logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> The Shooting of Trayvon Martin, self-defense or murder?
nighttimer
post Mar 18 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
February 2007

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 504

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

It's been over 17 days since 17-year-old Trayvon Martin died. George Zimmerman, the blockwatch member who shot him has not been arrested or charged.
Trayvon, a high-school junior from Miami who was visiting family in a gated community here, was shot to death Feb. 26 when he encountered George Michael Zimmerman, captain of the neighborhood-crime-watch group.

Trayvon was returning from the convenience store and was confronted by Zimmerman, who had already called the cops to report a "suspicious person" in the neighborhood.

<snip>

Prosecutors, including State Attorney Norm Wolfinger, must now decide whether to charge 28-year-old Zimmerman with a crime. They will likely take several weeks to review the evidence and may do more investigating, a spokeswoman said.

But whatever decision they reach, it won't make everyone happy.

<snip>

At a news conference Monday that was intended to ease racial tensions, police Chief Bill Lee Jr. tried to explain that his detectives simply could not find enough evidence to justify an arrest.

And his office had not — and would not — release a recording of Zimmerman's phone call to police the night of the shooting because it was part of an ongoing investigation, a common practice by law-enforcement agencies.
<snip>

Trayvon's parents set up a petition on Change.org asking the district attorney to indict Zimmerman. The petition has garnered over 200,000 signatures. The FBI has offered their assistance to the investigation.

Protests and rallies are planned next week in Sanford with the Rev. Al Sharpton announcing he will lead one of the marches.

Questions for debate.

1. Should George Zimmerman be prosecuted in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin?

2. Zimmerman is 28 years old, weighs 250 pounds and was armed. Martin was 17, weighed 140 pounds and had a can of ice tea and a bag of Skittles candy. Do you believe Zimmerman's explanation he shot Martin in self-defense to be reasonable and plausible?

3. Do online petitions, protests, outside groups becoming involved and national media scrutiny make it more likely the truth comes out or are they sideshows that only make the situation worse?

This post has been edited by Jaime: Mar 18 2012, 11:03 PM
Reason for edit: Edited to conform cited material to forum rules
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
68 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Maybe Maybe Not
post Mar 18 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,303

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

I think we ought to presume Mr. Zimmerman was justified in the use of deadly force because he used deadly force. (Why else would someone use deadly force?)

(See the Castle Doctrine thread.)

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Mar 18 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #3

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Member No.: 5,438

Politics: Slightly Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

1. Should George Zimmerman be prosecuted in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin?

If the evidence indicates that Zimmerman was not acting in self-defense, then yes, he should be prosecuted. Im under no illusions that I have all the evidence; but, from what has ben released so far, I am strongly inclined to believe that Zimmerman was looking for a fight and manufactured one.

2. Zimmerman is 28 years old, weighs 250 pounds and was armed. Martin was 17, weighed 140 pounds and had a can of ice tea and a bag of Skittles candy. Do you believe Zimmerman's explanation he shot Martin in self-defense to be reasonable and plausible?

The absence of a weapon does not mean a person is not aggressive, on the offense, and a threat. In this case, however, it looks to me like Zimmerman went looking for a fight that didn't exactly materialize. Once he noticed Martin as an unknown (black) man walking in the neighborhood, he called the cops. They told him to stay away, they would take care of the situation. What does Zimmerman do? He follows, in a car. He then gets out of his car and chases Martin down for *looking* at the houses in the neighborhood. What does Martin do? He fights off the guy who has attacked him, and screams for help. I wake up to NPR every morning and this story was playing today. I heard the 911 call where Martin pleading for help, then shots go off. The recording chilled my blood.

So no, based on what is slowly coming out about the story, I do not believe this was self-defense on Zimmerman's part. I am willing to re-evaluate my opinion as other information is disseminated to us.

3. Do online petitions, protests, outside groups becoming involved and national media scrutiny make it more likely the truth comes out or are they sideshows that only make the situation worse?

A bit of both. The story that came out originally painted Zimmerman in a far better light than where he's at now. Was that intentional? Maybe. Maybe it was sloppy reporting. Or maybe it was the national outrage that prompted people to look more closely at the facts.

+Quote Post
Bikerdad
post Mar 18 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 715

Party affiliation: Undisclosed

I don't know. The problem with prosecuting him is there are zero witnesses. Even if Zimmerman decided to pop Martin for kicks and giggles, there's no evidence available to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Which means that the prosecution can very well be a massive waste of public resources.

2. Zimmerman is 28 years old, weighs 250 pounds and was armed. Martin was 17, weighed 140 pounds and had a can of ice tea and a bag of Skittles candy. Do you believe Zimmerman's explanation he shot Martin in self-defense to be reasonable and plausible? I am skeptical. IIRC, the incident did happen at night, which lends credence to his story. His choice to follow is reasonable. His choice to confront is questionable.

Both the prosecution and the defense are going to have the same problem. Knowledge. All of the info about Martin being a fine upstanding boy (true or not) was unknown to Zimmerman.

3. Do online petitions, protests, outside groups becoming involved and national media scrutiny make it more likely the truth comes out or are they sideshows that only make the situation worse? Sideshows. It's going to result in the facts of the case being overwhelmed by the racial rhetoric. The case will become a litmus test for racial views, not a test of the facts of the case. Justice for Trayvon and Zimmerman will be lost in the storm.

+Quote Post
Maybe Maybe Not
post Mar 18 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Bikerdad @ Mar 18 2012, 01:52 PM) *
All of the info about Martin being a fine upstanding boy (true or not) was unknown to Zimmerman.
Do you think we should have any sort of presumption about people we don't know anything about?

This post has been edited by Maybe Maybe Not: Mar 18 2012, 06:56 PM

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 18 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

Morally? Absolutely. Apparently the holdup is that it is his word against..... If that is what keeps him from being prosecuted, it is a travesty. But I don't see how his case would stand up in any reasonable court, if there is such a thing. Exactly what danger did Zimmerman feel he was in? Was he going to get pelted with Skittles?

Not in the slightest. See above regarding legal technicalities. Zimmerman is clearly a racial bigot...there is no other plausible explanation.

I think shining the light is the only way to get to the truth...it would otherwise be easy to bury this.

I'm wondering what would happen if some citizen simply reversed Zimmerman's story...saw him walking around somewhere, called 9-11, followed him, and shot him dead. Given Zimmerman's size, previous history, etc, that would be alot more plausible, and it would probably have public support.

This post has been edited by Hobbes: Mar 18 2012, 07:39 PM

+Quote Post
JohnfrmCleveland
post Mar 18 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #7

Master Debater

Sponsor
September 2009

Member No.: 8,090

Politics: Very Liberal

QUOTE(Bikerdad @ Mar 18 2012, 02:52 PM) *
I don't know. The problem with prosecuting him is there are zero witnesses. Even if Zimmerman decided to pop Martin for kicks and giggles, there's no evidence available to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

What there is no evidence of is that he acted in self-defense. There is plenty of evidence showing that Zimmerman shot the kid.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 18 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

QUOTE(JohnfrmCleveland @ Mar 18 2012, 02:04 PM) *
What there is no evidence of is that he acted in self-defense. There is plenty of evidence showing that Zimmerman shot the kid.

None, other than that he said so. I sincerely hope that alone isn't sufficient, because as you state, there isn't much else to support his version.

+Quote Post
Maybe Maybe Not
post Mar 18 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(JohnfrmCleveland @ Mar 18 2012, 03:04 PM) *
This is what I was trying to point out in the Castle Doctrine thread. It seemed to me some were trying to say that, even when there is no evidence someone acted in self-defense, the presumption ought to be that they did (if they say so).

That "expanded" Castle Doctrine applies only in a person's home (and sometimes car, or place of work), and that's certainly not the case here - Zimmerman actively pursued Martin despite police requests that he not do so. But still - what if this was a case where Martin was on Zimmerman's porch pleading for him to call 911 because of an assault Martin saw going down a couple doors over, and ZImmerman shoots him because he's black and wearing a hoodie?

I'm OK with suspicion of anyone using deadly force. Even cops face scrutiny when they merely draw their weapons. (Right? Or is that just on TV?)

This post has been edited by Maybe Maybe Not: Mar 18 2012, 09:52 PM

+Quote Post
BoF
post Mar 18 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #10

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

The fact that George Zimmerman made 46 calls to 911 in one year, indicates to me that he is both paranoid and unstable. He should never have been a "Watch Captain."

Further, after calling 911 concerning Trayvon Martin, 911 specifically told Zimmerman not to follow the kid.

'This guy looks like he is up to no good. He is on drugs or something,' Zimmerman told the dispatcher from his SUV.

<snip>

During Zimmerman's initial call, he told the dispatcher he was following Martin and the dispatcher told him, 'You don't need to do that.'

But Zimmerman sounds as if he continues to pursue the teen saying: 'He ran.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21...l#ixzz1pVNuDAVu

Instead of acting as a “watch captain,” Zimmerman became a vigilante. He should be tried for shooting Martin. Had Zimmerman followed 911's instructions, Martin would still be with us.

BTW: I am currently a little more than half way through James Baldwin’s If Beale Street Could Talk. The episode with Zimmerman sounds all too familiar.

This post has been edited by BoF: Mar 18 2012, 09:28 PM

+Quote Post
Sleeper
post Mar 18 2012, 11:04 PM
Post #11

Who dat!

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 386

QUOTE(BoF @ Mar 18 2012, 04:26 PM) *
Instead of acting as a “watch captain,” Zimmerman became a vigilante. He should be tried for shooting Martin. Had Zimmerman followed 911's instructions, Martin would still be with us.

BTW: I am currently a little more than half way through James Baldwin’s If Beale Street Could Talk. The episode with Zimmerman sounds all too familiar.

Vigilante is not the right word to describe Zimmerman. He is an outright cold blooded murderer. How Zimmerman has not been arrested is beyond me. Are we back in 1970s Oxford, North Carolina?

+Quote Post
BoF
post Mar 18 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #12

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE(Sleeper @ Mar 18 2012, 06:04 PM) *
QUOTE(BoF @ Mar 18 2012, 04:26 PM) *

Vigilante is not the right word to describe Zimmerman. He is an outright cold blooded murderer. How Zimmerman has not been arrested is beyond me. Are we back in 1970s Oxford, North Carolina?

I tend to agree with you, Sleeper. I used the word "vigilante," because my guess is that is how he views himself. At any rate, he should be arrested immediately and put on trial as son as possible.

This post has been edited by BoF: Mar 18 2012, 11:32 PM

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Mar 19 2012, 02:44 AM
Post #13

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Member No.: 5,438

Politics: Slightly Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

Morally? Absolutely. Apparently the holdup is that it is his word against..... If that is what keeps him from being prosecuted, it is a travesty. But I don't see how his case would stand up in any reasonable court, if there is such a thing. Exactly what danger did Zimmerman feel he was in? Was he going to get pelted with Skittles?

I'm inclined to agree that the version of events presented at present support Zimmerman to be trigger happy as opposed to faced with a credible threat. That said, I am uncomfortable with the argument that just because a person is unarmed (or 'armed' with Skittles, ?!), s/he is not a threat. I am a 125-lb passive-looking Indian girl who regularly takes down men up to 3x my weight. The fact that Martin had the guy on the ground is evidence he wasn't entirely passive here. Though it certainly seems like Zimmerman started the fight and escalated it.

This post has been edited by vsrenard: Mar 19 2012, 03:45 AM

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 19 2012, 03:31 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

There goes his self-defense claim, right? How is deadly force required of someone who is running away from you? If he was still pursuing him, then Martin is the one who could rightfully claim to feel in danger...the guy is chasing him. Anything he did after that would be in his own self defense. So, again....why has this guy not been charged?

+Quote Post
moif
post Mar 19 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #15

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

QUOTE(Hobbes @ Mar 19 2012, 04:31 AM) *

There goes his self-defense claim, right? How is deadly force required of someone who is running away from you? If he was still pursuing him, then Martin is the one who could rightfully claim to feel in danger...the guy is chasing him. Anything he did after that would be in his own self defense. So, again....why has this guy not been charged?

Possibly because... ?

Prosecutors, including State Attorney Norm Wolfinger, must now decide whether to charge 28-year-old Zimmerman with a crime. They will likely take several weeks to review the evidence and may do more investigating, a spokeswoman said.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Mar 19 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative

Apparently the 911 tape was released to the family and lawyers. Sounds pretty incriminating.

Edited to add: Then again, there's no context and I don't know what was on those tapes. EIGHT 911 calls? blink.gif were they all from the same person or were there other calls surrounding this incident? Were they made in response to the shooting or before the shooting? You don't usually get eight 911 calls about a guy going to buy some skittles. Not enough information here.

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Mar 19 2012, 01:05 PM

+Quote Post
Amlord
post Mar 19 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Member No.: 572

Party affiliation: Republican

QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ Mar 19 2012, 08:52 AM) *
Apparently the 911 tape was released to the family and lawyers. Sounds pretty incriminating.

Edited to add: Then again, there's no context and I don't know what was on those tapes. EIGHT 911 calls? blink.gif were they all from the same person or were there other calls surrounding this incident? Were they made in response to the shooting or before the shooting? You don't usually get eight 911 calls about a guy going to buy some skittles. Not enough information here.

I agree that there isn't enough information here. Maybe if we hear the actual 9-11 calls...

We can't take the family or the family attorney's version of events as truth, just as we can't take Zimmerman's as truth. What stood out to me is:

The best account of what happened came from Zimmerman, Serino said. Other witnesses who saw or heard parts of what happened corroborate his version of events, the investigator said.

What else can they go by?

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 19 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

QUOTE(Maybe Maybe Not @ Mar 18 2012, 02:56 PM) *
QUOTE(JohnfrmCleveland @ Mar 18 2012, 03:04 PM) *
This is what I was trying to point out in the Castle Doctrine thread. It seemed to me some were trying to say that, even when there is no evidence someone acted in self-defense, the presumption ought to be that they did (if they say so).

That "expanded" Castle Doctrine applies only in a person's home (and sometimes car, or place of work), and that's certainly not the case here - Zimmerman actively pursued Martin despite police requests that he not do so. But still - what if this was a case where Martin was on Zimmerman's porch pleading for him to call 911 because of an assault Martin saw going down a couple doors over, and ZImmerman shoots him because he's black and wearing a hoodie?

I'm OK with suspicion of anyone using deadly force. Even cops face scrutiny when they merely draw their weapons. (Right? Or is that just on TV?)

The Castle Doctrine specifically applies to one's 'Castle'....because that is supposed to be one's sanctuary, and one shouldn't be forced to leave due to fear. The presumption of self-defense doesn't need to apply outside of those confines. Here's a very simple question that I don't think Zimmerman can answer without incriminating himself: If you felt your life was in danger, why didn't you leave? Why were you pursuing him?

I think this is going to come down to ballistics analysis, and other forensic work that better indicates just exactly what happened. Personally, I strongly suspect that most of that is going to cause problems for Zimmerman's story.

The voice on the tape sounded to me like a kid. They should be able to verify whose voice it was, assuming there is a recording of Trayvon's voice somewhere. If it is Zimmerman, given his other calls, I wouldn't be surprised if he did it on purpose to cover himself.

Intuition tells me that what happened here is that Zimmerman leaped to conclusions, pursued Martin, saw some act of Martin that scared him (maybe Trayvon raising his hand to show him the Skittles), and shot him...then panicked when he realized what it was. It also sounds like he had this self-defense story in mind all along (ie, I can go get him so he doesn't get away, and if anything happens, I can always claim it was self-defense). This is precisely why the police didn't want Zimmerman pursuing the 'suspect'...he is NOT highly trained in those activities, and the chance of something like this happening is far too high. If indeed Zimmerman didn't actually plan this in advance, then it is still a case of unnecessary force being applied for no reason. What crime had Zimmerman witnessed Trayvon committing that required any action at all on his part? None, even according to Zimmerman's own account. He clearly seems to have been the instigator. This reminds me of the McDonald's assault thread, except that in that case it was the two girls who had acted aggressively, and in this case it is CLEARLY Zimmerman.

I'm not big on 'example' cases, but what precedent does it set if Zimmerman 'gets away' with this?

Even if Zimmerman is never charged with a criminal offense, I'll wager strongly that a civil suit will be pursued, and he will lose that one. That is something else I am not big on (civil damages on charges you have been found not guilty of criminally), but in this case it would seem strongly justiified.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Mar 19 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #19

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

I am amazed that the cops are being so lenient in this situation. Zimmerman killed Martin. There has to be a reason for that, and since Martin was unarmed, the reason had better be good. Being stupid doesn't cut it.

Yeah, right, self-defense. And golden monkey eggs fly out my butt.

I bet Zimmerman was expecting trouble, instigated trouble, and killed due to what he himself brought about. I would call that murder, and possibly in the first degree based on racial profiling in that gated community. Zimmerman had likely stewed on the actual break-ins perpetrated earlier by three black men, who had been arrested before this situation, got himself a gun and went out to save the community from yet another loss of material crap, or more to the point, community insult from those nasty black men out there.

Someone has to raise a stink. It looks to me that the cops are going far too easy on Zimmerman. What, no incarceration, no intimidating interviews, no bond hearing? The cops say they don't have enough evidence. Oh, a body and a murder weapon don't constitute evidence? The calls to the police and 911? Good Lord, do they even know what the hell evidence is?

Zimmerman acted stupidly. The police seem to be matching that behavior, and I strongly suspect it's on purpose.

But then this is in Florida. Very little about that state makes any sense to we who do not live there, and to some who write about the crimes that go on down there. Will Carl Hiaasen build a novel off this incident? Name it something like Skittles and Canned Tea?

I'm not trying to make a joke either. There's nothing funny about this.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Mar 19 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative

Just found the actual 911 calls that were released. All but the first were made afterwards, in response to the shooting. It doesn't look good, I'm really surprised no arrest has been made. huh.gif

+Quote Post

68 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: October 19th, 2018 - 04:44 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.