logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Going to jail for your beliefs, Up for it YOURSELF? Up for it for OTHERS?
akaCG
post Apr 14 2016, 12:08 AM
Post #1

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
August 2012

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 10,787

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

Intro (bolding mine):
A student sit-in at Ohio State University was shut down last week when a senior administrator informed the participants that they would be arrested and expelled if they didn’t retreat from their “occupied space” in the area outside of President Michael V. Drake's second-floor office.

The incident happened at Bricker Hall, Ohio State’s main administration building, which the students planned to occupy until school officials capitulated to a set of "demands." According to the Columbus Dispatch, the site became an "open mic" situation for about eight hours last Wednesday night, with dozens of students, faculty, and several advocacy groups participating.
Ohio State Vice President Jay Kasey paid the protesters a visit shortly after the occupation began, with a message from the president.

"Dr. Drake will never receive a list of demands and he will not negotiate with you," Kasey calmly informed the group before moving on to the next part of his conversation, which included the university's own list of demands.
"If you refuse to leave, then you will be charged with a student code of conduct violation," Kasey said. "If you are here at 5:00 a.m. we will clear the building and you will be arrested." He added, "We will give you the opportunity to go to jail for your beliefs."

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__iQGa0OkIs

Questions:

1. Which beliefs/principles of yours would you, my fellow ad.gif anonymous American citizens, be willing to go to jail for?

2. Which beliefs/principles should American citizens be jailed for?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
AuthorMusician
post Apr 14 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #2

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

1. Which beliefs/principles of yours would you, my fellow anonymous American citizens, be willing to go to jail for?

Pretty much nothing these days. I determined back in the late 1960s and early 1970s that going to jail for a cause was a ploy to get face time in the news. Since the criminal record would stick and screw me up a lot worse than helping the cause, decided that working within the system was a better strategy. As it turned out, the Vietnam police action finally ended, and Richard M. Nixon finally resigned. Maybe the little bit I did outside of prison didn't make a difference, but it's for sure that visiting the slammer would have not only been useless but self-destructive.

Also, all those so-called campus radicals were actually working against their causes, turning off the adults in the country, getting the rednecks to actively hate the longhairs. This is why those of my generation only protest peacefully, most of the time, since learning those lessons. Evidence of this are the peaceful demonstrations that occurred before the liberation of Iraq.

Speaking of which, I visited an anti-war demonstration in Colorado Springs during the pre-liberation time. Seems that spending slammer time for a cause has become a badge of honor among certain types, usually youngsters in college. Back in my day, there was an amount of popularity that could be gleaned that way, worth pretty much nothing. Most of my generation was concerned about surviving over trying to save the world. There was a handful of actual radicals surrounded by kids from wealthy families, the wealth insulating them from the harsh realities of trying to make it as a former convict.

2. Which beliefs/principles should American citizens be jailed for?

None. People are jailed for the actions they take, whether based on beliefs/principles or not. For example, I once shared a house with a raging vegetarian (among other odd characters) who was just fine until he upset the meat displays in a local grocery store. He was busted for upsetting the flesh-changers' tables, not for believing that a vegetarian diet is the only way to be.

An exception is plotting against the government, which could be considered treason if it goes far enough.

While it can happen, and often during times of social upheaval, that the police arrest people who haven't been breaking actual laws, this is also a crime. Today it's about killing citizens for no good reason, which is an even worse crime.

The actions of certain religious groups might be illegal, but holding those beliefs and principles are not. Even believing in human sacrifice isn't illegal until an actual sacrifice is made. Then it's murder.

While living in downtown Memphis, a street preacher was chased away and might have been locked up, not sure, but he never returned. His offense was not what he was preaching but the volume of his voice. He was disturbing the peace under a noise statute. Interesting enough, electric music was encouraged as a big part of the ambiance a few blocks away on Beale Street. I can see an argument could be made in favor of the street preacher. Go do your ministry on Beale Street among the musicians -- might even lend some historical flavor to the overall experience. Over here Gales, Talib, Shines, and Tucker; over there Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Remember to tip well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: October 18th, 2018 - 08:23 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.