logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Planning Ahead, Keeping AD's community together
net2007
post Jun 13 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Millennium Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,629

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

I was wondering if anybody else here thinks it's a good idea to have a backup plan just in case Americasdebate goes down. It's possible that Mike and Jamie will come back with further plans for AD because they're continuing to pay for the cost of the domain and thus far when the website has gone down, as it did a few days ago, they've worked to fix the problem but in the scenario that we do lose AD, we'd lose what's left of our debating community and some of us have debated here for over a decade. Personally, I've debated here since 2007, have gotten to know some of the members, and developed a lot of my debating skills here so from my perspective it'd be unfortunate to see that happen. AD is also an interesting concept in itself, I think America should have a dedicated spot to debate a range of issues, including with members of other nations when they find an interest.

As for what we'd plan to do if the website goes down, I'm open to any ideas. Perhaps we could think of a common place we'd meet in the scenario that the website goes down, or exchange contact information and figure that out at a later time, there's a number of things that we could do.

This post has been edited by net2007: Jun 13 2018, 06:06 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 20)
AuthorMusician
post Today, 03:22 PM
Post #21

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Slatestarcodex.com

Looks pretty darn good to me on the first blush. A few high-level observations:

1) The blog host writes good English, meaning attention is paid to grammar, spelling and punctuation in an academic/AP sort of way.

2) The blog host is careful not to come off as an expert on fields in which he is not an expert.

3) This is indeed a blog, so it has some advantages that a moderated debate site doesn't, perhaps most important is that moderation is centralized to the blog host. This means only one person's opinion counts on what gets published, therefore allowing a consistency that is difficult, if not impossible, to achieve with multiple moderators.

Anyway, I'll be going there more often as a place to maybe understand the thinking behind opinions with which I disagree and weaknesses in my own thinking while keeping in mind that ever-present principle of thinking:

Within all the things that can possibly be known, all I've got is one tiny little grain of dust.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: June 25th, 2018 - 05:47 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.