Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Bullet-stopping Goo, Tech answer to mass shootings?
post May 14 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #1

Glasses and journalism work for me.

November 2003

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 297

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

One of our bright AFA cadets came up with a very interesting application of bullet-stopping technology:

Air Force Academy cadet creates goo that stops bullets

The goo gets more effective as the power of the bullet goes up, meaning mass and speed. So a .44 magnum doesn't penetrate as much as a 9 mm. That's the state of this art right now, patent pending.

The prototype product uses other materials that have bullet-stopping capabilities, so the goo becomes wearable and cloth-like for use in tents and tarps.

What does this technology mean for the future of the civilian firearm industry? Think home invaders wearing bulletproof goo suits, thereby taking away a major reason to own a firearm.

How might this technology impact military missions and/or law enforcement? Think ineffective small arms fire and shrapnel, either incoming or outgoing.

How could this tech be used to thwart would-be mass shooter-killers?

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
Mrs. Pigpen
post May 15 2017, 11:26 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Carpe noctum

June 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 598

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

This is a neat new innovation I hadn't heard of, AM! smile.gif

I think the answer to all of your questions would depend a lot on price and maneuverability.
Out in war zones right now, they wear a type of body armor that's better than the average bullet proof vest. I'm sure this goo isn't as good as that. But it might help police officers.

And since bullet proof vests are already in existence so I don't know if it would have much impact on the home invasion type scenario.
And mass shootings...well, I think they'd have to aim for the head (guess I'm just stating the obvious) if a shooter were wearing it.
Currently some types of drugs coupled with adrenaline can still keep a shooter going for several minutes even after he has been fatally wounded unless he/she is injured in a way that completely shuts down his/her ability to move.

This post has been edited by Mrs. Pigpen: May 15 2017, 11:32 AM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: March 22nd, 2018 - 11:34 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.