logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Confederate Memorials, Should they be removed?
entspeak
post Oct 11 2017, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Mammal

Sponsor
May 2007

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 2,568

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

There have been two white supremacist rallies in Charlottesville recently and the past few months have been filled with discussions about the removal of memorials honoring Confederate military and government figures.

Should memorials erected to honor the acts and individuals who fought for the Confederacy be taken down (and, possibly, moved to places like museums?)

Why/Why not?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Start new topic
Replies (80 - 87)
droop224
post Jul 12 2020, 01:22 AM
Post #81

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,073

Politics: Very Liberal

Go wherever. Figure it out. We did.

I don't "recognize myself". It's what I happen to be, whether I recognize myself, or spend the rest of my days in a barbiturate-induced coma. What are you even talking about?

1. you were already there. You didn't figure out anything Looms, did you LOOMS??
2. I say "recognize" cause that's exactly what you are doing.
(a) understand religion
(b ) understand ego
Are you telling me I'm uninformed about my own truth of my own people? Isn't that a major faux pas among the evangelical left?
Whether you are or are not is not knowledge i have, but the stuff you are stating seems like you do?
I assumed it was just American culture. Apparently you, speaking on behalf of at least a portion of the black population, disagree. So I'm just giving you an option of what you can do, as opposed to all this oppression.
Thanks, I guess. I am merely telling you the other option is to struggle against oppression. You have a problem with fellow humans struggling against oppression? Or you have a problem with us discussing it so publicly? You a suffer in silence type individual?

I don't care about the history of people who aren't you. And holy hell...are you legit using the Holocaust as a legit argument for comparison even after I explicitly said that I was bringing it up as a joke? Are you trying to set the world record for leftist humorlessness? I mean, if you want to be serious, I can always bring up the fact that I still hear "muh black Wall Street" every single day, despite the fact that pogroms were damn near a national sport in Eastern Europe for however long. Stuff got rebuilt every single time. Deal with it.
LOL i saw "you jest" which was directly followed by "seriously, I don't get it" If it was a joke, what was the punchline? I don't know what to tell you playa... work on your delivery! laugh.gif <---- add one of those or something!

Now do that collectively. Or don't. But stop crying about it and stop trying to make yourself my problem on the basis of your skin color.
Is this a joke? Am i missing the punchline again? Is there a emoticon you forgot to put in there? Should i take this line serious? You sound... upset, frustrated, tired and aggravated. That's what energy I'm feeling from your words. Why so?

Thank you for saving all of America from itself, but if Baltimore or Chicago are anything to go by, can you please do it to Iran, or North Korea, or literally anywhere else?
THUG "The Hate You Gave" -Tupac
"Cause they make us hate ourself and love they wealth That's why shorties holler, 'Where the ballers at?'
Drug dealer buy Jordan, crackhead buy crack And the white man get paid off of all of that" - Kanye West

Hail Mary, Jesus and Joseph
The great American flag
Is wrapped and dragged with explosives

Compulsive disorder, sons and daughters
Barricaded blocks and borders
Look what you taught us
It's murder on my street, your street, back streets
Wall street, corporate offices, banks
Employees and bosses with homicidal thoughts

Donald Trump's in office, we lost Barack
And promised to never doubt him again
But is America honest or do we bask in sin?
Pass the gin, I mix it with American blood
Then bash him in, you crippin' or you married to blood?
I'll ask again—oops—accident
It's nasty when you set us up
Then roll the dice, then bet us up
You overnight the big rifles, then tell Fox to be scared of us
Gang members or terrorists, et cetera, et cetera
Americas reflections of me
That's what a mirror does

-Kendrick Lamar

Looms we aren't going anywhere. Do you have a problem with us struggling for equality here?

Liberty, sure. Justice, as in the universality of law, and not what your cult calls justice, sure. Equality? No. It's just not happening. It's not a matter of what frightens me. Spiders frighten me. Egalitarianism is the most destructive and repulsive political concept ever developed, so I reject it.
Then continue your struggle for Supremacy! This is your journey in life. But, when you fight for supremacy, you're no different than any other animal on Earth.

I know. Feel free to take your allies with you. In fact, you have my full permission to enslave them in lieu of reparations. You know, since we're here as the representatives of white and black Americans, and not as Looms and Droop, apparently.
Where we going? We are here.

I'm SHOCKED. At the end of it all, you decided that the right, and morally courageous thing to do is to stay here, in the bastion of racism and oppression, and continue crying and making excuses, with your guilty white allies who are more than happy to treat you as their deficient stepchild on the basis of your skin color. Because racism bad.
Looms, are you scared of what happens if someone pulls back the curtain of racism and sees the wizard behind it? laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Blackstone
post Jul 12 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 5,539

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(droop224 @ Jul 11 2020, 08:22 PM) *
Do you have a problem with us struggling for equality here?

Just to tie this to the topic under discussion, I confess to being a bit at a loss as to how a statue in Jacksonville has anything to do with an unjustifiable police killing in Minneapolis. I'm pretty sure you can walk endlessly through the streets of New York, Detroit, Chicago, LA, and many other major U.S. cities where relations between police and minority communities have been difficult, and struggle mightily to spot a single Confederate statue. Not likely to find too many Confederate flags either, for that matter. Nor are the mass media exactly saturated with such images.

Moreover, in recent years there's been something of a "reverse Great Migration" back to the South, suggesting that the places with displays of this nature aren't where race relations are the worst in America.

So perhaps there are more substantive ways of addressing the things you think need to be addressed that don't waste energy on things that aren't really hurting anyone?

+Quote Post
droop224
post Jul 13 2020, 01:30 AM
Post #83

QUOTE(Blackstone @ Jul 12 2020, 03:39 PM) *

Just to tie this to the topic under discussion, I confess to being a bit at a loss as to how a statue in Jacksonville has anything to do with an unjustifiable police killing in Minneapolis. I'm pretty sure you can walk endlessly through the streets of New York, Detroit, Chicago, LA, and many other major U.S. cities where relations between police and minority communities have been difficult, and struggle mightily to spot a single Confederate statue. Not likely to find too many Confederate flags either, for that matter. Nor are the mass media exactly saturated with such images.

Moreover, in recent years there's been something of a "reverse Great Migration" back to the South, suggesting that the places with displays of this nature aren't where race relations are the worst in America.

So perhaps there are more substantive ways of addressing the things you think need to be addressed that don't waste energy on things that aren't really hurting anyone?

Well I can appreciate you getting us back on track. but there is a connection, racism. General, public support for racism. Generally accepted racism. So I don't want to talk about police brutality or debate it in this thread either. I will say this, and move on, the same reason that one officer had his knee on a neck, while two officers in training held down the legs, while one officer held back others while being filmed the whole time... IS the reason why many feel its fine to keep this statues up. See being murderous, well that just takes any old body. You don't need to be racist to be a murderous SOB. But there he was... in uniform.. looking at the witnesses record him, in front of his fellow officers. I honestly couldn't tell you whether Chauvin hated George Floyd or wanted to kill him. But what that video truly shows is that wasn't concerned with people seeing him treat Floyd in this manner and the other officer didn't seem to care. I would think that most people would conclude that what we saw was nothing new to Chauvin or the Asian officer and was something being taught to the officers in training.

Dave Chapelle touches on this quite well. See to the cops on the job for a while, George Floyds life had no value. If George didn't die, America wouldn't care?? If we see that same video and George lives, it would have to be a different video.

Let's pivot this back to statues that memorialize leaders of the confederate and symbols of the Confederacy that memorialize people that fought to continue enslavement. Revisionist history amongst my fellow White debaters is getting so bad that even PragerU is admitting that the civil war was fought for the south to retain slaves.

Look whether you agree or disagree, its well documented that the South fought slavery. That's a really good reason to to take down memorializing monuments of these individuals. The fact that they fought to continue the enslavement of Blacks is a really good reason for Blacks to want to see them statues removed or streets and schools renamed. If you thought the Black voices in our society had value, you would hear us when we say those are symbols of racism. This is not new. I was looking a a video from "Golden Girls" where the issue was discussed. I'm looking at an old episode of "the heat of the night" the issues is discussed. This is not new!

So what's changed??

White people. More, so many more care and are tired of living in a racist society. For so long its been an ego thing for so many Whites. "I'm not racist!" "I'm not saying there aren't racial issues, but I'm not racist!" So many Whites and even non Whites are ready to see their fellow Americans subjected to Racism, as long as they can say "I have Black friends, I'm not a racist!" Thats all most of you I debate care about. Thats honestly how so many Whites have been for so long. They didn't want to be seen as racist.

So what's changed??

White people. There is a movement of White people who no longer want to live in a racist society. And man it's really messing up the other Whites because you all thought you were on the same page. "No the game is we don't look racist" Look at little Hailey go..lol

See the connections. It's it not about the statue, the flag or the police brutality, its about wanting to live in a society without racism. And its not just Blacks anymore.

So why don't you answer a question for me? Why do we need statues memorializing traitors and people who fought to maintain slavery in this country on Courthouse steps? Does it really make sense to you that we do that to remember our history? History books aren't good enough?

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jul 13 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #84

Group Icon

No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 1,155

Politics: Conservative

QUOTE(droop224 @ Jul 12 2020, 07:30 PM) *
QUOTE(Blackstone @ Jul 12 2020, 03:39 PM) *

Well I can appreciate you getting us back on track. but there is a connection, racism. General, public support for racism. Generally accepted racism. So I don't want to talk about police brutality or debate it in this thread either. I will say this, and move on, the same reason that one officer had his knee on a neck, while two officers in training held down the legs, while one officer held back others while being filmed the whole time... IS the reason why many feel its fine to keep this statues up. See being murderous, well that just takes any old body. You don't need to be racist to be a murderous SOB. But there he was... in uniform.. looking at the witnesses record him, in front of his fellow officers. I honestly couldn't tell you whether Chauvin hated George Floyd or wanted to kill him. But what that video truly shows is that wasn't concerned with people seeing him treat Floyd in this manner and the other officer didn't seem to care. I would think that most people would conclude that what we saw was nothing new to Chauvin or the Asian officer and was something being taught to the officers in training.

Dave Chapelle touches on this quite well. See to the cops on the job for a while, George Floyds life had no value. If George didn't die, America wouldn't care?? If we see that same video and George lives, it would have to be a different video.

Let's pivot this back to statues that memorialize leaders of the confederate and symbols of the Confederacy that memorialize people that fought to continue enslavement. Revisionist history amongst my fellow White debaters is getting so bad that even PragerU is admitting that the civil war was fought for the south to retain slaves.

Look whether you agree or disagree, its well documented that the South fought slavery. That's a really good reason to to take down memorializing monuments of these individuals. The fact that they fought to continue the enslavement of Blacks is a really good reason for Blacks to want to see them statues removed or streets and schools renamed. If you thought the Black voices in our society had value, you would hear us when we say those are symbols of racism. This is not new. I was looking a a video from "Golden Girls" where the issue was discussed. I'm looking at an old episode of "the heat of the night" the issues is discussed. This is not new!

So what's changed??

White people. More, so many more care and are tired of living in a racist society. For so long its been an ego thing for so many Whites. "I'm not racist!" "I'm not saying there aren't racial issues, but I'm not racist!" So many Whites and even non Whites are ready to see their fellow Americans subjected to Racism, as long as they can say "I have Black friends, I'm not a racist!" Thats all most of you I debate care about. Thats honestly how so many Whites have been for so long. They didn't want to be seen as racist.

So what's changed??

White people. There is a movement of White people who no longer want to live in a racist society. And man it's really messing up the other Whites because you all thought you were on the same page. "No the game is we don't look racist" Look at little Hailey go..lol

See the connections. It's it not about the statue, the flag or the police brutality, its about wanting to live in a society without racism. And its not just Blacks anymore.

So why don't you answer a question for me? Why do we need statues memorializing traitors and people who fought to maintain slavery in this country on Courthouse steps? Does it really make sense to you that we do that to remember our history? History books aren't good enough?

While I agree on the general sentiment in your post, I am curious on just exactly when you became such an expert on 'white people'? And if you realize that stereotyping them all like that is actually doing the very thing you seem to want changed...perpetuating racism. That you actually think that all white people think alike...and that we're all racist...is a big part of the problem today. For me, I don't want to be 'seen as racist' because I'm NOT racist. And I'm tired of people thinking I am just because of the color of MY skin. If you disagree on me not being racist, please cite all the things you KNOW about ME that would make ME racist. If you believe I am racist just because of the color of my skin...congratulations! You're racist.

+Quote Post
droop224
post Jul 13 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #85

While I agree on the general sentiment in your post, I am curious on just exactly when you became such an expert on 'white people'?
Not so sure you do agree with the sentiment after everything else you wrote, but i hope you do.

I do not have the audacity or hubris to believe i am an expert on White people. There is a big change in these recent round of protest, i'm merely giving you my opinion based on my observations. For what it's worth i am not an expert on Black people either. I'm not sure the credential of being an expert on any particular race of people is possible.

And if you realize that stereotyping them all like that is actually doing the very thing you seem to want changed...perpetuating racism.
I'm not stereotypying all White people like anything. Generalities is not saying all Whites do anything. Generalities is an actual thing.
That you actually think that all white people think alike...and that we're all racist...is a big part of the problem today.
Then your problem is with the strawman you created, not me. I don't think all White people think alike.
For me, I don't want to be 'seen as racist' because I'm NOT racist. And I'm tired of people thinking I am just because of the color of MY skin.
The color of your skin??? That's what you tell yourself? Supporting a President that tweets video with people yelling "White power"; Supporting racist symbols and calling it 'history", supporting unjust laws and punishments and calling it a Justice system; maybe some of these things and a list of other might tend to make you look racist. But the color of your skin??? I agree the color of your skin has nothing to do with you being racist, the things you believe and support, can make you racist or a supporter of racism, if that sounds better.

If you disagree on me not being racist, please cite all the things you KNOW about ME that would make ME racist. If you believe I am racist just because of the color of my skin...congratulations! You're racist.
I'll pass. You know what you do and don't support. You know what behavior you support. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU CAN JUSTIFY to tell yourself, "I'm not a racist". It's not my place.

My place is to say its 2020 and minorities are still suffering from racism. Someone is keeping these institutions of racism going because we can see the results in the disparity. Especially, in the Latino American, Native American, and African American (Black and Brown)communities. We see these disparities in economics, legal\criminals system, politics. These systems can only be changed by policies at all levels of government in all branches. Where do you stand on creating parity and equality?

This post has been edited by droop224: Jul 14 2020, 01:15 AM

+Quote Post
Blackstone
post Jul 16 2020, 11:52 PM
Post #86

QUOTE(droop224 @ Jul 12 2020, 09:30 PM) *
I honestly couldn't tell you whether Chauvin hated George Floyd or wanted to kill him. But what that video truly shows is that wasn't concerned with people seeing him treat Floyd in this manner and the other officer didn't seem to care. I would think that most people would conclude that what we saw was nothing new to Chauvin or the Asian officer and was something being taught to the officers in training.

But you're still making the assumption (really, without evidence, I should add) that racism was the, or even a, motivating factor here - as opposed to say, having dealt with one too many criminals, of whatever race, and reacting to their frustrations the wrong way.

The question is of course highly relevant to the overall debate, because though neither scenario would have justified the officers' actions, if it were the latter, it wouldn't implicate "systemic racism," only the officers themselves. Still less would it implicate Confederate monuments thousands of miles away, especially since, as I pointed out, the parts of the country where they're most visible don't appear to be any worse in terms of race relations than anywhere else in America today.

+Quote Post
droop224
post Jul 17 2020, 03:46 AM
Post #87

QUOTE(Blackstone)
But you're still making the assumption (really, without evidence, I should add) that racism was the, or even a, motivating factor here - as opposed to say, having dealt with one too many criminals, of whatever race, and reacting to their frustrations the wrong way.
Am I?? My first sentence you quoted stated "I honestly couldn't tell you whether Chauvin hated George Floyd or wanted to kill him." - Droop. So... I don't presume to be able to get in anyone's head and know explicitly how they feel about Blacks. I can see what you do, I can see what you support. I can hear the racist dog whistles just like you. Of course that gives a person with racist views plausible deniability, but that's the game we have to endure.

So yes there is a bit of assumption that Chauvin is racist, and you're right, besides him kneeling on the neck of a Black man for over 8 minutes I don't have any evidence he is racist. I mean you could hang a Black person up in a tree, doesn't mean you are a racist maybe you just didn't like that Black person. You could drag him behind your pickup truck, which is peppered with confederate flag stickers, doesn't mean you are racist, could be just this Black guy got on your nerves. You could chase a Black man, while he was jogging through your neighborhood, or walking with a ice tea and skittles, and kill them when they defend themselves. Doesn't mean you're racist, maybe you just really care about the safety of your neighborhood. You could call them the N-word, but maybe they were REALLY acting like the N-word, doesn't prove you're racist, just p'd off. I mean, really, how do we really know, really, ya know??

As for systemic racism, i think the problem we have is that George Floyd is with out a doubt a focal point in history. But he's really just a straw on a camel's back. But it's a catch 22 right, if you can't see the camel of systemic racism, because you keep excusing, rationalizing, and justifying, etc, repeat, excusing, rationalizing, and justifying, etc, repeat,
excusing, rationalizing, and justifying, etc, repeat, excusing, rationalizing, and justifying, etc, repeat, then HOW can you see that George Floyd is just a straw??

The question is of course highly relevant to the overall debate, because though neither scenario would have justified the officers' actions, if it were the latter, it wouldn't implicate "systemic racism," only the officers themselves. Still less would it implicate Confederate monuments thousands of miles away, especially since, as I pointed out, the parts of the country where they're most visible don't appear to be any worse in terms of race relations than anywhere else in America today.
OK i see what you are saying... like why tear down monument cause some bad cops killed a Black man!! Doesn't make sense!! However, what if people view confederate monuments of generals that fought to enslave Blacks and the a cop who could care less he was being recorded with his knee in the Black man's neck, as part of the same system of racism?? You know, the camel. Something to ponder.

This post has been edited by droop224: Jul 17 2020, 03:55 AM

+Quote Post
Blackstone
post Jul 25 2020, 03:22 PM
Post #88

QUOTE(droop224 @ Jul 16 2020, 11:46 PM) *
So yes there is a bit of assumption that Chauvin is racist, and you're right, besides him kneeling on the neck of a Black man for over 8 minutes I don't have any evidence he is racist.

Exactly, because "evidence he's a racist" would be evidence that Floyd's race had anything to do with his actions, and yes, you have no evidence of that whatsoever. It's not as though human beings of the same race don't kill and brutalize each other with a lamentable regularity.

"Evidence that he's a racist" would mean things like racially disparaging comments, a history of racial disparity in how he treats others (for the same actions), or some other kind of special indicator beyond a mere difference in race. You have none of that.

But it's a catch 22 right, if you can't see the camel of systemic racism, because you keep excusing, rationalizing, and justifying, etc, repeat, excusing, rationalizing, and justifying, etc, repeat,
excusing, rationalizing, and justifying, etc, repeat, excusing, rationalizing, and justifying, etc, repeat, then HOW can you see that George Floyd is just a straw??

Excusing, rationalizing, and justifying what, now? After I just got through saying, "neither scenario [i.e., racist or non-racist motivations] would have justified the officers' actions"? Are you suggesting Chauvin's actions would have been justified if it had been determined that they were not in fact motivated by race?

However, what if people view confederate monuments of generals that fought to enslave Blacks and the a cop who could care less he was being recorded with his knee in the Black man's neck, as part of the same system of racism??

Then I'd say they're drawing sweeping conclusions based on superficial considerations. It's the same type of simplistic thinking that also leads to wild conspiracy theories.

Or for that matter, to racism itself.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: September 24th, 2020 - 08:32 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.