logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Emergencies, Disasters and Chaos, What's your 'Bug-Out plan'?
Dontreadonme
post Sep 1 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 359

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: Libertarian

Much like the dreaded Y2K looming over the late 1990's, the near future holds dire predictions as well. From the December 2012 Mayan Calendar ending to natural disasters to my personal favorite - the Zombie Apocalypse.......the near term future could hold many nasty surprises, depending on your level or prediction or paranoia.

Perhaps it's the inner survivalist in me, I've often thought about contingency plans to keep my family safe in the event of one or all of the above. I have canned food, dry foods and water stockpiled; I have several firearms and plenty of ammo; and I have my background of Army career and Search & Rescue in case things get a bit....primitive. I live within walking distance to the north end of the Shenandoah National Park for escaping angry mobs or flesh eating zombies.

Are you in any way prepared for disasters or emergencies, such as stocked food and firearms?

Do you have any specialized training that would come in handy for the survival/comfort of your family?

Do you have any predictions or belief that an emergency situation is impending?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Amlord
post Sep 1 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

The Roaring Lion

Sponsor

Member No.: 572

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

Luckily you warned me to read World War Z, DTOM, so now I am prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse!!

Are you in any way prepared for disasters or emergencies, such as stocked food and firearms?

No. I barely have enough food to last a week. I don't own any firearms. However, I do think well on my feet, as it were.

On the flip side, I have a few dependencies on modern medicine (as do many, many others) that might limit my ability to survive for long. Being a Type I diabetic, I need insulin to survive. Although I probably have a six month supply at any time, the first thing I'd do in a real emergency is raid a pharmacy for supplies.

Do you have any specialized training that would come in handy for the survival/comfort of your family?

I'm an engineer. I can build and repair things. Most importantly, I know how to kill zombies thanks to my reading prowess! laugh.gif

I hope not. There are a lot of people (literally hundreds and hundreds of millions) who would not survive six months without access to medicine or food supplies. Millions would die in a winter in the northern hemisphere.

+Quote Post
Dontreadonme
post Sep 1 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

I think, therefore I am an enemy of the State....and Fox News

Sponsor
October 2003

Member No.: 359

Party affiliation: Libertarian

QUOTE(Amlord @ Sep 1 2009, 10:41 AM) *
Luckily you warned me to read World War Z, DTOM, so now I am prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse!!

For further inspiration, you should check out Day by Day Armageddon by J.L Bourne. It's written in a diary format, and I could not put that book down. A very good read for an individual, survivalist take on the Zombie Apocalypse.

+Quote Post
aevans176
post Sep 1 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #4

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,607

Party affiliation: None

QUOTE(Dontreadonme @ Sep 1 2009, 09:23 AM) *

This stuff is fun... even if a little "tin foil on the head crazy". Swine flu, etc is definitely a good example of what can cause a pandemic- rightfully or not.

Being a Marine and owning a couple of guns (shotguns), I'm not too worried about protecting my home or family. I have a reloader (I used to shoot skeet/trap in my younger years) and enough powder and shot to stop a truck (it's really cheap... and shooting skeet can be expensive). I also believe that if things were really spiralling downhill, I could get guns from my father who has a collection that's been accumulated through inheritance and time. He's got a number of hand and long guns, well, and I'm from Louisiana and have some very close friends who have some automatic weapons (not that they have enough ammo to last long... that jazz is super expensive).

The weird thing is that I believe in America survival through a natural disaster is what I could see hurting people. Katrina is a great example. There were a million anecdotes of people without water, people who didn't understand the value of clean drinking water, the need for first aid, etc. Read Douglas Brinkley's "The Great Deluge". Good book, and a great account of how ill prepared even our emergency response teams were.

The first thing I'd have done was get everything necessary to the highest ground possible and secure it with the best tools available. Our brilliant Governor and Ray "Moron/Crackhead" Nagin put our national guardsmen in one of the lowest points in the city... umm... with all of their equipment. Awesome.

I think that my wife being a nurse and my training in the Corps and my 10 years of boyscouting would prepare me for most of what life could bring. I believe that we know enough about staying alive that even in the face of major disaster we'd be prepared not only to support ourselves but be an asset to the community. We don't stock pile food but do generally (as a coincidence) have gallons and gallons of water on hand (Sam's...I don't like to go often so I stock up). I also think I have a good handle on what's edible and what isn't.

Do I really think any of this will happen? Not really.

The only really major incident that I could see happening during our lives is war on US Soil. Is it likely? Not really. Possible- yes. The weird thing is that there are so many small arms in the US, that a very large and industrially capable nation would have to attack and have resources to fight its way through the heartland.

China? Probably not. By the time they have the money to fight the US, well... they won't care. They'll be rich. Oh- and we have nukes. Probably a deterrent. Oh, and the most powerful Navy on the planet. It would be a stretch.

What do I worry about? An economic melt down. The thing is that natural resources are so abundant in this part of the country that getting potable drinking water, food to eat, maintaining shelter, etc aren't really concerns. I think standard of living should be a concern for most Americans... not staying alive.

+Quote Post
vsrenard
post Sep 1 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #5

vsrenard

Sponsor
September 2008

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 5,438

Politics: Slightly Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

In the case of an attack by zombies, I would most likely get eaten. I own no firearms. I routinely cut myself with kitchen knives because I am clumsy. I have a dog who will wag her tail at anyone and wait for pets and kisses. I live by the ocean but I am a poor swimmer. I am an epileptic so without meds I might well seize and forget who I am. Hey, I might think I'm one of the zombies. w00t.gif

But, the house is well stocked with crates of water, canned food, first aid supplies, and whatnot. I'm also a pretty good climber and rappeler and I know of some caverns nearby. So with some prep time, I could probably manage not to get eaten in the first wave.

+Quote Post
Paladin Elspeth
post Sep 1 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #6

I want the 10th Doctor for President!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 721

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

I don't own guns, but if I did, I would want it to be a magnesium flare gun with lots of cartridges. If it could fell a T-Rex, it'll probably be good against zombies (kills most SyFy movie creatures). I always thought zombies were kind of dorky monsters anyway, just one step up from mummies. I forgot who the comic was who said that if you got caught by the Mummy, known to be a very slow-moving monster, you deserved it. rolleyes.gif

We have food. We have flashlights. We have kerosene lamps, and I have blunt and sharp instruments and one ranged combat weapon that we could call upon if we actually had to defend ourselves. Then there's always the handy-dandy aerosol can of oven cleaner to improve the odds in close combat!

We have bandages, and I have my RN experience for first aid.

But the fact is, should a cataclysm like the one warned about for December 21, 2012 actually take place, I'm not sure I'd want to stick around anyway.

This post has been edited by Paladin Elspeth: Sep 1 2009, 06:57 PM

+Quote Post
Ted
post Sep 1 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Ten Thousand Club

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 1,807

Party affiliation: Independent

I have a wood stove and a backup generator – and some gas to power it.

I have guns and know how to use them. – rifles and pistols. We have flash lights and batteries.

We keep extra water in the basement and enough can goods and rice to last for a few weeks. I think I would run out of water first and if I had any warning at all would stock up on more.

I do not have the ability to seal all doors and windows although my house is very “tight”.

I am an engineer and have taught martial arts for 30 years – I would not expect to need to defend my home but you can never tell.

Who knows? AQ has promised a return engagement and KSM says he had 3 people working anthrax. I think the next attack with be chemical/biological and will happen when and if AQ can obtain or build the weapons. Lets hope it never happens.

Another scenario is an attack on the electrical “grid” which is now run by specialized “embedded” computers. We know China has infiltrated this grid and we know that if it was heavily damaged we could be without power in some areas for months………

I think I will pick up Day by Day Armageddon by J.L Bourne at the library – sounds interesting.

+Quote Post
ZeeSaga
post Sep 2 2009, 01:43 AM
Post #8

Anarcho-Pacifist

Sponsor
November 2009

Member No.: 10,613

Party affiliation: Independent

No, I'm a starving college student so I'd just start raid places if that kinda thing happened.

A little Boy Scout and military training. I would just head towards the equator in a 10 person group with numerous skill, most importantly medical and hunting. I think it might be quite fun! w00t.gif

Not really, I think the biggest threat would be some nuclear holocaust situation but I don't see Obama going down that road, thankfully. Or maybe like 3 huge freezing hurricane that go from north to south... wait thats The Day After Tomorrow.

+Quote Post
gabrielk
post Sep 2 2009, 01:51 AM
Post #9

Contributor

Member No.: 10,593

Politics: Slightly Liberal
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

Similarly to Amlord, I am a Type I Diabetic and would join, presumably together with Amlord and others, the Zombie hords rather quickly, I think I may survive around a week or so without the Insulin, but it would be a horribler way to die and most likely I would end it Before the lack of insulin would kill me.

Say I stock up on a couple of hundred 100 x 10ml viles, sure, I may survive awhile, but food would ne needed in combination with this, I would just give up and let em have me.

For the family? I cook some really nice food, but no, and I think my wife would probably be a much nicer woman as a zombie anyway.

Only unstable dangerous nations, The U.S included, would start a nuclear war because of their xenophobia and fear of the world. Other then that nothing particular.

+Quote Post
Julian
post Sep 2 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Group: Committee Members
Member No.: 496

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Other

No, not really. My parents' generation were children during WW2, and their parents were adults then (though, through a quirk of the generations, all four of my grandparents were too old to serve in the military and/or were in reserved occupations). I remember my grandparents had cupboards groaning under the weight of all the tinned food they kept in there, and my parents still hoard food in a similar way.

I suppose I do to a certain extent, though in a more slapdash fashion (more to do with being forgetful and disorganised when it comes to home economics e.g. I'll buy a can of something or other, forgetting I've already got some at home.

I also use water purifying filters at home (the sort designed to take out the dissolved minerals that fur up kettles rather than to sterilise pondwater) though again that's more to prevent my kettle from furring up with the chalk/limestone that pervades the area I live in than any great forward planning, though I dare say I could put it to service.

And I have an open fireplace in my main living area, the chimney of which heats my bedroom rather nicely in cold weather.

So while I haven't planned for any particular hardships (other than today's main threat to the standard of living in the developed world - unemployment; mainly through recent experience of it) I am not the complete grasshopper to the self-sufficiency ants.

Firearms are not an option in the UK except for shotguns, and that's a minority hobby for hunting, clay shooting and pest control, rather than a home security essential, mainly because most of the criminal elements anyone's likely to come across are also unarmed. (There are some areas with gun crime problems, but they're the exception rather than the rule.)

Um, no.

I don't foresee any man-made disasters where I live (war, famine, etc.) in my lifetime, but then very few people who have to live through such things imagine they will happen, and 99 times out of 100, the survivors of such times are not limited to people with heavily-stocked guns cabinets and their own water supply.

Where I live is far enough above sea level that rising waters (from global warming, be it fictional, natural or manmade) will likely not affect me directly. It's on the lee side of a hill, so a

I think it much more likely that any sustained disaster will be of the meteor-strike, supervolcano, half-Canary-island-falling-into-the-sea-producing-tsunamis-a-mile-high nature, in which case I'd say maintaining a comfortable standard of living will only be possible for astronauts in orbit.

+Quote Post
moif
post Sep 2 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #11

suspending disbelief

Sponsor
February 2004

Member No.: 424

Politics: Undisclosed

We will be leaving Aarhus in the next year or so. Its becoming a threat to my children's well being to keep on living here.

Weapons are difficult to get a hold of in Denmark, unless of course you are connected to a criminal group which can import them. Most of the illegal weapons in Denmark have been brought in from Bosnia, by Muslim gangs. Consequently they are well armed and have begun to demonstrate their willingness to use their weapons.

I do, but age and illness have rendered it largely useless. Most of my family are mechanics and engineers however and if worst happens I would probably move out to my fathers house in the country side, it might not be safer in the long run, but it would remove us from the inner city war zones.

Oh yes. I see a future where Islamic immigration turns Europe into a new Lebanon. The ball is already rolling, with small scale skirmish warfare beginning all across Europe as Muslim groups flex their ever growing muscles. Unless something happens to avert the course of history, I think Europe is heading for war. I hope I'm wrong.

This post has been edited by moif: Sep 2 2009, 07:25 PM

+Quote Post
Dingo
post Sep 2 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #12

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 225

Party affiliation: Private

Funny, I've made no conscious preparations for major disasters. Nuclear war appears to be the most imminent biggy and how could you prepare for that? If somebody wants to kill me for whatever reason then I hope they shoot straight. I'm not into slow death.

Oddly just by virtue of available resources I could probably hold out better than a lot of folks. I have a small water tank that I feed off of a well. If I go primitive toilet wise that should keep me in water for a month. I can shift to charcoal outdoor cooking if the electricity goes off. I think I could manage about one month off my present food supply.

I have a small 22 and a bb gun(My more useful weapon which I use to put trapped mice out of their misery). The deer around here are plentiful and small which I guess could allow me to get fresh meat using my 22 close up.

Mostly though I think you cooperate with your neighbors and your surrounding community to work for the benefit of everybody.

Oddly, I used to be quite the survivalist. I have lived out at sea on tuna I caught and then turned into jerky. I've traipsed through the Sierras enjoying major food supplements from trout and gooseberries. I've certainly grown a lot of my own food. I used to have a small library of survival books.

For whatever reason age or other interests I've fallen away from most of that but I'm sure if necessity called some of those old skills would kick back in.

Around here and in much of California water shortages are looming. Already there are conflicts developing over that scarce resource. And of course we are becoming a fire prone state as global warming moves us more and more into a drought condition. Kind of chicken and eggish. Of course there is the state budget crisis with all the layoffs and reduced services. It looks like perfect storm conditions. ph34r.gif

I guess we just play it by ear.

+Quote Post
JohnfrmCleveland
post Sep 6 2009, 05:42 AM
Post #13

Master Debater

Sponsor
September 2009

Member No.: 8,090

Politics: Very Liberal

I'm not stocked up on food or anything. I think that any hoarding of food and supplies meant to last more than a week or so might give one a false sense of security. It's better to adapt to the new situation quickly than to hang on to the old way of life.

I don't own any guns or camping equipment, but I like to think of my family as my "survival team." For instance, I have two small dogs, both "ratting" breeds, that might come in handy by catching small game for me. Of course, one of the dogs, Dixie, is very old, and probably couldn't catch enough rats to be useful. So I'd eat her first. That might serve as a reminder to my other dog, Willie, to keep up his production of tasty rodents or face the consequences.

In order to survive for any length of time, you have to think ahead, be frugal with what assets and food you have, and learn not to waste anything. To that end, I would preemptively kill and eat my wife, before she could burn through any of my limited food stores. Resorting to cannibalism right from the get-go not only saves precious supplies, but provides me with more life-giving meat than I would get if I waited until she lost weight, becoming tough and chewy in the process. Plus, the longer cooking time needed to make old, sinewy meat palatable would be a waste of fuel. I would then fashion a set of crude but fearsome nunchaku from her femur bones.

I'm not yet sure what I would do with my daughters, 2 and 5, both of whom I love very much. A lot would depend on how much of my food they dared to ask for. Whether I ate them for the immediate nutrition or bartered them for food and supplies would be for the market to decide.

I'm a pretty good cook.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: October 23rd, 2018 - 02:42 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.