logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> VP Debate, So, what do you think?
AuthorMusician
post Oct 12 2012, 02:35 AM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Yep, it's really simple:

What do you think about the VP debate, 2012?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Start new topic
Replies (60 - 64)
akaCG
post Oct 15 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #61

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Hobbes @ Oct 13 2012, 09:50 PM) *
QUOTE(akaCG @ Oct 13 2012, 04:42 PM) *
The "town folk" will be self-described "undecideds" selected by the Gallup Organization.

Yes, but you know that they have to vet the questions. So, it isn't random already. Who knows if the campaigns get any listing of which questions passed that test? Or that the moderators know which people posed which questions, and hence who to ask to get that question? The flow on previous debates of this nature seemed to natural for it not to be choreographed to some degree. I don't generally go in for conspiracy theories...but then I also don't believe that such things aren't controlled if possible, and, behind the scenes, 'possible' could go a long ways.

Regarding the questions that will be asked at the debate, ...:
Town halls have lost some of their spontaneity. The 80 or so undecided voters chosen for Tuesday's event must submit their questions in advance and moderator Candy Crowley of CNN will decide which people to call on. She can pose her own follow-up questions.

In 1992, questions weren't screened beforehand. Simpson walked through the audience Oprah-style and a producer signaled which person to talk to next, seeking a good demographic mix. She had no idea what each person might ask.

Link: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_...-10-15-04-47-44

+Quote Post
London2LA
post Oct 15 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #62

Century Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 683

I'm pretty disgusted that we are giving "undecided" voters so much power in this election. Given some pretty stark differences between these candidates, the only way I can think to still be undecided at this point in the race is to not know anything about either candidate. "Low Information" voters in other words. I'm glad they are pre-submitting the questions so its not 90 minutes of "show us your birth certificate" etc.

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Oct 15 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #63

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(London2LA @ Oct 15 2012, 02:08 PM) *
I'm pretty disgusted that we are giving "undecided" voters so much power in this election. Given some pretty stark differences between these candidates, the only way I can think to still be undecided at this point in the race is to not know anything about either candidate. "Low Information" voters in other words. I'm glad they are pre-submitting the questions so its not 90 minutes of "show us your birth certificate" etc.

It's only done this way because the "undecideds" represent potential votes for either candidate. You know that. I do think that there should be a less partisan sniping in the questions ("birth certificate" questions being likely ones). I personally think there are very few undecided voters left at this time. I think they've pretty much made up their minds but don't mind getting the attention. The rest of us seem pretty calcified in our views.

I agree with JohnfrmCleveland when he said that Biden won the debate based on the fact that nearly everyone is talking about him, not Ryan. I think Ryan held his own, but he would not answer the questions Biden asked, preferring to sidestep around them. He seemed to have nothing to say about the Republicans in Congress voting down money for extra security for embassies and embassy personnel before the attack in Libya, and this did not look good after his strong criticism of the Obama administration not providing adequate security.

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Oct 15 2012, 06:42 PM

+Quote Post
scubatim
post Oct 15 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #64

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,004

Politics: Very Conservative

QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Oct 15 2012, 01:30 PM) *
QUOTE(London2LA @ Oct 15 2012, 02:08 PM) *

It's only done this way because the "undecideds" represent potential votes for either candidate. You know that. I do think that there should be a less partisan sniping in the questions ("birth certificate" questions being likely ones). I personally think there are very few undecided voters left at this time. I think they've pretty much made up their minds but don't mind getting the attention. The rest of us seem pretty calcified in our views.

I agree with JohnfrmCleveland when he said that Biden won the debate based on the fact that nearly everyone is talking about him, not Ryan. I think Ryan held his own, but he would not answer the questions Biden asked, preferring to sidestep around them. He seemed to have nothing to say about the Republicans in Congress voting down money for extra security for embassies and embassy personnel before the attack in Libya, and this did not look good after his strong criticism of the Obama administration not providing adequate security.

Actually, they didn't vote down money for security; the number included construction and maintenance as well.

Biden exaggerated when he said House Republicans cut funding for embassy security by $300 million. The amount approved for fiscal year 2012 was $264 million less than requested, and covers construction and maintenance, not just security.

Link

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Oct 16 2012, 02:04 AM
Post #65

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative

A behind-the-scenes look:
For weeks, the 72-year-old Olson played Biden during mock debates. During intense 90-minute sessions, Olson mimicked every mannerism of the vice president, from his hand gestures to his sneer.
On debate night, the real Biden was worse than Olson’s caricature. “I thought Ted was absolutely great, but I didn’t think Biden would put on such a show,” a Ryan official says. “Clearly, I was wrong.”
On stage, Biden laughed and harrumphed his way through the debate, and Ryan hardly flinched. He’d smile and nod, but he didn’t call out the vice president beyond a handful of light remarks.

Olson had done his job. Ryan was more than ready to answer the questions, and, thanks to the weeks of badgering by a wise lawyer, he wasn’t unnerved.
After the network cameras cut away, Ryan and his family walked backstage. His staff was there. They clapped and congratulated him. Ryan shook a couple of hands, and then he spotted Olson.

Olson, finally, was finished playing Biden. To celebrate, Ryan gave the litigator a hearty hug.

Link: http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/330...gy-robert-costa

Heh.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: September 20th, 2018 - 10:37 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.