logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Steve Bannon, Trump guru
Dingo
post Jan 31 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #1

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 225

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Private

Steve Bannon, at least by reputation, seems to be emerging as President Trump's most influential advisor. A self-described "Leninist" who seems to want to overthrow the existing political order his history seems to be one of roughly moving from left to right, well his own version of it. He still seems a bit opaque to me so I'd like to get others thoughts on his views and influence. Here is a wikipedia background piece on him as a kickoff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bannon

Bannon was a founding member of the board of Breitbart News,[45] a far-right[3][13][23] news, opinion and commentary website which, according to Philip Elliott and Zeke J. Miller of Time, has "pushed racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-Semitic material into the vein of the alternative right".[13]

In March 2012, after founder Andrew Breitbart's death, Bannon became executive chair of Breitbart News LLC, the parent company of Breitbart News.[24][46][47] Under his leadership, Breitbart took a more alt-right and nationalistic approach toward its agenda.[48] Bannon declared the website "the platform for the alt-right" in 2016.[15] Bannon identifies as a conservative.[49][50][51] Speaking about his role at Breitbart, Bannon said: "We think of ourselves as virulently anti-establishment, particularly 'anti-' the permanent political class."[52]

The New York Times described Breitbart News under Bannon's leadership as a "curiosity of the fringe right wing", with "ideologically driven journalists", that is a source of controversy "over material that has been called misogynist, xenophobic, and racist." The newspaper also noted how Breitbart was a "potent voice" for Donald Trump's presidential campaign.
---------------------------------------------------------
Shapiro, who previously worked for Breitbart, said that he has no evidence of Bannon being racist or an anti-Semite, but that he was "happy to pander to those people and make common cause with them in order to transform conservatism into European far-right nationalist populism",[71] an assertion supported by other sources and by his alluding to Front National politician Marion Maréchal-Le Pen as "the new rising star".
--------------------------------------------------------------
Bannon declared "I'm not a white nationalist. I'm a nationalist. I'm an economic nationalist".[78][81]

Trump responded to the ongoing controversy over Bannon's appointment in an interview with The New York Times, saying, "I’ve known Steve Bannon a long time. If I thought he was a racist, or alt-right, or any of the things that we can, you know, the terms we can use, I wouldn’t even think about hiring him."[84]

Bannon was appointed to the National Security Council in January 2017, as part of a reorganization of the council by Trump.

So give me your thoughts on Steve Bannon's political views and what kind of influence he will exercise in the Trump administration?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Dingo
post Feb 2 2017, 05:39 PM
Post #2

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 225

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Private

So give me your thoughts on Steve Bannon's political views and what kind of influence he will exercise in the Trump administration?

This commentator tries to look at what has emerged from Bannon's leadership and what future direction the Trump administration will likely go due to his views and influence.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/01/bannons-coup/

the most important foreign and national security decisions, meaning those made during a crisis, are going to be most influenced by a far-right rabble-rouser and Trump’s son-in-law, neither of whom has anything remotely resembling international experience. (I don’t count Bannon’s time in the Navy, any more than I count Kushner’s donations to Israel.) And in Bannon’s case, that influence is likely to bend the president toward aggressive, shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later actions with little or no consultation with experts.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Trump’s executive order banning Muslim immigration reportedly was issued without reference to the Office of Legal Counsel in the Exec. Off. of the President, the Dept. of State, or the Dept. of Homeland Security. Nor, evidently, were local-level officials at airports alerted.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
it means that Israel will get everything it wants, without a word of concern from Washington. What a sad joke that Trump expects his son-in-law to craft an Israeli-Palestinian settlement while Netanyahu authorizes more settlements in occupied territory, and applauds Trump’s intention to move the US embassy to Jerusalem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Trump is likely to start dismantling sanctions and increasing US investments in Russia without a resolution of geopolitical issues.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
US policy toward China will be opposite of policy toward Russia. China will be the hard edge of policy: naval buildup, deeper involvement in the South China Sea dispute, support of a Japanese military buildup in contravention of long-established policy, and erosion of the One China policy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
nuclear rearmament will again come into vogue—a reversal of the downward trend of recent decades in numbers of weapons and means of delivery.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
traditional friends of the US will find that friendship doesn’t carry much weight anymore. Mexico’s president and Britain’s prime minister have now discovered that. Alliances therefore will not have the credibility they once had with an unpredictable partner such as the Trump administration.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Feb 3 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #3

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

He's like Cheney, except Trump's mind is a whole lot weaker than GWB's. So Bannon's influence will be that much stronger.

As a result, the general population of the USA will come to understand more quickly than with any other POTUS just how wrong Trump is for the nation. With Bannon's influence, the stink will permeate the entire Republican Party. There's a subconscious part of this that current Republican office holders probably aren't aware of, being rather dense about such things, but they will get a strong indication of it in the coming months. Or maybe it'll be just a few weeks. Time seems to be greatly compressed with this admin.

As for Bannon's politics, he's a true anarchist, hoping that destroying the rule of law will somehow result in a golden age, rather than the actual outcome of The Zombie Apocalypse. Or thereabout.

At best he's a smarmy opportunist. At worst, a psychopathic mass-murderer wannabee. And only Trump would let the guy into the White House as an advisor, so Bannon must do a helluva good job of kissing up.

The psychotic sycophant.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Feb 8 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #4

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Bannon made the cover of Time:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/317599-t...eat-manipulator

The Great Manipulator

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Feb 9 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #5

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

Well, I was trying to pay my water bill online when my computer screen filled with a story: Steve Bannon vs. Pope Francis?! It says in part that:
Bannon believes that “the Judeo-Christian West is in a crisis.” He calls for a return of “the church militant” who will “fight for our beliefs against this new barbarity,” which threatens to “completely eradicate everything that we’ve been bequeathed over the last 2,000, 2,500 years.”

I don't care what this idiot really believes, and I know that Congress cannot pass a law to make him keep his opinions to himself, but they must have some type of oversight of the employees in The White House, and this man needs to be fired!

The Secret Service seized Obama's cell phone when he became President. We are rapidly learning that when the phone rings in the White House at three AM, Donald Dump will be sitting on his throne twiddling his thumbs and airing his nightmares to the Ethernet! The world will be better served when The Scarecrow in Chief is impeached and his advisors are turned loose with a can of yellow paint to mark the centerlines on the nation's highways.

Now that I have vented, it would be nice to see if I can actually get to City Hall's website!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: June 18th, 2018 - 07:26 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.