logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> COVID-19, Coronavirus, call it what you will.
Julian
post Apr 1 2020, 03:06 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

Questions for debate:

How is the outbreak affecting your life and work?

How do you think it will affect your local, national and international politics, economics and life in general?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
dgracefan
post Apr 11 2020, 06:31 AM
Post #2

Group: New Members
Member No.: 7,279

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

QUOTE(Julian @ Apr 1 2020, 03:06 PM) *
Questions for debate:

How do you think it will affect your local, national and international politics, economics and life in general?

luckily it hasnt affected my work.

It's affected my personal time mostly, with there being no sports and concerts.

+Quote Post
Trouble
post Apr 13 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #3

Five Hundred Club

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,142

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: None

Not as much as as someone with a family. However with autoimmune issues and high iron, I am in a higher risk category given the nature of this virus.

It has been a month since I attempted to get tested for the virus and because my pneumonia never got worse beyond a certain point, others got bumped in front of me. I think such action was not accidental in lowering the case count. To date I am still waiting for the phone to ring and give me a date and time to get tested.

Locally, the shut down is comparable to everywhere else. Not much is moving except for essential services. I am curious if the UK has declared alcohol an essential service? In Canada alcohol has been declared essential because a little over 3% of the population would likely cause disruption. I am not sure I agree with that.

I also expect to see the medical systems stress tested. Perhaps a year from now the state verses private debate will come back. There will obviously be cost comparisons. If the costs coming out of America I hear on an anecdotal level are true, the health debate will return with the Bernie Bros front and center.

The vaccine debate will return no question because of the costs associated with shutting down large swaths of the economy. As we get closer to a possible vaccine I can see discussions on the high cost of non-pharmaceutical interventions or NPI's and subsequent affects on a working economy. Then the debate would shift to one of cost and availability. I expect the Libertarians are going to be on the defensive.

The longer the lock down continues the more imperiled long supply chains become. I think Canada is uniquely screwed food wise if the siege continues into the fall.

Globalism in any form works on the principle of high mobility. Without tourism the restaurant, hotel and subsequent service industries suffer. I am curious if China can get by with producing less stuff for America or if America can get by with less stuff from China? The number I hear but cannot verify is trade for the American market is down to 10% of total Chinese production. That may drop further.

The virus also revives the national borders debate and reinvigorates the debate for border enforcement. I expect the SJW's will lament.

There will be a lot of talk next year about failing institutions and surveillance. It is still too early to tell how that one will go. I have no idea just how many bail outs can happen for the banks if the cheques haven't come out until July-August time frame (American timeline).

So there will be a bit to address come summer.

This post has been edited by Trouble: Apr 13 2020, 09:05 PM

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Apr 26 2020, 03:08 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

I had no idea this site was back in business! Woohoo!

Well, our oldest son is home from college. It has actually been pretty great as far as family life goes. I'm not accustomed to having Mr P home so much, but he's in the basement working out about 4 hours every day with the boys. So, he will most likely emerge from this looking better than ever. Whereas I finally got on the scale yesterday for the first time since the pandemic and the news isn't good. I'm reminded of Groundhog day.
I'm in the phase of gluttony and sloth, he is in the final phase of self improvement.

Mr P is flying for SWA but most of his trips have been cancelled. The airports look like a ghost town and there are often announcements over the intercom that are just spooky in that environment. "Please wash your hands to avoid the virus" and so forth.
At the beginning when people were still flying he said it reminded him a bit of 1917 trench warfare.
Everyone was spread out, the aisle between them.
Whenever someone would clear their throat with a cough everyone would duck like it was incoming artillery.
He thought a social distancing whistle might be a useful product.
Hung around one's neck next to the purell.

Now just about everyone has stopped flying though.

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: Apr 26 2020, 03:10 PM

+Quote Post
moif
post May 2 2020, 11:20 AM
Post #5

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 424

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: None

QUOTE(Julian @ Apr 1 2020, 05:06 PM) *
Questions for debate:

I have been in total lock down now for forty four days and I have barely been in contact with any one but my partner, my children and my neighbours.
Life is pretty much the same as it was before, since I work from home any way.

A few weeks ago, they said Denmark had lost 10% of its economy, but as far as I can tell, things are still functioning, even though unemployment is steadily rising. The death toll remains steady, about eight or nine deaths per day, but all our other numbers (people in ICU, or on respirators) are falling steadily.

I'm quietly optimistic that Denmark will pull through with limited damage - a big fat debt that has to be paid off.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Jul 20 2020, 03:19 AM
Post #6

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 729

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

I have been retired now for decades, so the main effect has been on my lifestyle...

I began eating in diners, restaurants, etc. in 1964.

In March, the governor cloosed all restaurants along with other changes. Some of our favorite restaurants have reopened since, but McDonalds is still not offering Sausage McMuffins, cookies, or muffins...

Church services are tentatively scheduled to restart in May 2021...

PE has more telephone skills than I do, so she is keeping in touch with our friends and family that are still alive...

(Unprintable expletives deleted!)...

...and will Donald even notice Bubonic Plague?

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Jul 20 2020, 04:16 AM

+Quote Post
Mrs. Pigpen
post Jul 22 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Jul 19 2020, 11:19 PM) *

Heh, that's the county we live in! But no worries (at least that's what I'm told), it has been around (though rare) for a long long while.

In the U.S., the plague bacterium Yersinia pestis generally pops up in, on average, about seven human cases per year. From 2000 through 2009, there were 57 cases reported, and seven deaths. Two arose from scientists in unusual situations: one was conducting an autopsy on a mountain lion in his garage, and the other, two years later, was handling plague bacteria to use in gene insertion. Neither were believed to be wearing gloves, and neither reported the likely exposures when they sought medical care.

From 2013 to 2018, the World Health Organization counted 40 cases and five deaths in the U.S. These cases clustered in the far West and Southwest: New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, California and Nevada.

Worldwide, plague occurs most in Africa, specifically in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Madagascar, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania, with 2,773 cases and 487 deaths between them from 2013 to 2018. But the WHO notes that between 2008 and 2018, “the total number of cases worldwide has decreased tenfold.”

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: September 22nd, 2020 - 02:34 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.