logo 
spacer

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

If you have an opinion, you should share it! Register Now!

America's Debate hosts the best in news, government, and political debate. Register now to take part in the most civil and constructive debate on the Internet. Join the community, and get ready to be challenged!

Click here to start

> Sponsored Links

Register to remove these ads!
> The over and under, How long will it take for Obama to start the backtracking?
Royucker
post Nov 3 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #1

Junior Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,724

Politics: Undisclosed
Party affiliation: Undisclosed

If Obama wins, how long after the polls close on Tuesday, before he starts to back away from his promises and policies and to down play expectations for his presidency?
I vote under 1 week.

In the debates and on the stump we heard time and time again that people making less than $250K per year would not have their taxes raised.

Here in Virginia over the last few days, Obama is running an ad where he says, if you have a job and make under $200K you will get a tax cut or wont have your taxes raised.

Recently Bill Richardson, who has been going all over the country to stump for Obama said that if you made less than $120K you would get a tax cut.

Questions are:

Is Obama backtracking on his promise about tax increases or cuts?

What other promises or policies might he go back on or change if elected?

Is Obama setting the table to lessen the expectations and go back promises if elected?

This post has been edited by Jaime: Nov 3 2008, 07:29 PM
Reason for edit: Edited to add in debate questions into body of post
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
turnea
post Nov 3 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

Group: Sponsors
Member No.: 133

Politics: Liberal
Party affiliation: None

Neither candidate specified what they'd cut in light of the financial crisis. Whoever wins is going to be staring a weak economy and big deficit in the face, so the constraints are considerable.

That said Obama's tax cuts will survive as a stimulus measure, the tax raises on those over $250K will likely be phased in over a few years.

I rather suspect he won't do much backing down actually, anyone taking over from Bush is going to interpret his abysmal performance rating as a bit of a mandate.

This post has been edited by turnea: Nov 3 2008, 05:03 PM

+Quote Post
droop224
post Nov 3 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Senior Contributor

Member No.: 3,073

Politics: Very Liberal

Well Roy...

Seeing he won't actually be in a position to make major decisions until at least january... i'll take you up on that bet!! thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Gotta love conservatives w00t.gif

+Quote Post
Jaime
post Nov 3 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Elite Senior Contributor

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Politics: Independent

Topic closed...

Reason: Question to debate too vague.

Recommended action:
If you started this topic, please contact the staff member who closed it by clicking the PM button below this post with a clear question to debate.

Helpful links:
- Starting New Topics
- Survival Guide
- The Rules
- Staff Directory

Note: This is an automated response.

REOPENED.
Please debate:

Is Obama setting the table to lessen the expectations and go back promises if elected?

This post has been edited by Jaime: Nov 3 2008, 07:30 PM

+Quote Post
Royucker
post Nov 3 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #5

Junior Contributor

QUOTE(Jaime @ Nov 3 2008, 12:28 PM) *
[mod]
Topic closed...

Reason: Question to debate too vague.

Recommended action:
If you started this topic, please contact the staff member who closed it by clicking the PM button below this post with a clear question to debate.

Helpful links:
- Starting New Topics
- Survival Guide
- The Rules
- Staff Directory

Note: This is an automated response.

REOPENED.
Please debate:

[/mod]

THanks

+Quote Post
Aquilla
post Nov 3 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 421

Politics: Conservative
Party affiliation: Republican

Obama has already lied about accepting public financing for his campaign so there is absolutely no reason to believe he isn't lying about everything else he's promised including his tax policy. I think we can expect some drastic new tax increases in his first year, tax increases on virtually every working American. And, he'll blame them on Bush. rolleyes.gif

Aquilla

+Quote Post
turnea
post Nov 3 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #7

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

QUOTE(Aquilla @ Nov 3 2008, 03:00 PM) *
Obama has already lied about accepting public financing for his campaign so there is absolutely no reason to believe he isn't lying about everything else he's promised including his tax policy. I think we can expect some drastic new tax increases in his first year, tax increases on virtually every working American. And, he'll blame them on Bush. rolleyes.gif

Can we hold you to that?

I mean all we can do is guess in this discussion, but will anyone reconsider if and when there fears don't materialize?

+Quote Post
Royucker
post Nov 3 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #8

Junior Contributor

QUOTE(turnea @ Nov 3 2008, 04:02 PM) *

Can we hold you to that?

I mean all we can do is guess in this discussion, but will anyone reconsider if and when there fears don't materialize?

Turnea,
Care to address Obama reducing the $250K magic number to $200K or if you believe Bill Richardson, $120K?
Please note the $200K statement is Obama himself saying this not someones take on his words.

+Quote Post
turnea
post Nov 3 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #9

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

QUOTE(Royucker @ Nov 3 2008, 04:51 PM) *
Care to address Obama reducing the $250K magic number to $200K or if you believe Bill Richardson, $120K?
Please note the $200K statement is Obama himself saying this not someones take on his words.

Of course Bill Richardson isn't part of the Obama campaign.

That said the confusion between 200K and 250K is that tax cuts stop around 200K whereas taxes raises kick in at 250K.

The Tax Policy Center has a table:
Link(PDF)

+Quote Post
Aquilla
post Nov 4 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(turnea @ Nov 3 2008, 03:02 PM) *

Can we hold you to that?

I notice you didn't address the part of my post that dealt with Obama lying about accepting public funds.......

Tell me, Turnea, if he lied about that, can we believe him about anything else?

Aquilla

+Quote Post
Ted
post Nov 4 2008, 01:52 AM
Post #11

Ten Thousand Club

Sponsor
February 2007

Member No.: 1,807

Party affiliation: Independent

Questions are:

Of course – its been a lie from day one. Those 250K + people do not have the money needed to do what Obama has promised to left.

Prices will rise for energy as his promised “cap and trade’ system goes into effect. And gas prices will rise because he will TAX the oil industry. Basically every penny he gives away to get elected will be taken back – and then some. Count on it.

And certainly Obama will allow the lefty gun haters like Pelosi to pass gun bans galore. In fact gun sales are up dramatically in anticipation of just that.
Kiss your gun rights goodbye as Obama loads the SC with liberals who hate guns.

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/33489464.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...ft=1&f=1003

This post has been edited by Ted: Nov 4 2008, 02:23 AM

+Quote Post
turnea
post Nov 4 2008, 02:28 AM
Post #12

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

QUOTE(Aquilla @ Nov 3 2008, 07:45 PM) *
I notice you didn't address the part of my post that dealt with Obama lying about accepting public funds.......

Aquilla

The trouble is he never pledged unconditionally to accept public financing.

+Quote Post
CruisingRam
post Nov 4 2008, 02:30 AM
Post #13

Elite Senior Contributor

Member No.: 927

Party affiliation: Other

QUOTE(turnea @ Nov 3 2008, 06:28 PM) *
QUOTE(Aquilla @ Nov 3 2008, 07:45 PM) *

Aquilla

The trouble is he never pledged unconditionally to accept public financing.

Hmmm, I think this is one were Aquilla is right- he did make that promise, then broke it- I think he was right to do it, and maybe wrong to make the statement in the first place, but he did promise it Turnea- lets be fair here.

+Quote Post
turnea
post Nov 4 2008, 02:33 AM
Post #14

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

QUOTE(CruisingRam @ Nov 3 2008, 08:30 PM) *
Hmmm, I think this is one were Aquilla is right- he did make that promise, then broke it- I think he was right to do it, and maybe wrong to make the statement in the first place, but he did promise it Turnea- lets be fair here.

Fair eh?

Can anyone quote the words of this promise? Is there a source?

+Quote Post
Aquilla
post Nov 4 2008, 02:47 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(turnea @ Nov 3 2008, 08:33 PM) *
QUOTE(CruisingRam @ Nov 3 2008, 08:30 PM) *

Fair eh?

Can anyone quote the words of this promise? Is there a source?

We can start with this and move on from there. Obama lied, pure and simple. He lied about that, how can we believe him about anything else?

Aquilla

+Quote Post
turnea
post Nov 4 2008, 02:49 AM
Post #16

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

QUOTE(Aquilla @ Nov 3 2008, 08:47 PM) *
We can start with this and move on from there. Obama lied, pure and simple. He lied about that, how can we believe him about anything else?

Not what Campbell Brown said, what did he say?

+Quote Post
Doclotus
post Nov 4 2008, 03:28 AM
Post #17

Stirred, not shaken

Sponsor
April 2004

Member No.: 2,898

Politics: Slightly Liberal
Party affiliation: Democrat

Here's what Obama said:(pdf)
I have been a long-time advocate for public financing of campaigns combined with free
television and radio time as a way to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests. I
introduced public financing legislation in the Illinois State Senate, and am the only 2008
candidate to have sponsored Senator Russ Feingold’s (D-WI) bill to reform the presidential
public financing system. In February 2007, I proposed a novel way to preserve the strength of
the public financing system in the 2008 election. My plan requires both major party candidates
to agree on a fundraising truce, return excess money from donors, and stay within the public
financing system for the general election. My proposal followed announcements by some
presidential candidates that they would forgo public financing so they could raise unlimited
funds in the general election. The Federal Election Commission ruled the proposal legal, and
Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has already pledged to accept this fundraising pledge. If I am the
Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to
preserve a publicly financed general election.

I wasn't crazy about it when he decided to do it (much like his decision on telecom immunity regarding FISA), but I definitely understood why he decided to risk breaking that promise. When he made the pledge in 2007, I don't think he realized he would be looking at 3+ million individual donors to tap into. But it is a broken promise nonetheless.

Other than that, I don't really think the hyperbole coming from our more zealous friends on the right will match reality. Your guns and your taxes are likely quite safe.

+Quote Post
Aquilla
post Nov 4 2008, 03:31 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(turnea @ Nov 3 2008, 08:49 PM) *
QUOTE(Aquilla @ Nov 3 2008, 08:47 PM) *

Not what Campbell Brown said, what did he say?

So now Campbell Brown is a liar?

How about the Washington Post? From here......

You can read Obama's response here. The candidate highlighted the simple answer "Yes" and elaborated as follows:

In February 2007, I proposed a novel way to preserve the strength of the public financing system in the 2008 election. My plan requires both major party candidates to agree on a fundraising truce, return excess money from donors, and stay within the public financing system for the general election. My proposal followed announcements by some presidential candidates that they would forgo public financing so they could raise unlimited funds in the general election. The Federal Election Commission ruled the proposal legal, and Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has already pledged to accept this fundraising pledge. If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election.
When I asked Burton about this yesterday, he said that Obama would address the issue of public financing when he becomes the Democratic nominee and that it is premature to decide the matter now.

And from that page you can read Obama the liar's response directly here.....

Question I-B:
If you are nominated for President in 2008 and your major opponents agree to forgo private
funding in the general election campaign, will you participate in the presidential public financing
system?

Yes No ___

Comments (please limit to 250 words or less):

I have been a long-time advocate for public financing of campaigns combined with free
television and radio time as a way to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests. I
introduced public financing legislation in the Illinois State Senate, and am the only 2008
candidate to have sponsored Senator Russ Feingold’s (D-WI) bill to reform the presidential
public financing system. In February 2007, I proposed a novel way to preserve the strength of
the public financing system in the 2008 election. My plan requires both major party candidates
to agree on a fundraising truce, return excess money from donors, and stay within the public
financing system for the general election. My proposal followed announcements by some
presidential candidates that they would forgo public financing so they could raise unlimited
funds in the general election. The Federal Election Commission ruled the proposal legal, and
Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has already pledged to accept this fundraising pledge. If I am the
Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to
preserve a publicly financed general election.

He lied, Turnea (good name for you since you try to spin everything). HE LIED. If he can get away with lying about this as he has, who can believe him on anything else he says? So yes, he's going to raise taxes on people and drive our economy into the ground, just like Jimmy Carter.

Edited to add a response to Doc.....

I wasn't crazy about it when he decided to do it (much like his decision on telecom immunity regarding FISA), but I definitely understood why he decided to risk breaking that promise. When he made the pledge in 2007, I don't think he realized he would be looking at 3+ million individual donors to tap into. But it is a broken promise nonetheless.

Other than that, I don't really think the hyperbole coming from our more zealous friends on the right will match reality. Your guns and your taxes are likely quite safe.

A lie is a lie, except in the world of the sicko-pant left. Then it becomes a "broken promise". rolleyes.gif

Aquilla

This post has been edited by Aquilla: Nov 4 2008, 03:37 AM

+Quote Post
turnea
post Nov 4 2008, 03:38 AM
Post #19

Tweedy Impertinence

Sponsor
December 2005

QUOTE(Doclotus)

Obama said, from your quote.
If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election.

That's a conditional promise. He never said he would take public financing only that he would "aggressively pursue an agreement."

Weasel-Wording? Yes.

Lying? No.

He's a lawyer, remember to take him literally when he makes a pledge.

This post has been edited by turnea: Nov 4 2008, 03:42 AM

+Quote Post
BoF
post Nov 4 2008, 03:47 AM
Post #20

Giga-bite: "I catch mice & rats - 2 & 4 legs."

Sponsor
October 2004

Member No.: 3,423

Party affiliation: Democrat

QUOTE(turnea @ Nov 3 2008, 09:38 PM) *
Weasel-Wording? Yes.

Lying? No.

How about a couple of boxing analolgies? Obama either sucker-punched McCain dazed.gif or perhaps he roped a dope. wink2.gif It works either way. mrsparkle.gif

This post has been edited by BoF: Nov 4 2008, 03:55 AM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Go to the top of the page - Simple Version Time is now: November 15th, 2018 - 06:32 PM
©2002-2010 America's Debate, Inc.  All rights reserved.