logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Fake News Rallies October 30th 2010, Just happened to be in town
AuthorMusician
post Sep 22 2010, 06:55 PM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are putting on two rallies in Washington DC on October 30th, just a few days before the midterm elections.

This article gives a fairly good rundown.

What effects will these rallies have on the election outcomes?

What impacts will these rallies have on Glenn Beck?

What miracles might occur during the rallies?

Bonuses:

Will these two rallies attract more people than Glenn Beck's rally?

Is this the start of a new political movement, and if so, what should it be called?

Edit add to fix the [sic]

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Sep 23 2010, 03:36 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Raptavio
post Sep 22 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #2

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,458

Politics: Very Liberal

My gut tells me that their effect will be modest to negligible. It's entirely possible that they'll have a greater impact than I imagined, as the Stewart-Colbert audience is much younger than the Beck audience (FOX, CNN and MSNBC WISH they had Comedy Central's 18-34 demographic numbers) and thus might have fewer family obligations to keep them from showing up and having fun, and that could motivate them to vote.

What impacts will these rallies have on Glen Beck?

None, unless by some miracle they eclipse the size of Glenn[sic] Beck's rally in ways that even Glenn Beck can't deny.

Since the only official measures of Beck's rally was 87,000 plus or minus 12,000, yet Beck claimed between 400 and 600 thousand, there's little chance that Beck could possibly lack wiggle room to say his rally was much larger.

Nothing that isn't staged, but they should be hilarious.

Will these two rallies attract more people than Glen Beck's rally?

As said above, I highly doubt it, and even if they do, the Beckbots will never admit it.

Is this the start of a new political movement, and if so, what should it be called?

No. It's a publicity stunt and a very large lampoon of the worst excesses of the Tea Party and Beck rallies.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Sep 23 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #3

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

I think that the rallies will inspire slackers and heads and head/slackers to consider the possibility of maybe checking if they can actually vote.

I really want to see this guy's head explode. Otherwise, a nervous breakdown on YouTube would be good. Lordy Lordy, these kids will be voting the Unions in! Man, talk about being stuck in 1939.

Stevie Ray Vaughan will appear in the third segment (10 minutes each to fit YouTube) and crank out Love Struck Baby. Elvis will wiggle through Jail House Rock thereafter. The Music shall be revived, and the Chevy will return from the Levy. Some geese will fly by on their way to Mexico. No papers, meh. They'll be in a V for, well, that's what they do. Lazy unemployed goose food addicted hobos!

Whiskey and Rye -- eternal miracles of distillation. Not exactly a miracle, but unusual -- ganja on the mall. DC Patrol looks the other way, takes a deep breath.

I am experiencing no doubt on this. It is a strange sensation. The psychic vibe is toward ten fold. That or forty nights, it's vague. That's the way of oracles -- the multiplier shifts.

I do agree that whatever it is, Glenn's dog will be better by his estimation. It's actually quite magical, turning shull bit into news. Tough act to follow.

I do think so. The name is elusive, but Colbert is really good at this for a middling old fart. Only ten years more Colbert, only ten years more. You will never catch up to Stewart! And I don't mean just the Emmies.

I'd call it the Sergeant Pepper's Oldie Farts Club Band. Yep, but that isn't it. Probably some rap lyric takeoff. Probably unprintable. Need the acronym, like FKOFFMFCSSHSOB Party On. Yeah!

In all adult seriousness, this is going to be fun. I do hope Glenn Beck has fun too, although he probably will get the vapors over it.

Won't be there other than in spirit. Astral projection favors the elderly. And I do think this could become a significant political movement. I mean, look at what started the other political movements. All it take is a little charisma, eh? But all you need is Love. Paradox!

Who knows? Big political movements have been started, if one pays attention to US history, in taverns.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Sep 23 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #4

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

On the local scene, PE and I have decided that if we can manage to arrange transportation (perhaps a car pool) and have a cemetery decorated for a church fund raiser the night before; we plan to attend these rallies.

That means that we will be casting absentee ballots. We will also not plan to be available to work as challengers at an unfamiliar voting location or do volunteer work at a campaign office on Election Day. PE has been itching for a ROAD TRIP for weeks now. We may swing through Kentucky or Ohio or South Carolina on the return trip to visit relatives and friends. I installed Maps and Trips 2010 on a laptop computer, but so far the sensor has placed me somewhere between Siberia and Hawaii.

Net effect: I am hoping that other attendees realize that this rally is near to Election Day and include absentee voting in their plans.

I usually only see excerpts of this Demigod on MSNBC, so I will have to presume that it will cause him to pick up a piece of chalk, walk to his chalkboard, and demonstrate that he is a poor artist, with poor handwriting, unable to afford the training to use PowerPoint; and that this was his brilliant idea to draw Democrats to Washington, D.C. shortly before the election.

Keith Olberman will realize that whether or not FOX Snooze covers this event is irrelevant. He will tell us his opinion of what happened, and make no reference whatever to R-r-r-uper-r-r-t G-r-r-r Mur-r-rdoch's cover-r-rage of the r-r-rallies.

QUOTE(As Yet Unborn Comedian)
I was born at a You Tube Event when the ambulance driver went by the National Mall on the way to the Hospital. You may have seen the coverage on the Internet. Everyone near the ambulance had a cell phone. Someone by the name of Glenn Beck tried to claim paternity of the Miracle Child that was born at "the Election Day Rally For Democrats I organized." Mom and Dad filed suits for both Paternity and defamation of character. (Neither of them had ever met Glenn Beck.) My parents agree that 30% of his income should have been enough to cover my college tuition. However, while the judge ruled in their favor because Glenn Beck claimed that, as a God, he did not have to provide a DNA sample to the court; unfortunately for me, the judge also made him change the title of his book to Arguing As An Idiot.

Glenn Beck will point to videotapes that show no one wearing tri-corner hats, tea bags, or powdered wigs. "Where," he will ask, "did they find these so-called 'normal Americans? Did they hire extras at a movie studio? Look at that guy in the Flannel Shirt and the full beard. He must be an illegal immigrant from Canada who came here looking for work and Obamacare."

Our friends in the Coffee Party will likely attend on Facebook, so if I am asked what party I am from; I will say hello to an old supervisor by claiming that I am from the Procrastinator Party, and that I am there to rally in support of Gerald Ford. Perhaps I will also mention that I have his name written in on an absentee ballot that I have misplaced. (14 seconds of fame?)

flowers.gif
(Edited from scratch after the power failed when I hit the submit button!)

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Sep 23 2010, 11:16 AM

+Quote Post
Dontreadonme
post Sep 23 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 359

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Libertarian

I doubt it.

He'll mock them on his radio show as he does most things that are not Glenn Beck.

That I might actually go to a rally. Aside from checking out some local tea parties in my area [time that I'll never get back], I'm not one for crowds. I may however, attend this event since I'm close enough to drive/metro in.

I suppose it could be, but I rather doubt it would be anything formalized...more of a 'sense of the nation'. John Avlon of CNN has a pretty good take on it:

Others question why we should take this media event seriously in a high-stakes election season. It matters because we're going to need to draw on this spirit no matter what happens on Election Day.

If humor can help rebalance politics by pointing out the absurdities of what currently passes for debate, it is far better than throwing more red meat into the arena. It's even better if the proponent punches both left and right as a matter of principle, as this rally promises to do.

More examples of independence might be what it takes for the news industry to be trusted again as the honest brokers of American politics

This post has been edited by Dontreadonme: Sep 23 2010, 01:13 PM

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Sep 23 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #6

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

Probably negligible, but they will be fun. And as Curmudgeon said before, w00t.gif ROAD TRIP! w00t.gif I'm jazzed.

Meh.

People will find their soul mates???

Bonuses:

They might.

Doubtful. But if it awakens people to the absurdity of some rallies that have preceded them (particularly Evangelist Beck's), that will be something useful. But I'm not holding my breath...

+Quote Post
Ted
post Sep 23 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #7

Ten Thousand Club

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 1,807

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

Not much - unless they can drop the unemployment rate by 2%..... whistling.gif

Who knows – he may show up to catch some jokes…

Bonuses:

Not likely but who knows – or cares.

Good question. Lets get a poll and naming committee stated.

But since their sub label is Real Liberal Politics I don’t think we need another political movement – they just need to try desperately to motivate the people in the current movement

Will Nancy P be there is the real question

+Quote Post
Dontreadonme
post Sep 23 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 359

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Libertarian

QUOTE(Ted @ Sep 23 2010, 03:42 PM) *
But since their sub label is Real Liberal Politics I don’t think we need another political movement – they just need to try desperately to motivate the people in the current movement

You realize don't you that the sub-label you refer to is of the blog that was linked....not having any connection to the Stewart/Colbert rallies themselves....right?

Will Nancy P be there is the real question

That's the real question?? Well may be for you it is...since you offer no foundation as to why in the world she would be there.

Not likely but who knows – or cares.

Oh, I don't know...I think the can attract more than 87000 people.

This post has been edited by Dontreadonme: Sep 23 2010, 08:41 PM

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Sep 25 2010, 05:45 AM
Post #9

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

QUOTE(Dontreadonme @ Sep 23 2010, 04:40 PM) *
Oh, I don't know...I think they can attract more than 87000 people.

I usually don't go looking for strange links, but I was talking to AAA, trying to gather more information, get a TRIPTIK, etc. and the person I was speaking to mentioned the following statistic:

QUOTE(Christian Science Monitor)
As of Friday morning, more than 145,000 people have said on the Rally to Restore Sanity Facebook page that they will attend the Oct. 30 event. link
I don't know how to access Facebook (or why) and I got on the telephone to reserve a rental car for the trip. I am not comfortable using a telephone, so it took me circa an hour. She was good. When the car broke down a few weeks back, it took me an hour and a half to give AAA my GPS co-ordinates and get a tow truck.

On Yahoo, I found over 6,000,000 hits for "Rally to Restore Sanity," including three possible "satellite rallies" around the nation. As a young man, I never heard about Woodstock until after it happened. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but we're hyped!

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Sep 25 2010, 06:36 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: June 23rd, 2018 - 07:51 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.