logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Strange Combinations That Make Sense, Once you really think about them
AuthorMusician
post Apr 16 2017, 11:38 AM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

During this fifth phase of my music exploration, I've moved from acoustic to electric guitar. The path has opened my eyes to how physics and music are tightly coupled more so than ever before, which made me think of a guy I met in college. He was majoring in physics and minoring in music. At that time it struck me as a bit strange, although the vibrations in air/other media that make up music are indeed physical phenomenons, and of that I was aware back then. Just not to the depth of now.

Yet soul is a tremendous influence in music, and soul (or God or Holy Spirit or any number of equivalent terms) isn't a physical phenomenon that can be measured and analyzed via the scientific method. Yet most people can tell right away that it's there or not and have a sense of the strength of soul presence. There's a genre of music called soul, but I'm referring to the stuff that influences all types of music.

Paul Reed Smith (PRS Guitars) expresses the notion in this TED Talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNzJjlV1TOA

So music and physics might seem to be a strange combination of major and minor studies in college, but ultimately are so closely related that it makes perfect sense.

What other strange combinations have you encountered that have made sense once you really thought about them? Or is the combination of physics and music the ultimate expression of strangeness making sense?

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Apr 16 2017, 11:43 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Bikerdad
post Apr 19 2017, 06:18 AM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 715

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

What other strange combinations have you encountered that have made sense once you really thought about them? Or is the combination of physics and music the ultimate expression of strangeness making sense?

Pickles on Sloppy Joes.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Apr 20 2017, 01:16 AM
Post #3

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(Bikerdad @ Apr 19 2017, 02:18 AM) *

Pickles on Sloppy Joes.

Two food examples:

The first is slaw on pulled BBQ pork, Tennessee style (beer marinade, no vinegar, thin light sauce). It's a lot better than it sounded to this Yankee's ears. The slaw is also the light kind, no mayo or dominant spicing. Served on an oversized bun. Best when from a roadside place out in the sticks.

The second is cranberry ketchup. It doesn't sound good and isn't, tasting a lot like new leather boots smell.

Maybe it was rose hip ketchup? Tried it a long time ago. Shameful waste of a perfectly good burger. Had to eat the whole thing and act like it was good because I was a house guest, and there was the cook sitting right next to me. Or maybe it was a joke. There's something about Minnesota winters that brings out the beast's sense of humor.

Which brings me to the combination of Minnesota and nice. That's one that might make sense until you live there. Nope, still a lot of sadistic types and with beastly senses of humor. Others don't hesitate to help out, just like anywhere else.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: July 15th, 2018 - 08:54 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.