logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> New Here
Blueburg
post Jan 9 2011, 06:25 AM
Post #1

Group: New Members
Member No.: 11,582

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Hi, I am Blueburg and am new to the site. I participated in a forum for several years that recently limited access to subscription only and most of my fellow participants chose not to go forward. I have missed the debate and exchange of ideas. I am of the liberal persuasion and live in a very conservative community so, my interest is in a civil exchange. I hope to find some interesting perspectives here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Jaime
post Jan 9 2011, 06:44 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

Welcome to ad.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Belshazzar
post Jan 9 2011, 06:52 AM
Post #3

Five Hundred Club

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,406

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

Howdy. I'm still pretty new here, but I think ad.gif is probably the most civil place to discuss politics on the internet (Civil? Internet? In the same sentence? I know, right! w00t.gif) I'm definitely familiar with being ideologically at odds with my community. I was a liberal in a conservative community growing up, then I was a libertarian among liberals in my undergrad years. Now I'm not really sure what I am -- I think I have an internal timer that goes off and initiates a political identity crisis every four years.

Anyway, welcome to ad.gif!

This post has been edited by Belshazzar: Jan 9 2011, 06:52 AM

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Jan 9 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #4

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 729

Blueburg,

I like the name...but that's a story for a different day.

I am a liberal who has never lived in a liberal community. My wife found AD, and sitting at the next desk, lured me in. I have found it a far more pleasant alternative then when I would share a cup of coffee with an NRA member on the midnight shift and listen as he said:
As an NRA member, I know that I have a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to defend MY COUNTRY! If the Russians attack, I should have the right to open the silo on my barn and return fire with a nuclear tipped ICBM.

I fell asleep on the sofa last night. Regardless of what channel I tuned to this morning; I found commentators discussing brain damage, brain surgeons discussing second amendment rights, and one of the two men who tackled a shooter discussing the fact that he hadn't been scared because he was carrying also. Police, with the shooter in custody, are searching for the only potential eye witness that may have gotten away, dubbing him "a person of interest." So, I turned the telly off, headed to my desk, and "MY CAT" (Heidi The Psycho Ninja Trained Terrorist Doorstop) while stepping off my desk, turned my computer on to an update on the story; the Congresswoman had read the First Amendment into the Congressional Record. I decided that I needed to put my half penny's worth of input into that thread, and I found it closed for staff review. (That doesn't happen often.)

Enjoy your time here! flowers.gif

+Quote Post
Blueburg
post Jan 9 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Belshazzar @ Jan 8 2011, 10:52 PM) *
Howdy. I'm still pretty new here, but I think ad.gif is probably the most civil place to discuss politics on the internet (Civil? Internet? In the same sentence? I know, right! w00t.gif) I'm definitely familiar with being ideologically at odds with my community. I was a liberal in a conservative community growing up, then I was a libertarian among liberals in my undergrad years. Now I'm not really sure what I am -- I think I have an internal timer that goes off and initiates a political identity crisis every four years.

Anyway, welcome to ad.gif!

Thanks for the welcome, and by "civil" I mean with a minimum of screaming caps and playground variety name-calling.

+Quote Post
BoF
post Jan 9 2011, 08:54 PM
Post #6

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

Welcome.

So few women post here compared to men, that it's always encouraging to see a new female contributor. thumbsup.gif

I am looking forward to reading your perspectives.

This post has been edited by BoF: Jan 9 2011, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Jan 9 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #7

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

Welcome, Blueburg! flowers.gif

I have been a member here for a long time, and it is good to welcome another woman among the ranks of debaters. Hope you enjoy it here!

+Quote Post
Blueburg
post Jan 9 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Jan 9 2011, 05:59 AM) *
Blueburg,

I like the name...but that's a story for a different day.

I am a liberal who has never lived in a liberal community. My wife found AD, and sitting at the next desk, lured me in. I have found it a far more pleasant alternative then when I would share a cup of coffee with an NRA member on the midnight shift and listen as he said:
As an NRA member, I know that I have a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to defend MY COUNTRY! If the Russians attack, I should have the right to open the silo on my barn and return fire with a nuclear tipped ICBM.

I fell asleep on the sofa last night. Regardless of what channel I tuned to this morning; I found commentators discussing brain damage, brain surgeons discussing second amendment rights, and one of the two men who tackled a shooter discussing the fact that he hadn't been scared because he was carrying also. Police, with the shooter in custody, are searching for the only potential eye witness that may have gotten away, dubbing him "a person of interest." So, I turned the telly off, headed to my desk, and "MY CAT" (Heidi The Psycho Ninja Trained Terrorist Doorstop) while stepping off my desk, turned my computer on to an update on the story; the Congresswoman had read the First Amendment into the Congressional Record. I decided that I needed to put my half penny's worth of input into that thread, and I found it closed for staff review. (That doesn't happen often.)

Enjoy your time here! flowers.gif

Thanks for the reply, Curmudgen. I should have mentioned in my intro that I am from Oregon and not the liberal northern part of the state that gives us the blue state description. I am very familiar with the particular NRA strain that you mentioned. I also went to sleep last night with the events in Arizona on my mind. I was also finishing a book called, "The Book Thief" loosely about a family near Munich in 1942 with a Jew hidden in the basement and the combination of the story and the news from Arizona make for some wild thinking on my part today. I'm looking forward to learning my way around the site. Take care, Blueburg

QUOTE(BoF @ Jan 9 2011, 12:54 PM) *
Welcome.

So few women post here compared to men, that it's always encouraging to see a new female contributor. thumbsup.gif

I am looking forward to reading your perspectives.

Thanks BoF, I am looking forward to learning the ropes and like what I see so far.

QUOTE(Paladin Elspeth @ Jan 9 2011, 01:34 PM) *
Welcome, Blueburg! flowers.gif

I have been a member here for a long time, and it is good to welcome another woman among the ranks of debaters. Hope you enjoy it here!

Thanks for the welcome, Paladin. I hope to enjoy it too and look forward to learning my way around. On the site where I was previously active, women made up about half of the participants. I am distracted today thinking and thinking about the events in Arizona yesterday. I bet it is being discussed here somewhere, I just need to find it. Blueburg

+Quote Post
Ted
post Jan 10 2011, 04:52 AM
Post #9

Ten Thousand Club

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 1,807

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Blueburg @ Jan 9 2011, 01:25 AM) *
Hi, I am Blueburg and am new to the site. I participated in a forum for several years that recently limited access to subscription only and most of my fellow participants chose not to go forward. I have missed the debate and exchange of ideas. I am of the liberal persuasion and live in a very conservative community so, my interest is in a civil exchange. I hope to find some interesting perspectives here.

Welcome Blueburg.

We look forward to your perspective.....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: September 20th, 2018 - 01:40 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.