logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Do you intend to vote?, The Mid-term Elections are coming
Do you intend to vote?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
Curmudgeon
post Oct 10 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #1

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 729

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

In High School Civics, we used to hear of graveyard voters, "Vote early and Often," and other practices of the past. I once heard it reported that the City of Chicago was incorporated as a city with more votes cast to do that; than the Census Bureau found people living in the Chicago area in the Census taken before and the Census taken after the election.

Looking at a random statistical analysis of voter turnout, it would appear that a 37% turnout for the mid-term elections would be about the best we should expect. That means that 19% of registered voters could theoretically constitute a "majority" at the polls on Election Day. With less than a 40% turnout, we essentially have a "1 voter = 2-1/2 votes" ratio instead of "1 man, 1 vote."

The Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission decision means that more money than ever is going in to advertising, PACS, "influencing the voters," etc. The media reports routinely how much it costs to win an election in today's world...and sends the politicians their bills for the advertising.

The TEA Party wants to "take our government back," but will they show up at the polls?

It's an old argument, "One vote doesn't count." vs. "We have the best government money can buy."

Choose a topic for Discussion:
Why I feel it is important that I vote.
Why I don't feel it is important that I vote.

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Oct 10 2010, 07:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 25)
Belshazzar
post Oct 15 2010, 02:25 AM
Post #21

Five Hundred Club

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,406

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

QUOTE(Curmudgeon @ Oct 10 2010, 03:34 PM) *

I could say civic duty, etc. But I always vote third party and I do get a strange satisfaction out of hearing "You're the reason [Democrat/Republican] lost the election!" mrsparkle.gif

+Quote Post
nighttimer
post Oct 15 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #22

Advanced Senior Contributor

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 504

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

I vote because not to disrespects and dishonors everyone that fought, bled and died to give me the right to vote. For far too long in this country Black people were systematically disenfranchised and not allowed to participate in this supposed democracy. To stay home only empowers those forces that would like to turn the clock back to that dark time.

Voting is more than a civic duty to me. It's a solemn responsibilty and one I take very seriously.

Besides, I like voting knowing doing so royally ticks off people who seriously hope I don't. mrsparkle.gif

+Quote Post
lederuvdapac
post Oct 15 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #23

Mr. Free Market

Sponsor
August 2006

Member No.: 2,573

Politics: Independent
Party affiliation: None

Why I don't feel it is important that I vote.

I will not vote. Part of it is because I live in DC but am registered in NY. The main reason is because my vote doesn't really matter. There aren't really any candidates on the ballot that I think would do a good job and even if there was one *I* thought would do a decent job, they would lose by thousands of votes. So there is no practical reason for me to vote other than the appeal to "civic duty," which I do not find very convincing.

Politics are a commons. Nobody is responsible for their vote. Nobody is accountable for their actions. The value of an individual vote is negligible, therefore people remain rationally ignorant of the major issues and vote with what makes them feel good.

If there was a candidate that I favored, I would probably put in the effort for solidarity reasons more than anything. But I would not fall sway under the illusion that my vote mattered.

This post has been edited by lederuvdapac: Oct 15 2010, 03:07 PM

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Oct 15 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #24

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Got my mail-in ballot yesterday. I'll be taking a break from working with a new tech client this afternoon and voting in my home office. Then it's off to do errands and drop the ballot off at the post office.

Sure beats waiting in line and fits nicely into my schedule.

+Quote Post
Curmudgeon
post Oct 29 2010, 01:37 AM
Post #25

I am an unpaid protester!

Sponsor
August 1, 2003

Member No.: 729

In a midterm election with an expected 35 39% turnout, 20% of registered voters represent a majority. If we wish to preserve our democracy, every vote counts. If you are registered, please take the time to vote!

The AARP has a very effective GOTV campaign going. If I ask for a senior discount, I get reminded to vote!

I used to get this sort of links from the labor unions when I was employed. The following came from an e-mail from The Coffee Party encouraging members to GET OUT THE VOTE!

To promote voting sanely, here are some great resources to share with everyone you know:

Polling Place locator (New tool by Google)

2. Vote Smart (Amazing tool for getting information and matching you with the best candidate)

3. Local Voter Guides (Find one for your town or create your own)

4. Election Hotline (Ask questions and report problems)

5. Politifact (Check to see which campaign ads are true or false)

This post has been edited by Curmudgeon: Oct 29 2010, 01:38 AM

+Quote Post
Raptavio
post Oct 29 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #26

Advanced Senior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,458

Politics: Very Liberal

The future belongs to those who show up.

I became eligible to vote in 1989 and cast my first votes for the mayor and city council of St. Paul MN. (I voted for Jim Schiebel, who won and served until 1993, when he did not seek reelection and was replaced by Norm Coleman, and Paula Maccabee for City Council, who was running for reelection, won, and served one more term.) I've voted ever since.

The candidates for whom I voted have won, have lost, and have won and lost in real squeakers with recount battles (Franken, Gore). These things have taught me that every vote counts.

Not only am I voting, but I am participating in GOTV efforts, phone banking for my state Rep this weekend.

There are some out there who want to reject our electoral system, who make noises about choosing the bullet box when they can't win at the ballot box. Sharron Angle has alluded to it, Glenn Beck has alluded to it to the point where he's sponsored by those capitalizing on those who want to prepare for it, a Congressional candidate in Texas has overtly stated it, and festering little pools of the Internet plan for it.

Anyone who would reject democracy when their side loses is no American, I say. Win or lose, fair and free elections are the best means of preserving our democracy. And more power to it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: July 22nd, 2018 - 08:16 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.