2015, 10:37 AM
Post #1

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 721

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Someone made a suggestion:
QUOTE(akaCG @ Feb 25 2015, 09:12 PM) *
Start a thread in the "Democrat ONLY" forum, if you really want to make sure that I'm not "on" it.

I don't want to hog the top of every page.

I've sat in a number of campaign offices munching on Oatmeal Raisin cookies and drinking Diet Coke (My poisons of choice) while someone else drank beer and ate pizza, or had a glass of wine and carrot sticks.

PE and I stopped into one of our favorite restaurants yesterday and learned that they had found my missing cell phone. If I can get someone else to join us, I'll pretend I'm tapping on a laptop in my favorite dining room and describe the environment. Please do the same.

Later, as we relax, we can discuss the declared candidacies of Chris Christie, Rudy Giuliani, Donald Trump and Sarah Palin as though they are serious threats that deserve the financial backing of "The Koch Brothers" and their ilk. (Some dissembly may be required.)

Let's have some fun, have a couple of laughs, and get to know each other...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
droop224
post Feb 26 2015, 01:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,073

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: None

Well I'll make a one ... or two liner since there is a good chance this "debate" gets shut down.

....Too funny

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Feb 26 2015, 03:41 PM
Post #3

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

I'm the first declared Democrat on this thread - YAY!

However, I've not been nearly as active as the thread originator(s) in politics. Never have been an activist of any sort. Isn't it rich that many Republicans fear my influence, tearing down the America that they claim as their exclusive profit center? I find it terribly amusing.

What I've learned recently:

Bill O'Reilly got called out on his fibs and stretches of the truth by everyone who knows anything about his claimed adventures and Captain America exploits. BO got upset and thrashed out at these people, also threatened a journalist trying to figure it all out, as opposed to Brian Williams who had the class to admit his errors.

Yep, must be true that BW is a Democrat too. Maybe we'll see posts from CopterMan. BO needs to get a prescription to control his rage against the truth, maybe something for all that tangled web spinning too.

The Senate proved it has sane Republicans in it by voting 98 to 2 for splitting the immigration stuff out of the homeland security funding bill. Now the House has to respond, and I bet those factually-challenged folks will kill the idea, perhaps hoping that a terrorist attack on The Mall of America will finally convince everyone that President Obama should not run for POTUS again.

Nobody knows who will actually be on the ballot in 2016, but a lot of pundits have convinced themselves that it'll be Hillary and Jeb. The lesson in this is that global warming isn't caused by greenhouse gases but hot air from pundits.

Many people think that American Sniper was snubbed at the Oscars, and that this is due to Hollywood liberals not seeing the greatness in the story. The guy who shot this sniper dead got convicted for murder, and the insanity plea fell flat on its face due to him going to get Taco Bell fake food directly after the shooting. What, sane people go to Taco Bell?

Fox News trashed the career of Jon Stewart. JS responded by replaying some of the FN rubbish he'd covered over the years. This proves without a doubt that FN kills brain cells faster than uncut moonshine.

Shut this thread down before I expire from LMFAO!

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Feb 26 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #4

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 504

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

My favorite beverage these days is Stella Artois. It's the only lager I drink and I even have the chalice to drink it in. Lovely stuff. beer.gif

I only wish I could find a Republican I could call a "favorite." Locally, this isn't a problem, but on a national level it is hard to find a Republican senator, representative, governor of high-ranking official that isn't sucking up to the Tea Party or owned by the Koch Brothers or both. It's very dispiriting to find the only way Dems and Repubs can work together is by not working together. It's unhealthy for democracy.

Not that I'm madly in love with what is called the Democratic Party today. Next year, the choice will be between Hillary Clinton and...uhhhhhh. Now I'm sure someone will rise to the challenge of preventing a Clinton Coronation, but seriously, who can get excited over Martin O'Malley, Andrew Cuomo, Jim Webb, Kristen Gillebrand or JOE BIDEN??? wacko.gif I don't see a Barack Obama waiting in the wings to knock off the prohibitive favorite, but dammit, Hillary doesn't need a walkover to the nomination and I don't think liberal darling Elizabeth Warren is gonna take the bait and jump in the race.

Still, the worst Democrat would be better than the best Republican in 2016. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Julian
post Feb 26 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Party affiliation: Other

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Feb 26 2015, 03:46 PM) *
My favorite beverage these days is Stella Artois. It's the only lager I drink and I even have the chalice to drink it in. Lovely stuff. beer.gif

Those familiar with its effects over this side affectionately call it "Wifebeater", though it is still very popular despite that. Personally I prefer Kronenbourg 1664 if I must drink lager, and pretty much any ale (from the many ales available from craft brewers these days) to any lager. Still, different strokes and all that.

I only wish I could find a Republican I could call a "favorite." Locally, this isn't a problem, but on a national level it is hard to find a Republican senator, representative, governor of high-ranking official that isn't sucking up to the Tea Party or owned by the Koch Brothers or both.

Thankfully, 'republican' over here means someone advocating the removal of the monarchy and its replacement with something more democratic, so I agree with almost all British republicans and like many of them. US Republicans, on the other hand? Well, I disagree with them on most things, but I've never met one I didn't get along perfectly well with in person.

It's very dispiriting to find the only way Dems and Repubs can work together is by not working together. It's unhealthy for democracy.

Amen to that, brother.

Not that I'm madly in love with what is called the Democratic Party today. Next year, the choice will be between Hillary Clinton and...uhhhhhh.

I find it variously amusing, bemusing, and terrifying that there is a strong possibility that the next US presidential election, or the one after that, may very well be contested between a Bush for the Republicans and a Clinton for the Democrats. Media coverage over here trying to find out why anyone outside those families seem to think that's a remotely good idea run out of ideas after 'brand recognition' as a justification, like they're a type of canned dog food or drain cleaner. (I choose my analogies carefully.)

Still, unless the great mass of American citizens rise from their couches, turn off their TVs, and get actively involved in politics (not necessarily campaigning - just turning up to public meetings could be a good place to start), they'll continue to be so ignorant of the actual issues and facts at play, and 'brand recognition' will be the only thing the tempt them into the voting booth. Sic transit gloria mundi. blink.gif

+Quote Post
BoF
post Feb 26 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #6

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Feb 26 2015, 04:37 AM) *
Someone made a suggestion:
QUOTE(akaCG @ Feb 25 2015, 09:12 PM) *
Start a thread in the "Democrat ONLY" forum, if you really want to make sure that I'm not "on" it.

Since akaCG was the “inspiration” for this thread, I think it only right to dedicate this song to him. innocent.gif

With the “pleasant” stuff out of the way, I’ll let you know what I’ve been up to.

Two years ago this coming Memorial Day, I moved in to an independent living community. I don’t get involved in some activities, such as bingo or working jigsaw puzzles.

I DJ for various things about every four to six weeks.

I spend about two to four hours per day reading. During the past year to fifteen months some of the books I’ve read are:

William Manchester’s three volume biography of Winston Churchill, The Last Lion.
Ian Kershaw’s biography, Hitler
Richard J. Evans’s three volume set on the Third Reich.
Martin Gilbert’s The Righteous. This is a book about heroic people who put their own lives at risk to save Jews during the Third Reich.
James a Michener’s Alaska.

I am currently reading S. C. Gwynne’s Empire of the Summer Moon. This is a history of the Comanches, particularly Quanah Parker and his mother Cynthia Ann Parker (a white woman who was captured by Comanches and chose to remain with them.)

Although I like the place there is too much religion, particularly the proselytizing type. One of the more curious events along this line was a Bible study series ”taught” by a man who was the center of Fort Worth’s most sensational murder trial.

I didn’t attend, but after extensive internet searching and reading the three major books on the subject, I think I know what happened

This post has been edited by BoF: Feb 26 2015, 10:15 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Feb 26 2015, 09:34 PM
Post #7

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(BoF @ Feb 26 2015, 02:29 PM) *
I didn’t attend, but after extensive internet searching and reading the three major books on the subject, I think I k now what happened

Hey BoF, nice to hear that you're getting some quality reading time. I took early retirement last August because the freelance writing gigs had mostly dried up, and the remaining ones were not at all conducive to mental health. Right now I'm trying to figure out what, among the personal projects I have, I most want to do or if there might be something else that'd be worth working on.

I am doing more reading than before, stuff that's meaningful to me and not a client. I've always liked Dean Koontz, what he does with the language, but his Innocence novel has to be his all-time masterpiece. The thing is a long prose poem, it's so lyrical and rhythmic. You might find it interesting as an alternative to the traditional apocalyptic story . . . no zombies, sustained suspense, minimal violence, great love story. And as a bonus, the start of the story idea, a short story, is included. That's a very useful thing for a writer, gives me hope because it looks a lot like some of my undeveloped stories.

Anyway, Republicans. Democrats. What's love got to do with it? There, back on topic.

Oh, did I mention the alto sax? Got the #1 reeds on the way (least stiff) for my beginner's journey. Got the legal fake books out. Got the music program installed that will easily transpose, which is necessary for sax due to how music is written for the instrument. Managed three notes with the #2.5 reeds, but they're too dang stiff. Thought I could tough it out until Lydia mentioned that reeds come in different stiffness ratings, #3 and #4 being for advanced players. Cool, thought I was literally going to bust a gut blowing that horn! I need to strengthen the diaphragm muscle gradually to avoid what might be called excruciating spasms, which brings me back to:

Election season 2016, who's it gonna be? Still think it's going to be surprising. What if Michelle runs? Too soon? What if, what if . . . it turns out to be Jon Stewart! Maybe funded by Colbert's PAC? Meh, probably not. No real political experience other than from the sidelines as the jester.

But maybe that's exactly what the country needs. Except he's a non-practicing Jew. No religion? Can't have that, not when a holy war is pending. Can't imagine (heh) no religion.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Feb 27 2015, 12:08 AM
Post #8

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

My apologies to my wife. I went into the computer room in the middle of the night to find the cat sleeping on my computer keyboard. PE's computer was turned on, so I did a CTRL + Shift + P to get to In Private browsing. I logged on as Curmudgeon, I started this thread which was keeping me awake, and I hit the Enter Button...and it went up as her Topic. I made a couple of efforts to report it, but it seems off to a good start.

PE and I have a favorite restaurant which I usually call each day to learn the soup of the day. (They make an excellent Cream of Mushroom soup. Their Cream of Tomato soup recipe was altered as we commented on it. I learned that I was allergic to their Cream Based soups, and now only order the soups that are broth based.) We have a regular booth. About two weeks ago, as I was standing up to leave, I apparently leaned back in the booth and lifted the front of the bench off the floor while simultaneously kicking my cell phone under the bench. They found it yesterday. They have a fantastic private dining room with a massive stone fireplace. We usually order the All You Can Eat Soup, Salad, and Bread. That is what the bill reflects... In reality, I don't like some of the toppings, PE doesn't like one of the toppings which I do. I am allergic to Carageenan, an additive in most salad dressings. We both drink Diet Coke. (PE likes hers with ice, I prefer a lemon slice to squeeze into mine.) I have joked that they need a special icon on their order entry system... We are learning however, that when they are training new wait staff, we are part of the process. We are ushered into the private dining room and placed by the fire. The new staff member is taught how to turn on the gas logs. Some are nervous about getting our order straight, and we assure them that the kitchen staff will handle it well. I am beginning to realize that when they occasionally bring out Balsamic Vinaigrette instead of Balsamic Vinegar for me, that we are likely training new kitchen staff as well.

It is incredible to bring a guest or two, have all we can eat, and leave with a tab smaller than we sometimes pay for dinner for two.

Waitresses, cooks, bartenders, dishwashers, etc. do not tend to vote Republican; even in an area as "Conservative" as this is. (Ottawa County, a few miles to the South of us has not elected a Democrat to office since before Abe Lincoln was elected.) Unfortunately, young people just seem to feel disenfranchised; but we try to encourage them to at least register and vote.

I am cheering for a Republican Ticket next year of Sarah "I stopped construction of the Bridge to Nowhere" Palin and Chris "I stopped the use of an existing bridge." Christie. flowers.gif

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Feb 27 2015, 03:27 AM
Post #9

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Member No.: 5,438

Politics: Slightly Liberal

Sounds like you are enjoying time to pursue your interests, BOF. Nice to hear! flowers.gif

I have taken my lull in writing projects as a chance to train as a docent for the marine reserve that is just a few blocks from my house. Most of my reading these days centers around anemones, mollusks, cephalopods, and such. It's great fun to watch marine animals aggress against each other for space and food, albeit over a several hour time period. My training is complete next month, after which i will be conducting tours, and hopefully breaking down new research into layman's terms for the community newsletter. It would be nice to make some use of my educational background.

I tried getting into the local politics around here but soon found that the 'old money' types have the system well grasped in their fists. Inherited family influence goes a long way among our collection of small coastal towns in terms of starting new businesses, licensing and permitting, digging new water wells, and other infrastructure needs here. Many want things to stay as they are, growth be damned while the other side wants to build build build. It's a constant struggle, with two steps backwards and one sideways. Pretty similar to the national stage, except perhaps a tiny bit less depressing.

The Republican party is disgusting and the Democrats are stagnating. That's all I've got.

beer.gif We really need an emoti for wine. It's been years since I've enjoyed a beer.

This post has been edited by vsrenard: Feb 27 2015, 03:27 AM

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Feb 27 2015, 04:37 AM
Post #10

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

Curmudgeon somehow posted under my name here when he started this thread. He did report it, but it's still under my name. I changed my political affiliation from "private" to "Democrat" so I can once again post in Democratic Debate.

I am bemoaning the fact that soon we're going to lose Jon Stewart on The Daily Show. I often prefer that to watching the local news at 11. Since someone told The Weather Channel that continually repeating stories (Highway Thru Hell, Prospectors, etc.) is what people watch them for, the Local On The 8s has often been relegated to a running strip across the bottom of the screen which can be hard to read.

We've been sick for the past month and a half and are now feeling better. We are having a hard time waiting for spring. I like drinking coffee with half and half and aspartame (I know, NOT healthy) and Diet Coke. Beer doesn't taste good. I will occasionally drink a crisp glass of moscato. I used to like the mocha frappe, but it's hard to maintain a decent blood sugar level if I do.

I like history, but lately I have been reading a Nora Roberts trilogy about people living in Ireland, the Cousins O'Dwyer. It's purely escape fiction, but after I watch Rachel Maddow and then the murders on the 11 o'clock news, I'm ready for some fiction. It seems that there is little that can be done about the ridiculousness of our politicians and their irresponsible remarks. The networks spend entirely too much time on how outrageous these public figures can be, and so little on how the legislation they craft hamstrings if doesn't destroy the ability of unions to help the working folks. I was pleased to see a local millage defeated 2 to 1. It was for the county snowplowing budget, and it would have cost the homeowner of a $100K house about $76 more in property taxes. But the employees who do the work have been working without a contract, and the county wasn't about to work out one with them. So why should I enable these guys to continue to shortchange their workers?

Anyhow, Curmudgeon and I tend to sleep a lot in the winter. Unfortunately, we get our days and nights mixed up. The increasing daylight with periodic sunshine is promising, and we'd like nothing better than to see an early, real SPRING. flowers.gif

Hope you folks are staying warm with no roof cave-ins.

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Feb 27 2015, 02:41 PM
Post #11

Sponsor
February 2007

QUOTE(Julian @ Feb 26 2015, 12:01 PM) *

Those familiar with its effects over this side affectionately call it "Wifebeater", though it is still very popular despite that. Personally I prefer Kronenbourg 1664 if I must drink lager, and pretty much any ale (from the many ales available from craft brewers these days) to any lager. Still, different strokes and all that.

I've never had Kronenbourg 1664, Sapporo is about as exotic as I get. However, while you're dissing my lager of choice as rank swill to fuel up on before smacking up my spouse, let's see what true beer aficionados have to say about your chug of choice, Julian: Pretty standard mass produced euro lager better than your Carling's worse than Stella hints at that Belgium taste but let’s itself down. Best drunk: If there's only Fosters on tap on a hot day.

So there! We're both beer slobs, not snobs. Fortunately, there are some things we're in complete agreement upon, right Julian?

QUOTE(vsrenard @ Feb 26 2015, 10:27 PM) *
I tried getting into the local politics around here but soon found that the 'old money' types have the system well grasped in their fists. Inherited family influence goes a long way among our collection of small coastal towns in terms of starting new businesses, licensing and permitting, digging new water wells, and other infrastructure needs here. Many want things to stay as they are, growth be damned while the other side wants to build build build. It's a constant struggle, with two steps backwards and one sideways. Pretty similar to the national stage, except perhaps a tiny bit less depressing.

The Republican party is disgusting and the Democrats are stagnating. That's all I've got.

beer.gif We really need an emoti for wine. It's been years since I've enjoyed a beer.

I've never developed a sophisticated palate for wine, but I do enjoy a glass as long as its not as dry as the desert or delectable as gargling paint thinner. sour.gif

Regards your distaste for both the disgusting Repubs and stagnating Dems, I got news for ya, vsrenard. A lot of them aren't too thrilled either with how things are going in Washington and they're right smack dab in the middle of the mess. I'm one of those die-hards who still subscribes to magazines and for anyone who cares about politics, there was fair and balanced article in Esquire where the author spoke with dozens of senators and representatives from both sides of the aisle and they were pretty universal in why our politics are so broken.

"I didn't get elected to Congress to not get things done—most people here want to get things done. I didn't get elected to Congress to make meaningless speeches on C-SPAN and tell lies about people. I didn't get elected to Congress to scare the hell out of the country and drive the sides further apart. I didn't get elected to Congress because I love politics—I hate politics, to be perfectly honest, and if I didn't before I got here, I do now… ."

The man is very angry, about the way his life is going, about Washington, about some things he has found himself saying that he wishes he could take back—he got carried away, total herd mentality, just so juvenile. People in public life should take stuff back more often, apologize more, and correct course more—now that would be making a real statement, maybe even be a breath of fresh air for the public. But he would just be screwing himself, he goes on, because those guys at Heritage Action or Club for Growth or Americans for Prosperity or some other goddamn group with an Orwellian name that thrives off of division and exists to create conflict might primary him, drop $3 million on his head, and he would be dead. And the way his district is drawn, you can't ever be conservative enough. He could get up at one of his town halls and say that the president is a transvestite Muslim from Mars and get a standing ovation. He wants to do the right thing and make a public stand for greater decency and civility in public life. But he can't. Oh, in his own quiet way he does. He has many friends who happen to be Democrats. "No matter what it seems, we don't hate each other," he says. "We are civil, we try to get to know each other, and most of us work hard to find areas of agreement, things that we can make progress on. People are stunned when I tell them that, because from the outside it just looks so bad."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a23553/congress-living-hell-1114/

This is required reading for anyone who's concerned about the MMA fighting American politics have degenerated into.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Feb 28 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #12

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Feb 27 2015, 10:41 AM) *
I've never developed a sophisticated palate for wine, but I do enjoy a glass as long as its not as dry as the desert or delectable as gargling paint thinner. sour.gif

Nor have I, but for cooking I use various white wines a lot. Also real butter, as it makes the batter better.

The cool thing is that the really cheap wines work just as well as the expensive stuff in cooking. Sometimes I'll use the commercial cooking wines to be found near the vinegar in the supermarket, especially sherry. It's more a matter of how much more shopping I want to do, aka convenience.

Just out of curiosity, when has politics ever looked good? I do think we're trying to dress up a garden slug here. It is what it is by definition. Some slugs are uglier than others, but they are all unpleasant critters that happen to do necessary jobs in their environments. Some get out of hand and become pests, thereby needing management (judiciary).

From my perspective, it's just a bunch of younger citizens learning how it works. On the upside, they're paying attention. On the downside, they're shocked and discouraged or heading that way. Some will become cynical; some will redouble their efforts; some will drop out. Others, as I have done, will watch the spectacles from the sidelines. I have known politicians, even lived with one for a couple of years, so I have a lot of respect for those who can put up with it across an entire career. I may disagree with them, but it's a tough path to take.

I did have to put up with corporate politics and stupid political moves. That involved standing up to more than one boss when they wanted me to do something illegal, like rewrite IBM VM to work like IBM MVS, which would have violated highly protected copyrights. Another one wanted me to spy, electronically, on a competitor. Let's just say that the conflicts were highly entertaining for me, the upstart systems guy saying no, no, no, I'm not going to prison for the likes of you. Go fish, nimrods!

Ironically, they paid me off to keep my mouth shut because they believed I had dirt on them, which in a way I did. But isn't this just a gas gas gas?

Politics might not be for everyone, and it is a rather wasteful sport a lot of the time, but like wine and butter in cooking, a little goes a long way.

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Feb 28 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #13

Sponsor
February 2007

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Feb 28 2015, 08:41 AM) *
Just out of curiosity, when has politics ever looked good? I do think we're trying to dress up a garden slug here. It is what it is by definition. Some slugs are uglier than others, but they are all unpleasant critters that happen to do necessary jobs in their environments. Some get out of hand and become pests, thereby needing management (judiciary).

I think that's your cynical side coming out, AM.

Politics may never look "good" but what's the alternative? Civil war and insurrection in the street as private armies and warlords duke it out to be King of the Hill? Politics has always been a messy and haphazard process, but what we have now is poisonous. If politics don't matter why are the Koch Brothers planning to spend a billion dollars in the next election?

The Powers That Be seem to believe politics matters. So should the rest of us unless in the oligarchs we trust? zipped.gif

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Mar 1 2015, 03:59 PM
Post #14

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Feb 28 2015, 12:13 PM) *
I think that's your cynical side coming out, AM.

Politics may never look "good" but what's the alternative? Civil war and insurrection in the street as private armies and warlords duke it out to be King of the Hill? Politics has always been a messy and haphazard process, but what we have now is poisonous. If politics don't matter why are the Koch Brothers planning to spend a billion dollars in the next election?

The Powers That Be seem to believe politics matters. So should the rest of us unless in the oligarchs we trust? zipped.gif

It's not cynical to look at political history and see the truth behind the facades. For example, the Revolutionary War wasn't really a revolutionary war but colonial secession. A revolution would have bumped the King of England out of power in favor of something else, which the French did. We did not have the means to pull that off. A more appropriate name is the War for Independence.

Many other examples of facades and truth not matching up abound throughout world history, not just US history. On the other hand, many great things have been accomplished via politics, sometimes entirely by accident. My politically active lover in the later 1970s was very much like the Leslie Knope character in Parks & Rec, but taller. I was like Ron Swanson back then (also taller), somewhat even today but with less scowling and more laughing (not the Ron giggles). Maybe his playing the tenor sax subconsciously made me want the alto? The difference was that I didn't work in government, never have except for a short gig at Customs, and that was by contract.

I do hear you about money becoming too strong a force in US politics. I don't think that's going to last very long, but if it does, seems money doesn't actually decide elections dependably. That has to be really frustrating for those who believe it should. Regardless, money is certainly necessary to carry out a campaign and to run a government. Without an economic system, not much gets done at all, not in politics or in regular everyday life.

I find the problem that the Republican Party has with attracting millennials to be interesting. The party of old white men (often rich) is trying to convince the younger generation that GOP philosophies are best for them, as opposed to Democratic Party philosophies. That's really difficult when actions show that the GOP works hard to make life for millennials harder, for example making student loans more expensive. Yay profit! Or is it gouging?

And then you start a career and make unlivable wages. Right to work, eh? Yay profit! Don't like it? Start your own company! That's the ticket, suckers.

Point is that actions and words differ, and that's the terrible thing that younger people are detecting in our politics. It's always been this way, and although details have changed, the overall ugliness remains. As said before, I respect those who can put up with it and make a career out of it, and I don't limit that to members of the Democratic Party.

It's a process of maturing. Nothing is hardly ever perfect in life, and when stuff clicks, it doesn't last. However, there can be movement toward improvement over time. Part of the problem is that we are all figuring it out as we go, since unfolding history almost always involves surprises. Who would have expected the Spanish Inquisition, let alone IS/IS/L and other nasty groups? Talk about exceeding expectations, eh?

I knew the Iraq War was a stupid thing to do before it started, and so did you. Neither of us could have predicted exactly how badly it would go, other than having memories of how Vietnam turned out. It'd become a quagmire of some sort, but YouTube beheadings and burning people alive? Torture as a US policy? Domestically, money is speech and corporations are people too? Well, that was bound to happen with a conservative SCOTUS.

So millennials, you will too someday become full citizens like the extremely rich. Meanwhile, vote Republican because . . . and there's the rub. Why? Because you hate Democrats who work to lower the interest rates on student loans and push for lower education costs (free Associate degrees)? Who want you covered for health care? Oh, but don't be fooled. Those guys want you to be enslaved! whistling.gif

So there's a positive look on what's going on. The tired old, and wrong, lines of trash don't work as well and appear to be drifting out into metaphysical ether. Well, maybe except for midterms. That swinging is still mysterious due to not having a whole lot of empirical evidence, and that's from having a secret ballot. It's just the nature of things in a democratic republic, which doesn't clear up the mystery but does acknowledge that we can't know everything.

Other positive things involve winning policy wars, which actually count, versus ideological wars. Examples are gay rights and legalizing pot, which will probably head toward legalizing all drugs as we discover more about how that reduces the addiction problems. There will still be addiction problems, can't be avoided, but at least the prison system won't have so many, ah, tenants. And there won't be black market profits to be made.

+Quote Post
Julian
post Mar 2 2015, 11:46 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Feb 27 2015, 02:41 PM) *
QUOTE(Julian @ Feb 26 2015, 12:01 PM) *

I've never had Kronenbourg 1664, Sapporo is about as exotic as I get. However, while you're dissing my lager of choice as rank swill to fuel up on before smacking up my spouse, let's see what true beer aficionados have to say about your chug of choice, Julian: Pretty standard mass produced euro lager better than your Carling's worse than Stella hints at that Belgium taste but let’s itself down. Best drunk: If there's only Fosters on tap on a hot day.

So there! We're both beer slobs, not snobs. Fortunately, there are some things we're in complete agreement upon, right Julian?

As far as lagers go - which isn't very far with me - yeah, I'm a slob. But generally I much prefer ale and choosing between two mass-market lagers is, I find, much like choosing which breed of dog has the most comfortable bite. Given a free choice*, I wouldn't drink lager at all.

*A free choice, of course, doesn't include not imbibing any fermented alcoholic liquors at all. Obviously. I mean, I'm not one of those peculiar teetotallers one reads about - that would be just weird, wouldn't it? rolleyes.gif

And yes, lager aside, we agree completely on a great many things. You linked content among them.

Where was I? Momentarily distracted, for some reason. *contented sigh*

AAAnyway, I must recuse myself from further participation on this thread, me not being a declared Democrat (largely on the grounds of them not putting up any candidates in UK elections, so it's their fault, not mine).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: September 19th, 2018 - 04:50 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.