logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Critical Race Theory, Republicans hate it, what's the beef?
droop224
post Jun 23 2021, 11:44 PM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,073

Politics: Very Liberal
Party affiliation: None

I've often used this board to get a gauged on what is the Conservative psyche. Whether I agree or disagree, I at least gain insight. Well here I am again, confused but ready to learn.

Lets start with a recent poll

More than 6 in 10 Republicans, 63 percent, said they oppose critical race theory being taught in K-12 schools, compared to 13 percent of Democrats and 38 percent of independents also voicing opposition.
Further in the article:
“The advocates of critical theory tell us we have to dismantle our culture, our history, our families, our Jewish and Christian heritage and beliefs because they’re all oppressive,” said Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) this week. “They say the future of this nation will be defined by racial division and racial strife. Mr. President, I reject that prophecy of our future and I take my stand on the goodness of the American people and the God who guides us.”
I'm not sure where the part about dismantling Jewish and Christian heritage comes from, but maybe someone can help me here too.

Sadly we see that the right wing media is yet again attacking the psyche of conservatives with a new boogeyman
critical race theory has emerged as a central talking point and fundraising tactic for Republicans, Fox News has been flooding the zone and mentioning it at an accelerating pace.

A new study from Media Matters for America, a left-leaning nonprofit, found nearly 1,300 mentions of the term over the course of three and-a-half months.

Question for debate:

What is your understanding of critical race theory? Is it dangerous to our society and especially are children.

Why are conservatives so starkly opposed to our children education including this theory?

This post has been edited by droop224: Jun 23 2021, 11:45 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
Mrs. Pigpen
post Jul 14 2021, 01:28 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

Sponsor
June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

I don't know anything about CRT. But I will give some observations from the past few years....
There was a feminism thread a while back that started a diversion into #metoo before metoo existed (officially).
I was (and still am) of the opinion that presumption of innocence matters.
This went into some (at the time more recent) cases I was familiar with where it was pretty obvious there were politically motivated prosecutions based on very dubious testimony against the accused. The assertion was "believe all women" because women don't lie...for some reason.

Let's fast forward now to 2021 when there is a movie being released about a "Karen" who always lies.
Karen is the new evil villain...and now somehow women can NOT be trusted to tell the truth.
Nothing changed, there were always some women who lie about crimes, and others who do not. But with the new anti-Karen cultural obsession everything seems to have changed virtually overnight. Rather than facts and data, what seems to matter most is whatever the media determines we need to be concerned about in the moment.
Right now it's CRT. On both sides. These are topics designed to divide us.

I read something on twitter (a black participant) this morning that resonated with me and I thought was a reasonable answer to this topic:

"I was asked if Racism is getting worse. My answer is no. Racism is not worse. The problem is that the definition of racism has expanded. There are no longer any boundaries. Racism used to mean very specific things, now it means nothing.... or rather.... now it means everything.."

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: September 19th, 2021 - 09:09 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.