logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> non-intro intro, by access forbidden
access forbidden
post Oct 8 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #1

Junior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,962

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

I don't believe in introductions especially by the person they are about because they cannot possibly be honest.

No one can be honest about themself because no one can be objective.

This means that self-introductions (which are really self-descriptions) by the subject are really lists of superficial aspects and aspirations. We say we "are" what we wish we were.

Likewise a description of a person by another person can never be trusted because that person will also be biased about the subject; and their "introduction" will be colored by their own values will necessarily will be vehicles for their own aspirations.

We know a person by what they do and to a lesser extent by what they say. So to know me one will have to observe my values and emotional reactions as expressed in my posts over a long period.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
JP Cusick
post Oct 20 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #2

Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,134

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(access forbidden @ Oct 8 2011, 12:08 PM) *
I don't believe in introductions especially by the person they are about because they cannot possibly be honest.

No one can be honest about themself because no one can be objective.

This means that self-introductions (which are really self-descriptions) by the subject are really lists of superficial aspects and aspirations. We say we "are" what we wish we were.

Likewise a description of a person by another person can never be trusted because that person will also be biased about the subject; and their "introduction" will be colored by their own values will necessarily will be vehicles for their own aspirations.

We know a person by what they do and to a lesser extent by what they say. So to know me one will have to observe my values and emotional reactions as expressed in my posts over a long period.

It is a virtue to believe other people, and it is a virtue to trust other people, so when one fails to believe or to trust then the lack of virtue is in one self.

To be "honest" does not require being "objective", and many people are honestly wrong - which is a known and acceptable truth since no one has any right to demand or even to expect perfect accuracy from others or from one self.

Plus, a "self-introduction" or "self-description" does tell us very much about the person even if the choice-words are colored and or superficial and or wishful thinking because such things really do make up a person's real identity.

I certainly say that I do not believe anyone can "know me" based on my posting on an Internet forum since the format itself is so extremely non-personal.

If you try to believe and to trust whatever anybody else says or post - then you will find the conversations to become far more interesting and more challenging and more fun too, IMO.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: February 22nd, 2018 - 03:26 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.