logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!

> Welcome to the America's Debate Archive!

Topics that have had no new replies in the last 180 days are moved to the archive.

New replies are not accepted once a topic is moved to the archive, and new topics cannot be started in the archive.

> Which issue hurts Democrats the most?, Pick one to throw in the towel on.
srobert
post Jan 19 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #1

Junior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,409

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Democrat

Elections in recent years have run so close. Some red states could be blue states, if only a small fraction of eligible voters could be persuaded to vote differently. For many, a single issue dominates their voting choice.
What issue, has hurt the Democratic party the most?

On what issue do you think the party should reverse its position to change the outcome of national elections in 2006?

Does the answer depend upon which state your in?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
AuthorMusician
post Jan 19 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal

I'll pick economics as the weak leg of the party in that Repubs have been able to convince voters to go with their wallets over social issues, such as stagnant wages, foreign outsourcing, business relocation overseas, poor job growth and evaporating safety nets. This has worked in the past because people have been afraid that Democratic policies would chase businesses away. Well, that happened anyway. So now what?

Indeed, now what. It's a tough question that Repubs are ignoring, which leaves an opening for Demos to come up with new ideas on working the world economy. So how can this be done at a local/state level? What legislation initiatives should be brought up in Congress? Where do we have economic growth potentials? These are the questions that Demos should be considering.

On what issue do you think the party should reverse its position to change the outcome of national elections in 2006?

There is no national election in 2006, they are Senate and House elections which are referred to as Congresional, plus local/state elections. I don't see any issue that an overall party platform needs to be reversed in order to defeat Republicans this year. With the money troubles coming out for sitting Congressfolks, incumbents will be on the defensive. Locally, I strongly suspect that people are sick of hearing from the idealogues who hate government and refuse to work at making government work. Also, these anti-science people are getting rather annoying because religion might save, but it doesn't pay the rent.

Colorado has already swung away from Republicans. We are still stuck with a veto-happy governor from Texas, and my desire is to see him replaced with a Democratic or an unaffiliated governor who actually cares about Colorado rather than a future career in DC. Owens is outta here this year due to term limitations.

+Quote Post
srobert
post Jan 20 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Junior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,409

Politics: Independent

I had difficulty parsing your answer there, Authormusician. I think of the stagnant wages, foreign outsourcing, poor job growth, as signs of a weak economy that are caused by Republican policies on trade, labor, etc. The economy seemed healthier to me when it was operating under Democratically led government's policies. So economics is an issue that I would think the Democrats would be more successful on than Republicans.

I think the Republicans have managed to persuade disproportianately large numbers of pro-lifers to register as voters. But I don't think the democrats could gain by alienating the pro-choicers in their base. So I wouldn't change the party's position on this (despite the fact that I'm pro-life).

What I have in mind here is primarily gun control. Several acquaintences of mine are gun enthusiasts but otherwise progressive on many issues. Some of them are going to vote Republican because, to them, the second amendment issues outweigh all other considerations. While the Democratic party hasn't monolithically opposed the NRA's position, it hasn't consistently embraced it either. The Republicans have emphatically supported the gun lobby's position. I think that has needlessly cost the Democratic party several western states.

I think that my state, Nevada, is heavily turned on gun control issues. I think several western states, Colorado being one, would be solidly blue states if not for the perception that Democrats are opposed to gun owners' rights. I was curious if the East coast or southern states had issues, such as trade, immigration policy, where the Democratic party's postition (or lack of a position) had alienated voters who would otherwise be Democrats.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: January 18th, 2020 - 10:11 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.