logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Bluexit, When liberals give up
AuthorMusician
post Jul 5 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

I'm fairly certain that this article is meant to be tongue-in-cheek:

https://newrepublic.com/article/140948/blue...ump-red-america

Still, it'd be nice if recipients of blue-state largess would express a little appreciation now and then. If there's a legal way for blue states to pull off virtual secession, it'd be quite the wake-up call for red states. So . . .

Why would you support or be against the blue states withholding their funds from the red states?

I wouldn't support it but would like for the truth on this to be known, and maybe the only effective way to do this is to withhold the funds for a short period of time. It'd be similar to the government shutdown that demonstrated to a lot of people how much they depend upon the government for things like customers at their tourist traps near national parks and monuments.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Curmudgeon
post Jul 16 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #2

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

Why would you support or be against the blue states withholding their funds from the red states?

I would oppose it because I have had to work with too many people in my lifetime who claimed that their parents could recall when they owned slaves...in Michigan!

I was watching a report on MSNBC on Friday evening on the state of things in Iraq, where three different religious sects are trying to divide the country into separate nations where no one has the freedom to believe what their mind tells them makes sense...

I believe that I've seen it reported somewhere that the war in which The United States had the most deaths was The Civil War.

Friends and waiters have been suggesting alternate places to live, such as Ireland and New Zealand. I can still recall the religious wars in Ireland in the middle of the last century when Christians were killing Christians because neither side had priests or pastors courageous enough to tell their followers that both their Bibles said, "Thou shalt not kill." (Also, I understand, the same message appears in Sharia Law or the Quran.)

I used to work with members of "The Michigan Militia." They are likely still armed, and still ready to attack Ohio again at the drop of a coin. (Which state was the referee from who called the heads or tails when Michigan State played Ohio State in the last football game?) Wait! Ohio also has to defend against U of M each year?! Michigan has had standing as one of The United States of America for 180 years, and Ohio for longer. We ought to be better neighbors and not trying to squabble over a borderline drawn in the 19th century! Economies change, and I saw one projection where the only arable land in the nation following global warming might be in Northern Michigan. At that point, potato chips may be more valuable than silicon chips!

Let's try to find a way to get along with our fellow human beings, rather than find more things to fight over! Let's look for better futures for children born in poverty than turf wars!

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Jul 16 2017, 05:26 PM
Post #3

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

It has occurred to me that Bluexit could be very meaningful if the blue states that support the red states with tax revenue would cut their citizens' taxes proportionally.

Seems only right, eh?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: November 21st, 2018 - 03:41 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.