logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> What are you currently listening to?, Song-wise, that is
akaCG
post Feb 14 2011, 04:33 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

As of the last two days or so, I've been bewitched, bothered, and bewildered by Fiona Apple's version of "Why Try To Change Me Now?". I'm almost pretty sure that I'm almost ready to decide that I almost like her version of it better than Frank Sinatra's.

Aw, heck. Enough pussyfooting. 'Far as I'm concerned, hers blows Frank's version away.

So, without further ados, ...

Here she is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uf1n1wUfxE

Anyways, ...

Question(s):

Have you been "obsessing" about any songs lately? If so, care to share?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Start new topic
Replies (60 - 79)
akaCG
post Dec 25 2014, 02:48 AM
Post #61

Sponsor
August 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZ-o37A15A

+Quote Post
Dontreadonme
post Dec 25 2014, 02:59 AM
Post #62

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 359

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Libertarian

Right now, I'm digging the band fronted by the son of my co-worker.

Bad Mooka

Apparently, they have recently disbanded.

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Dec 26 2014, 04:44 PM
Post #63

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 504

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

"Bombshell" by Powerman 5000. Rock out. drumroll.gif

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Dec 26 2014, 06:39 PM
Post #64

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

We slept in today. I turned the television on long enough to see that it was dry and above freezing and likely to stay there. I let the dog out several hours ago and sat down at my computer to go through my daily mental exercises. As I was preparing to shut my computer down, I noticed that I have apparently been listening to the background music that we play on PE's PC to keep the dog calm at night. I think it is titled something like "Classical excerpts for babies. I likely picked it up for 50 cents at Valueland.

I purchased a set of headphones for my computer and misplaced them. I found a cheap pair of speakers that I had on my desk for a couple of months, but never found the energy to plug them in... I think that I have purchased 2 LPs lifetime, but never invested in a record player. When we purchased a car with a CD player, we started to purchase CD's; but when we're on the road, PE usually just hits the seek button until she lands on a radio station that she wants to listen to... I think that I only tuned in A Prairie Home Companion 3 or 4 times in the past year.

I spent most of my working years working maintenance in a factory. Silence wakes me from a sound sleep, but I can ignore virtually any background noise.

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Dec 26 2014, 06:43 PM

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Dec 27 2014, 02:17 AM
Post #65

Sponsor
August 2012

Earlier today, as he and his family were just about to board their plane back home from visiting me and mine over Christmas, a good friend of mine (he and I have been "razzing" each other over organized religion and such over the years; he and his wife, children, parents, grandparents, etc., are observant Catholics all; I'm an observing atheist) emailed me a link to the following YouTube video of an initial audition on Voice of Italy from last spring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_0n_3hSl8

Hope all y'all enjoy it as much as I did.

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Dec 27 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #66

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 225

Party affiliation: Private

QUOTE(akaCG @ Aug 28 2012, 09:29 PM) *
J.J. Cale and Eric Clapton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WUeOEkl270

Aaaaah ... yeah, baby.

Curious who one might share a musical taste with.

However I suspect this would establish some cultural distance. flowers.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQbXO828Vio

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Dec 28 2014, 03:30 AM
Post #67

Sponsor
August 2012

QUOTE(Dingo @ Dec 27 2014, 02:14 PM) *

Aaaaah ... yeah, baby.

Curious that, upon discovering that you and I both enjoy J.J.Cale and Eric Clapton playing together, you immediately felt the need to compensate for that realization by attempting to find some way to place "some cultural distance" between ourselves.

How sad.

EDITED TO ADD:

But hey, at the very least, this ends up providing everybody with yet another chance to once again enjoy the rare opportunity to hear/see J.J.Cale and Eric Clapton playing together.

Mighty good, that.

This post has been edited by akaCG: Dec 28 2014, 03:49 AM

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Dec 28 2014, 04:08 AM
Post #68

Elite Senior Contributor

QUOTE(akaCG @ Dec 27 2014, 07:30 PM) *
QUOTE(Dingo @ Dec 27 2014, 02:14 PM) *

Aaaaah ... yeah, baby.

Curious that, upon discovering that you and I both enjoy J.J.Cale and Eric Clapton playing together, you immediately felt the need to compensate for that realization by attempting to find some way to place "some cultural distance" between ourselves.

How sad.

How funny. Sorry you missed the humor. wink.gif

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Dec 28 2014, 04:04 PM
Post #69

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

It's not so much what music I'm passively listening to but the stuff that I'm making.

I've always loved the blues and old jazz, meaning up to the 1950s. It's very cool that Hulu carries all of the Peter Gunn episodes, lots of good jazz in there.

So, in my golden (heh, that's a huge euphemism) years, I'm taking another look at the basics of blues via an 8-disc DVD lesson series. It's entitled Learn & Master Blues Guitar with Steve Krenz. Bought it at MusiciansFriend.com, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere.

I've worked with a lot of lesson tapes and DVDs along the way, picking up little techniques here and there. Krenz is a phenomenal teacher who shows advanced stuff along with the basics, just puts it in there for we who are reviewing. It's a lot richer than I expected.

He uses an electric guitar for teaching, but it all transfers to classical as well.

Otherwise, what do I listen to these days? Whatever is on the radio at the time or late night TV. Modern music mostly depresses me. It's as if syncopation was thrown away in favor of monotonous rhythms and irritating melodies. Yep, it's age. I'm not supposed to like the new stuff, and so I don't.

But I did like the hit FUN. put out. Good ballad for the youth of the world being young.

Can't even guess how much money I've put into music over the decades. Lots of LPs, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs and MP3s. Then there are many guitars, harmonicas, dulcimers of the mountain and hammered varieties, funky instruments from Dead Head shops, a few keyboards. When it comes down to it, the classical guitar is still my absolute favorite for the richness of tone and ease of playing, relatively speaking. First playable guitar was a borrowed classical from a girlfriend who later became a luthier. Very first guitar was a Kay from Sears, a Christmas present. It was a cheese cutter, and the neck warped. Could only manage a few first-position chords.

Back to the blues lessons -- still have an Epiphone Sheraton (like BB King's Lucile but lots cheaper and natural finish), so putting light strings on it will let me do the stuff that electrics allow, should the urge ever come along. Right now there are medium flatwounds on it, installed back when adventures in double jointedness wasn't a problem. Nothing like watching your index finger extend way beyond what's normal, straight up from the knuckle.

+Quote Post
Trouble
post Jan 1 2015, 03:54 AM
Post #70

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 1,142

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: None

Pre fender bending kerfluffle, Hungry Ghosts, post, WhiskeyDick.

This post has been edited by Trouble: Jan 1 2015, 04:02 AM

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Jan 3 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #71

Elite Senior Contributor

On another site I developed a kind of internet friendship with a medium famous blues player. He offered some terrific posts and shared some of his fascinating life and radical political perspective. He tagged his name as 'Watermellon Slim' which told you right off the bat that he was probably white. It's hard to imagine a black blues player calling himself Watermellon anything.

Here's a good piece by him - Smokestack Lightning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeMRIu43qjg

+Quote Post
net2007
post Jan 11 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #72

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 7,629

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

Bruce Hornsby & the Range - Mandolin Rain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDgOwX72fLI

Bruce Hornsby & the Range - The Way It Is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlRQjzltaMQ

I love this stuff, such good classics. He can really play the piano.

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Jan 20 2015, 02:48 AM
Post #73

Sponsor
August 2012

So, I was doin' my usual daily WWW surfin' and roamin' today, and, in a roundabout way, came across ...

Frank "Mr. Rat Pack" Sinatra's mid-career voice doing wondrous things with ... well, the most fitting term that comes to mind at the moment is ... a spiritual: "Stay With Me".

Wow. Beautiful composition, beautiful lyrics, beautifully sung.

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Feb 2 2015, 01:38 AM
Post #74

Sponsor
August 2012

Just started putting together a musical gift for a really close friend of the family who'll be turning 75 in a couple of months or so: 75 songs that I think she'll enjoy, each sung by a woman, one song for each year, starting with 1940 and ending with 2015.

Tonight, while I was exploring/listening to songs, I came across ...

Sarah Vaughan, singing "Black Coffee" in 1949: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC1E01qb4_Y

ps:
Man oh man! Even when she was just doing "mmmmmm ...", she was better at it than just about anyone else. What a dame!

+Quote Post
BoF
post Feb 9 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #75

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

At independent living retirement community where I reside, I have been given the honorary title “House DJ.” On Saturday, Valentine's Day, I’ll be playing some non-mushy love songs. By that I mean that love is just as often difficult as not.

One of the songs I’ll be playing is one Solomon Burke wrote and recorded in 1964—“Everybody Needs Somebody to Love.”

Also in 1964, early on, The Rolling Stones, always aware of good songs—especially when originally recorded by American Blacks—released their version. In 1967, Wilson Pickett’s version eclipsed Burke’s on the Billboard charts and in 1980 it was part of the Blues Brothers movie.

My Valentine gift to you is the original version. The gospel sound and feeling is obvious. The song is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and #436 on Rolling Stone’s list of 500 greatest songs.

This is my Valentine gift to everyone.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OKAlBC-XWQ

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Feb 9 2015, 11:58 PM
Post #76

Sponsor
August 2012

QUOTE(BoF @ Feb 9 2015, 05:17 PM) *
At independent living retirement community where I reside, I have been given the honorary title “House DJ.” On Saturday, Valentine's Day, I’ll be playing some non-mushy love songs. By that I mean that love is just as often difficult as not.

One of the songs I’ll be playing is one Solomon Burke wrote and recorded in 1964—“Everybody Needs Somebody to Love.”

Also in 1964, early on, The Rolling Stones, always aware of good songs—especially when originally recorded by American Blacks—released their version. In 1967, Wilson Pickett’s version eclipsed Burke’s on the Billboard charts and in 1980 it was part of the Blues Brothers movie.

My Valentine gift to you is the original version. The gospel sound and feeling is obvious. The song is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and #436 on Rolling Stone’s list of 500 greatest songs.

This is my Valentine gift to everyone.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OKAlBC-XWQ

Thank you, "BoF". I really mean it. I had never heard of Solomon Burke, let alone listened to one of his songs as sung by him. Love learning/discovering new things.

ps:
A couple of weeks ago or so, at some point during a dinner party at my place, the conversation turned to the question of ... "Why does Cuban popular music keep being so interesting, while Mexican popular music keeps being so boring?".

My contribution to the attempt on our (i.e. the people at said dinner party) part to find an answer to said question (paraphrased, "boiled down", etc.):

For the same reason that Brazilian popular music keeps being more interesting than Argentinian popular music: The former has lots of Black "blood" running through its "veins", while the latter has virtually none.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Feb 11 2015, 01:23 PM
Post #77

Sponsor
November 2003

These piano tunes are strangely interesting in that a good musician can make rinky-dink instruments sound great, even on tunes older than dirt:

http://www.goodoldsongs.com/

Caution: You must be over 55 years old to visit this site tongue.gif

Listening to this stuff brings me back to basement bars, frosted mugs, rum-soaked cigars, and stud poker with nothing wild.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Feb 18 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #78

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Member No.: 598

My nephew. smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ATJ2KfG57c...eature=youtu.be

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Feb 18 2015, 08:23 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Feb 19 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #79

Sponsor
November 2003

QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ Feb 18 2015, 04:21 PM) *

Very nice. The vocal reminded me of Mellencamp, Young without the falsetto, and Dylan without the nasal stuff and on key.

But where's the cowbell? I gotta have more cowbell! wink.gif

True confession: As a teenager I liked cowbell a lot and was friends with a band who used it extensively. Nothing like Smoke on the Water with added cowbell throughout, nothing at all and for good reason rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Feb 19 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #80

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Member No.: 598

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Feb 19 2015, 10:31 AM) *
True confession: As a teenager I liked cowbell a lot and was friends with a band who used it extensively. Nothing like Smoke on the Water with added cowbell throughout, nothing at all and for good reason rolleyes.gif

Heh, I played cymbals when I was a teen.

Cowbell bell is to cymbal as emmentaler is to cheese wiz.
(tales of teenhood brought back memories of those dreaded SAT verbal analogies…)

flowers.gif

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Feb 19 2015, 04:18 PM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: December 17th, 2018 - 01:34 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.