logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> Is Obama even eligible?
holdingtheline
post Aug 24 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Century Mark

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,449

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

A member of the democrat party has just filed suit in federal court alleging that Obama is ineligible to be the POTUS because of citizenship issues.
read the full story here

While I personally suspect some of the allegations are true, I am more interested in your thoughts on the following, since the man who filed the suit is a staunch Hillary supporter.

1. Is she aware of the suit, maybe even directly behind it?

2. Is this why she still seems to be hanging onto the possibility of getting the nod in Denver?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ringwraith
post Aug 24 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #2

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 697

Politics: Slightly Conservative
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

QUOTE(holdingtheline @ Aug 24 2008, 10:57 AM) *
A member of the democrat party has just filed suit in federal court alleging that Obama is ineligible to be the POTUS because of citizenship issues.
read the full story here

While I personally suspect some of the allegations are true, I am more interested in your thoughts on the following, since the man who filed the suit is a staunch Hillary supporter.

2. Is this why she still seems to be hanging onto the possibility of getting the nod in Denver?

1. I'm sure shes aware of it.....I highly doubt shes behind it.

2. No, I think that ship has sailed. If Hillary still has aspirations to become president someday, its going to be in 2012 or 2016...not 2008.

+Quote Post
DaytonRocker
post Aug 24 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 547

Politics: Moderate
Party affiliation: Republican

QUOTE(holdingtheline @ Aug 24 2008, 11:57 AM) *
read the full story here

Looks to me as mostly sour grapes. As shown here , he was born in Hawaii.

+Quote Post
Lesly
post Aug 24 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #4

'Bryos before Hoes!

Sponsor
May 2004

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 2,838

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: None

DR got to the FactCheck.org link before me. Sour grapes indeed. But Clinton's supporter probably got the idea to derail the election from crazy right wing bloggers. I really mean crazy.

It makes me only a little glad she didn't get the party's nod. A little because I'm sure Obama (or whoever would've gotten the nomination) won't be able to purge the explicative crazy DLC centrist diehards.

+Quote Post
Zack
post Aug 24 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #5

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 8,030

Politics: Undisclosed

The Daily Kos has an interesting article on this case here http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/22/12.../688/867/572715

If in fact the case has been accepted by the FEC it is still under review according to their site
By law, FEC must attempt to resolve its enforcement cases or Matters Under Review (MURs) through a confidential investigative process that culminates in a conciliation agreement with the respondent(s). Should that process fail, both the Commission and the respondent(s) have the option to pursue the matter to court. Links to additional information on the enforcement process and to closed MUR files appear below.
http://www.fec.gov/em/mur.shtml#recent The same site has a listing of closed cases and rejected cases, MUR's of which neither has the alleged filings results.

It would appear that the case is under review, and if so based on the alleged filing http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2066207/posts the complainant request the court not allow Obama to be nominated until the case is resolved. I would guess the FEC is doing some fact checking of their own with the upcoming deadline.

+Quote Post
slim
post Aug 25 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #6

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 1,361

Politics: Very Liberal

There is a lawsuit cahllenging McCain's eligibility as well. It is stated that because the law granting him citizenship was not enacted until after his birth and the law at the time of his birth did not grant him citizenship, he is not a natural-born citizen.

Link

What a crazy world.

+Quote Post
scubatim
post Aug 25 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #7

Millennium Mark

Member No.: 8,004

Politics: Very Conservative
Party affiliation: Independent

QUOTE(DaytonRocker @ Aug 24 2008, 01:11 PM) *
QUOTE(holdingtheline @ Aug 24 2008, 11:57 AM) *
read the full story here

Looks to me as mostly sour grapes. As shown here , he was born in Hawaii.

If that site is correct, what about the other issues? Anything refuting the Indonesian adoption?
Berg cited a number of unanswered questions regarding the Illinois senator's background, and in today's lawsuit maintained that Sen. Obama is not a natural born U.S. citizen or that, if he ever was, he lost his citizenship when he was adopted in Indonesia. Berg also cites what he calls "dual loyalties" due to his citizenship and ties with Kenya and Indonesia.

+Quote Post
AuthorMusician
post Aug 25 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #8

Glasses and journalism work for me.

Sponsor
November 2003

Member No.: 297

Party affiliation: Democrat

If that site is correct, what about the other issues? Anything refuting the Indonesian adoption?

Scuby, I do think that a citizen has to formally renounce citizenship in order to lose it. I also think you have to be of age to either renounce or take on some other citizenship. Well, that's what I think. Not at all sure, so I guess legal minds more informed than mine will have to call that shot.

It is interesting that this flap is happening. I've never seen anything like it in any other political campaign.

But it looks like Obama has met federal requirements for the proof of citizenship, which is a birth certificate. I have a half dozen copies of mine from St. Louis County in Minnesota, just in case somebody mistakes me for being Canadian. I'm working with those guys now and picking up the vocal inflections, as in how you pronounce project and out.

As for the debate questions, they are even more speculative than the accusations of not being a natural-born citizen. I'm suspecting that whatever judge hears this thing will be ROTFL, but then I remember who appointed these federal judges and those other judges fired for not being loyal enough minions.

Could this be a sneak attack from the Bush-hit Republicans? Did they bribe a Clinton supporter to pull this off?

Holy cow, what would the ramifications of that be?

So I guess speculation abounds, eh? (must be Canadian)

This post has been edited by AuthorMusician: Aug 25 2008, 02:28 PM

+Quote Post
Zack
post Aug 25 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #9

Five Hundred Club

Member No.: 8,030

Politics: Undisclosed

QUOTE(AuthorMusician @ Aug 25 2008, 10:28 AM) *

Scuby, I do think that a citizen has to formally renounce citizenship in order to lose it. I also think you have to be of age to either renounce or take on some other citizenship. Well, that's what I think. Not at all sure, so I guess legal minds more informed than mine will have to call that shot.

It is interesting that this flap is happening. I've never seen anything like it in any other political campaign.

But it looks like Obama has met federal requirements for the proof of citizenship, which is a birth certificate. I have a half dozen copies of mine from St. Louis County in Minnesota, just in case somebody mistakes me for being Canadian. I'm working with those guys now and picking up the vocal inflections, as in how you pronounce project and out.

As for the debate questions, they are even more speculative than the accusations of not being a natural-born citizen. I'm suspecting that whatever judge hears this thing will be ROTFL, but then I remember who appointed these federal judges and those other judges fired for not being loyal enough minions.

Could this be a sneak attack from the Bush-hit Republicans? Did they bribe a Clinton supporter to pull this off?

Holy cow, what would the ramifications of that be?

So I guess speculation abounds, eh? (must be Canadian)
I actually question if an actual complaint has been made to the FEC, I think the news would be reporting on it 24-7 if that were true?

I'm rather surprised of your conclusions about the FEC check out this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Election_Commission Note recent appointees!

If you Google ... FEC appointments ... the first link will show McCain was hooked at the waist with the Democrats asking Bush not to fill vacancies. Other links indicate the it was Leader Reid that was blocking filling vacancies until recently.

On a personal note, I don't have a birth certificate, I was born at home with the assistance of a midwife but my parents did report the birth to the county registrar and there is a record of the time, date, parents, midwife and so on that is of equal value of a birth certificate once certified by the clerk. I would think that the county registrar would have such a record of Obama's birth indicating the hospital or if at home the midwife present or whatever is locally valid to prove birth. If the birth did not take place in a Hawaii hospital and the "report of birth" were made later than considered reasonable then his place of birth could be questioned. If this were not the case then many young illegal immigrants could be claimed by their parents to have been born in America to change the illegal status of the parents?

My wife was active military when my oldest son was born and we were in Germany, my son was born in a German hospital and the hospital and the military medical offices informed us that to assure his US citizenship we must report the birth to the US Consulate and then apply for a US passport for the child. So if Obama were born outside of the US he would have to be smuggled back into the US in order for him to be issued a Hawaii birth certificate based on a "report of birth" by the mother at a later date.

Clearly there should have been a report of birth by the hospital where he was born or a timely report by the parents if he wasn't born in a hospital to the county registar if he were born in Hawaii so these records should put the matter to rest.

+Quote Post
Doclotus
post Aug 25 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #10

Stirred, not shaken

Sponsor
April 2004

Member No.: 2,898

Politics: Slightly Liberal

As part of FactCheck.org's pictures, there is clearly a birth announcement from Hawaii dated from that time of birth. Or is anyone donning a large enough tin foil hat to believe that Obama's conspiratorial candidacy is 47 years in the making? dry.gif

+Quote Post
GuardianAngel
post Nov 4 2008, 02:20 AM
Post #11

Senior Contributor

Member No.: 1,782

Party affiliation: Libertarian

There are questions as to the authenticity of BHOs "Certification of Live Birth" such as

1) the fact that the image has been edited with photoshop on at least 2 occasions, easily found with a hex editor. June 12th at 8:42
am On a Mac running CS3 and on

Edited to remove as it was in error. thanks.

3) even if his birth certificate is real.... He was adopted by Lolo Soetoro and moved to Indonesia, where his stepfather registered him in school as an Indonesian National of Muslim faith. the faith is not an issue, the nationality is... if he had his citizenship changed by his father then he must be naturalized, as he lost his "Natural Citizenship" when it was changed by his adopted father. (Indonesia Does not recognise dual citizenship with the US)

4) His grandmother says he was born in Kenya... apparently though the news sites that had this have redirected to their main pages as I can no longer find the articles in question ....

5) His sister does not know which of the hospitals in hawaii he was born in, as she has given at least two different ones in different interviews.

6) this is not his original birth certificate as the document itself is from no earlier than november of 2001 and is laser printed.

and this is just the short list.

This post has been edited by GuardianAngel: Nov 4 2008, 02:32 AM

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Nov 4 2008, 02:24 AM
Post #12

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 927

Party affiliation: Other

You have to be a pretty major moron to still buy into that "he is not a citizen" crap. I mean, really, really big moron. ON the level of redneck stupid of the swift boat liars-true believer type.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/citizen.asp

+Quote Post
BoF
post Nov 4 2008, 02:34 AM
Post #13

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

I'm at a loss GuardianAngel. This thread has been dormant since August and DaytonRocker linked a factcheck.org article in post #3.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

The thought of an Obama victory must have you so upset you are grasping at any straw regardless of how remote. Come on now, you are a big boy. Reality can't be that hard to accept.

Better luck in four years. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by BoF: Nov 4 2008, 02:35 AM

+Quote Post
GuardianAngel
post Nov 4 2008, 03:14 AM
Post #14

Senior Contributor

what is this then ...

Image Link

It lists Barrys name as Barry Soetoro and his nationality as indonesian ....

just questions... sorry I have been away and have just recently ( in the last week) come snooping back by.

why are there no fewer than 2 federal lawsuits currently with standing to confirm or deny his citizenship?

and why does he refuse to produce his COLB?

This post has been edited by Jaime: Nov 4 2008, 03:21 AM
Reason for edit: Edited to remove image in accordance with forum rules.

+Quote Post
turnea
post Nov 4 2008, 03:20 AM
Post #15

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

Member No.: 133

Urban Legend:
Check the Snopes.com page.

Link

...and don't mix pop rocks and soda, you'll explode tongue.gif

Seriously though these rumors are false as Bof factcheck article shows.

+Quote Post
GuardianAngel
post Nov 4 2008, 03:47 AM
Post #16

Senior Contributor

QUOTE(CruisingRam @ Nov 4 2008, 02:24 AM) *
You have to be a pretty major moron to still buy into that "he is not a citizen" crap. I mean, really, really big moron. ON the level of redneck stupid of the swift boat liars-true believer type.

Other than the above being being flatly abusive ...

the snopes article does not address his step-fathers (Lolo Soetoro) adoption of Barry Soetoro, and as such is not something to refute the question at hand. notice I did BOLD my biggest question ... as that even if his BC was correct... which the school registration would support... Barry was apparently an Indonesian when he was admited to school in 1967

+Quote Post
BoF
post Nov 4 2008, 03:51 AM
Post #17

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE(GuardianAngel @ Nov 3 2008, 09:47 PM) *
QUOTE(CruisingRam @ Nov 4 2008, 02:24 AM) *

Other than the above being being flatly abusive ...

the snopes article does not address his step-fathers (Lolo Soetoro) adoption of Barry Soetoro, and as such is not something to refute the question at hand. notice I did BOLD my biggest question ... as that even if his BC was correct... which the school registration would support... Barry was apparently an Indonesian when he was admited to school in 1967

Thankfully, just one more day of this. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by BoF: Nov 4 2008, 03:51 AM

+Quote Post
turnea
post Nov 4 2008, 03:51 AM
Post #18

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

Who is Barry Saetoro and why are we assuming he is Barack Obama?

+Quote Post
GuardianAngel
post Nov 4 2008, 03:53 AM
Post #19

Senior Contributor

QUOTE(turnea @ Nov 4 2008, 03:20 AM) *
Urban Legend:
Check the Snopes.com page.

Link

...and don't mix pop rocks and soda, you'll explode tongue.gif

Seriously though these rumors are false as Bof factcheck article shows.

I did and it has nothing to refute that Barry was adopted by Lolo Soetoro and an indonesian citizen when he went to school there as his registration shows.

QUOTE(turnea @ Nov 4 2008, 03:51 AM) *
Who is Barry Saetoro and why are we assuming he is Barack Obama?

Barry Soetoro was the name his mothers second husband Lolo Soetoro used to enroll Barry into school in indonesia under.

+Quote Post
turnea
post Nov 4 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #20

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

QUOTE(GuardianAngel @ Nov 3 2008, 09:53 PM) *
Barry Soetoro was the name his mothers second husband Lolo Soetoro used to enroll Barry into school in indonesia under.

Can you prove that?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: July 17th, 2018 - 08:06 AM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.