logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> What are you currently listening to?, Song-wise, that is
akaCG
post Feb 14 2011, 04:33 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

As of the last two days or so, I've been bewitched, bothered, and bewildered by Fiona Apple's version of "Why Try To Change Me Now?". I'm almost pretty sure that I'm almost ready to decide that I almost like her version of it better than Frank Sinatra's.

Aw, heck. Enough pussyfooting. 'Far as I'm concerned, hers blows Frank's version away.

So, without further ados, ...

Here she is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uf1n1wUfxE

Anyways, ...

Question(s):

Have you been "obsessing" about any songs lately? If so, care to share?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 39)
Raptavio
post Feb 3 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,458

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

"Vale Decem." Anyone who looks that up will know what a tremendous nerd I'm being at the moment.

Anyone who doesn't need to look that up is also a tremendous nerd.

+Quote Post
lo rez
post Feb 3 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #22

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 10,616

Politics: Liberal

still not ginger!

I'm enjoying David Bowie's 'Stage' right now.

This post has been edited by lo rez: Feb 3 2012, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Feb 3 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #23

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Member No.: 5,438

Politics: Slightly Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

Right now, Billy Talent (Canadian punk).

+Quote Post
entspeak
post Feb 3 2012, 06:02 PM
Post #24

Mammal

Sponsor
May 2007

Member No.: 2,568

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

Also currently diggin' on Fink.

+Quote Post
skeeterses
post Feb 23 2012, 03:02 AM
Post #25

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 5,233

Politics: Undisclosed

Over the past few weeks, I came across some old NES tunes on youtube, and at this moment am listening to the Treasure Room tune from Gauntlet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txvhKtDF1SA...feature=related
sten to.

If anyone here has a good ear for recognizing music, I am wondering if you might be able to write some of the old NES songs onto sheet music so that people like myself who are learning about music can play the songs on guitar or piano. Other people have already written out the music sheets for Super Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

+Quote Post
BaphometsAdvocat...
post Feb 23 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #26

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 5,535

Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Thanks to Spotify a lot of different things but The Eagles of Death Metal and Danko Jones keep showing up on my Queue

+Quote Post
akaCG
post Mar 18 2012, 07:51 PM
Post #27

Sponsor
August 2012

Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative

The "Brasil Project I" version of the Toots Thielemans jazz classic, "Bluesette". Toots (harmonica and whistling) is accompanied by all of the artists on the album.

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0KkkHtxS4Q

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Mar 19 2012, 04:48 AM
Post #28

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative

Rise Against. They are amazing, I like everything they play.

One of my favorites.

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Mar 19 2012, 04:52 AM

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Mar 19 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #29

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 504

Party affiliation: Undisclosed

I'm on the job and listening to the new Esperanza Spalding album, Radio Music Society.

Not loving it either. wacko.gif

+Quote Post
pheeler
post Mar 19 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #30

Professional Chem Nerd

Sponsor
October 2003

Member No.: 925

QUOTE(Mrs. Pigpen @ Mar 18 2012, 08:48 PM) *
Rise Against. They are amazing, I like everything they play.

One of my favorites.

Amen! I have loved Rise Against since Siren Song of the Counter Culture came out. Appeal to Reason is far and away the best punk album released in the last decade (American Idiot is not punk, sorry).

I know you also like Social D and Mike Ness, have you heard anything by Nothington or Red City Radio? They have that punk/folk feel. Gaslight Anthem is another band you might absolutely love, basically Springsteen turned into punk songs.

QUOTE(quarkhead)
Brother Ali - this guy has an outrageous flow.

"If I'm a die whether or not I try I might as well let the dice fly"

Outrageous is spot on. He and Sage Francis are neck and neck in my mind for the most profound lyricists in hip hop.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Mar 19 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #31

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

QUOTE(nighttimer @ Mar 19 2012, 12:34 PM) *
I'm on the job and listening to the new Esperanza Spalding album, Radio Music Society.

Not loving it either. wacko.gif

If I were still om the job, and still sitting in an office next to the guy who used to be my boss (story for another day)... I would be listening to Rush Limbaugh.

Retirement is so nice. I am listening to the click of PE's keyboard...and a pet dove telling the cat, "I own the house! (The cat likes to lay on top of the dove's cage, and the dove likes to peck at the cat's paws through the cage.)

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Mar 19 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #32

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Member No.: 5,438

The Battlestar Galactica soundtrack. I love Bear McCreary. Up next: sound track to How to Train A Dragon.

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Mar 19 2012, 11:49 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative

QUOTE(pheeler @ Mar 19 2012, 01:30 PM) *
Amen! I have loved Rise Against since Siren Song of the Counter Culture came out. Appeal to Reason is far and away the best punk album released in the last decade (American Idiot is not punk, sorry).

I agree on both counts. I'm actually surprised that Rise Against isn't more popular, they are so phenomenal...so many great original songs I didn't tire of hearing them again and again through virtually an entire cross country car trip.

I know you also like Social D and Mike Ness, have you heard anything by Nothington or Red City Radio? They have that punk/folk feel. Gaslight Anthem is another band you might absolutely love, basically Springsteen turned into punk songs.

Social D is my favorite band thanks so much for the recommendations! I hadn't heard of any of those. Now that my son is a teenager, he's actually the one who turned me on to Rise Against, I'll steer him in the direction of those as well....

flowers.gif

Edited: Just started listening to Gaslight Anthem on Youtube and love it already!!

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Mar 20 2012, 12:17 AM

+Quote Post
Alan Wood
post Mar 20 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #34

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Member No.: 95

Politics: Independent

Love Mark Knoffler especially the theme from "Local Hero" and listening now at 50w until she who must be obeyed gets home.
Queen...Van-Halen...and last but not least Bach.
My son sees me as a decrepid teenager.
My Wife sees me as deaf wub.gif

Regards...Roo

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Mar 20 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #35

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

QUOTE(Alan Wood @ Mar 20 2012, 05:39 AM) *
Love Mark Knoffler especially the theme from "Local Hero" and listening now at 50w until she who must be obeyed gets home.
Queen...Van-Halen...and last but not least Bach.
My son sees me as a decrepid teenager.
My Wife sees me as deaf wub.gif

Regards...Roo

Yep, eclectic is good. I've been catching up on the various people who play during A Prairie Home Companion. Love or hate Keillor, he does attract a lot of different quality acts, and the archives have improved tremendously in sound quality and continuity. There are vids now too.

Think it was a couple of months ago that Leo Kottkey played with Pat Donohue, two monster guitarists from my neck of the woods (childhood and young adulthood). Neither can sing worth spit, but still they do. I can't sing worth squat either, so it feels like home.

Mostly though, I've been listening to the white sound of a space heater this winter. Can't write when music is playing; can't play music while writing -- not enough arms, hands and fingers.

Here's something interesting: Lydia is a classically trained pianist who can't play piano after working at the computer for hours, and vice versa. It takes time for the finger memories to clear. However, I don't have any trouble switching from computer to guitar and back again. I think that's because the guitar is nothing like a QWERTY keyboard, but a piano is. Sort of. Black keys, you know.

+Quote Post
Trouble
post Mar 21 2012, 07:20 AM
Post #36

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 1,142

Politics: Moderate

Currently, I am exploring dubstep with mixed results. Some of the mixers aren't bad. Freestylers Cracks (Ft. Belle Humble) (Flux Pavilion Remix) is good and so is some of the Bassnectar stuff.

For more introspective moods I am listening to Sarah Blackwood - Drowning.

This post has been edited by Trouble: Mar 21 2012, 07:23 AM

+Quote Post
quarkhead
post Mar 21 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #37

Group Icon

Original Sufferhead

Sponsor
February 2003

Member No.: 328

I've been digging The Barr Brothers.

I've been learning the art of flatpicking on my trusty old Martin, so I've been listening to a lot of Norman Blake, Tony Rice, and of course Doc Watson.

Then there's this guy. My wife is in love with him.

+Quote Post
JohnfrmCleveland
post Mar 21 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #38

Master Debater

Sponsor
September 2009

Member No.: 8,090

(Those of you who don't have kids will probably find this pretty pathetic, so just skip to the next post. Thanks.)

When my girls were babies, I was able to inundate them with pretty much anything I wanted to. They were put to sleep every night - for years - with Jack Johnson, Corinne Bailey Rae, Jim Croce, The Lovin' Spoonful, Chopin, and a great classical guitar sampler I got off Amazon for 99 cents. All quiet, sleepytime music, but good stuff. It was kind of my experiment to see if I could somehow skip over the kiddie music phase and maybe move directly into, I suppose, pop.

Now they are 5 and 7, and my experiment has failed, at least partially. They still like the artists who put them to sleep, but Daddy's influence has lost major ground to Nickelodeon, Disney, and the whole media machine. Now when I'm driving them around, it's Justin Bieber, the Yo Gabba Gabba album (which, actually, features some pretty cool artists), Taylor Swift, etc. They know the songs by Victoria Justice and Big Time Rush, owing to their constant play on Nickelodeon. And last week, when they went to the library with Grandma, they came home with a Hannah Montana CD, which I consider the low point of this whole process. I really hope that one doesn't catch on.

But I have to admit, that Bieber kid can really sing. And if it makes my girls smile, he's OK with me.

+Quote Post
moif
post Mar 21 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #39

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

QUOTE(JohnfrmCleveland @ Mar 21 2012, 04:01 PM) *
(Those of you who don't have kids will probably find this pretty pathetic, so just skip to the next post. Thanks.)

When my girls were babies, I was able to inundate them with pretty much anything I wanted to. They were put to sleep every night - for years - with Jack Johnson, Corinne Bailey Rae, Jim Croce, The Lovin' Spoonful, Chopin, and a great classical guitar sampler I got off Amazon for 99 cents. All quiet, sleepytime music, but good stuff. It was kind of my experiment to see if I could somehow skip over the kiddie music phase and maybe move directly into, I suppose, pop.

Now they are 5 and 7, and my experiment has failed, at least partially. They still like the artists who put them to sleep, but Daddy's influence has lost major ground to Nickelodeon, Disney, and the whole media machine. Now when I'm driving them around, it's Justin Bieber, the Yo Gabba Gabba album (which, actually, features some pretty cool artists), Taylor Swift, etc. They know the songs by Victoria Justice and Big Time Rush, owing to their constant play on Nickelodeon. And last week, when they went to the library with Grandma, they came home with a Hannah Montana CD, which I consider the low point of this whole process. I really hope that one doesn't catch on.

But I have to admit, that Bieber kid can really sing. And if it makes my girls smile, he's OK with me.
I'm still battling the evil influence of children's TV with Gary Numan. So far so good.

Currently I am listening to a local band from my home city. They are called Analogik

+Quote Post
pheeler
post Mar 22 2012, 01:57 AM
Post #40

Professional Chem Nerd

Sponsor
October 2003

Member No.: 925

QUOTE(JohnfrmCleveland @ Mar 21 2012, 07:01 AM) *

They will come around. I don't think there's a way to counteract the fact that kids have, let's not say terrible but very different taste in music than adults. I used to groan when my mom put on Jim Croce in the car, but now I love him and pretty much all the classic bands my parents love (Lovin' Spoonful included).

For some inexplicable reason, my father missed the boat on Led Zeppelin, so I was able to return the favor and reintroduce him to some great music from his era.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: October 18th, 2018 - 05:40 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.